Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Did W1D2 tonight, I have to say I found it a lot easier to do at night than in the morning, probably cos it's a bit cooler. This time I managed to do all the jogs without having to stop and I didn't feel half as wrecked after it as W1D1. The new socks definitely helped (thank you rainbow kirby!), and I actually found myself thinking 'I'm actually enjoying this a bit'... :)
    Feel a bit more confident about the whole thing now than I did on Monday. Such pains in my legs and ankles (and my bum :o) but thankfully they were gone by today.
    Roll on W1D3 on Friday or Saturday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

W5 D1 done last night, twas late enough when I got around to it, but managed all the runs. Tired now though, up since 5 studying for an exam I had this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

How did the exam go kippy?

How did the exam go kippy?

Went well,
    Just want to get the bare pass so the majority of my "study" was done this morning. One more left to do.

kippy wrote: »
    Went well,
    Just want to get the bare pass so the majority of my "study" was done this morning. One more left to do.

Haha snap! Thats exactly how my exam yesterday went! :D When is your next one?

• Advertisement

Going to head out for W9D2 tomorrow, hopefully my calf won't act up, have been sticking to my 2L water a day so that prob helps too. Seeing as I won't be doing the 5K at 30 mins I'll take 2 weeks and work my way up to it before I start the HH program. So next week I'll do 3 runs of 33 mins and the week after 3 runs of 36 (or however long it takes to do 5K). Then the week after I'll start HH 10K program (or maybe I'll combine the 1st wk of HH with the 3x36runs). Anyway fingers crossed for tomorrow and hope the calf complies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Going to head out for W9D2 tomorrow, hopefully my calf won't act up, have been sticking to my 2L water a day so that prob helps too. Seeing as I won't be doing the 5K at 30 mins I'll take 2 weeks and work my way up to it before I start the HH program. So next week I'll do 3 runs of 33 mins and the week after 3 runs of 36 (or however long it takes to do 5K). Then the week after I'll start HH 10K program (or maybe I'll combine the 1st wk of HH with the 3x36runs). Anyway fingers crossed for tomorrow and hope the calf complies!

Good plan Brainy - although I'd say you'll be ready to start Hal Higdon next week. But whatever feels right for you!

Good lock tomorrow!

Haha snap! Thats exactly how my exam yesterday went! :D When is your next one?

I have my second and final exam on Saturday at 14:30. I'll be going for a D2 run tomorrow evening and D3 on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

Hey all, have started the Couch 2 5k earlier this week. This is actually my third time attempting it, the other two times life (and laziness!) got in the way. Hoping to actually stick to it this time, and I also have my boyfriend doing it with me, so that's more motivation. We did W1D2 last night and it was grand, it's generally week 2 where it starts getting difficult for me...

chickenpoo wrote: »
    Hey all, have started the Couch 2 5k earlier this week. This is actually my third time attempting it, the other two times life (and laziness!) got in the way. Hoping to actually stick to it this time, and I also have my boyfriend doing it with me, so that's more motivation. We did W1D2 last night and it was grand, it's generally week 2 where it starts getting difficult for me...

Congrats on starting it! Thats great that you have your bf as support this time! Make sure you don't worry about week 2 too much as if you think you won't be able to do it you probably won't! Remember: PMA at all times (Positive Mental Attitude!) and you'll fly through the weeks no problem :D Best of luck with the next run xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Week 2 is hard alright but do it a 2nd time if you have to
    I'm on w3d2 tomorrow, never thought I'd even get this far. W1D1 i literally did about half it then couldn't cope anymore and went to lie on my bed panting and dying for about 10 min :eek: now by the time I get home I'm ok again!! you'll get there :D

Went out for W9D2 this morning, though my ipod had died and when I tried to charge it nothing happened! So set my phone alarm for 30 mins instead! My left calf was perfect though my legs in general were a bit stiff but I guess that'll sort itself out once I get back into routine again! Dollie I think you're right, I might start the HH program next week, will have to tweak it a bit though due to my exam on Monday! It means that I'll have just about finished the program by the time I have the 5mile in the Phoenix Park :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Did W4D3 last night, had to stop a few times :mad: I varied my route again and there was a lot more uphill slopes than I'm used to- I extended the final run a bit to hopefully make up for it. Also managed to swallow a fly, eeeugh.

One amazing thing I've noticed was I can no longer 'jiggle' my calf, as silly as that sounds! I used to have wobbly... well, fat calves and they've totally toned up. I can't believe it! I've never been toned in my life! Hopefully I'll get out for a fourth run in Cork at the weekend. I find myself really looking forward to getting out of work in the evenings so I can head out.

Gauge wrote: »
    Also managed to swallow a fly, eeeugh.

Did exactly the same thing wednesday night!

Hey, good luck with it! I'm doing W1D3 either tonight or tomorrow morning depending on how the day goes. It took me a very long time to get motivated to doing it, and I found the first day so so hard, but W1D2 was ok enough and I actually started to enjoy it a bit. I never thought I was so unfit until I started.
    You're lucky that your bf is doing it with you, my OH said he'd start, did the first day and never kept going :( Maybe when he sees how well I get on he'll change his mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Well I'm back! I dunno how long I've been gone for but I'm guessing a month or so. For those who don't remember I was up to Week 2 but injured my leg and had to stop. I went to a physio who said it was just a strain and to rest it for a couple of weeks. I went back out tonight for the first time and although it had been so long I decided to chance my arm at W2D1 again. I'd never actually completed it before but I did tonight and I am thrilled. At the end I felt like I was going to puke, which is a bit disgusting, but I'm proud that I pushed myself that far. When I say "pushed" it didn't feel like a struggle but I could feel the exercise, if that makes sense.

I also brought my phone with me instead of my inhaler and felt much better that way. I have Sports Induced Asthma and have a fear of being out running and having an attack so I used to bring my inhaler but tell my OH my route and how long it should take me. That way, if I wasn't back by a certain time he could come find me. Taking my phone made me more relaxed because now all I had to do was ring him and he could come get me AND bring my inhaler whereas before I only had the option to take my inhaler and could be waiting 20 minutes for him to come find me.

Can't wait to get out again!

Did W5D2 at around 8:30.
    I found the end of the second 8 minute run tough and had possibly pushed myself as far as I could ( I dont actually know if I did or not, I guess I will find out on Sunday), and just then the bell rang for the end of it. I was glad to hear it, I must admit.
    Dont feel sore or anything after it however and recovered really quickly after it as well.
    Onto the 20 minute run on Sunday, after tomorrows exam and some surfing on Sunday morning.

I hope in a few weeks/months time we can use this thread to look back on when we were getting tired at the end of an 8 minute run (or whatever point we want) and see just how far we've come.

Kippy

Just back from W1D3, and it (or possibly the rain, I'm not sure which) very nearly defeated me. I wasn't feeling very motivated to do it this morning and when evening came and it was still raining I thought 'Feck it' and dragged out the rain bottoms. Managed to do all the jogs although one or two were tough going. I did notice that I was faster than the last two nights though which is good. I felt wrecked for days after day 1, and fine after day 2, but I can see stiffness and tiredness in my tomorrow :( I'm not sure yet how I feel about moving right on to W2. I may repeat W1 again. Or maybe try W2D1 and see how I get on, and if it doesn't work, go back to W1 again if needs be.
    Very thankful for rain bottoms (and sports bras :D). Without them I most definitely would not have gone out tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Hi all
    Well got out this afternoon and did wk6d1 found it ok got through the lot of the first 5 and then the 8 minute run but had to stop about 10-15 seconds before the end of the last run as i had a massive stitch and couldnt breath properly:eek: really wish there was something i could do to prevent them as they seem to be the only thing that really gets in the way as i can managed to run through my tired legs and my breathing has sorted itself out too:(

I was quite impressed that i got through it today especially after the 20 min run on wednesday night. ive decided to keep going with the programme and if i cant do the long runs in full ill just continue with the next week. the way ive decided to look at it is if i can run 15-mins this week its 15 min more than i could run 5 weeks ago and by continuing on and building my fitness that time will only get longer. dont know it that makes sense to people but it does to me anyway!:o

anyway best of luck to everyone again this week keep it up!

Hi all
    Well got out this afternoon and did wk6d1 found it ok got through the lot of the first 5 and then the 8 minute run but had to stop about 10-15 seconds before the end of the last run as i had a massive stitch and couldnt breath properly really wish there was something i could do to prevent them as they seem to be the only thing that really gets in the way as i can managed to run through my tired legs and my breathing has sorted itself out too

Do you usually do you runs in the afternoon/evening? How big a gap do you usually leave between eating and running? I'd say drink plenty of water during the day and leave at least an hour or two after eating. I always go first thing in the morning before breakfast! Well done for getting this far though, once your fitness levels improve you'll probably get less stitches! (Though I could be wrong too-maybe ask Rainbow Kirby or one of the other peeps in the Athletics/Running or Fitness forums) xx

• Advertisement

Greetings from Letterkenny! :D (Have exam in Coleraine tomorrow so travelled 3/4 of the way yesterday to break up the journey!)
    Did W9D3 this morning plus a little bit more (about 3 or 4 mins) not sure if I reached the full 5K but will check mapmyrun in a minute. Finished off my run with a lap of the town's running track that happened to be on my route (for dramatic effect-had to mark my last run of C25K!). :D:D Who would have thought that unfit lil ol me would be able to jog for 33-34 mins straight without dying :eek::D Definitely not me anyway!
    If anyone reading this is thinking about starting the program I would definitely 100% recommend it, from 30 second jogs on the first day to 30 mins on the last it really is the best thing I have done in a long time!
    Thank you to everyone on this thread, the support has been amazing (especially for the encouragement when I threw a bit of a wobbler on the night before the first 20min run :D)
    Best of luck to everyone still doing the program, kippy enjoy your 20 min run today, try not to worry too much about it like I did!
    Roll on the 10K Hal Hingdon program next week (2.5 mile jog the first day-no problem at all Hal :D;))

Graduation from C25K 16/5/10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Well done BN!!!! You're my inspiration! :D

Well done BN!!!! You're my inspiration! :D

Wow, thank you SP! Thats crazy, amazing and unbelievable all at the same time :o:) Who would have thunk that I'd be a source of inspiration to anyone! This running malarky really has changed my life!
    Edit: Maybe thats a bit dramatic, its definitely changed my outlook on life/attitude to obstacles etc Quoting one of the addidas marathon tshirts: Impossible is nothing!
    I never thought I would be a jogger but now I am, so what other fears/obstacles can I overcome or what challenges can I set myself? (Will make a list when this annoying exam is over tomorrow)

How are you feeling today? You're fab for getting out even when you're sick, though don't overdo it either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Wow, thank you SP! Thats crazy, amazing and unbelievable all at the same time :o:) Who would have thunk that I'd be a source of inspiration to anyone! This running malarky really has changed my life (it sounds dramatic but its true!)
    How are you feeling today? You're fab for getting out even when you're sick, though don't overdo it either!

Thanks! I feel ok today, still a bit sinus-headachey. When I get sinusitis I have it for weeks and weeks but never gets really bad, just constant headaches and sniffles, so it's hard to know whether I should push myself or have a rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

[/slinks back into thread, dragging an extra stone behind her]

Oh hi there guys... remember me?

Melia wrote: »
    [/slinks back into thread, dragging an extra stone behind her]

Oh hi there guys... remember me?

Melia who? Haha only joking, welcome back hun, we miiiissed u! Don't mind the extra weight it'll be gone in a jiffy once you get back to the running. Well done for getting out today, the first day is always the hardest! We'll be running races together in no time :D xx

thanks for that brainy never thought to ask over in the fitness forum ill pop over in a bit. i run on a monday and wednesday evening bout half 6 7ish before dinner and then on a saturday morning/early afternoon after only a light breakfast and usually leave about hour and a half two hours after i eat. only other thing you suggested could be the water i doubt im drinking nearly enough throughout the day,bout a litre is really good going for me!

comgrats on finishing the programme fair play to you!

well done melia for coming back takes guts to come back after a break, once you get back into it you'll be flying in no time;)

thanks for that brainy never thought to ask over in the fitness forum ill pop over in a bit. i run on a monday and wednesday evening bout half 6 7ish before dinner and then on a saturday morning/early afternoon after only a light breakfast and usually leave about hour and a half two hours after i eat. only other thing you suggested could be the water i doubt im drinking nearly enough throughout the day,bout a litre is really good going for me!

comgrats on finishing the programme fair play to you!

well done melia for coming back takes guts to come back after a break, once you get back into it you'll be flying in no time;)

No problem at all :D Try and get your water up to about 2L if you can, especially the day before you run. The day you run, make sure you a glass or two before you go. If you're running in the evening, keep a bottle with you during the day, it makes it easier to keep track of how much you're drinking! Try going for your sat morning runs before breakfast and see how you feel? xx

thanks for that will give it a try this week and see how it goes! just been over in the athletics/running/triathalon forum some good advice there too for stitches and the solution seems to be drink more and try to control the breathing. hopefully ill sort it out day 2 of week6 tomorrow evening so ill try out all the suggestion then!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

BN I'm thrilled for you! You're my inspiration also!! AMAZING! It's just such a good programme! I'm heading out for my 25 min run of week 6 in half an hour! Fingers crossed it will go well! I did 23 minutes for day 2 (Just wanted to push myself!) And I was ok!

Advertisement