Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

For most female beginners (apart from the few really quick ones *glare*) 8k is more like 50-55 minutes. Thing is - you'll never know unless you try :)

Yikes! 50-55mins, I think I'll stick to my safe 30min W9D1 :D I'm not one of those quick ones, I'm still jogging really slowly! I have entered an 8K in July (5mile-Part of the dublin marathon series) so I think I'll leave the 8K run till then!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well whatever you feel suits you best :) I'll be doing that 5 mile race in the Phoenix Park in July too (along with the rest of the series), maybe try and bring the Couch to 5k heads in here and some of the A/R/T people together for a meetup :)

You doing any of the other races in the series? Worth it for the t-shirts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I really want to do that series but I'm not sure if I'll be around during the summer.

I always see people jogging around my area with those t-shirts!!!:)

dolliemix wrote: »
    I always see people jogging around my area with those t-shirts!!!:)
    I'm rather fond of mine from last year, my blue one from the half-marathon is pretty much my lucky racing shirt (wore it for DCM last year and the Great Ireland Run there a couple of weeks ago).

I'm rather fond of mine from last year, my blue one from the half-marathon is pretty much my lucky racing shirt (wore it for DCM last year and the Great Ireland Run there a couple of weeks ago).

Yeah I like that blue one. I got a t-shirt in Greece a few years ago in that colour after the Olympics and it says 'Sport is my Everything' on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭LessMass

Well, just finished W3D3 and it was fairly tough but I got there. I'm glad I had that chat with my marathon-running bro-in-law about how the first few mins of runs are the hardest because it's so true for me! the second 3 min run was definitely easier than the first one.
    I'm looking forward to W4 now, I haven't discovered what's involved in it..think I'll let it surprise me :) ignorance is bliss and all that :)

Because of the bank hol this weekend it means I'll have D1 & D2 of W4 without le buggy woo hoo! (mind you haven't done it yet :eek:)

I'm in awe of you doing it with the buggy! You're fantastic girl, I know I'd never be able to run and push the buggy at the same time!

Thank you bn x but you'd be surprised what you'd do to get out of the house & preserve your sanity when you've little ones ruling your life :D:D I'm sure you have overcome many things much greater than my mere buggy run so I've no doubt if the only way you could get out on your run was to take a buggy with you, you'd do it too! I can't see anything stopping you, you're fantastic and your enthusiasm is infectious!!! Can't wait to get to the stage you're at!! :)
    ps: less mass- fair play to you for running with the buggy god theres no way id be able for that i vcan hardly keep myself moving never mind something else well done!!

Thank you itsallaboutme x likewise for you as I've said above you'd be surprised what you could/would do to get out there - it's sort of addictive once you get going isn't it? I def wouldn't be doing any running at all if it wasn't for this thread so I reckon it's all relative, we all do what we have to do to get out there and then we come back here for support and that's the beauty of boards.ie.....think that might make a good slogan for those t shirts you're talking about....I'd definitely wear it :D:D:D:D

Thanks for all the kind words ladies and let's keep going!! we're all doing great xxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Done W3D2 last night. Didnt find it too hard after getting over the initial run.
    W3D3 at the weekend sometime. Heading to Achill where theres a 10k on but not running in it, almost everyone else I know is however. I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend.
    I think I'm gonna try fit an extra 1 or 2 sessions of running in on the nights I am not running. Maybe run the same set as I am running that week. I feel like I need it to push on the fitness and weightloss. I dont fee sore or anything after the runs so far so I think I'll try do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

32 mins!! Congrats thats fantastic hyperbaby!!! How did you find it, were there any tough hills?
    We'll have to get some t-shirts printed up for the Boards.ie C25k-ers :D

i know i was really pleased with myself, i'll try and aim for 30 or 31 mins next week!
    the hills weren't that bad, it was really keeping the momentum going.
    i was near the back i suppose and lots of people started walking half way through and i felt like stopping but i didn't thankfully :D

oh t-shirts, that would be such a cool idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Hi all

Well I did week3 day3 last night and got through it all found the last 20-30 seconds of the last run a bit tough but got to the end. starting week 4 on saturday morning heading to the phoenix park to do it. not sure why but i have found that any of the runs i have done in the park have been easier so hopefully thats how it will be on wk4day1 too!! dont know anything about week 4 yet so im just gonna go out and give it a go and see how it goes!

anyway well done to everyone keeping it going:D

Well whatever you feel suits you best I'll be doing that 5 mile race in the Phoenix Park in July too (along with the rest of the series), maybe try and bring the Couch to 5k heads in here and some of the A/R/T people together for a meetup

You doing any of the other races in the series? Worth it for the t-shirts :D

Cool that sounds good! I've entered the 10mile aswell but don't have a clue if I'll be able for it! I'll see closer to the day I guess and maybe do a run-walk thing instead :D Not going to enter the half in that series as its on a bit too early for me (if I ever actually get to that level of running :eek:). Will aim for the end of the year/start of next year for that.
    You're doing the dublin marathon too are you? That'll be a fantastic achievement!
    Yeah I like that blue one. I got a t-shirt in Greece a few years ago in that colour after the Olympics and it says 'Sport is my Everything' on it.

Someone passed me the other day with a black adidas t-shirt (not sure for what race as I didn't see the front) with 'Impossible is nothing' :D
    LessMass wrote: »
    Thank you bn x but you'd be surprised what you'd do to get out of the house & preserve your sanity when you've little ones ruling your life :D I'm sure you have overcome many things much greater than my mere buggy run so I've no doubt if the only way you could get out on your run was to take a buggy with you, you'd do it too! I can't see anything stopping you, you're fantastic and your enthusiasm is infectious!!! Can't wait to get to the stage you're at!! :)

I def wouldn't be doing any running at all if it wasn't for this thread so I reckon it's all relative, we all do what we have to do to get out there and then we come back here for support and that's the beauty of boards.ie.....think that might make a good slogan for those t shirts you're talking about....I'd definitely wear it :D:D:D:D

Thanks for all the kind words ladies and let's keep going!! we're all doing great xxxxxxx

Well done for finishing week 3! Buggy and all :D Thanks for the amazing words! Its hard to believe that mise, a former overeater and couch potato is now encouraging other people to exercise! (And being enthusiastic about it hehe :D)

I agree that I wouldn't have continued with the program without this thread and boards.ie in general! Didn't know about the podcasts in week 1 and definitely wouldn't have kept up the program without them! Eventually found out about the podcasts on here and it made such a difference! This thread is fantastic (all thanks to the wonderful Melia!)
    When I was at the stage you're at, Dolliemix was just finishing, so she was the one spurring me on. You'll get to where I am in no time!
    kippy wrote: »
    Done W3D2 last night. Didnt find it too hard after getting over the initial run.
    W3D3 at the weekend sometime. Heading to Achill where theres a 10k on but not running in it, almost everyone else I know is however. I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend.
    I think I'm gonna try fit an extra 1 or 2 sessions of running in on the nights I am not running. Maybe run the same set as I am running that week. I feel like I need it to push on the fitness and weightloss. I dont fee sore or anything after the runs so far so I think I'll try do it.

Kippy don't do too much either. I'd say stick to the 3 runs a week and then add in cycling/walking/swimming/tennis etc on your non-running days. I know you'd like to get fitter quicker but Don't rush it!. The program is designed the way it is for a reason and if you run too much you'll do damage to yourself. The fitness will improve as you go along, just don't rush things either!
    hyperbaby wrote: »
    i know i was really pleased with myself, i'll try and aim for 30 or 31 mins next week!
    the hills weren't that bad, it was really keeping the momentum going.
    i was near the back i suppose and lots of people started walking half way through and i felt like stopping but i didn't thankfully :D
    oh t-shirts, that would be such a cool idea...

It really is a fantastic achievement hyperbaby, especially at week 6! (Very jealous!) Who knows though, I might do it next year if I'm still in Galway :D
    Hi all

Well I did week3 day3 last night and got through it all found the last 20-30 seconds of the last run a bit tough but got to the end. starting week 4 on saturday morning heading to the phoenix park to do it. not sure why but i have found that any of the runs i have done in the park have been easier so hopefully thats how it will be on wk4day1 too!! dont know anything about week 4 yet so im just gonna go out and give it a go and see how it goes!
    anyway well done to everyone keeping it going:D

Ooh running in the Phoenix Park, sounds great and no cars to worry about! Enjoy week 4! xx

• Advertisement

Cool that sounds good! I've entered the 10mile aswell but don't have a clue if I'll be able for it! I'll see closer to the day I guess and maybe do a run-walk thing instead :D Not going to enter the half in that series as its on a bit too early for me (if I ever actually get to that level of running :eek:). Will aim for the end of the year/start of next year for that.
    I think I'm going to have to refer to a certain Mr Higdon again.
    Novice 15k/10 mile program
    10 week program, and it starts from a nice manageable point for somebody who has just completed Couch to 5k. Longest run in training is 8 miles, because adrenaline will carry you the extra 2 on the day.

Also, there are 4 weeks between the 10 mile race and the half, if you can do 10 miles in August you can certainly do 13.1 in September as long as you keep your training consistent.
    You're doing the dublin marathon too are you? That'll be a fantastic achievement!
    I did it last year too, hoping to do it faster this year! (I beat Oprah's time last year, now shooting for Sarah Palin's time! :pac: ) It's an absolutely incredible experience, and I honestly can't wait to do it again.
    Someone passed me the other day with a black adidas t-shirt (not sure for what race as I didn't see the front) with 'Impossible is nothing' :D
    A couple of years ago, the race series t-shirts had that on the back, and the DCM finishers shirt crossed out "is" and replaced it with "was". :D I kinda wanted last year's shirt to do that, but meh. :pac:

I think I'm going to have to refer to a certain Mr Higdon again.
    Novice 15k/10 mile program
    10 week program, and it starts from a nice manageable point for somebody who has just completed Couch to 5k. Longest run in training is 8 miles, because adrenaline will carry you the extra 2 on the day.

Thanks RK, the problem with the HH program is that it goes by distance and not time and I don't have a GPS watch/phone to do the distances accurately. I know I could check it on mapmyrun but I don't want to have to do that each time I have to run. Will see how it goes though. Was going to do the 10K program first like Dolliemix and then build up from there to the 15k. (I guess its the same thing either way)
    The 5k to 10k podrunner program builds up by 3 mins each week so its similar enough to the C25K format.
    Also, there are 4 weeks between the 10 mile race and the half, if you can do 10 miles in August you can certainly do 13.1 in September as long as you keep your training consistent.

Yikes! :eek::o Really? I can't even imagine myself doing a half marathon! Might wait till the Half in Galway in October though, will see how i'm getting on, might even do both (or maybe not :D:D)

I did it last year too, hoping to do it faster this year! (I beat Oprah's time last year, now shooting for Sarah Palin's time! :pac: ) It's an absolutely incredible experience, and I honestly can't wait to do it again.

A couple of years ago, the race series t-shirts had that on the back, and the DCM finishers shirt crossed out "is" and replaced it with "was". :D I kinda wanted last year's shirt to do that, but meh. :pac:

Hehe Oprah and Sarah Palin ran marathons? Didn't know that! It really is a fantastic achievement RK, regardless of the time, only a small percentage of the population will ever have the guts/fitness to run a marathon, be proud that you're one of them! :D

Thank you for all the wise words Miss Guru :D xx

I don't have a GPS watch or phone either, but I tend to run loops of distances that I've measured through MapMyRun. There's a very good reason why my long runs tend to be multiples of 4, 5 or 6 miles! :pac:

Also, Wikipedia delivers. List of famous people who have run marathons, and their times.

I don't have a GPS watch or phone either, but I tend to run loops of distances that I've measured through MapMyRun. There's a very good reason why my long runs tend to be multiples of 4, 5 or 6 miles! :pac:

Also, Wikipedia delivers. List of famous people who have run marathons, and their times.

Hmmm...ok will have a check of my route. Thanks RK

Hehe like this one!
    Mike Malinin, Goo Goo Dolls, Rock 'n' Roll Marathon 2004 (5:07:53) Mike stopped and briefly played drums with all 26 bands on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Well I'd a slight issue this eve - did W5D1 on Monday then out today to do D2 but for some reason it Wk5 had dissappeared from my ipod so I did W6D1 instead - now to decide do I do W5D2 at the weekend or W6D2??!!!

Anyone any suggestions - I did put week 5 back on my ipod to up for either!

what2do wrote: »
    Well I'd a slight issue this eve - did W5D1 on Monday then out today to do D2 but for some reason it Wk5 had dissappeared from my ipod so I did W6D1 instead - now to decide do I do W5D2 at the weekend or W6D2??!!!

Anyone any suggestions - I did put week 5 back on my ipod to up for either!

haha your username is very apt for this particular post! :D

How did you find week 6? thats really good going that you went ahead and did it! If I'm correct W6D2 is 2x 10 min runs.....so you've already run 20mins which is the long run for W5. Why don't you try 20 mins non stop next...which is W5D3? You're well able! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Am heading into elverys to get new runners and gonna get the gait analysis done. Anyone know do I need to bring my old runners??

Thanks

It would be worthwhile, because they can see the wear pattern on your old runners and that can give more information about your foot type and what shoes you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

haha your username is very apt for this particular post! :D

How did you find week 6? thats really good going that you went ahead and did it! If I'm correct W6D2 is 2x 10 min runs.....so you've already run 20mins which is the long run for W5. Why don't you try 20 mins non stop next...which is W5D3? You're well able! :p

it was W6D1 which was 5/8/5 so I guess it was not much of a step up - the 10/10 is W6D2 so I was thinkin I might do W5D3 and see how I find that and then move to W6D2..... it was all much better when I was clearly following the program and there were no options!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Completed w5d2 today! So delighted with myself running for 8 mins! I deffo think I enjoy the longer runs now! The second 8 was hard cos I felt it was harder to get into rhythm and my breathing was a bit mad. Really need to work on my breathing, but how???

Got gait analyis and new runners yesterday. The guy in elverys was super helpful - thanks to everyone who reccomended it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Hi all keep up the great work your all doing fab!!!

Well i got through w4d1 today.went to the phoenix park this afternoon to do it and just as we started it began pi$$ing down on us but i actually enjoyed running in the rain!!!

I knew nothing about week4 except that there were 5 minute runs in there somewhere! i was delighted to have done it all. I did get very tired near the end of the last 5min run and had to stop running for about 20 secs but i picked it up again and when the 5 mins were up i ran on for another bit to make up for stopping in the middle.

I dont know if its just me but i think im starting to feel a bit fitter as the weeks go by and i am enjoying the runs more and more!

like blueirishgirl above i need to work on my breathing too its fine at the start but when it comes to near then end it goes nuts!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

I've read all the posts some great work being done! I started running on Wednesday but I'm going to go back to the start on Monday so that I can have definite running days.

I was talking to a friend who has been running for years who says that it takes six weeks for the muscular pain to completely abate so not too concerned about that but I'm finding it hard to draw the breath out! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Completed week 5 day one!!! Was really happy with how I got on! The 5 minutes runs were grand! I even extended the last 5 minute run a bit longer cos I was so happy with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Completed week 5 day one!!! Was really happy with how I got on! The 5 minutes runs were grand! I even extended the last 5 minute run a bit longer cos I was so happy with it!

Well done! I'm starting Week 5 this week and the 5 mins look ok but the 20 min one will be mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Well done! I'm starting Week 5 this week and the 5 mins look ok but the 20 min one will be mental!

yeah I'm not even thinking about that 20 minute one or I'll cry!
    Focusing on sorting out the 8 minute one now on Tuesday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

im in trouble :mad: was nearly finished w4d3 yesatrday when i felt my calf tighten as if i was getting a cramp. tried to run through it but had to stop. so i stretched it out. then could nt get going again. just too sore so i hobbled home. i think ive pulled /torn my calf muscle. i cant walk properly on it. i can walk if i keep my foot flat. but if i try to roll onto the ball of my foot and transfer my weight up through my calf i get a bang of pain right into my calf :eek:
    any ideas / help/ suggestions. i need to get going asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

physio physio physio

i speak from experience - if dealt with immediatly by a physio - you could be back in a few days with some rest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

also forgot to mention that the first 24 hrs is golden oppertunity to minimise injury - take anti inflammatories now and before you sleep and in the morning, and ice ice ice the calf and if you can keep it elevated and compressed. Don't worry - once youy rest these things heal pretty quick.

yeah I'm not even thinking about that 20 minute one or I'll cry!
    Focusing on sorting out the 8 minute one now on Tuesday!!!

Try not to worry too much about it girls!! Remember back to when I was doing it (have a look at my diary for my semi-freakout about a month ago!) Get through the first few days on week 5 first before focusing on the 20 min. You both are ready for it!! PMA all the way :D:D Both of you will get through it and ace it! :D xx
    im in trouble :mad: was nearly finished w4d3 yesatrday when i felt my calf tighten as if i was getting a cramp. tried to run through it but had to stop. so i stretched it out. then could nt get going again. just too sore so i hobbled home. i think ive pulled /torn my calf muscle. i cant walk properly on it. i can walk if i keep my foot flat. but if i try to roll onto the ball of my foot and transfer my weight up through my calf i get a bang of pain right into my calf :eek:
    any ideas / help/ suggestions. i need to get going asap.

Curly I agree with ULStudent, book yourself in for a physio session! Hope you're feeling ok soon xx

• Advertisement

Jogged 5K today for the first time!! Woop woop!! :D:D Very proud :):o

Advertisement