Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Just back from W1D3.
    I had intended doing it yesterday but my legs were pretty sore after wednesday night.
    Found it relatively okay today and managed to run an extra 2 1 minute sectors as I had distance between where I finished the run and the house. Warm up and warm down properly really helps recovery I must say.
    Its lovely weather for it and I hope it keeps up. W2D1 on Monday.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

Finally managed to start W2 this morning (after a total of 7 days of W1!)

Found it fine tbh, didn't find the 90sec runs that much harder that the 60sec runs but that might change on D2!

Definitely feel much fitter, I even managed to outrun 3 greyhounds!:D So very proud!

***Disclaimer***The greyhounds might have been walking***

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭LessMass

Did D1W2 yesterday evening and definitely found it harder than week 1 but I suppose that's to be expected I really felt the extra 30 secs on the runs but the first couple were the hardest. I did recover well in time for each new run though so I was pretty pleased with that plus of course yesterday was my only non buggy run for this week so we'll see how it goes tomorrow but I'm not scared to give it a go now at this stage.
    Had a chat to my bro in law last night about running - he's big into it and he said even for him the first few mins are always the hardest but then your body gets in the groove and you sorta settle into the run which is music to my ears so happy days :) I was wondering why the first run always seems so hard for me!
    Anyway, I finished yesterday's run on a high note because I was certain I had two runs left and then the guy said "get ready for your last run" I was delighted and actually said out loud "cool" and off I went at a fast pace to finish up. Really glad I started this program now - just been watching the great Ireland run and wanted to be in it!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Finally managed to start W2 this morning (after a total of 7 days of W1!)

Found it fine tbh, didn't find the 90sec runs that much harder that the 60sec runs but that might change on D2!

Definitely feel much fitter, I even managed to outrun 3 greyhounds!:D So very proud!

Remember how I said I noticed you were on the same schedule as me so I was going to be following your posts? Well due to my routine being a little different I'm only started W2 today as well! Too weird. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FreeHugs

LessMass wrote: »
    Did D1W2 yesterday evening and definitely found it harder than week 1 but I suppose that's to be expected I really felt the extra 30 secs on the runs but the first couple were the hardest. I did recover well in time for each new run though so I was pretty pleased with that plus of course yesterday was my only non buggy run for this week so we'll see how it goes tomorrow but I'm not scared to give it a go now at this stage.
    Had a chat to my bro in law last night about running - he's big into it and he said even for him the first few mins are always the hardest but then your body gets in the groove and you sorta settle into the run which is music to my ears so happy days :) I was wondering why the first run always seems so hard for me!
    Anyway, I finished yesterday's run on a high note because I was certain I had two runs left and then the guy said "get ready for your last run" I was delighted and actually said out loud "cool" and off I went at a fast pace to finish up. Really glad I started this program now - just been watching the great Ireland run and wanted to be in it!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

I did my D1W2 yesterday too, and I'm glad i'm not the only one who found it hard to get used to! I was so proud of myself at the end :D
    I've never run this much in my life, i really thought I just wasn't able to! Ha, screw you asthma, you're not the boss of me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Just finished W2D1 and it isn't as bad as I thought. Didn't find myself struggling as badly as I did on other days but my legs are killing me now. I stretched before I went and actually stretched more than I usually do! My lower legs were so sore when I got in that I couldn't sit still or anything. They don't seem to be as bad now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Finished week 3 and found the second 3 min run to be tough enough! Starting week 4 tomorrow - hard to believe! Really enjoying it though and the sense of completion is super!

Good luck to everyone this week and if anyone is thinking of starting week 1 - DO IT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Hi all well done to everyone your all doing so well!:)

Well im heading out on w2d2 tomorrow evening after having a break of 4 days in between.Im dong the programme with my OH and hes been away the last few days so have been waiting for him to get back we can continue together.

Im just hoping now that i will be alright after the longer break in between. I found day1 quite tough so hoping ill be alright doing it tomorrow:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hi all well done to everyone your all doing so well!:)

Well im heading out on w2d2 tomorrow evening after having a break of 4 days in between.Im dong the programme with my OH and hes been away the last few days so have been waiting for him to get back we can continue together.

Im just hoping now that i will be alright after the longer break in between. I found day1 quite tough so hoping ill be alright doing it tomorrow:o

You'll be fine. A good rest can make things easier at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Completed Week5 Day3 yesterday, yay!
    And it actually wasn't that bad...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

well done everyone on all the running this weekend. I definitely found my first 90 second run very hard, and i remember being so disappointed cos week 1 had seemed so easy!

LessMass your brother is spot on. I always find the first 5 mins really tough but then i think your stride becomes more natural and you end up getting into it.

So anyway, I finished week 8 last night. i normally run the very first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and although I was hungry going out on the run last night, i definitely felt heavier and not as fresh as the morning. I suppose it was really warm as well but some of it was tough enough. Also there were loads of boy racers passing and beeping but I know i looked ok(ish) in my leggings and top so they werent going to break my motivation.

So tomorrow is week 9, aaaaagh!! Ill repeat week 9 i say and then move onto longer runs after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

Did W3D3 on Sat and it was my first run outside. I went running on a forest trail near my parent's house and it was great! My pace is definitely slower than when on the treadmill and I missed having my distance and pace measured for me, but it was more than made up for by the gorgeous scenery and my mind was taken off the 'running' parts by focusing on my route and not tripping over tree roots/random rocks/etc! The change of terrain with many small hills and drops added an extra dimension for my legs too. A total aside was that it made me really miss my dog who died a few years back, he loved to walk around there and I would have loved the company - met only 2 other people the hour I was out.

Made 3 basic mistakes though - wore too many clothes so had to take off a hoodie just after my warm-up and carry it for the rest of the session (short sleeved so couldn't tie it round me!), forgot my water bottle so was parched by the end of it and forgot my inhaler so my lungs were as tight as anything when I finished and was wheezing a bit. Will never forget these things again when I am heading out! Looking forward to mixing up the runs at the weekend with some outdoor runs when I can. It is very different. Went cycling through the Phoenix park yesterday and met all the runners finishing up the Great Ireland Run - was so envious of them, some day soon I will be able to contemplate a 10k too!!

Back to the gym tonight. W4D1 to be attempted. 5 mins continuous run? I am both looking forward to it and apprehensive!

snowfinch wrote: »
    Did W3D3 on Sat and it was my first run outside. I went running on a forest trail near my parent's house and it was great! My pace is definitely slower than when on the treadmill and I missed having my distance and pace measured for me, but it was more than made up for by the gorgeous scenery and my mind was taken off the 'running' parts by focusing on my route and not tripping over tree roots/random rocks/etc! The change of terrain with many small hills and drops added an extra dimension for my legs too. A total aside was that it made me really miss my dog who died a few years back, he loved to walk around there and I would have loved the company - met only 2 other people the hour I was out.

Made 3 basic mistakes though - wore too many clothes so had to take off a hoodie just after my warm-up and carry it for the rest of the session (short sleeved so couldn't tie it round me!), forgot my water bottle so was parched by the end of it and forgot my inhaler so my lungs were as tight as anything when I finished and was wheezing a bit. Will never forget these things again when I am heading out! Looking forward to mixing up the runs at the weekend with some outdoor runs when I can. It is very different. Went cycling through the Phoenix park yesterday and met all the runners finishing up the Great Ireland Run - was so envious of them, some day soon I will be able to contemplate a 10k too!!

Back to the gym tonight. W4D1 to be attempted. 5 mins continuous run? I am both looking forward to it and apprehensive!
    The scenary really makes a difference. My wife rarely runs the same circuit 2 runs in a row when she is running. She gets "bored" of the same scenary. Herself and two running partners ran almost every road and byroad out the East side of Galway as a result.
    That type thing doesnt bother me so much I must admit. I've been running the same circuit not far from the house in Ballybrit all last week and intend to keep doing it. Theres a pretty sizeable hill on it and I think thats a good thing. 2 circuits and the half hour is come.
    On the Asthma front ( I have it too and normally it would stop me running big time) however the last year has seen its effects diminish somewhat. I have one of the preventative inhalers (brown in colour) and thats all I've been taking for the past 10 days as I ran out of the ventolin one. Havent had a bother.
    I think my Asthma may have cleared up somewhat after we bought a new mattress (one of those foam ones), very good to sleep in and feels "clean". Honestly, things have improved no end with my asthma since then.
    Sorry about the aside, but I know my asthma stopped me trying so many things in the past and any tips about how to improve it were always appreciated.

W2D1 straight after work this evening. Its a cooler day today but that can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

I don't know why I am embarrassed to be admitting this on an internet forum but tonight will be w4d2 for me. Been running for five weeks now (1st week was without the podcast so decided to start over)

I think the program is great but not a whole lot of guys seem to be doing it (if the facebook group is a real indication of who does this) Been enjoying this to no end and hope to try a 5k over the summer however I have been struggling with the 5 min runs. I never stop and I can get to the end of them but I do need the time to recover (before this I thought I was recovering quick enough)

3min runs = enjoyable
    5min runs = hard work

Anyone else find the week 5 runs a bit harder than expected?

I don't know why I am embarrassed to be admitting this on an internet forum but tonight will be w4d2 for me. Been running for five weeks now (1st week was without the podcast so decided to start over)

I think the program is great but not a whole lot of guys seem to be doing it (if the facebook group is a real indication of who does this) Been enjoying this to no end and hope to try a 5k over the summer however I have been struggling with the 5 min runs. I never stop and I can get to the end of them but I do need the time to recover (before this I thought I was recovering quick enough)

3min runs = enjoyable
    5min runs = hard work

Anyone else find the week 5 runs a bit harder than expected?
    Theres at least 1 other guy (me) on the programme and I know of 1 or 2 others but yes, it seems to be mostly women.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Well im starting W4 D1 now shortly. Looks a little more difficult to me.
    Just incase anyone that hasn’t been tracking there progress I’ve been using nokia sports tracker since day one and I reckon It’s pretty good. It has actually helped me quite a bit and adds a little more interest too. Basically for anyone who has not used it before it will map your route for you and measure distance speed etc. I wouldn’t be sure how accurate the calories burned counter is on it but I find it very handy for comparing day to day as the weeks go by. After each run I just upload the info from my phone to the tracker website within seconds then later that night I can log in and check back over the information and compare it to all the other runs etc. Its great being able look back over week one for instance and actually see that you are really making progress and can save every run and route you do. It works by internet / GPS so make sure you have a data add on.

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/main/index.do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Starting week 3 tomorrow!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeep!
    How did everyone else find it?

Started week 4 today and you're right cruizer22b, the 5 mins really seemed like a big stretch!!! I pushed myself through the first 5 mins, but could only do 4 mins the second time. I was a bit disorientated though, cos I was nearly home already and hadn't cooled down or anything. I realise now that it will be a little further each week because I'm jogging more so I'll be going further. I can plan out my Wed jog better now. I was SERIOUSLY red though. Like I thought my head was going to explode.

doctorwhogirl - in retrospect, week 3 was grand, but that is because I'm on week 4 now and remembering week 4 with rose tinted glasses. First day is prob difficult, but the 3 min runs feel great when you complete them!

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FreeHugs

I did W2D2 today and found it harder than D1, but it was early and cold hehe
    Quick question for anyone who does their run in the mornings- Do you eat breakfast before or after? whats recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

FreeHugs wrote: »
    Quick question for anyone who does their run in the mornings- Do you eat breakfast before or after? whats recommended?

I did W2D2 today aswell! Also found it al little harder than day 1,but think it's cause I was tired from a long day on work!Hopefully day 3 will be ok again!

As a complete aside, how do people with long hair joh with it down and blowing all over the place?! Was tempted to stop and tie a girls hair up today, it was annoying me just looking at it! Sorry, rant over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭LessMass

I did W2D2 today as well and am delighted with myself :)
    Well done FreeHugs and figrolls...I've no idea how people run in the morning - fair play! and as for the hair blowing all over the place! not sure how they do that either....really starting to warm to this program here's hoping the warm fuzzie feeling continues :)

W2D1 done. Was pretty tired after it but ok. Enjoyed the change in music.

FreeHugs wrote: »

I copied what someone else (Melia maybe?) said and I've been getting up before 7, having glass of water and heading out. Come back then, more water then shower and porridge. I actually find my porridge keeps me fuller for longer on days I do this compared to having my breakfast when I get up.

I used to be afraid of running so early on empty stomach but so far it's worked out well for me. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Starting week 3 tomorrow!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeep!
    How did everyone else find it?
    Week 3 isn't too bad although the 3 minute runs feel like a big jump from 90 seconds in week 2. But there's only two of them so it seems like the whole thing goes really fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Completed Week5 Day3 yesterday, yay!
    And it actually wasn't that bad...

Woohoo!! Well done hyperbaby! I was really nervous about that run and really enjoyed it too, congrats on doing it!

Did W7D1 this morning, drove down to the Lee Fields and walked + jogged along by the river. It got quite warm towards the end when the sun came out so the last 5 or 10 mins wasn't so comfortable. I think the walk/jog/walk format suits me better than continuous jogging so I think I'll go back to that when I finish this program.

Free Hugs I always run in the mornings on an empty stomach (just make sure you drink enough water before you go!)

Welcome to the men on this thread. You guys have as much right to post here as the girls do! Best of luck with it! xx

Keep up the good work everyone and spread the C25K word! My mum is the lastest person to say that she might start it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you like a run-walk pattern, look into Jeff Galloway's training methods. His methods tend to involve taking short walk breaks during your runs, so if you're more comfortable with a walk-run-walk pattern it would suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Thanks Rainbow, that looks good actually, similar enough to the HalHingdon one but with walking intervals. Had downloaded the Podrunner podcast from Itunes which builds up from 5K to 8K or 5k to 10K (running intervals of btw 7mins and 29mins with 1min walks inbetween) and I'll still be able to follow it like the C25K program on my ipod. (Don't want to break the safety net just yet hehe) :D Think I'll do a mixture of those two, and add in my cross training days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

I was meant to do my W5 D2 on sunday during the great ireland run but i couldnt hack the 8 minute one at all. I reckon that throughout the first 5k i ran roughly half of it between jogging/ walking intervals the last 5 k i walked a lot more. Around the 7k mark i could feel my hips really hurting for some reason and i was very stiff yesterday.
    I was delighted with myself for getting through it and I estimated I would do it in an hour and a half but i did it in 1:28:59!!! So a whole minute to spare.
    I saw Sonia O'Sullivan aswell, She ran for the same luas as me......I'd say she looked at me and saw competition :p:p She looked worried!!!

So anyway I'm going to try W5 D2 again today and see how i get on. I got up this morning and did about 30 mins yogalates so I was happy with that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

Freehugs, a lot of people here eat about 30 mins before they go out something light. I cant run with anything in my stomach cos i get a terrible stitch!!

Thats really silly to have your hair blowing all over the place. I am like the slide lady when i go out cos i have a fringe and have to clip it ALL back or else i cant run as it distracts me

Did W9D1 this morning. Hmmmm, didnt really enjoy it. Some of it was okay but i was bordering on a stitch the whole time. I did a load of squats and stuff yesterday so I say my muscles were tired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Hi all well i got out for w2d2 last night and after the break of 4 days in between i really found it tough going:eek: by the last run i was wrecked and really needed the two mins in between each run to recover. I was up for work yesterday at 4.30am and didnt get out running until 6.30pm so dont know if i was just tired or if i was just not able for it!!:o

I am wondering if i should just count that as day1 again and do it another 2 times instead of the once more before i start week 3 i havent looked into the times for week3 yet but ive heard they are 3 mins and i just dont think ill be able for that at all!:eek::(

On the upside my OH is doing brilliantly and i have to give him kudos for it hes really pushing himself and myself and i know i wouldnt be able for it without his help!!:D

Advertisement