Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

wow 21 pages in two weeks!! brillaint.

I finished week 7 this morning. Am thrilled, so motivated by the plan. I am like someone on rocket fuel these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

wow 21 pages in two weeks!! brillaint.

I finished week 7 this morning. Am thrilled, so motivated by the plan. I am like someone on rocket fuel these days.

Wow congrats!! Was that the 28min run?? You're nearly there!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi guys,
    Noticed this thread by accident last week. Its a great programme by the looks of it.
    I decided to give it a go and I downloaded the "music" to run with.
    I started yesterday evening, started W1D1 at 8:30 last night.
    I play some tag rugby (none since last august), Surf a bit (none since October) and am just back from a week skiing.
    I've a few stone to shed as I havent done much physical activity since last year.
    My wife started running (no particular programme) about three years ago and has done numerours 5k and 10k runs, last year she did a half marathon. She's kinda always trying to get me up off my ass!
    So anyway, my diet changed as of yesterday, no more crap and my running schedule began yesterday also. I'll also be playing Tag once a week for the next while so hopefully in 9 weeks time I'll be running 5k and be a heck of a lot fitter.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

I got to the end of Wk 4 last night, a few days later than i should have made it out but i did it. I found the last 5 mins tough and i stopped in the middle of it for 30 secs then i felt so bad and made myself run again at the end for 2 mins on a little up hill stretch.

I felt great afterwards but i still find i dont look forward to the running. I'll start wk 5 on wednesday, if the weather is like yesterday it'll be great....i even ran in shorts and string top which isnt like me but it was so airy and nice.

I also bought a couple of Yogalates DVDs and did about 45 minutes of one last night. I was doing a class of this in the gym but my membership runs out in about a month and I'm hoping i wont have to renew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

kippy wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Noticed this thread by accident last week. Its a great programme by the looks of it.
    I decided to give it a go and I downloaded the "music" to run with.
    I started yesterday evening, started W1D1 at 8:30 last night.
    I play some tag rugby (none since last august), Surf a bit (none since October) and am just back from a week skiing.
    I've a few stone to shed as I havent done much physical activity since last year.
    My wife started running (no particular programme) about three years ago and has done numerours 5k and 10k runs, last year she did a half marathon. She's kinda always trying to get me up off my ass!
    So anyway, my diet changed as of yesterday, no more crap and my running schedule began yesterday also. I'll also be playing Tag once a week for the next while so hopefully in 9 weeks time I'll be running 5k and be a heck of a lot fitter.
    Kippy

Best of luck with it all!:)

At least you'll have your wife there to help motivate you along with the running!:D

• Advertisement

Doing W1D3 tonight, really looking forward to heading out as it's such a beautiful day.

Was really itching to get out yesterday and because I had gone for the run so early on Sunday morning, I felt as if I had had my rest day on Sunday and that I was due to go out yesterday!

week7 is still 25 mins. 28mins so from thursday, looking forward to it!!

killykilly, i still am not brave enough to run in a vest and tracksuit although i was looking at myself in the mirrir before i put on my light running jacket and it didnt look terribly untidy!

week7 is still 25 mins. 28mins so from thursday, looking forward to it!!

killykilly, i still am not brave enough to run in a vest and tracksuit although i was looking at myself in the mirrir before i put on my light running jacket and it didnt look terribly untidy!

Oh so is week 7 three days of 25 min runs? Haven't looked at the plan for next week yet! Congrats for doing it!!
    kippy wrote: »
    Hi guys, Noticed this thread by accident last week. Its a great programme by the looks of it. I decided to give it a go and I downloaded the "music" to run with.
    I started yesterday evening, started W1D1 at 8:30 last night. So anyway, my diet changed as of yesterday, no more crap and my running schedule began yesterday also. I'll also be playing Tag once a week for the next while so hopefully in 9 weeks time I'll be running 5k and be a heck of a lot fitter. Kippy

Kippy, welcome to the C25K club! Well done for starting, you definitely won't regret it! I'm on week 6 at the moment and absolutely loving it!
    kikililly wrote: »
    I got to the end of Wk 4 last night, a few days later than i should have made it out but i did it. I found the last 5 mins tough and i stopped in the middle of it for 30 secs then i felt so bad and made myself run again at the end for 2 mins on a little up hill stretch.
    I felt great afterwards but i still find i dont look forward to the running.

Kilkilly well done for keeping going! You'll start to enjoy it soon don't worry!
    Doing W1D3 tonight, really looking forward to heading out as it's such a beautiful day.
    Was really itching to get out yesterday and because I had gone for the run so early on Sunday morning, I felt as if I had had my rest day on Sunday and that I was due to go out yesterday!

Sunshine, have fun when your out later!

Very jealous of everyone that is able to go for a run today! Saw loads of joggers this morning when I was out for my walk (rest day from C25K today), and one or two looked like C25K-ers (red faced, listening to ipod, jogging slowly, and looking like they were only half enjoying it!) :D Next jogging day is Thursday. :)

Very jealous of everyone that is able to go for a run today! Saw loads of joggers this morning when I was out for my walk (rest day from C25K today), and one or two looked like C25K-ers (red faced, listening to ipod, jogging slowly, and looking like they were only half enjoying it!) :D Next jogging day is Thursday. :)

I really never thought I'd be longing to go out running but I do!

I always try and guess who could be a C25K-er too!:P

Thursday isn't that far away and at least you can still go out and enjoy the sunshine!:)

I really never thought I'd be longing to go out running but I do!

I always try and guess who could be a C25K-er too!:P

Thursday isn't that far away and at least you can still go out and enjoy the sunshine!:)

Haha I know! Its crazy! Before I started the programme I was always like I'm grand with my walks, jogging is only for the very fit! But I now love it and having something to follow is fantastic! We've all been infected by jogger-enthusiasm-flu (as opposed to swine flu!) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Ah cool, i never knew this thread was here....
    i'm starting week 5 of couch to 5k.
    the third day of week 5 is 5 min brisk walk and then 20 mins jogging.... :eek::eek::eek: holly bananas...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

hyperbaby wrote: »
    the third day of week 5 is 5 min brisk walk and then 20 mins jogging.... :eek::eek::eek: holly bananas...
    Don't worry about it, the previous weeks will have you well prepared for it. :)

Ah cool, i never knew this thread was here....
    i'm starting week 5 of couch to 5k.

Hey girl, try not to worry too much about it! I did that last week and was nearly in tears the day before worrying about it! It actually was great fun and an amazing sense of achievement when I finished it! Have a look back at last Friday's posts from me, a couple of pages back!

Edit: Rainbow congrats for being made Mod!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I'm the same as you, doing W1D3 tonight. I'm going to keep an eye on your posts from now on as I know we're on the same part of the program :D It's just nice to know there's someone else at the same stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Hi All

Great thread - well done to all :D

I'm starting tonight - my nerves are gone!! Has anyone else done this in the gym?

Hey girl, try not to worry too much about it! I did that last week and was nearly in tears the day before worrying about it! It actually was great fun and an amazing sense of achievement when I finished it! Have a look back at last Friday's posts from me, a couple of pages back!

Edit: Rainbow congrats for being made Mod!

thanks for the encouragement guys!

i wouldn't go as far as call it fun but it definitely is a sense of achievement.
    i get a great kick out of ticking off the sheet as i complete the weeks.

at the end of february i signed up for a 5k series but didn't realise until a few weeks later that i actually needed to do training for it so thats how i discovered couch to 5k.
    i'll only be finished week 6 by the time it starts, but still better than having no training done.

thanks for the encouragement guys!

i wouldn't go as far as call it fun but it definitely is a sense of achievement.
    i get a great kick out of ticking off the sheet as i complete the weeks.

at the end of february i signed up for a 5k series but didn't realise until a few weeks later that i actually needed to do training for it so thats how i discovered couch to 5k.
    i'll only be finished week 6 by the time it starts, but still better than having no training done.

Is that the Galway 5K series? Wanted to do that too but only found out about it once the entries closed! Best of luck for them! You'll have run 25mins (4 and a bit K i think) by the end of week 6 so I'd say you'll be fine on the day for the first one. It'll only be another 5 or 10 mins extra. By the 2nd race you'll be flying it!
    I've entered the 5K in the phoenix park on the 9th of May which will be my W9D3 graduation present to myself! :D

Is that the Galway 5K series? Wanted to do that too but only found out about it once the entries closed! Best of luck for them! You'll have run 25mins (4 and a bit K i think) by the end of week 6 so I'd say you'll be fine on the day for the first one. It'll only be another 5 or 10 mins extra. By the 2nd race you'll be flying it!
    I've entered the 5K in the phoenix park on the 9th of May which will be my W9D3 graduation present to myself! :D

oh yeah that is the series, it sold out super fast.

fingers crossed i'll be okay for the first one, i have two weeks to go and i already trying to come with ways to get out of it...

wow, fair play to you! you are so enthusiastic about it.

also a huge well done to you about your weight loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭LessMass

Well I just did W1D2 and it was waaaayyyy tougher than day one! :( I was sick again with the thoughts of doing it (really have to get over my running phobia!) but I gave it a go and I can cross it off now :) My baby loved it! I could just hear her giggling away to herself as I was jogging :D
    then she fell asleep when I was cooling down and stayed asleep until after my shower - double result!! :D:D:D

I suppose I probably should just focus on the day's run but during it I couldn't help my mind from wandering and I was thinking to myself why did I even start this??? I'm only in week 1 and I'm finding it tough - and this is the easiest one!
    If it wasn't for this thread, I know me, I'd be seriously tempted to give up and just concentrate on walking - so thanks again lads & lassies....I'll plod on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Hi All

Great thread - well done to all :D

I'm starting tonight - my nerves are gone!! Has anyone else done this in the gym?

Hi Dubsgirl - I'm doing it in the gym too! I don't mind the treadmill, plus I can have a nice swim afterwards :) Once I get further into this C25K program I am looking forward to heading to the Phoenix park and doing a few runs, but so far it has been all gym based!

Well done LessMass for getting through last night, it can't have been easy but you did it!!!

• Advertisement

LessMass wrote: »
    Well I just did W1D2 and it was waaaayyyy tougher than day one! :( I was sick again with the thoughts of doing it (really have to get over my running phobia!) but I gave it a go and I can cross it off now :) My baby loved it! I could just hear her giggling away to herself as I was jogging :D
    then she fell asleep when I was cooling down and stayed asleep until after my shower - double result!! :D:D:D

I suppose I probably should just focus on the day's run but during it I couldn't help my mind from wandering and I was thinking to myself why did I even start this??? I'm only in week 1 and I'm finding it tough - and this is the easiest one!
    If it wasn't for this thread, I know me, I'd be seriously tempted to give up and just concentrate on walking - so thanks again lads & lassies....I'll plod on :)

do you do it pushing a buggy? fair play to you, that shows fantastic determination. I felt like quitting in the early days too. Not sure when i passed a point that i realised i liked it, maybe when i was doing 3 minute runs. Onto week 8 now and i love it.

oh yeah that is the series, it sold out super fast.

fingers crossed i'll be okay for the first one, i have two weeks to go and i already trying to come with ways to get out of it...

wow, fair play to you! you are so enthusiastic about it.

also a huge well done to you about your weight loss!

Thank you! :D:D
    You might be fine for the first one, just see how you're going in the program but definitely don't rush things either. What you could do is walk the first bit and then run for the time that you're doing in the program at the time (25 mins). But if you decide not to do it then I'll pretend to be you and run it for you :D:D
    When is the 2nd race? You'll probably be fine for that one if its around week 8 or 9. Dolliemix ran a race at the end of week 8 and she got on fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I finished Week 1 today! Thrilled but I'm scared to start Week 2 - running 90 seconds seems impossible! At least you get 30 seconds longer to walk as well as run. I'll just have to keep telling myself I can do it. I can do it. I can do it.

The biggest thing I noticed today was that when I came home I wasn't wrecked. Normally when I do any type of hard exercise I am exhausted afterwards and physically can't do anything. I couldn't even shower normally! Now I don't feel like I've done any exercise :)

I registered to do the Mini Marathon as runner ages ago. I'm hoping that by the time it comes around I'll be doing the 5K! I only registered as a runner because last year I found the walkers a bit too slow for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Week 2 isn't too much worse! The best part is the way there's only 6 runs instead of 8 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

So I did w1d1!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!Delighted with myself, my 60 year old mother did it with me, that woman is so fit for her age!! Was wrecked by the end of it but am glad I did it.
    Am trying not to think of the weeks to come and just get through the first week.
    Will do it again tomorrow and probably Saturday as am going to a bbq Thursday night and will be having a few drinks and having a few sat night for a friends bday so i know i wont do it Friday or Sunday. Will try to leave a rest day between each day from next week on.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭LessMass

do you do it pushing a buggy? fair play to you, that shows fantastic determination. I felt like quitting in the early days too. Not sure when i passed a point that i realised i liked it, maybe when i was doing 3 minute runs. Onto week 8 now and i love it.

Cheers newsizedbooty (class name btw) I did it pushing the buggy alright and to be fair I didn't like it much - but it's done and now I'm feeling like I'll be able for another run on Thurs but I'm still a bit nervous - I hate the whole panting/heavy breathing thing but I suppose I have to start somewhere. I reckon I'll do it two of the three days with the buggy (I've no choice) and then one day without, trying to make sure Day 1 of each new week is on my buggy free day - that's the plan but like all great plans it's subject to change :)

Fair play on making it to week 8 and it's good to hear you're loving it - I hope to get to that stage too......eventually! Will keep an eye on your progress :)

ergonomics wrote: »
    I'm the same as you, doing W1D3 tonight. I'm going to keep an eye on your posts from now on as I know we're on the same part of the program :D It's just nice to know there's someone else at the same stage!

:eek:I've got a stalker:eek:

Haha, sure I'm the same, it's good when somebody is at the same stage as you so I'll be keeping an eye on you too;)

Well completed W1D3 this evening:D
    Was a lovely evening, struggled a wee bit around run 5/6 but got back into it then and the buzz when I was driving home was unreal, just felt so elated!

But just when I started the 1st run I realised I had forgotten to wear my sports bra:eek:
    I was just like ah sh!t but thankfully I had a reasonably decent bra on so it wasn't too bad but you'd really know the difference in not having the support:eek:
    Lesson learned - never ever ever forget sports bra again!

EDIT: I used a lot of shocked faces in this post!!Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Completed W2D2 today!!! For some reason found it relatively hard today! Think it was the tough rebounding session from the night before! My stomach was in bits from the sit ups we do at the end and I think that affected me! Got through it anyway and felt great afterwards!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Having a think about starting this - couch very comfy though!

• Advertisement

Thank you! :D:D
    You might be fine for the first one, just see how you're going in the program but definitely don't rush things either. What you could do is walk the first bit and then run for the time that you're doing in the program at the time (25 mins). But if you decide not to do it then I'll pretend to be you and run it for you :D:D
    When is the 2nd race? You'll probably be fine for that one if its around week 8 or 9. Dolliemix ran a race at the end of week 8 and she got on fine.

The runs are on 6 tuesdays in a row starting on the 27th of April, ahhh so close now...
    Hopefully i can get through it, looking at others might give me more detemination!

Advertisement