Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I completed Week 6 Day 3 yesterday, jesus it was intense...
    25 mins of jogging!
    But i did it and on Tuesday i do the first of 6 runs of the 5 k series. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

ergonomics wrote: »
    I'm very sad today. The last time I went out on C25K was last Tuesday and, after 4 runs, my legs were killing me. I decided to give myself a break for a few days to let my legs recover and get back into it. I went out again yesterday and did my 5 minute walk. Then I started to run and I literally took two steps before my legs exploded in pain. I actually fell with the pain. I'm not sure what I've done but the pain is going from the inside of my ankle to the inside of my knee. My legs don't hurt when I walk or do anything else, only when I'm running.

Anyway, I feel I have no choice but to take a long break from C25K. I'm furious because I was only 2 weeks in. I actually feel like crying. I was so determined to run 5k of the Mini Marathon. It's so frustrating!

you poor thing how very frustrating for you, sounds like you are very upset about it. Definitely take a good long break, maybe its something a bit of time healing might fix and then ease very slowly into it again, even doing half the runs of week1 for a few weeks to build up the bones in your legs.

I finished C25K last week, took the weekend off running and then had an AWFUl WOEFUL run this morning, i just didnt enjoy it. My legs were heavy and my throat felt burny and i had stitches on two sides, i had to keep runing though cos I would have been late for work if i wasnt back home in time to eat and shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ergonomics wrote: »
    I'm very sad today. The last time I went out on C25K was last Tuesday and, after 4 runs, my legs were killing me. I decided to give myself a break for a few days to let my legs recover and get back into it. I went out again yesterday and did my 5 minute walk. Then I started to run and I literally took two steps before my legs exploded in pain. I actually fell with the pain. I'm not sure what I've done but the pain is going from the inside of my ankle to the inside of my knee. My legs don't hurt when I walk or do anything else, only when I'm running.

Anyway, I feel I have no choice but to take a long break from C25K. I'm furious because I was only 2 weeks in. I actually feel like crying. I was so determined to run 5k of the Mini Marathon. It's so frustrating!
    See a physio! If there's one thing I've learnt, it's not to just hope that these things go away on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

YES!

There is a magnanimous difference between muscle soreness and pain. If it's pain you need to go to see a physio. A doctor will not cut it. Don't put it off as it should be assessed to prevent any further (possible) damage/ prolonged injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Did W8D1 this morning and had a fantastic run! It was the first long run that I properly enjoyed since the 20 min run in Week5. I think I had been thinking about the 25 mins too much during the runs and not sitting back and enjoying them. Because there was only a 3 min difference between this run and last weeks runs I wan't too worried about completing it and found I enjoyed it way more. It did get really warm half way through when the sun came out (Slept in this morning so I was running at around midday when normally I would run at 9am) Still have red rosy cheeks over an hour later-hopefully I haven't got sunburned!
    The last two minutes were tough but not because my legs were tired, more that I just wanted to know how long I had left! I thought I'd be running back to my starting point but when I got there, no word from Carli! A few seconds later she said I had a minute to go so I relaxed into it a bit more again. My legs always feel a bit odd for the few seconds after I begin to walk again. A bit rubbery/jellylike! Does that happen to anyone else?
    Guys I'm sorry to be so negative on a Monday morning, but week 4 has beaten me. Just tried day 3 again and I cannot run for 5 mins. I don't know if it's my body or my mind.

Feel like I will never move onto week 5 now :(

Also regretting telling everyone I know that I'm doing a 5k race :(

Try not to worry about it too much hun. Run as far as you can and don't push yourself to do too much if you think your body can't handle it. You don't want to give yourself an injury! Don't think ahead to week 5 at all, it might be your mind thinking you can't do it and feeling overwhelmed with the times in week 5. Build up to the 5 mins in week 4 slowly. So try and do 2-3 mins jogs with 1-3 min walks inbetween. Then gradually increase the jogging until you can do the 5 mins so maybe like this:

1.5 min jog, 1.5min walk, jog 3mins, walk 3 mins (week 3 C25K)
    2 min jog, 2 min walk x2
    2 min jog, 2 min walk x3
    2.5 min jog, ? min walk x3
    3 min jog, 1-3 min walk, 3 min, 1 min, 3 min, 1 min
    3.5 min, 1-3 min....etc (x3)
    4 min, 1-3 min...etc (x3)
    (optional 4.25, 1-3 min X3)
    4.5 min, 1-3 min...x3
    (optional 4.75, 1-3 min...x3)
    5 min, 90sec-3 min..x3 (follow Week 4)

That might be a bit too gradual but you get the point anyway. Build yourself up slowly! And don't be worried about being too negative on here, if you feel like you can't do something, write it out here and we'll try and help. Thats what this place is here for! I was terrified of the 20min run in week 5 and was nearly in tears about it the day before. I didn't want to post it here cos I thought I was being a moan but when I finally did post it I felt miles better! Within 2 mins Pembily, Melia, and DWG had replied and told me not to worry that I could do it no problem! It helped so much to know that I had that support!
    hyperbaby wrote: »
    I completed Week 6 Day 3 yesterday, jesus it was intense...
    25 mins of jogging!
    But i did it and on Tuesday i do the first of 6 runs of the 5 k series. :eek:

Well done for doing the 25min run!! Best of luck on Tues, you probably should break it up and do running and walking intervals so that you don't completely wipe yourself out and do damage to your legs/knees. The 5K will only be about 10 mins more than you've done but be careful too!

Ergonomics, I would agree with UL and eoin, definitely go see a physio!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MysticFred

I finished W3D1 last night. By the end of the run my knees were sore. They weren't too bad through the run but I could feel them getting worse.

The pain is in my inside leg next to my knee. I could feel them tightening up towards the end.

When I got home and rested a bag of frozen peas on my knees for 40 minutes and it really helped. I am toying with the idea of going to a physio if they are still the same tomorrow.

I don't mind putting up with it but I'm afraid I'm doing damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sully08

Hi People, i'm starting the C25K this evening and actually looking forward to it. I have never been into running but there is something about this programme and this thread that gives me hope!! I was just wondering if you have noticable changes in your apprearance ie weight, energy, toning etc and if so how quickly did you start to see/feel results. Will post tomorrow if I survive!!:eek:

sully08 wrote: »
    Hi People, i'm starting the C25K this evening and actually looking forward to it. I have never been into running but there is something about this programme and this thread that gives me hope!! I was just wondering if you have noticable changes in your apprearance ie weight, energy, toning etc and if so how quickly did you start to see/feel results. Will post tomorrow if I survive!!:eek:

Best of luck with it!!

I've never been into running either and it took me a good few weeks to properly decide to start the program. I had the idea that running was for svelte fit people and not me! Once I started I felt fantastic! Because you have set goals each week, it feels like such an achievement to actually meet those goals and see yourself improving every week.

I had been losing weight gradually and slowly for the time before I started the running. The few weeks before it I had been a bit up and down. I think my body had got used to the walking I was doing and it wasn't having the same effect. After the first week or two of the jogging I had a 2 pound loss which I attributed to the jogging mostly! I don't know if the toning that I've experienced is due to the jogging or if it would have happened anyway but I have experienced a lot of toning up of my stomach/upper thighs in the last few weeks. I have noticed myself getting fitter too, there's a 5mile walk where I live in Cork that used to nearly kill me (lots of hills) and when I did it a couple of weeks ago (Week 4 or 5 into C25K) I didn't feel as tired after it at all which I was very proud of!

Sully, It really is a fantastic programme, I couldn't recommend it enough! I'm on week 8 now and jogged 28 mins non stop this morning! I would have never thought I'd be able to do that and its all thanks to the C25K program! (And of course all the support from the other Boards.ie C25K-ers :D:D) Best of luck with it tomorrow, let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

W4 D1 , just finished. have to say i did find it harder than last week. but i am delighted i did it without too much trouble, ( not saying it was easy either) and didnt stop at all. i was afraid i might have to . covered just over 4 k :) imagine that !!! woo hoo..
    from a former couch potato !!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I've had a fairly hectic weekend and havent gotten around to W2D3 yet. I have some time this evening however I am considering just skipping that one and starting W3D1. Hopefully it will go OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭LessMass

Did W3D2 today around noon - it was my first buggy run this week and I was a wee bit worried that the 3min run would be very difficult. There's no doubt it was harder than D1 but it wasn't that bad - I think it was probably slower tho but I guess that's to be expected when I have the baby with me...I'll keep going :)

Well done one and all - I'm loving this program and this thread is wonderful for support x

W4 D1 , just finished. have to say i did find it harder than last week. but i am delighted i did it without too much trouble, ( not saying it was easy either) and didnt stop at all. i was afraid i might have to . covered just over 4 k imagine that !!! woo hoo..

from a former couch potato !!

Fantastic! Thats the 5mins runs is it? We're all former couch potatoes here so you're in good company! :D;)
    kippy wrote: »
    I've had a fairly hectic weekend and havent gotten around to W2D3 yet. I have some time this evening however I am considering just skipping that one and starting W3D1. Hopefully it will go OK.

I would say that you should stick to the program, but I guess if you think you're up for it then thats probably ok too.
    LessMass wrote: »
    Did W3D2 today around noon - it was my first buggy run this week and I was a wee bit worried that the 3min run would be very difficult. There's no doubt it was harder than D1 but it wasn't that bad - I think it was probably slower tho but I guess that's to be expected when I have the baby with me...I'll keep going :)

Well done one and all - I'm loving this program and this thread is wonderful for support x

I'm in awe of you doing it with the buggy! You're fantastic girl, I know I'd never be able to run and push the buggy at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Week 2 Day 1 at 10pm..... Like to do it in the dark ha.
    I'm dreading it!! Last session was the hardest so far. The extra 30 seconds running seems like an eternity! Am i being a wuss?!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Just to update my progress... It was my best run so far! It was sooooooooo much easier than last week and I felt really comfortable running.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

W3D1 done. Took a change of scene today as the wife wanted to go with me, she did her own thing and I carried on with it. Plenty of hills today which was a good thing.
    Managed it, without too much difficulty and as per usual really enjoyed the feeling after it.
    From start to finish of the track I managed to cover about 2.5 miles.
    Roll on W3D2 which again will prob be tied in with my tag rugby on Wednesday.
    Well done to all.

foundry wrote: »
    Just to update my progress... It was my best run so far! It was sooooooooo much easier than last week and I felt really comfortable running.

Go u! Was just about to ask how it went! Feels great to complete a run that you've worried about a bit doesn't it? :D Congrats!
    kippy wrote: »
    W3D1 done. Took a change of scene today as the wife wanted to go with me, she did her own thing and I carried on with it. Plenty of hills today which was a good thing.
    Managed it, without too much difficulty and as per usual really enjoyed the feeling after it.
    From start to finish of the track I managed to cover about 2.5 miles.
    Roll on W3D2 which again will prob be tied in with my tag rugby on Wednesday.
    Well done to all.

Congrats for jogging the hills today! I've avoided any big ones so far hehe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sully08

I survived.......just!! Well I did W1D1 and live to tell the tale. Found it quite tough as I am only 5ft 4" and 14st:eek: but none the less I completed it. I found the second last 60 secs was the toughest but I was also landing very heavy on my feet so came home and googled the correct way to run/jog and realised that I had been making it very difficult for myself by putting my heel to the ground. Little stiff today but nothing like I thought I would be and I'm looking forward to Day 2! Really glad I found this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

COMPLETED , W4 D2 found it hard. i wonder will i be able to move onto W5. giving serious consideration to repeating W4 again. i am doing it without stopping but find it very tough. is there a big jump in W5 ? should i be comfortable at W4 before moving on ??

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

COMPLETED , W4 D2 found it hard. i wonder will i be able to move onto W5. giving serious consideration to repeating W4 again. i am doing it without stopping but find it very tough. is there a big jump in W5 ? should i be comfortable at W4 before moving on ??

Im thinking the same as you, I did week w4d2 last night and found it really tough. Gonna check week 5 out now but I reckon ill do week 4 for a couple weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

hi all just wanted to pop by and update my progress. did w3d2 last night and found it a bit tougher than day1. i think it was because i was tired as i had been up since 4.30 am for work but i did the whole lot anyway. hoping week 4 will be ok im just going to take it as it comes and see how i get on. i know nothing about what the times are in week 4 like i knew nothing about week 3. i found it a bit easier not knowing what i had to do as i wasnt counting down in my head the whole time i was running.

was just wondering how do others prevent or deal with a stitch? my OH got a massive one last night while we were doing the last of the runs and had to stop as he couldnt breath with it, it really took it out of him. whats the best way to try and prevent them or deal with them if it happens?

ps: less mass- fair play to you for running with the buggy god theres no way id be able for that i vcan hardly keep myself moving never mind something else well done!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

Did W3D2 today and was grand up until the second 3 min run, did just over 2 mins and got a bit of a cramp/ stictch so walked it off and did another 90 second run at the end to make up for it.
    Dont know if I'll be ready for W4 any time soon, but sure if I'm not I'll do W3 again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Yay I managed to get through W4D1 this time!! I had to slow down for the second 5 minute run but I felt by the end that I could have kept going. In your face Week 4!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done everyone. It looks like some of you are finding some of the runs tough these days. Just wanted to say there will be runs like that, where you just don't feel its doing it for you :( But the fact that you keep going on these runs and finish them off regardless is brilliant. Its these runs that make you mentally more prepared for the long runs eventually, because you'll know that you pushed through when it was tough going!

Just keep thinking about the end point and how much you've progressed since day 1. When the running part is difficult, the assessing how far you've come is the enjoyable part! I think the feeling after finishing a tough session can be better sometimes than the feeling after finishing an easy enough one!

And believe me a good day will come when everything feels just right. I had a really bad week on Week 6 and felt I wasn't able for it and then, suddenly on Week 7, I felt fantastic!

On the stitch front.....I get them occasionally. I slow my pace and concentrate on getting more air into my lungs. I also find if I've drunk too much water an hour or so before the run its not good. I need to get myself hydrated the day before a run and on the day of the run just sip water slowly. Not sure about the science of stitches though! If they're really bad you just have to stop and try again later or the next day.

Well done everyone again. keep it up!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

I struggled all last week with week 4 but decided to move on today as planned. Was glad I did cos the 3 5 min runs suited me better than 3 mins than 5 mins.

So if you're struggling, move on when you're supposed to cos the next week might not be as bad as you think!

In saying that, I couldn't complete the last 5 mins, so I will do today again before moving onto 8 mins!

Did W8D2 today, found it ok though I went a bit slower on the way out than on Monday. Not really sure why but had a good run anyway and ran about 20-30 secs extra at the end to get to the point where I finished on Monday. Going to do the Run on the Prom this Sunday, its 8K so will do W9D1 and walk the rest of the way. Might do a 5K in june (Meath on the 12th June maybe).

I would agree with Dolliemix and BIA. If you are completing the runs then there is no need to repeat days/weeks. Even if you had a bad run, just get back up on the wagon and you'll have a better run the next time (hopefully!)
    If you are struggling on a particular day and can't complete the runs well maybe then its better to repeat the runs. But don't beat yourself up over having to repeat, no-one is going to think less of you if it takes you longer, and it means that you don't give yourself an injury by doing too much too soon!
    Either way try and be as positive as possible. Try not to look ahead to forthcoming weeks too much. Ignore week 5 as much as you can until you actually go out for W5D1. The runs might look daunting but you CAN do it! If I can do it (an overweight, not very fit person) then you can definitely do it too!! PMA all the way (Positive mental attitude!) :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Even though i only have completed 6 weeks of couch to 5k, i completed my first ever 5k last night in 32 mins. there is 5 more runs of the series left to go.
    I'm totally chuffed and so proud of myself :D:D:D
    i intend to continue with the last 3 weeks later in the week :)

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Even though i only have completed 6 weeks of couch to 5k, i completed my first ever 5k last night in 32 mins. there is 5 more runs of the series left to go.
    I'm totally chuffed and so proud of myself :D:D:D
    i intend to continue with the last 3 weeks later in the week :)

32 mins!! Congrats thats fantastic hyperbaby!!! How did you find it, were there any tough hills?
    We'll have to get some t-shirts printed up for the Boards.ie C25k-ers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Going to do the Run on the Prom this Sunday, its 8K so will do W9D1 and walk the rest of the way.

An alternative to this would be to consider taking a walk-run strategy all the way - how would a run 8 minutes, walk 1 minute plan sound to you? I seem to remember you saying that you liked intervals. (Overall you'll have more running, but I'm sure you can handle it ;) )

An alternative to this would be to consider taking a walk-run strategy all the way - how would a run 8 minutes, walk 1 minute plan sound to you? I seem to remember you saying that you liked intervals. (Overall you'll have more running, but I'm sure you can handle it ;) )

I don't know if I should run the whole way, I don't want to do too much too soon. I've only run 28 mins so far and 8K is about 45 isn't it? Even in 8min bursts its still way more than I've done before!

Also I'm getting used to the long runs RK (I wasn't enjoying the long runs in week 7 but week 8 is better :D) so when I finish C25K I might do a modified/combined version of HalHingdon and Podrunner, I don't have a GPS phone/watch so I'll be measuring it by time rather than distance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For most female beginners (apart from the few really quick ones *glare*) 8k is more like 50-55 minutes. Thing is - you'll never know unless you try :)

Advertisement