Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

hyperbaby wrote: »
    The runs are on 6 tuesdays in a row starting on the 27th of April, ahhh so close now...
    Hopefully i can get through it, looking at others might give me more detemination!

Hey Hyperbaby I'm doing that series too, i'll only be on week 6/7 of the program by the first race. I'm really excited about it, only for it I'd be a bit more relaxed about the training program.
    By fluke i also got dragged into the all ireland run in phoenix park this week which will fall on W5 D3.

I think we'll get swept up in the buzz of it and it'll be no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

W2D2 completed this morning, got up and went off and did it straight away, i was tired and found it hard enough today. i didnt rellly sweat at all though. any one any idea why ? i was running outdoors.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

We'll be in the exact same boat so... I probably wouldn't be as pushed about completing my weekly exercises otherwise.
    that's cool, i won't be the only who isn't totally prepared for the series so.
    i really to hope that the buzz and adrenaline helps me along...

good luck with this weeks run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

hi all well done to everyone for getting out and doing it whatever stage your at on the program!

Im starting week2 tonight after work,am kind of looking forward to it and im kind of not looking forward to it at the same time. the whole running for 90 secs is putting me off but im gonna try not to think of it that way and just do it till im told to walk,jog,walk,jog. im hoping by not thinking about the time aspect that it will be a little easier!!. i got a walk in last night and must say i would have prefered to do a run instead but im gonna stick to the day on day off rule for now anyway.

anyway ill update how i get on later!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Got out for my jog this morning (W6D2) and it was great! Had 10mins jog, 3 mins walk and then 10 mins jog. Felt a bit better than I did on monday though the first few mins of the first run were still a little wobbly! Love these sunny days, it wasn't too hot today though, there was a bit of a cold breeze :D My battery on my ipod was in the red and was a bit worried that it would cut out half way through but it was grand.
    Today was the last interval day of the programme! Its all long jogs from here on eeek! :eek::D Friday morning will be my 25min jog :D
    Im starting week2 tonight after work,am kind of looking forward to it and im kind of not looking forward to it at the same time. the whole running for 90 secs is putting me off but im gonna try not to think of it that way and just do it till im told to walk,jog,walk,jog. im hoping by not thinking about the time aspect that it will be a little easier!!. i got a walk in last night and must say i would have prefered to do a run instead but im gonna stick to the day on day off rule for now anyway.
    anyway ill update how i get on later!!

Itsallaboutme, don't worry about the longer jogs, you'll totally be able to do it! I thought I wouldn't be able for them either but now look at me hehe! Its always the first day of each week thats the hardest/most intimidating (well up until week 4 anyway!). Try not to worry to much about it, you'll ace it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Well did W1D1 today in the gym and really enjoyed it. Definitely wasn't as hard as I was expecting it to be!! But I wonder is that because it's just generally easier to run on a treadmill??

Anyone know what kind of a distance is supposed to be covered in Week 1?
    My jog was quite slow I think especially in comparison to all the sprinters in the gym ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

W1D2 done.
    Had a 75 minute first training game of the season of Tag rugby and "C25k'd" home. Was surprised how okay it was although I suspect I may pay for it tomorrow.
    I've replaced any "sweet" drinks that I may have drank in the past with water and/or tea. I've also gotten rid of Coffee/Choclate and Crisps from my diet since monday. Am making a concerted effort to eat more salads and fish.
    Feeling good. Gonna do D3 on Friday after work.

kippy wrote: »
    W1D2 done.
    Had a 75 minute first training game of the season of Tag rugby and "C25k'd" home. Was surprised how okay it was although I suspect I may pay for it tomorrow.
    I've replaced any "sweet" drinks that I may have drank in the past with water and/or tea. I've also gotten rid of Coffee/Choclate and Crisps from my diet since monday. Am making a concerted effort to eat more salads and fish.
    Feeling good. Gonna do D3 on Friday after work.

Wow, you did the jogging after a rugby game! :eek::D Well done on giving up the sugary drinks!! Best of luck for Friday!! xx

Very jealous of everyone doing the Galway series! Its starting at exactly the right time for me, maybe I could just gatecrash and not get a medal! :D;)

Wow, you did the jogging after a rugby game! :eek::D Well done on giving up the sugary drinks!! Best of luck for Friday!! xx

Tag Rugby - Wouldnt be in the same league as rugby but still a fair bit of running about the place.
    Thats how its gonna be for most of the nine weeks. Run Monday, After or Before Tag on Wednesday and then again on Friday. Thats the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

Morning all, fab morning here in cork again. Did W8D1 this morning. Didnt notice any difference from running 25mins to running 28mins. Found it okay really, the first 5 mins are always tough but then i get into my stride. Also on the podcast there was that Beyonce song you know "Oh boy you looking and you like what you see"...well anyway matched my stride perfectly so that was a very enjoyable 4 mins!

I am probably going to have to run tomor morning as well cos I am going to London for the weekend and I dont wanna fall behind. Although with this volcanic ash closing airports its a bit in the air for now really.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

What the story with stretches?
    Do ye guys know of any good sites which explains how to do stretches properly?

hyperbaby wrote: »
    What the story with stretches?
    Do ye guys know of any good sites which explains how to do stretches properly?

I've used this one:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml
    Theres more detailed ones out there and I am sure theres stuff on Youtube as well.
    Stretching before and after is key.
    Dont feel to bad today despite 2 hours "activity" yesterday evening.

What podcasts are people using?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Well I did w2d1 last night. I have to say I did find it tough when it came to the 3rd run and i didnt think id be able to do the rest of it but i really pushed myself and managed to do all the rest of the runs. I was delighted when the last run finished and was really quite proud of myself. I have to give some credit to my OH though too he really helped me and just kept telling me I could do it:)

So its on to w2d2 but I wont be able to get out again to do it until saturday evening or maybe sunday so its a bit of a long break between stints but im hoping it wont be as hard next time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cherrypink

Hi guys,

Long time lurker here! I've been reading everyone's fitness logs and they're really inspiring so I'm going to give the C25k programme a go - should be fun seeing as I'm seriously unfit!! :o I was wondering though, on the days when you're not running, should you be completely resting or is it okay to do kinda longish walks (e.g. an hour or so) or other activities such as the gym, swimming etc? Any advice appreciated! :)

cherrypink wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Long time lurker here! I've been reading everyone's fitness logs and they're really inspiring so I'm going to give the C25k programme a go - should be fun seeing as I'm seriously unfit!! :o I was wondering though, on the days when you're not running, should you be completely resting or is it okay to do kinda longish walks (e.g. an hour or so) or other activities such as the gym, swimming etc? Any advice appreciated! :)

it depends on what you want to do. I exercise 6 days cos i want to lose weight. I would say that 3times a week is the minimum anyone should eb doing anyway. Good luck by the way, if you see on the very first post, Melai has posted up where to get the podcasts in case you hadnt spooted that already.

Itsallaboutme, i found the 90seconds VERY long. I think once you have the first three done you know you are over half way and it helps keep you going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FreeHugs

W1D3 done!! Bring on Week2! Well this is the longest I've ever exercised for before :) gonna pop up to dundrum after work tomorrow to pick up a new pair of runners, mine have had it (they never expected to see any form of physical exercise from me)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭LessMass

FreeHugs wrote: »
    W1D3 done!! Bring on Week2! Well this is the longest I've ever exercised for before :) gonna pop up to dundrum after work tomorrow to pick up a new pair of runners, mine have had it (they never expected to see any form of physical exercise from me)

good on ya FreeHugs. How did you find it today?

As you know I was on W1D3 too and I did it at noon and it was a lot easier when the sun wasn't shining like it was on D2! Like you, I never thought I'd actually say this but, I'm really looking forward to week 2 now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cherrypink

it depends on what you want to do. I exercise 6 days cos i want to lose weight. I would say that 3times a week is the minimum anyone should eb doing anyway. Good luck by the way, if you see on the very first post, Melai has posted up where to get the podcasts in case you hadnt spooted that already. QUOTE]

Thanks NSB! I'm definitely looking to lose weight (a hell of a lot!!!) so I'll plan to do other exercise on top of the C25k stuff. I just really want to get started on running cos I was at the Connemarathon last weekend with two of my brothers and I WISHED I could do something like that, but I need to start easy, hence the C25k!!! :) I've just checked out the podcasts and downloaded the podrunner one to my ipod, let's see how it goes! Feeling excited about starting this now, am going to get new runners at the weekend and start the programme then. Also going to start a food diary too I think to help with the weight loss... this boards stuff is getting addictive!!! :)

Cherrypink, I do 3 days of jogging (the C25K program) and the other days I go for an hour walk (but going to try and start cycling and swimming on some of those days in future). Best of luck!! Make sure you get proper runners!! (Ones with gel in the soles preferably-makes jogging easier)

LessMass and FreeHugs well done for finishing the first week!! Best of luck for next week, I know the runs look a bit more daunting but you'll both be totally ready for them! xx

Doing W6D3 tomorrow which is a 25 min run, not as scared of this as I was for the 20min run last week! Looking forward to it actually! Must go charge my ipod though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I started W2D1 yesterday but only got halfway through. I got home late from work and my OH was starving. He kinda rushed me out the door so I would be back to eat meaning I didn't get to eat or drink before I went out. The whole way my stomach was rumbling and my mouth was so dry I couldn't swallow. After the 3rd run all my muscles started getting really sore so I decided to go home before I did damage.

I was really disappointed though and I am adamant that, in future, I exercise on my turns. I keep rearranging my schedule to go with friends who inevitably change their minds at the last minute meaning my schedule is completely off. No more. I'm not waiting for anyone anymore. Might make another stab at W2D1 this evening.

• Advertisement

Exactly the right attitude ergo! :D Best of luck for this evening!

Did my W6D3 today, ran 25 mins woopee!! :D:D Ran most of my route today (so I think it was somewhere between 3 and 4K), was actually disappointed when she said stop cos I wanted to jog to the next milestone (the turn by the roundabout where I started!) (For anyone who knows galway, I just about ran from the turn at Bothair Stiofan (back rd into Dunnes/B&Q), along the Western Distributor up to where the rd spilts at cappagh and back down again (V proud!)):D:D Enjoyed it too (well most of it anyway!)

Have a great weekend everyone and best of luck for anyone whos going out running today or over the wkend! Believe you can do it and you will! :D xx

well done BN, you are into all long runs now and no more short intervals. 25 mins is great, i just finished W8D2 this morning and I can say there is no difference between this week and last week.

Are we still allowed post on this thread if we are a graduate??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

ergonomics wrote: »
    I was really disappointed though and I am adamant that, in future, I exercise on my turns. I keep rearranging my schedule to go with friends who inevitably change their minds at the last minute meaning my schedule is completely off. No more. I'm not waiting for anyone anymore. Might make another stab at W2D1 this evening.

Definitely agree with this. I've found that Sun, Tue and Thur suits me best for the runs so thats when I'm going to do them. Sometimes you just need to put yourself first!
    Did my W6D3 today, ran 25 mins woopee!! :D:D Ran most of my route today (so I think it was somewhere between 3 and 4K), was actually disappointed when she said stop cos I wanted to jog to the next milestone (the turn by the roundabout where I started!) (For anyone who knows galway, I just about ran from the turn at Bothair Stiofan (back rd into Dunnes/B&Q), along the Western Distributor up to where the rd spilts at cappagh and back down again (V proud!)):D:D Enjoyed it too (well most of it anyway!)

You are doing so well, so proud!:D

Yeah!!!! We need ye to inspire us!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

ergonomics wrote: »
    I started W2D1 yesterday but only got halfway through. I got home late from work and my OH was starving. He kinda rushed me out the door so I would be back to eat meaning I didn't get to eat or drink before I went out. The whole way my stomach was rumbling and my mouth was so dry I couldn't swallow. After the 3rd run all my muscles started getting really sore so I decided to go home before I did damage.

Don't worry about it. I had to turn back one day and an experienced runner posted on my thread telling me everyone has a run like that. Sometimes the body just wont do it for you. No shame in that. The night after, I felt fantastic when I went out. Get your friends to fit in around your exercise. Thats what I'm doing now. My health comes first. It's not like the C25k takes very long anyway. 30 mins and 10 min shower!! Your friends can wait an hour. Good luck tomorrow!

Did my W6D3 today, ran 25 mins woopee!!

Great stuff! From here on in you've no walking, isn't that brilliant that you've progressed that far. Enjoy your weekend and your birthday!

Absolutely! (I think) You'll be training for the 10k with me in a week or two!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

W2D3 COMPLETED :)

Still have a sore lower back but managing ok. Looking forward to W3. Did this mornings seesion on the treadmill, which I find easier, I suppose its because i have no hills and no headwinds !!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Ive just finished W3D3 and its going well. I thought id be in bits trying run 3 mins but was not to bad. I and repeated the first couple weeks a few times just to try build it before I have to face the harder weeks. You can definitely notice yourself geting a fitter each week. Although my knee is quite sore today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

cruizer22b wrote: »
    Ive just finished W3D3 and its going well. I thought id be in bits trying run 3 mins but was not to bad. I and repeated the first couple weeks a few times just to try build it before I have to face the harder weeks. You can definitely notice yourself geting a fitter each week. Although my knee is quite sore today :(

How many repetitions of the 3 minute run are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

So I 've now got Week 2 completed! Delighted with myself! Definitely had my best run today and felt really great after, despite being hesitant about heading out!!!

Week 3 here I come! Hope you're not too hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

How many repetitions of the 3 minute run are there?

Its two repetitions of 90 seconds and two repetitions of 3 minutes. Not as bad as expected. Week 4 looks like a step up so hopefully wont struggle to much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Phew.. Just finished Week 2 :)

Good run I must day, tough... I have no podcast but looked up online.

It is 5 min warm up walk
    Run for 90 sec, brisk walk for 2min (x5)
    5 min walk cool down right?

I find the first 2 runs really tough, by 3 my lungs are passed the burning stage and I feel lighter (I guess the endorphins) I can breather easier... I run up the 5 floors of my apartment after my 5 min cool down. Makes the cool down pointless cos then I have to cool down again by pacing the balcony. :D At least I'll have a nicely toned ass soon!

I left a 5 day break between day 2 and 3 so I might do 3 again on Monday. Not ready to start 3 yet!!

Advertisement