Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FreeHugs

Jogged 5K today for the first time!! Woop woop!! :D:D Very proud :):o

wow well done!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭LessMass

I did W4D1 on Sat and W4D2 this morning (just finished) so nice to be finished and it's only 9am on a Mon - only one buggy run this week too so it's all good :)

Had my podcast on as per usual but in my head I thought it was supposed to be 5mins/8mins/5mins/8mins for week 4 (don't ask me where I got this from!!) so when on my second run and the voice came on and said "you're now half way through your second five minute run" I just thought it was wrong! so I turned it off altogether and just went by my stopwatch.
    I did the same thing today! so my W4 runs have been:

Run 5mins, walk 90sec, run 8mins, walk 3mins, run 5mins, walk 90sec run home which on D1 was 9 and a half mins and D2 was 8 and a half mins.

I just read over some of the other W4-ers and I think I've got it all mixed up!!
    Anyway, it's done now! and I feel great after it - like I said before it's great feeling my fitness improving though my four year old son says I'll never be as fast as him :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭LessMass

Jogged 5K today for the first time!! Woop woop!! :D:D Very proud :):o

Well done bn!! fair play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

LessMass wrote: »
    up!!
    Anyway, it's done now! and I feel great after it - like I said before it's great feeling my fitness improving though my four year old son says I'll never be as fast as him :D:D

I agree when you see the fitness improving it does feel great. Encourages you to keep going.
    Anyway I've just done W5D1 but repeated the first few weeks a good few times. I've lost exactly 1 stone since starting and my jeans are getting looser:D, I'm also exercising more or less every day now and loving it. No matter what time of the night I always want to head out. Great after a tough days work to clear the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well, had a pretty hectic weekend.
    Didnt manage to get W3D3 done and trying to figure out what to do today. I have a bit of free time between 4 and 5 and deciding whether to do W3D3 or move on to W4D1. I think I'll do W3D3 as I've skipped a day last week and since the runs are getting tougher its probably best to finish off every week, even if it takes a bit longer.
    I watched most of my friends run 10K in achill over the weekend, they all did well. This time next year I'll be there too hopefully.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Well, had a pretty hectic weekend.
    Didnt manage to get W3D3 done and trying to figure out what to do today. I have a bit of free time between 4 and 5 and deciding whether to do W3D3 or move on to W4D1. I think I'll do W3D3 as I've skipped a day last week and since the runs are getting tougher its probably best to finish off every week, even if it takes a bit longer.
    I watched most of my friends run 10K in achill over the weekend, they all did well. This time next year I'll be there too hopefully.

W3D3 done yesterday.
    Tag this evening followed by a 3 mile walk.
    W4D1 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Well I completed week4 last night. I was wrecked tired before I did it so I kind of went into it in the mindset that I was too tired to do it. I managed to do all of it but had to stop twice during the last 5 minute run. When I say I HAD to stop I think it was more becasue I had set out thinking ill have to stop. Felt a bit disappointed with myself when it was finished but will let it go and am all set now for week5 on saturday. Find that knowing nothing about it really helps too Im not stressing over how long the runs are just taking it as it comes and see how I go.

I have kind of got into a lil routine now Saturday Monday and Wednesday are now run days and I make sure I set aside the time to do it each of those days. I think thats why I am sticking to this programme as it has a routine to it, like a few weeks back I wasnt able to get out for about 4 days and when I went out again I found it really tough.So keeping to the set days is really working and Im enjoying doing it too which is something i never thought id say as I used to HATE running and the whole motion of it. I still wouldnt say I love it but its enjoyable now rather than a chore.

Anyway keep up the good work everyone;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 irishabi

I'm hoping to start this - does anyone have any hard-earned advice? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

irishabi wrote: »

It's pretty awesome because it's structured to trick you into getting fitter and building up your running time.. I'm halfway through week 5 now, (which means halfway through the programme, eek!) and I would never push myself to 20 minute runs if the podcast wasn't telling me to do it! I guess my only tip would be to make sure to keep it up and set aside time to do it regularly. It's sooo easy to be lazy and put it off but once you get out there and start your run it feels amazing! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

When I tried the first time I collapsed on a verge at the side of the road and couldnt even manage to do half of week 1. I was wondering how people were managing at all at all!

I managed to go day 3 of week 3 last night- its amazing how well designed the programme is to just keep pushing you gradually.

My thing (weird as it may seem) is to count steps for the runs. For a 90 second run for example its 240 steps, for a 3 min its 480... I'm not sure how much lomger i can keep doing that- but it works for me!

Just start- and no matter how hard it seems at first keep going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Afternoon folks, another C25K tryer here (odd place to have this thread, F&D>N&D>FD?). I did W4D1 yesterday, but never even got close to the required times - both 5mins were cut short, although I did manage both 3mins. I had had problems with W3D1 and W3D2, only completing the programme on W3D3, so now I'm thinking I should revert to W3 and do it 3 days in a row before moving on to W4. The other alternative is to keep trying W4 til I get it.

Did W4D1 there today.
    Completed all the running sections but it was defo a relatively sizeable step up from W3.
    That said I was more tired than usual having done a fair bit activity wise yesterday.
    Currently I am doing the 5K in 34/35 minutes.
    Planning on Saturday and Monday for D2 and D3, which will only leave me a few days out going into next week.
    I've exams next week however but I see this as a very positive distraction.

To the last poster, I never really noticed where this thread was actually hosted but yes, I dont think this is the most apt forum for it but I suppose there is an element of diet in it.

Buy really good runners! Definatly worth the investment, your feet will thank you!! I used an old cheap pair when I started and they literally fell apart a week into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

LessMass wrote: »
    So my W4 runs have been:
    Run 5mins, walk 90sec, run 8mins, walk 3mins, run 5mins, walk 90sec run home which on D1 was 9 and a half mins and D2 was 8 and a half mins.

I just read over some of the other W4-ers and I think I've got it all mixed up!!

Yep I think you're doing a week 5 hybrid of W5D1 and W5D2! Week 4 should be
    Jog 3 mins
    Walk 90 secs
    Jog 5 mins
    Walk 2.5 mins
    Jog 3 mins
    Walk 90 secs
    Jog 5 mins

But if you're ok doing your hybrid runs then thats ok too!! :D Try to go back to following the podcasts though, will avoid you doing too much too soon and causing yourself any damage!

-Get yourself good runners (somewhere that does personalised consultations/gait analysis)
    -Get proper running gear too (might not help technique but def made me more confident-like I was a real runner :D)
    -Take it slow, don't try and run too fast, its about being able to do the runs as outlined on the podcast and not how fast/far you can go!

Best of luck, it really is a fantastic programme as it builds you up slowly. I jogged 5K last weekend for the first time all thanks to C25K!
    corblimey wrote: »
    Afternoon folks, another C25K tryer here (odd place to have this thread, F&D>N&D>FD?). I did W4D1 yesterday, but never even got close to the required times - both 5mins were cut short, although I did manage both 3mins. I had had problems with W3D1 and W3D2, only completing the programme on W3D3, so now I'm thinking I should revert to W3 and do it 3 days in a row before moving on to W4. The other alternative is to keep trying W4 til I get it.

Hey corblimey, love the name! :D
    Nope not an odd place to have the thread! Its a support thread for the food diary people who are doing the programme. We didn't want to put the thread in the Athletics or Fitness forums as it was specific to our group (but obviously anyone is allowed to post in here!)

Guys, thank you for all the thanks on my 5K post! :D Really appreciate the support here :) Still really chuffed over the run on Sunday, I prob pushed myself a bit much (see below) but proud that I did it! Myself and my mum walked a similar race last year in Galway which was mainly runners with only a few walkers like us. We ended up being the last ones to finish (only by a small amount), so to be able to jog some of this and pass most of the walkers out felt good! :D
    Haven't gone for a proper run since sunday as my left calf is still a bit tight. Think it might be a combination of lack of exercise over the last few days (10 hours of driving in 2 days up and down to Derry ugh!) and not enough water (stress of exams and travelling=less time paying attention to water consumption!)
    Yesterday and today I tried to run and it felt really uncomfortable, my left leg was stiff and felt like I was limping/racewalking rather than jogging! There wasn't much pain but it just felt wrong so I didn't push it and walked the rest of the way. Will see how a few days of going for walks and normal water drinking goes and will try again on Sunday or Monday. If it hasn't sorted itself out by then I'll head to a physio!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

BN - again well done. Great feeling it must have been.

Stretch the calf out plenty. Hold the stretch 30-60 sec and repeat again. Do this a few times during the day - i find that always takes care of tightness. DO you have a rolling pen or somethin like that? if you do you could put the rolling pen on the ground and roll it over the tight calf - its a form of muscle release and will be a little uncomfortable but it works wonders.

Some great progress you're doing mad good.

ULstudent wrote: »
    BN - again well done. Great feeling it must have been.

Stretch the calf out plenty. Hold the stretch 30-60 sec and repeat again. Do this a few times during the day - i find that always takes care of tightness. DO you have a rolling pen or somethin like that? if you do you could put the rolling pen on the ground and roll it over the tight calf - its a form of muscle release and will be a little uncomfortable but it works wonders.

Some great progress you're doing mad good.

Thanks UL! :D Think we have a rolling pin somewhere, failing that I can always use my bicycle pump :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Hi all, so its the start of week 5 today heading to the park later to do it. I know nothing about what week5 entails so just gonna wing it and see how i get on! hopefully well as im up since 4.30am again for work so with a bit of luck tiredness wont hinder me too much:eek::eek:

cant believe im at week 5 already when i think back to week 1 and i was struggling with the 60second jogs and now i can do the 5 minute ones it really brings it home that this is actually working and my fitness is improving!!1

anyway ill post later about how i get on:eek:;)

update!!

very proud of myself today got through all 3 five minute runs today without stopping once!!! didnt know anything about what week 5 has in store other than the three days are different. So im delighted to have gotten through today with no problems bring on day 2 monday evening!!!

Hi all,
    Doing W4D2 later on today, but just to agree with the posters above. It is well worth spending money on a pair of proper running shoes. Especially if you are going running on hard surfaces. I bought a pair of Asics something or other in the states a few months ago and they make a big difference.
    While they may seem expensive, its a small investment relative to other forms of getting fit.

I finished week 4 today!!!!!!!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeee and I've the sunburn to prove it! Don't care, its my badge of honour

And now the amazing news! 5 weeks and no asthma attacks!!!!!! I haven't even felt a tingle, I've never gone this long without being even a little wheezy- I'm actually really emotional about it :) I'm super proud of me *stops hogging the spot light, sorry*

• Advertisement

FreeHugs wrote: »
    I finished week 4 today!!!!!!!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeee and I've the sunburn to prove it! Don't care, its my badge of honour

And now the amazing news! 5 weeks and no asthma attacks!!!!!! I haven't even felt a tingle, I've never gone this long without being even a little wheezy- I'm actually really emotional about it :) I'm super proud of me *stops hogging the spot light, sorry*

Fair play,
    I've a very similar story.
    W4D2 did yesterday. I havent had to use my inhaler in over a month at this stage. Not sure if everything is linked but havent used my inhaler since returning from skiing.
    W4D3 tomorrow.

Thats fantastic to hear about the no asthma! Shows you that you both are getting fitter! Congrats to you both! xx

Headed out yesterday morning and did most of W9D1, I ran for about 25 mins with two small walking breaks. Didn't feel 100% and when I slowed down to a walk at the end my legs were a bit jelly-like. But its way better than it was and will leave doing the next run till Thurs or Friday this week. Was hoping that I would do a 5k on the 29th May in Dublin but I'm not so sure of that now, might wait till the one in Meath on the 12th June. Hoping this sorts itself out soon! Have learned my lesson: don't do too much too soon!

Just wondering is anyone on the 8 or 10 K programmes?

kippy wrote: »
    Just wondering is anyone on the 8 or 10 K programmes?

Dolliemix is doing the HalHigdon 10K program, not sure what NSB is doing. Once I finish the C25K, (attempting week 9 this week, will try and do it again next week just to get back into it properly), then I'll move onto the HH 10K program too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Hi all,
    Well I finally started Couch To 5k today and did W1D1 a few hours ago. I am so much more unfit than I thought lol. I have to say I did find it tough going. I missed the second run as I think my body was in that much shock after the first one... but I managed the rest, albeit the last 2 with a really hard push. Really glad I finally started it though. When I arrived back home afterwards I thought 'That's it, I am NEVER doing that again!' but now that I've cooled down a bit I feel more positive about doing W1D2 on Wednesday. Only problem I have is that since I came back I have a massive blister on my left foot :( which I hope won't hamper progress on Wednesday, anyone have any tips for me on how to ease the pain/get rid of it fast? I am wearing the right runners, and they're broken in well so its not that.
    So W1D1 done!!! Yay!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

hi everyone, i havent been on this thread in aaages!! ye are all flying it, lots of week5 people as well, your first 20mins is soon!!

to be honest im really not enjoying running at the moment, i had a really horrible one a few weeks ago and have been dreading them since. i run for about 40 mins now and will try 50 mins on saturday and just see how i cope.

totally agree on the running shoes comment, it makes such a difference, my hips used be so sore now they are only a tiny bit tight sometimes and im positive its down the the shoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Hi everyone, just spotted this thread!

I've been doing this for a while now, but haven't progressed past Week 3 between holidays/health problems (stupid sinus infections!). I find it really addictive, but I'm not looking forward to W4D1 tonight to be honest. Weeks 1 & 2 were ok but those 3 minute runs in Week 3 damn near killed me, and they didn't get any easier even though I went out four times last week. Did anyone else find that it got pretty difficult around this time? I feel kind of down about it, I want to follow the plan but I can't see myself reaching 5 minutes once let alone twice, and it feels like I've been stuck on Week 3 forever.

On the plus side I bought my first pair of shorts since I was about 16, and my first EVER pair of running shorts. They come to my knees, but progress is progress, right? :)

Gauge wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just spotted this thread!

I've been doing this for a while now, but haven't progressed past Week 3 between holidays/health problems (stupid sinus infections!). I find it really addictive, but I'm not looking forward to W4D1 tonight to be honest. Weeks 1 & 2 were ok but those 3 minute runs in Week 3 damn near killed me, and they didn't get any easier even though I went out four times last week. Did anyone else find that it got pretty difficult around this time? I feel kind of down about it, I want to follow the plan but I can't see myself reaching 5 minutes once let alone twice, and it feels like I've been stuck on Week 3 forever.

On the plus side I bought my first pair of shorts since I was about 16, and my first EVER pair of running shorts. They come to my knees, but progress is progress, right? :)
    Hey,
    Yep, week 4 is that bit tougher and I found it so. Keep the head up and if you need more time to finish off the week, use the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

terlywerly wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Well I finally started Couch To 5k today and did W1D1 a few hours ago. I am so much more unfit than I thought lol. I have to say I did find it tough going. I missed the second run as I think my body was in that much shock after the first one... but I managed the rest, albeit the last 2 with a really hard push. Really glad I finally started it though. When I arrived back home afterwards I thought 'That's it, I am NEVER doing that again!' but now that I've cooled down a bit I feel more positive about doing W1D2 on Wednesday. Only problem I have is that since I came back I have a massive blister on my left foot :( which I hope won't hamper progress on Wednesday, anyone have any tips for me on how to ease the pain/get rid of it fast? I am wearing the right runners, and they're broken in well so its not that.
    So W1D1 done!!! Yay!! :D

could be the socks?

hi everyone, i havent been on this thread in aaages!! ye are all flying it, lots of week5 people as well, your first 20mins is soon!!

Welcome back newsizebooty! Could you try varying your runs. Some short some long. Otherwise you'll feel burnt out! I run three times a week now on the hal higdon program. 2 miles (20 minsish), 3 miles ( 3 just over 30 mins for me) and one long run a week. Every week the long run increases in distAnce by about half a mile. I'm on week 6 now and should be doing 8 k at the weekend ( it should take me between 50 and 60 mins). The advice I got was to do the long runs at a nice easy pAce. And now they're my favourite runs of the week

to be honest im really not enjoying running at the moment, i had a really horrible one a few weeks ago and have been dreading them since. i run for about 40 mins now and will try 50 mins on saturday and just see how i cope.

totally agree on the running shoes comment, it makes such a difference, my hips used be so sore now they are only a tiny bit tight sometimes and im positive its down the the shoes

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    could be the socks?

Indeed,
    The socks could be bunching up alright.
    You can also get antiblister socks as well but not sure how good they are.

Advertisement