Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Im defo no expert but if I was you id take the time to get better before you try again.If you continue to run while your ill you may set yourself back even further. Take the week off to rest up relax and take it easy and then when your back to 100% id try again!Feel better soon;)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

dolliemix wrote: »
    Hey just get better and then try week 2 again would be my advice. If you have a bit of a rest you'll be amazed at how much energy you'll have next week!
    Im defo no expert but if I was you id take the time to get better before you try again.If you continue to run while your ill you may set yourself back even further. Take the week off to rest up relax and take it easy and then when your back to 100% id try again!Feel better soonwink.gif

Yep think ye're right this is the best thing to do, can make a better stab at week 2 then, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

I did W4D1 tonight and it went great.My legs seem to be getting used running and the 5 min runs where actually good. On the last one I was kinda counting the clock down and was more wreaked then ever before but very happy I got through it :) Roll on D2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

Hi everyone.....finished C25K today!!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭LessMass

Woo hoo - well done you!! that's fab, hope you enjoy a lovely weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Thats fantastic NSB!!! Well done!! So now we have two graduates (and me following in two weeks :D) Did you ever think that you'd be able to run 5K without dying?! It really is a fantastic achievement NSB, you should be proud of yourself!
    Enter the Phoenix Park 5K on the 9th May!! Need someone to do it with me!

I did w2d1 on Monday and found it so hard, stopped short in the 3rd 4th and 6th runs by about 10 seconds and didn't do the 5th run, was really out of breath and wrecked. Now i'm actually off work this week sick, have low blood pressure and have been generally exhausted the last couple of weeks so my doc said take the week off but I still wanted to try it Monday, but don't have the energy to finish w2 this week. Was going to do w2 again next week instead and go from there, is this going to set me back or is this what I should do?

Did you ever think you'd like jogging so much that you'd want to do it even while sick? :D I'd probably be like that too! :p C25K is taking over our brains hehe ;) MM i would agree with the others though, definitely give yourself a rest and start week 2 when you're ready. You won't need to start back at week one don't worry!

Went out for W7D3 today and it was a bit more comfortable than Wed. My legs were less tired as I had given myself a bit of a rest day yesterday and didn't do much exercise (went for a 20 min walk after work)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Did you ever think you'd like jogging so much that you'd want to do it even while sick? :D I'd probably be like that too! :p C25K is taking over our brains hehe ;) MM i would agree with the others though, definitely give yourself a rest and start week 2 when you're ready. You won't need to start back at week one don't worry!

Went out for W7D3 today and it was a bit more comfortable than Wed. My legs were less tired as I had given myself a bit of a rest day yesterday and didn't do much exercise (went for a 20 min walk after work)

I know it's mad, even though I found I was completely wrecked after the runs I don't want to give up, I also think I was running too fast on my own so I was finding it so hard, need to try keep it to a jog. Having a relaxing week so should be good to go next week. Well done on finishing week 7, you're nearly done now!!!

I know it's mad, even though I found I was completely wrecked after the runs I don't want to give up, I also think I was running too fast on my own so I was finding it so hard, need to try keep it to a jog. Having a relaxing week so should be good to go next week. Well done on finishing week 7, you're nearly done now!!!

My sister started W1D1 a few weeks ago and didn't jog but ran fast and was wrecked after it! Definitely jog it, I'm still jogging slowly but as long as you're doing the required time it doesn't matter how slow you are!!

Thanks hun, its kinda scary that I'm nearly finished, before I started I wouldn't have thought I'd get this far at all! :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

aw brainey i would do it except its the sunday and sure it would invlve going up overnight and all that... pity really cos I would like to run in an actualy event before i try the marathon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Delighted! Well done! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

WELL DONE!! That's amazing, congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Hi all well i got through wk3d1 today went to the phoenix park and did it down there. have to say i quite enjoyed it and didnt find it as hard as i thought it would be.the only thing i knew about wk 3 was that it involved 3minute runs so i got a nice surprise when i was doing it it and it wasnt all 3minute runs!! found the first 90 sec run quite easy and then the 3min was grand the second 90sec run was a lil tougher and by the end of the second 3 min run i was wrecked but i managed to do it all at a decent pace so i was delighted!!!! cant wait now to get out again on monday to do it again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Finished week 3 today!!!!

Delighted! Really found I flew it today! Even did an extra 5 min run today to the tunes of Glee's version of Just Like A Prayer! Felt really good after!!!

Bring on week 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

its wierd that we all seemed to find W3 relatively ok. all week i ran for most of my cool down as i was expecting another run :D. we ll fly next week...no stopping us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

its wierd that we all seemed to find W3 relatively ok. all week i ran for most of my cool down as i was expecting another run :D. we ll fly next week...no stopping us ;)

I did Week 3 in Central Park in New York when I was on holidays and I loved it too!

dolliemix wrote: »
    I did Week 3 in Central Park in New York when I was on holidays and I loved it too!

Haha showoff! :D;)

About to start Week 4, so scared! Why does Carli think I'll be able to run for 5 minutes? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Just finished week 4 at 8.30 this morning. I found the 5 min runs so difficult! I was very stop and start. Think I will redo this day before I move on to week 5 cos from looking ahead week 5 is gonna be a real challenge!

Just finished week 4 at 8.30 this morning. I found the 5 min runs so difficult! I was very stop and start. Think I will redo this day before I move on to week 5 cos from looking ahead week 5 is gonna be a real challenge!

Yup I just did Day 1 and couldn't finish the second 5 mins.. it's tough! I'm going to stick on this week until I can get through it confidently. Might get my BF to make me a new playlist with the timed beeps though (he's a sound engineer, surely he'll find that easy?? :D). Carli's music choices this week are just too awful!

• Advertisement

skinny the c25 k that i downlaoded to my i pod allows me to play my own music. so all i actaully downloaded was a voice saying run walk run walk.... and the beeps. that sounds like what u are looking for. on my screen i have a stop watch couning dwon and saying walk 1 of 3 or run 3 of 4 ... or wherever i am in the programme. after its finished it allows me to publish a comment to my FB page. i think it cost about € 2.50, for the 9 weeks, to download it.

Yeah I saw that mentioned before Curly, unfortunately my mp3 player isn't an ipod. That would be so great though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FreeHugs

About to start Week 4, so scared! Why does Carli think I'll be able to run for 5 minutes? :(

I have cursed Carli so many times since starting the programme!! Though I do love it when she says I'm going great hehe
    You'll be fine, i though she was crazy getting me to do 3 minutes solid today (week 3) but I did it!!! woopwoop! It always seems scary until you're actually out there!

FreeHugs wrote: »
    I have cursed Carli so many times since starting the programme!! Though I do love it when she says I'm going great hehe
    You'll be fine, i though she was crazy getting me to do 3 minutes solid today (week 3) but I did it!!! woopwoop! It always seems scary until you're actually out there!
    Hehe, yeah I'm always thinking shut up Carli when I hear the music fade out so she can tell me it's time to run. Poor Carli, I love her really.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭LessMass

Did W3D1 on Sat and it went really well I think. It's great to feel my fitness level increasing :)
    I'll do W3D2 on Mon so we'll see how that goes but I'm looking forward to it all the same. Well done everyone and keep up the great work!

Starting week 8 tomorrow, must download the next podcast oops!

I agree with you guys on Carli's music, it doesn't get much better I'm afraid! Though there have been some great uptempo ones that come at exactly the moment they're needed the most (when the energy is flagging!) On her website she's said that she's recording a new set of podcasts with rock/80's music on it so maybe that might be a bit better??

Well done Less Mass and Free Hugs for getting to week 3! Congrats for getting through the 3min runs! :D

Skinny and BIA I found the first day of week 4 tough too, it was the day after Easter Sunday and only barely survived the run! Just continue on as normal and I'd say you'll be grand. The 2nd and 3rd runs of that week were some of the best i've had so far! We all have bad days/runs, try not to worry too much about it, you got through the rest of it so thats what matters! xx

Guys I'm sorry to be so negative on a Monday morning, but week 4 has beaten me. Just tried day 3 again and I cannot run for 5 mins. I don't know if it's my body or my mind.

Feel like I will never move onto week 5 now :(

Also regretting telling everyone I know that I'm doing a 5k race :(

BIA forget about saying " im on week 4 . " just start on week 3 tomoro and go through the week in a positive frame of mind. never mind anyone else and the thought of 5 k. small steps. bring on week 3 . you re doing really well :D

BIA forget about saying " im on week 4 . " just start on week 3 tomoro and go through the week in a positive frame of mind. never mind anyone else and the thought of 5 k. small steps. bring on week 3 . you re doing really well :D

Thanks curly. Maybe my post was a bit confusing. I should have started week 5 today, but because I didn't complete day 2 and 3 of week 4, I redid week4day3 today. I couldn't complete it today either. So should I redo it on Wednesday or move on to week 5 which will be tougher again!

My OH thinks I'm not breathing correctly which could be true. Anyone any breathing tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I'm very sad today. The last time I went out on C25K was last Tuesday and, after 4 runs, my legs were killing me. I decided to give myself a break for a few days to let my legs recover and get back into it. I went out again yesterday and did my 5 minute walk. Then I started to run and I literally took two steps before my legs exploded in pain. I actually fell with the pain. I'm not sure what I've done but the pain is going from the inside of my ankle to the inside of my knee. My legs don't hurt when I walk or do anything else, only when I'm running.

Anyway, I feel I have no choice but to take a long break from C25K. I'm furious because I was only 2 weeks in. I actually feel like crying. I was so determined to run 5k of the Mini Marathon. It's so frustrating!

Advertisement