Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Hi all well i got out for w2d2 last night and after the break of 4 days in between i really found it tough going:eek: by the last run i was wrecked and really needed the two mins in between each run to recover. I was up for work yesterday at 4.30am and didnt get out running until 6.30pm so dont know if i was just tired or if i was just not able for it!!:o

I am wondering if i should just count that as day1 again and do it another 2 times instead of the once more before i start week 3 i havent looked into the times for week3 yet but ive heard they are 3 mins and i just dont think ill be able for that at all!:eek::(

On the upside my OH is doing brilliantly and i have to give him kudos for it hes really pushing himself and myself and i know i wouldnt be able for it without his help!!:D

See how you feel on your next week 2 day. If it goes ok, then you'll be grand for starting week 3. We all have crappy runs, you completed that run though which is the main thing!
    Really try not too worry about the longer running times each week, you'll be able to do them just believe you can and your legs will carry you! The body is capable of a hell of a lot more than we think it can do! :D:D (That goes for everyone else too!) I thought I wouldn't be able to do the 20min run but it was fine in the end! (Hard at the start and end but I did it). My advice would be to stick to the program and see how it goes. Best of luck xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MysticFred

Anybody experience tenderness on the inside of both knees? I'm on W2D2 and bought proper running shoes following gait analysis.

MysticFred wrote: »
    Anybody experience tenderness on the inside of both knees? I'm on W2D2 and bought proper running shoes following gait analysis.

Maybe do some stretches before you jog. (Don't do them until after you warm up though!) So go for 4 mins your 5min warm up walk, do a few stretches, do the final 1min and then jog. Not sure of the routine for stretching afterwards though.
    Where do you jog? If you normally jog on a road/path maybe you need to change it to grass to go easy on your knees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MysticFred

Where do you jog? If you normall jog on a road/path maybe you need to change it to grass to go easy on your knees?

I jog on the grass as much as possible although it's pretty hard at the moment due to the lack of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Well I completed week 3 day one today!

First half was grand! Felt the length of the 3 minutes alright but I was fine!

When it got to the second 3 minute run though, halfway through I got a whopper stitch in the same side I've gotten it in the past few days. I'm wondering now is it a muscle thing? But anyway I pushed on through with it (despite it feeling quite sore!) and managed to get rid of it! It just went away! Finished the rest with no problem! I was even disappointed there wasn't another run stuck in! Might stick in a 3 minute one at the end for myself as I found it quite short today in general!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Scout Finch

Hey Guys,

Just finished W1D1 and I'm delighted with myself! Really unfit, and really thought I'd struggle, but I was grand!

Came across this thread completely by chance and it really helped to read about other's experiences and how far you all have come. Really motivated now - so hopefully I can keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Well done to everyone keeping it up.

Out of interest, how many of you hated running before doing this? I am tempted to give this a go, but even when I was playing sports regularly, I always absolutely hated going for a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I think there's enough variation in it to keep you interested Eoin! What with the changes in pace etc...

(Love your avatar BTW!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

So I went out to do W2D2 yesterday but my legs were killing me. I was trying to figure out what's normal pain (i.e., haven't used those muscles before) and bad pain (i.e., uh oh, I can't walk now). I stretched before I went out and did a bit more after the 5 minute warm up but after 4 runs my legs were in bits. The muscles were sore from my hips to my ankles but the pain is gone now so I'm not worried, I figure it's just because I never did any sort of running in my life. My knee got really really sore though, to the point were I couldn't bend it. I'm going to take a break for a few days now and get back into it and hopefully my knee will get better.

I'm so determined to do this but I feel like my body is fighting me tooth and nail!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

eoin wrote: »

Out of interest, how many of you hated running before doing this? I am tempted to give this a go, but even when I was playing sports regularly, I always absolutely hated going for a run.

Never actually ran before. I play Tag Rugby a few months a year (on a very "its all about the social aspect" level).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

ergonomics wrote: »
    So I went out to do W2D2 yesterday but my legs were killing me. I was trying to figure out what's normal pain (i.e., haven't used those muscles before) and bad pain (i.e., uh oh, I can't walk now). I stretched before I went out and did a bit more after the 5 minute warm up but after 4 runs my legs were in bits. The muscles were sore from my hips to my ankles but the pain is gone now so I'm not worried, I figure it's just because I never did any sort of running in my life. My knee got really really sore though, to the point were I couldn't bend it. I'm going to take a break for a few days now and get back into it and hopefully my knee will get better.

I'm so determined to do this but I feel like my body is fighting me tooth and nail!

i get pains sometimes as well but i normanyy loosen out after 5 mins. if i was in bad uncomfortable apin though i would take a few days off running at least and maybe do walks instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

i was wondering when you are walking after the jogging part do ye guys walk briskly like it says to for warming up or do you walk at a slow or in between pace?

hyperbaby wrote: »
    i was wondering when you are walking after the jogging part do ye guys walk briskly like it says to for warming up or do you walk at a slow or in between pace?

i would say i used to do it an an in between pace.

I sometimes think i am going too slow when i'm walking.

Week 6 Day 3 this evening! :D

Hated running cos my mum -in an attempt to make me lose weight-made me join the local running/athletics club for a while (that my sister and 2 cousins were members of and were proper runners-entering races etc) I only stayed for two sessions, it was so embarrassing! They would be doing sprints around the track while I would just be attempting to jog a lap on my own. (I was still in school at this stage-I think 4th or 5th year).

Toyed with the idea of starting the C25K for a few weeks before I actually started, thinking I wouldn't be able to do it. My perception was that jogging was for the thin + fit and not for me, but the exercise I was doing (walking) just wasn't having the same effect anymore (and I guess I had got a bit bored of it) So I decided to start and I'm so glad I did! I'm still jogging really slowly and don't absolutely love each jog but the sense of achievement after you've finished a session is amazing (and the jogging sets off more endorphins etc than just walking so I feel great after it!) You definitely should start, its a cheap and enjoyable way to get fit!

My legs want to walk slowly but during the warm up I make myself walk a bit faster closer to the jog and then on the warm down I start fast and slow down as I get to the end of the 5 mins (Or at least I try to anyway!)
    I sometimes think i am going too slow when i'm walking.
    Week 6 Day 3 this evening! :D

Woohoo best of luck for the 25mins! You'll ace it don't worry! :D

Did a very slow jog today for W7D2! My legs were still a bit stiff/sore from yesterdays exercise class (might space them out better in future!). Took a little break (about 30 secs) after the 5min mark cos I was going up a hill and my right tendon felt really tight so I wanted to give it a rest. As I was going slower I wasn't sure where the halfway mark was (thought the podcast told me but didn't hear it today) so I thought I was just about halfway when I was told I only had 5 mins to go so I was totally suprised! Wasn't the most comfortable of jogs but I got through it (*can't walk up or down the stairs very easily now though hehe*) Gorgeous day out, really sunny but not too hot. Had a nice breeze on the way back which cooled me down loads.

Best of luck to anyone jogging today!

*Little exaggeration :D

Did a very slow jog today for W7D2! My legs were still a bit stiff/sore from yesterdays exercise class (might space them out better in future!). Took a little break (about 30 secs) after the 5min mark cos I was going up a hill and my right tendon felt really tight so I wanted to give it a rest. As I was going slower I wasn't sure where the halfway mark was (thought the podcast told me but didn't hear it today) so I thought I was just about halfway when I was told I only had 5 mins to go so I was totally suprised! Wasn't the most comfortable of jogs but I got through it (*can't walk up or down the stairs very easily now though hehe*) Gorgeous day out, really sunny but not too hot. Had a nice breeze on the way back which cooled me down loads.

Best of luck to anyone jogging today!

*Little exaggeration :D

great work miss!! thats brilliant about not hearig halfway through, you must ahev been seriously focused

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

I absolutely hated running before i took this up! I was never really into sports and would definitely call myself very unfit. The whole motion of running i just couldnt stand it.
    BUT i have to say even though im only going onto week2 day3 tonight i am finding that the running part is not as bad as i was expecting it to be. yes i do find it tough going at times but thats from a fitness point of view but from the whole hating running part its not that bad (does that make sense???)

I even find myself getting disappointed if i dont get out to do the run!!! believe me i am the last person who ever thought i would be disappointed at not getting out for a run!!!you should defo give it a go!

Anyway im looking forward to w2d3 tonight hopefully it wont be as hard as the last one!

Hated running cos my mum -in an attempt to make me lose weight-made me join the local running/athletics club for a while (that my sister and 2 cousins were members of and were proper runners-entering races etc) I only stayed for two sessions, it was so embarrassing! They would be doing sprints around the track while I would just be attempting to jog a lap on my own. (I was still in school at this stage-I think 4th or 5th year).

Toyed with the idea of starting the C25K for a few weeks before I actually started, thinking I wouldn't be able to do it. My perception was that jogging was for the thin + fit and not for me, but the exercise I was doing (walking) just wasn't having the same effect anymore (and I guess I had got a bit bored of it) So I decided to start and I'm so glad I did! I'm still jogging really slowly and don't absolutely love each jog but the sense of achievement after you've finished a session is amazing (and the jogging sets off more endorphins etc than just walking so I feel great after it!) You definitely should start, its a cheap and enjoyable way to get fit!

My legs want to walk slowly but during the warm up I make myself walk a bit faster closer to the jog and then on the warm down I start fast and slow down as I get to the end of the 5 mins (Or at least I try to anyway!)

Woohoo best of luck for the 25mins! You'll ace it don't worry! :D

i meant Week 6 day 1, oops, week 6 day 3 is on Sunday!
    Just one more week until the 5k series!
    And i signed for Galway's Women's mini- Marathon on June 27thj yesterday!
    woo... good to have something to focus on!
    and i totally agree with you about the sense of achievement, i love ticking off the sheet after i complete each week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭LessMass

Well, I did W2D3 today and it went well. I find I'm getting used to the feeling of running so even though my legs are tired and I'm still puffing and panting along I don't mind that, I just think it's part of the experience and I'm embracing it :)
    I used to get a bit nervous before my run but now I don't even think about it, I pop on my running clothes and out the door I go, I'm then running before i know it!
    I know I should begin W3 on Fri but Fri's my day off and this weekend I'm off for a weekend spa break but I'm intending on beginning week 3 in the gym there on Sat morning and then I'm relaxing for the rest of the weekend - including a Swedish massage on Sat pm - I literally cannot wait!!!!
    Anyway will update when I get back. Well done everyone who's on the program - I'm loving it!! :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

W3D1 today. covering about 3 k in total . does that sound about right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

W4D1 today.... really proud of myself, managed all the runs! Had listened to the start of W4 whilst doing my cool down on W3D3 - tut tut bad idea I was positively stressed getting ready as it had sounded like quite a step up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Hi all newbie here to c25k! W1D2 tonite at 10. Day 1 was ok, got tired at the last 15 secs of each run but made it through ok. Really hoping this programme will improve my stamina (quickly!)and it will have a knock on effect on my swimming and healthy eating. Best of luck to all especially the newbies like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

W3D1 today. covering about 3 k in total . does that sound about right ?

I started week 3 today too! :D Yea, I measured my path on google map with the pinpoints and it was roughly 3.5 km for me...

W2D2 Done. Did it on my way to Tag training. Played tag for about an hour after it. Feeling okay now but suspect I will feel it tomorrow and/or Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

kippy wrote: »
    W2D2 Done. Did it on my way to Tag training. Played tag for about an hour after it. Feeling okay now but suspect I will feel it tomorrow and/or Friday.

Don't forget to stttrrrrreeeeeetch :)

Don't forget to stttrrrrreeeeeetch :)
    Cheers, lots of stretching done.
    I find I amnt sore any of the days after the "normal" sessions. Its the tag + the session that kills me. Such is life though and I must admit I felt far fitter on night 2 of day than I did on night 1.

Best of luck to those running in the next few days. My D3 run will be in Donegal somewhere on Saturday, just for the change of scenery!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Well i finished wk2d3 last night. it wasnt too bad found it a bit tough on the second run then the 3rd 4th and 5th were fine and the last one was a killer but i managed to do them all and was delighted with myself when i finished!!

So its week 3 on saturday morning not looking forward to it not sure if im ready for it yet but im going to give it a go anyway and see how it goes and if its too much to handle ill go back and do week2 again for another week!!

Well done to everyone having a go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

I did w2d1 on Monday and found it so hard, stopped short in the 3rd 4th and 6th runs by about 10 seconds and didn't do the 5th run, was really out of breath and wrecked. Now i'm actually off work this week sick, have low blood pressure and have been generally exhausted the last couple of weeks so my doc said take the week off but I still wanted to try it Monday, but don't have the energy to finish w2 this week. Was going to do w2 again next week instead and go from there, is this going to set me back or is this what I should do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I did w2d1 on Monday and found it so hard, stopped short in the 3rd 4th and 6th runs by about 10 seconds and didn't do the 5th run, was really out of breath and wrecked. Now i'm actually off work this week sick, have low blood pressure and have been generally exhausted the last couple of weeks so my doc said take the week off but I still wanted to try it Monday, but don't have the energy to finish w2 this week. Was going to do w2 again next week instead and go from there, is this going to set me back or is this what I should do?

Hey just get better and then try week 2 again would be my advice. If you have a bit of a rest you'll be amazed at how much energy you'll have next week!

Advertisement