Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

BN I'm thrilled for you! You're my inspiration also!! AMAZING! It's just such a good programme! I'm heading out for my 25 min run of week 6 in half an hour! Fingers crossed it will go well! I did 23 minutes for day 2 (Just wanted to push myself!) And I was ok!

Yikes! Thank you :o:o
    Best of luck for your run, hope the sun comes out! (its a sunny/rainy/sunny day here at the mo) Have fun! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Well done brainyneuron! It must feel amazing to be finished. I can't wait to be running 5K!

I did W2D2 this morning. I felt terrible before, during and after it! During my 5 minute warm up I noticed I felt really heavy and sluggish and I still feel like that now. I have no energy and I feel like I'm dragging my body around. After my first 2 runs I felt really nauseated and out of breath so I decided I was going to give up and go home as I could try again this evening. Well, next thing I knew I was jogging again and before I knew it I'd done all 6 intervals!

The first 3 or 4 were the hardest but the last two were much easier. Still can't believe I didn't quit when it got tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

ergonomics wrote: »
    The first 3 or 4 were the hardest but the last two were much easier. Still can't believe I didn't quit when it got tough!

That's what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!

DID MY 25 MINS!!!! Can't believe it!! WHOOP!!!

Woohoo congrats to both of you!!!! 'When the going gets tough the tough get going!' :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Was going to do the W5D3 run this evening but am really tired today (out last night pints+late night+ a few early mornings this week+running every 2 days for the past few weeks) so am putting it off till tomorrow evening, will be in better form and it pulls my schedule back into line as Monday/Wednesday/Friday or Saturday suits me better.
    Well done to all who've progressed over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

That's what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!

DID MY 25 MINS!!!! Can't believe it!! WHOOP!!!
    Well done!! Eek I'm scared!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Congrats Brainy! You've been wonderful the whole way through. Always positive and motivating everyone else to keep going. Enjoy your 2 mile run! :)

Great to see you back Melia! Hope you'll be enjoying it all again soon

Well done everyone else for pushing on...

God I really needed this thread this evening to remind me that it will be worth it when I head out! Was making excuses in my head not to :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Finished week 4 finally! :D:D:D Started last Saturday - was a week behind and then I didn't do it all week so had to do it yesterday & today to finish. Really gotta try to squish 4-5 runs in a week to catch up. That mini marathon is so soon & I'm really slack about it. :( Really wanna be able to run at least 5k of it & walk the rest. Although my boxing coach reckons I'll be able to run the 10k. He has such faith in me - have no idea what it's based on! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FreeHugs

Finished week 5 today :)
    I think you're officially considered a runner when you swollow your first fly

euch...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

Congrats on starting it! Thats great that you have your bf as support this time! Make sure you don't worry about week 2 too much as if you think you won't be able to do it you probably won't! Remember: PMA at all times (Positive Mental Attitude!) and you'll fly through the weeks no problem :D Best of luck with the next run xx
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Week 2 is hard alright but do it a 2nd time if you have to
    I'm on w3d2 tomorrow, never thought I'd even get this far. W1D1 i literally did about half it then couldn't cope anymore and went to lie on my bed panting and dying for about 10 min :eek: now by the time I get home I'm ok again!! you'll get there :D
    terlywerly wrote: »
    Hey, good luck with it! I'm doing W1D3 either tonight or tomorrow morning depending on how the day goes. It took me a very long time to get motivated to doing it, and I found the first day so so hard, but W1D2 was ok enough and I actually started to enjoy it a bit. I never thought I was so unfit until I started.
    You're lucky that your bf is doing it with you, my OH said he'd start, did the first day and never kept going :( Maybe when he sees how well I get on he'll change his mind :)

Aw, thanks guys. It's great to have so much support! Did W1D3 last night, it was grand but pretty muddy as it rained quite a bit here yesterday. I'm in Sydney and it's coming into winter here, so I've done all my runs so far in the dark, will have to try and get out at least one weekend afternoon this weekend. Onwards to week 2!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

chickenpoo wrote: »
    Aw, thanks guys. It's great to have so much support!
    Definitely! And I think posting on here helps too, even if its just to say 'Look, I did it!'. And its great to see how far other people have come, really gives you the confidence to think that you can do it too.
    chickenpoo wrote: »
    Onwards to week 2!
    I'm starting week 2 today as well chickenpoo, we can be C25K buddies :D I'm hoping to do W2D1 tonight, I have discovered I can manage it a lot better at night. Hopefully it'll go ok.
    And I've managed to get the OH to start eating more sensibly (must be my good example ;)). I lost another 3lb in the last week so very happy, and a lot more energy!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

FreeHugs wrote: »

euch...
    I got one right in the eye last night :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

euch...

Happened me last week, they're everywhere! Yuck.

Starting Week 5 today. Can't believe I'm halfway there. Bit scared of the 20 minute run ahead of me at some stage, but will focus on getting through days 1 and 3 first!

W5D3 done (Albeit a day later than I had planned due to tiredness yesterday)
    I can't believe I did that to be honest and I wasnt too bad during or after it. I found the 2*8 minutes the previous day tougher for some reason.
    Thats a real boost for me, 20 minutes running is crazy.
    Did 5K in my run/walk c25k session and walked another 5K with a friend after it.
    W6D1 wednesday all going well.

euch...
    kippy wrote: »
    W5D3 done (Albeit a day later than I had planned due to tiredness yesterday)
    I can't believe I did that to be honest and I wasnt too bad during or after it. I found the 2*8 minutes the previous day tougher for some reason.
    Thats a real boost for me, 20 minutes running is crazy.
    Did 5K in my run/walk c25k session and walked another 5K with a friend after it.
    W6D1 wednesday all going well.

Congrats both of you on doing the 20min run, it really is a fantastic achievement, well done! *proud* :D Best of luck for week 6 xx

'There was an old lady who swallowed a fly....' :D

Well just back from W2D1, and I did find it hard, but I think I'm making it harder than it actually is! Where I live is very hilly so no matter what way I go, I have to climb a big hill on the way home and its defeating me!! Managed all the jogs until the 2nd last jog which was bang in the centre of the steepest part of the climb, and I did about half of the last jog. Hopefully I'll do better the next time. I wish I had somewhere nearby that was a bit flatter to do this on, and I don't have a car so I can't drive to somewhere better :(

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Hi all,

well i did w6d2 last night and really enjoyed the first 10 min run regardless of the numerous swallowed flies!!eugh!! they seem to be everywhere at the moment:eek: for some reason last night everything just fell into place during the first run no stiches,breathing was fine not too tired.i was quite surprised when the first 10m mins were over and i stopped.

BUT then when the walk was over i just could not get back into a decent stride at all, kept running but it just wasnt comfortable at all:mad: then i got a stitch i was raging:mad::mad: i managed to keep going and didnt stop but didnt enjoy it all!!!

anyway i think i just need to keep running at this stage as when i was out doing the 20 min run on week5 i stopped after the first 10 mins and again i couldnt get back into it! so with that in mind im just going for it tomorro evening and with a bit of luck ill get through it all!!

fair play to all of you this week your all flying!!

Hi all,

well i did w6d2 last night and really enjoyed the first 10 min run regardless of the numerous swallowed flies!!eugh!! they seem to be everywhere at the moment:eek: for some reason last night everything just fell into place during the first run no stiches,breathing was fine not too tired.i was quite surprised when the first 10m mins were over and i stopped.

BUT then when the walk was over i just could not get back into a decent stride at all, kept running but it just wasnt comfortable at all:mad: then i got a stitch i was raging:mad::mad: i managed to keep going and didnt stop but didnt enjoy it all!!!

anyway i think i just need to keep running at this stage as when i was out doing the 20 min run on week5 i stopped after the first 10 mins and again i couldnt get back into it! so with that in mind im just going for it tomorro evening and with a bit of luck ill get through it all!!

I think the same thing happened to me in week 6, up till week 5 I enjoyed the intervals but after the 20 min run in week 5 the intervals in week 6 were a bit akward. You don't have any of them left though, your next seesion W6D3 is all running and the last few weeks are the same (no intervals). Don't worry about not enjoying it, you won't have a great run every time, what matters is that you kept going and was able to finish it. Hope you have a better (non fly ingesting!) run the next time xx

And to you as well! While this thread is great for getting motivated and excited about Couch To 5K, it can also be a bit intimidating reading about the longer runs coming up in a few weeks :eek: especially saying as I find it hard enough as I am!! But saying that, without the programme (and all you guys doing so well too to spur me on!) I'd never have gotten up off my bum and started. If you'd even said to me a month ago that I'd willingly get up and go out the door to jog (albeit slowly enough) I'd have laughed at you. But I'm doing it!! :D

And to you as well! While this thread is great for getting motivated and excited about Couch To 5K, it can also be a bit intimidating reading about the longer runs coming up in a few weeks :eek: especially saying as I find it hard enough as I am!! But saying that, without the programme (and all you guys doing so well too to spur me on!) I'd never have gotten up off my bum and started. If you'd even said to me a month ago that I'd willingly get up and go out the door to jog (albeit slowly enough) I'd have laughed at you. But I'm doing it!! :D

One day at a time terlywerly, you'll get there eventually too! :D xx

• Advertisement

One day at a time terlywerly, you'll get there eventually too! :D xx
    I really hope so! I need to find somewhere not too far away from my house that has less steep hills, they're killing me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Great going so far Terlywerly!

Why dont you avoid running the hills for the moment if you're finding them tough and just walk the hill at the end of your session? Hills take about 10 times more steam out of me!

Itsallaboutme! I found Week 6 very hard and then got my mojo back on Week 7! Keep it going. You've come really far!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

keep it going you will get there in the end! i was exactly the same dreading the longer runs but now i just get out,do it and try not to stress about it! ive got the 25min later today and even though i woke today with a bit of a stuffy head (head cold on the way methinks:() im looking forward to getting out and having a go!believe me if i can get this far anyone can;)

dolliemix wrote: »
    Great going so far Terlywerly!

Why dont you avoid running the hills for the moment if you're finding them tough and just walk the hill at the end of your session? Hills take about 10 times more steam out of me!
    I'm gonna try the route I've been jogging in reverse tomorrow for W2D2, just to see if its any easier, maybe that'll help. I know I'll have to tackle the hills eventually though :eek:
    keep it going you will get there in the end! i was exactly the same dreading the longer runs but now i just get out,do it and try not to stress about it! ive got the 25min later today and even though i woke today with a bit of a stuffy head (head cold on the way methinks:() im looking forward to getting out and having a go!believe me if i can get this far anyone can;)

That's how I feel too, I reckon if I could start this and not have given up by now, anyone can do it!! You're doing really well itsallaboutme!!, hopefully in a few weeks, I'll be where you are now.

Well done to everyone on here too for doing so well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭morningpeasant

Hello, all, I hope I'm not intruding; I was going to start a new thread to ask my questions, but I figured it would be more appropriate to post here as this is devoted to the 'Couch to Five K' program.

Basically, I am wondering if this program is suitable for complete fitness beginners? As a child I was never particularly interested in, nor was I encouraged to take part in, sports. I did the usual kicking a ball around with my friends, a little basket-ball, but in general was quite an unfit and overweight child. When I was sixteen I lost a lot of weight, actually a little too much, so also lost a lot of muscle. I did some walking etc., but most of this was achieved through diet. Now, I have been eating quite healthily for the last two years, and though I am still have a little bit to gain, I am physically stronger, but do not feel fit. I have been going for power-walks which last between 30mins and 1 hour most nights for the past 3 weeks/month, and also practice archery for two hours on a Sunday, but I am still very unfit.
    It is a dream of mine to be able to run, but I'm wondering if this program is suitable for somebody whose fitness level is basically zero?
    Sorry if this post is a little personal, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

I think it's aimed at people who are pretty unfit, you just build up your running times week by week and you can repeat days if you don't manage to get through them. I'd say go for it and see what you think! My fitness has improved incredibly :)

W6D1 done.
    This was a pretty strange one.
    Found the whole thing okay, I think the psychological barrier of doing the 20 minute run on Monday really helped.
    I must have "Pushed on" in the runs without knowing it. I had passed the 5K mark of my training area and I had only 33.16 on the track length, so I had 2 minutes to spare.
    Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing, I felt fine after, no ill effects.
    Anyway, out again for W6D2 on Friday evening all going well.

To anyone out there thinking of starting this programme, do it and do it now. It doesnt take that much time out of your life and take if from a completely overweight, unfit oaf like myself (16 odd stone) you can get through it. I personally thought the W5D3 was a massive milestone (what am I saying, there was a different milestone every week, but this was massive).
    I havent been perfect, I had to take more than a day between runs, life gets in the way but its defo something everyone can do. My asthma is now non existent, my fitness levels are seriously higher, I have more confidence, a goal and a way of reaching that goal and a new found "likeness" for the outdoors. You can take the actual pace as slow as you like. I've passed this programme onto at least 8 people in "the real world" and a number of them have just started it.
    Its ideal for someone with NO fitness level. Buy a decent pair of trainers as many will tell you and you'll do well with this.

My personal goals now are to finish the 5K pro gramme and get straight onto the 8 OR 10K one, not sure yet which one, with the intention of doing a 10K in November at the latest. (One which I have been to as a spectator on numerous occassions)
    I also realise that my weight is slowing me down and making it harder to run, on the flip side I know that as this weight begins to fall (which it will) my running will improve no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Basically, I am wondering if this program is suitable for complete fitness beginners?

When I started Couch to 5k about 2 years ago, my fitness level was somewhere around zero because I'd been working a sedentary job, played MMOs too much, and was about 5 stone overweight. I got through the program just fine, and lost quite a bit of weight. Your walking is a good base to start from, and you shouldn't have any problems with the program. Just make sure you have the right running shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭morningpeasant

Thanks for the quick replies, guys :)
    It's great to hear such a wealth of positive feedback, I feel much more assured now. I suppose it's scary for everybody at first, but there is just something about making that move from brisk walking to a more intense form of exercise that really frightens me, I feel like there is no way I'm even able to run for three minutes! Still, I guess I'll try my best, even if I don't go that fast at first.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the quick replies, guys :)
    It's great to hear such a wealth of positive feedback, I feel much more assured now. I suppose it's scary for everybody at first, but there is just something about making that move from brisk walking to a more intense form of exercise that really frightens me, I feel like there is no way I'm even able to run for three minutes! Still, I guess I'll try my best, even if I don't go that fast at first.

Hi,
    Seriously, I was the same a mere 6 weeks ago. Take the running sections at your own pace. If you feel you didnt do the session correctly, do it again.
    You will get there. Have a goal or an aim even if that is only to give the whole programme 10-12 weeks, which gives you time for live to get in the way or bigger breaks between the runs.
    That said keep motivated and try to do the sessions when you are meant to as much as possible. Keep posting your progress here - its a form of motivation in itself.
    Kippy

Advertisement