Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

Good luck! The first day might be tough, but it gets to be so much fun! Keep going, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Jessibelle wrote: »
    It's my first day later today! Reading through this thread has gotten me so motivated it's fab :) Wish me luck :D
    Best of luck!! You'll be running 5K in no time!! :D

Melia, did u head out today or is it a rest day?

Rest day, thankfully! It's absolutely miserable out. Turns out I have to go back home tomorrow to look after the animal farm, so it's either three minute runs uphill or cruising around to scout out somewhere flat where I can run with the mutt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Melia wrote: »
    So can we make a list of people doing this?

Daisy Steiner (Week 1)
    Jwacqui (Week 1) You're on the list, now you have to start!
    sunshine rose (Week 1)

Dolorous (Week 2)
    perri winkles (Week 2)

Melia (Week 3)

brainyneuron (Week 4)

newsizedbooty (Week 5)

dolliemix (Week 9)

Haha! Ok!

Tomorrow I am starting!! It's the push I need this week! :D

Have week one downloaded and on my ipod and all, working until 5.30 so will do it in the evening!

Yay, I'm so excited!

• Advertisement

Yay go Jwacqui!! :D Melia we'll have everyone doing it soon!! :p

Rest day, thankfully! It's absolutely miserable out. Turns out I have to go back home tomorrow to look after the animal farm, so it's either three minute runs uphill or cruising around to scout out somewhere flat where I can run with the mutt.

Animal farm?
    Definitely scout out somewhere flat, it'll be much better for you than pushing it on the hills and doing too much too soon!

Animal farm?
    Definitely scout out somewhere flat, it'll be much better for you than pushing it on the hills and doing too much too soon!

Well, the cat and the dog. But the dog's so massive and they both follow me around so much it feels like the house is full of animals.

The cat wakes me up in the mornings by either dive-bombing me from the shelf above my bed, or by attempting to suffocate me by curling up on my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Can I ask if anyone on here is a smoker? I am and I'm afraid my lungs will try and escape when I start running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Yay, I'm so excited!
    Yay go Jwacqui!! :D Melia we'll have everyone doing it soon!! :p

YAY! Now I'm excited!! :p

Hope I don't die! :p The last time I was in the gym I could only run for maybe 75seconds max but that was flat out so hope it goes well!

• Advertisement

Well, the cat and the dog. But the dog's so massive and they both follow me around so much it feels like the house is full of animals.

The cat wakes me up in the mornings by either dive-bombing me from the shelf above my bed, or by attempting to suffocate me by curling up on my head.

OMG you're cat sounds crazy! We've a crazy cat too but not that crazy! :D Ditto to the following around though! The cat sometimes comes on my walks along with the dog, though she generally doesn't keep up for v long and ends up going after birds etc in one of the fields until I get back!

By animal farm I thought u meant horses/cows etc, as in your parents were going away somewhere and you had to mind the farm hehe :D

Can I ask if anyone on here is a smoker? I am and I'm afraid my lungs will try and escape when I start running.

Nope sorry not a smoker! Awful habit Daisy u really should give up! :D Its a bit counter productive to be doing the C25K while ur still on the fags! (Sorry!) I'd say you'd be fine tho for the first few jogs, it mite be the longer ones that are harder but I'm not 100% sure on that either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Jwacqui wrote: »
    YAY! Now I'm excited!! :p

Hope I don't die! :p The last time I was in the gym I could only run for maybe 75seconds max but that was flat out so hope it goes well!

Go J, go J, go J, go J, you can do it girl I have total faith in you!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can do anything you put your mind to!!!xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hi daisy

I gave up smoking on jan 1st. I neede something to keep me distracted and so I started couch to 5k on feb 2nd cos a guy on the giving up smoking forum on boards had started it. I dot even know him but I think his suggestion might have changed my life! Neither of us have smoked in three months now, and we can both run 5k at this stage. I don't think I'd have had the confidence to get this far if I hadn't stopped smoking. I'm meeting friends this evening that I haven't met since Christmas and I feel like they'll be meeting a different person. Giving up smoking is really hard at first but, I honestly rarely think about them now.

Anyway you have to want to do it yourself. I actually did it on impulse because I felt sick after over indulging on new years eve!

If you have toyed with the idea of giving up now would be a good time to go for it! We'll support you on the giving up smoking forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

Hi ladies, am glad today is my rest day as well cos its horrible here in cork. Cant believe I will do my 1st 20min run tomorrow morning, i dont care what the weather is like, im gone. I am going to get new runners as well this weekend.

Melia thats gas, I have two mad cats and cannot do an exercise video in my own house with them. The last time i was trying to do pressups and they were skidding around in under me, best craic ever for them:D. Gotta love thems pussy cats though.

Have my weigh in tomorrow as well, i am guessing ill be the same as last week cos I am having a fat feeling week besides doing everything right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Just done with Day one, not too bad at all, had it as going to be a lot tougher in my head. if I'm finding it fairly easy should I skip on to week two or just follow the programe as is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

hi jessiebel stick to the programme, or at least do the rest of week one. I found day one easy myself but then my body realised that I was going to be working it hard and started protesting after that:D maybe reassess at the end of week 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I started today!! :D Wasn't too bad at all. A little repetetive (the music sux0red - I wanted to run away from it!) but not too strenuous and I felt good after. Only gonna do it twice a week because I have boxing twice a week as it is!

Hi ladies, am glad today is my rest day as well cos its horrible here in cork. Cant believe I will do my 1st 20min run tomorrow morning, i dont care what the weather is like, im gone. I am going to get new runners as well this weekend.

Melia thats gas, I have two mad cats and cannot do an exercise video in my own house with them. The last time i was trying to do pressups and they were skidding around in under me, best craic ever for them:D. Gotta love thems pussy cats though.

Have my weigh in tomorrow as well, i am guessing ill be the same as last week cos I am having a fat feeling week besides doing everything right.

Good luck tomorrow! Just keep going all the way...you can do it!

Congrats dollie, you're doing fantastically well! You're totally a source of motivation for me, its great to hear about how you're getting on and its also great knowing that its not an impossible goal to reach. :D xx
    I'll be where you are by May (barring any complications-touch wood!) which is both exciting and daunting at the same time! I was in getting my shoes today (bloody expensive :eek: but definitely worth it!) and the girl (also from Cork, small world!:D) was asking me if I was thinking of entering a marathon or triathalon!!! I was like :eek: wtf! I'm not thinking that far ahead at all!! Who knows if I'll even want to graduate from 5K to 10K when I finish C25K! A marathon is waay off in the murky distance and would obviously be an amazing thing to do but jeez, 4 hours of running? It doesn't even bear thinking about, especially as I'm only at 5mins at the mo hehe! :p

Well done on getting the good runners. Do you mind me asking which ones they suggested? I use Asics Kayanos which are probably the most expensive going. 150 euros in Elverys and Lifestyle sport!:( Even when I went to New York they were cheaper, but still 140 dollars! I never got the gait done but I had to get a lot of physio two years ago because I had plantar fascitis. The physio was very good and he suggested Kayanos. It took me two years to build up the courage to try running, because plantar fascitis is really painful, but I haven't felt a thing since I started the C25k so I'm sticking with the expensive runners - because in the long term I'll be saving on physio visits and pain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

dolliemix wrote: »
    Well done on getting the good runners. Do you mind me asking which ones they suggested? I use Asics Kayanos which are probably the most expensive going. 150 euros in Elverys and Lifestyle sport!:( Even when I went to New York they were cheaper, but still 140 dollars!

I got a pair on ebay for €42 inc delivery... I think that was a fluke, they're mostly €90+ on Buy It Now. Still worth checking out.

I started today!! :D Wasn't too bad at all. A little repetetive (the music sux0red - I wanted to run away from it!) but not too strenuous and I felt good after. Only gonna do it twice a week because I have boxing twice a week as it is!

Are you using the Robert Ullrey podcast? Maybe try the Running Into Shape one linked in the first post - still not my kind of music but I find it easier to listen to than techno!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

Woot to all the new runners!!!

You guys are fantastic!!!

Im doing a slightly different programme of just straight forward interval training in the gym...more details on my food log of what Im up to. Im at it four weeks now. I measured myself before I started training proper so hopefully Ill be able to post good results in two weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Thanks - I'm going to try and give this ago starting tomorrow (I am going to buy a pair or runners this evening).

Wish me luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Hi all,
    Great to see such a big take up to this thread. Well done to everyone giving it a go and very best of luck to those of you who are just starting out on it. Im on week 9 (should have done day 1 already but just couldnt face it in that weather!). I have to see I have enjoyed it sooooo much and have been recommending it to everyone I meet. Next week I'll be starting Hal Higdons 5k to 10k plan and am signed up for the Flora Womens MIni Marathon in June which Im planning to run.
    Anyway just wanted to pop in and add some support.
    Enjoy it!
    Tipsy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

dolliemix wrote: »
    I use Asics Kayanos which are probably the most expensive going. 150 euros in Elverys and Lifestyle sport!:( Even when I went to New York they were cheaper, but still 140 dollars! I never got the gait done but I had to get a lot of physio two years ago because I had plantar fascitis. The physio was very good and he suggested Kayanos.

You can't go far wrong with the Kayanos in fairness. They are the most popular brand for severe Over Pronators (i.e. people whose feet/ankles twist a lot when running) so they are a very stable shoe. They really lock your feet and ankle in place. Someone who is a neutral or mild pronator though would probably find them too restrictive/stiff and ultimately a little uncomfortable. Commonly such folk would say there is little movement in the sole and they are very Hard.

Overall, they are a good default shoe for someone who tends to get injured a lot from running (shin splints, Plantar Fasciitis etc).*

*This advise is not from a professional, just from what I have heard over the last year or so running*

Anybody heading out in this weather?

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses, but it's freezing and snowing really heavily and I'd end up slipping on the wet ground and doing some damage. I really hope it's a bit better tomorrow morning.

Anybody heading out in this weather?

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses, but it's freezing and snowing really heavily and I'd end up slipping on the wet ground and doing some damage. I really hope it's a bit better tomorrow morning.

Don't worry! Best not to attempt to do it in the dark and slippy! I went this morning and got lucky with the weather (its generally nicer in the mornings here than the evenings I've noticed!)
    Maybe head to the gym tomorrow (or do a fitness dvd if you have any) if the weather is still bad.

Don't worry! Best not to attempt to do it in the dark and slippy! I went this morning and got lucky with the weather (its generally nicer in the mornings here than the evenings I've noticed!)
    Maybe head to the gym tomorrow (or do a fitness dvd if you have any) if the weather is still bad.

I'm not in Dublin right now, so no gym for me - but I could hunt down a fitness DVD or use the exercise bike. I'm on my own here tomorrow so I might drag it down and watch a DVD or some TV while cycling!

• Advertisement

I'm not in Dublin right now, so no gym for me - but I could hunt down a fitness DVD or use the exercise bike. I'm on my own here tomorrow so I might drag it down and watch a DVD or some TV while cycling!

Sounds like a good plan! Have W4D2 tomorrow, hoping the weather is ok again! Fingers crossed! If its slippy I'll just go for a walk but even in the really slippy days over xmas I saw ppl jogging so it must be possible somehow!!

Advertisement