Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lilylarkin

Hi all,

Great thread. Im starting day 1 tomorrow. I weighed in at 17 stone today and at 5'4 at BMI of 41. God help but i have to do it. I got my new runners in Amphibian King today and have been collecting the gear from Lidl for last few months. No more excuses left........ i have to get out and finally do it. The thought of it is worse than actually going out and doing it. fingers crossed for me guys ill check back in and update how it went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Basically, I am wondering if this program is suitable for complete fitness beginners?....
    It is a dream of mine to be able to run, but I'm wondering if this program is suitable for somebody whose fitness level is basically zero?
    Sorry if this post is a little personal, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi morningpeasant and welcome!! I can tell you outright I am most definitely not a fitness fanatic lol :p and I started the programme after spending weeks talking myself into it, and I'm really really glad I did. My first jog was horrendous lol but it has gotten better, and I never imagined I'd be able to jog at all, and I'm doing it!
    I think it's aimed at people who are pretty unfit, you just build up your running times week by week and you can repeat days if you don't manage to get through them. I'd say go for it and see what you think! My fitness has improved incredibly :)
    So has mine, and I find I have a ton more energy, and am sleeping better too. If anything as well it'll help your water intake (well it did for me anyway!).
    kippy wrote: »
    To anyone out there thinking of starting this programme, do it and do it now.....
    Its ideal for someone with NO fitness level. Buy a decent pair of trainers as many will tell you and you'll do well with this.
    And if you're prone to blisters, good socks. Rainbow kirby recommended Hilly Twin Skin socks to me and they are fantastic, I was crippled with blisters after my first jog :(
    Thanks for the quick replies, guys :)
    It's great to hear such a wealth of positive feedback, I feel much more assured now. I suppose it's scary for everybody at first, but there is just something about making that move from brisk walking to a more intense form of exercise that really frightens me, I feel like there is no way I'm even able to run for three minutes! Still, I guess I'll try my best, even if I don't go that fast at first.
    You're getting out there doing it, and that's the important thing!! It really is a fantastic programme, I have my OH starting it now (hopefully he'll stick with it this time :rolleyes:) and he's been pretty positive too.
    Hi,
    Seriously, I was the same a mere 6 weeks ago. Take the running sections at your own pace. If you feel you didnt do the session correctly, do it again.
    You will get there. Have a goal or an aim even if that is only to give the whole programme 10-12 weeks, which gives you time for live to get in the way or bigger breaks between the runs.
    That said keep motivated and try to do the sessions when you are meant to as much as possible. Keep posting your progress here - its a form of motivation in itself.
    Kippy
    Hear Hear!! :)
    lilylarkin wrote: »
    Hi all,

Great thread. Im starting day 1 tomorrow. I weighed in at 17 stone today and at 5'4 at BMI of 41. God help but i have to do it. I got my new runners in Amphibian King today and have been collecting the gear from Lidl for last few months. No more excuses left........ i have to get out and finally do it. The thought of it is worse than actually going out and doing it. fingers crossed for me guys ill check back in and update how it went.
    Good luck lilylarkin!! Let us know how you get on. This thread is brilliant for moral support. Without it, I wouldn't have gone jogging yesterday, I would have just stayed on my fat bum! And yes, the thought of it is definitely worse, but once you're out there its not so bad, and I even found myself actually enjoying it at times. Me, enjoying jogging!! :D:D

I know this is a long post, but hopefully its just showing my enthusiasm for the programme and not my insane-ness :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Hi all!

well went out last night to do w6d3 the dreaded 25 min run!! well it didnt go too great :o i got about 8 mins in and got a massive stitch which had me literally doubled over in pain,had to stop for about 30 seconds and then it just went away!! i had the podcast paused and i continued on then and got to about 15 minutes and the stitch came back had to stop AGAIN but this time instead of stopping totally i kept up a good fast walking pace but the stitch just would not go away and i ended up finishing it out walking! I was raging as its only the stupid stitch that hinders me now, my breathing is fine now and im not tired anymore. it is kind of my own fault as i didnt drink much water at all yesterday which is what seemed to work for me the other day!

morningpeasant-I have to agree with everyone who has said already that this programme is great!! i am starting on week 7 this saturday and if anyone had said to me 7 weeks ago that i would be running more than 10 seconds i would have laughed in their face!! i would have definatley considered myself to be very unfit and this programme really works as it has a structure to it, run then day off, run day off etc. i feel like that if i miss a day im setting myself back. anyone thinking about starting stop thinking and get out there!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

i haven't posted in this thread in a while...
    I have lots of updates in case anyone would like to read them.
    I completed couch to 5k on Sunday, hurrah for me! :D
    I'm so chuffed to have finished it, can't believe how far I have come in 9 weeks...
    I have completed 4 out of the 6 runs of the 5k series, I even managed to break the 30 minute mark on the 3rd week, unbelievable...
    2 weeks ago I joined up to a Fit4Life group. i was getting bored running by myself so this is helping in a big way.

So a word of encouragement to everyone, if I can do it, every single one of ye can do it too. I never in my wildest dreams thought it would be possible to run a 5k under 30 minutes 9 weeks ago. I'm not saying that it is necessary to go so fast but running a complete 5k is very achievable.
    Best of luck to everyone, I know ye guys can do it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi all!

well went out last night to do w6d3 the dreaded 25 min run!! well it didnt go too great :o i got about 8 mins in and got a massive stitch which had me literally doubled over in pain,had to stop for about 30 seconds and then it just went away!! i had the podcast paused and i continued on then and got to about 15 minutes and the stitch came back had to stop AGAIN but this time instead of stopping totally i kept up a good fast walking pace but the stitch just would not go away and i ended up finishing it out walking! I was raging as its only the stupid stitch that hinders me now, my breathing is fine now and im not tired anymore. it is kind of my own fault as i didnt drink much water at all yesterday which is what seemed to work for me the other day!

morningpeasant-I have to agree with everyone who has said already that this programme is great!! i am starting on week 7 this saturday and if anyone had said to me 7 weeks ago that i would be running more than 10 seconds i would have laughed in their face!! i would have definatley considered myself to be very unfit and this programme really works as it has a structure to it, run then day off, run day off etc. i feel like that if i miss a day im setting myself back. anyone thinking about starting stop thinking and get out there!;)
    Personally, I have managed to avoid stiches so far but I have felt them comming on.
    I find that if I breathe extremely deeply (taking in a lot of air) I can keep them away.
    Also I try not to eat anything withing 3-4 hours of the session and ensure I've taken 2/3 pints of water in the few hours before the session.
    It hae worked for me so far in avoiding the stitch anyway. Breathing and taking in as much as you can is key I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

What a beautiful eve for a run... if only it were like this all the time!

I've been on a break for a couple of wks cos pulled a muscle so started on W5D1 and those 5 mins runs nearly killed me today. Find running a great time to think so decided I'm back on track and going to start posting here to make me keep at it...

2 hours later and my face has returned to its normal colour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

8 minute mile! Woop woop! Gonna do my first 20 min run tomorrow! :D

Well I'm just back from W2D2 which I did in reverse of the way I've gone the 4 runs previous and I have to say I found it better. It was great to have my first (and therefore least warm) jog down the hill that normally kills me for the last 2 jogs! Managed to do all the jogs except maybe the last 30 seconds of the last jog (impending stitch pain :mad:) but other than that it was good!!
    Personally, I have managed to avoid stiches so far but I have felt them comming on.
    Tonight was the first night I felt one coming on, and at the end of my last run grrr
    what2do wrote: »
    What a beautiful eve for a run... if only it were like this all the time!

I've been on a break for a couple of wks cos pulled a muscle so started on W5D1 and those 5 mins runs nearly killed me today. Find running a great time to think so decided I'm back on track and going to start posting here to make me keep at it...

2 hours later and my face has returned to its normal colour!!
    I put my run off till an hour ago thinking it'd be much cooler. I think if I had gone out any earlier I would have died!!!
    I don't think my face'll look back to normal till tomorrow. People who pass me as I jog probably think I'm gonna drop to the ground at any second :D
    8 minute mile! Woop woop! Gonna do my first 20 min run tomorrow! :D
    Woohoo cherub rock well done!!! Keep up the great work!!

Well tonight I swallowed not one but two flies :eek: and also met a fellow jogger (by fellow jogger I mean the well seasoned 'I-can-jog-in-a-flimsy-pair-of-shorts-and-vest-and-still-look-fantastic type' jogger). Here he was flying away down the road and there I was plodding along like I don't know what. But I thought, hey at least I'm not the guys in the houses watching soaps and reality TV ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

terlywerly wrote: »
    Definitely! And I think posting on here helps too, even if its just to say 'Look, I did it!'. And its great to see how far other people have come, really gives you the confidence to think that you can do it too.

I'm starting week 2 today as well chickenpoo, we can be C25K buddies :D I'm hoping to do W2D1 tonight, I have discovered I can manage it a lot better at night. Hopefully it'll go ok.
    And I've managed to get the OH to start eating more sensibly (must be my good example ;)). I lost another 3lb in the last week so very happy, and a lot more energy!

Cool, I'm a bit behind you this week, but hopefully should be finished my last run of week 2 on Sunday, so will have caught up :) And congrats on the weight loss!

I did W2D1 on Wednesday evening, the first 90 second run was grand and I remember thinking, "oh, this is easy!" It was a very different case by the end of the last run, but I managed to get through them all. Going to do W2D2 this evening when I get home from work and college, my legs are still killing me from Wednesday's run to be honest, so hopefully it won't be too sore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

So far this week I've done W5D1, and W5D2 x 2... going to wait til the weekend for the 20 min run...

Last night I managed both 8 minute runs without stopping, yay! And the last one was uphill (a gradually sloping uphill, but still...) the only problem with this weather is I was totally drenched in sweat afterwards, so I'm going to buy another pair of shorts tonight so I can rotate them while one pair is being washed/dried.

Last night was also the first time in years I've gone out wearing just a t shirt. Feel really silly admitting that but I'm sure some of you know where I'm coming from, I'm deeply embarrassed by my upper arms. It was grand, and it felt way more comfortable than my usual t shirt/long sleeve top combo. Really amazing how this program isn't just making me fit but it's boosting my confidence too. If someone had told me this time last year that I'd be outside running in shorts and a t shirt I'd have laughed!

• Advertisement

chickenpoo wrote: »
    Cool, I'm a bit behind you this week, but hopefully should be finished my last run of week 2 on Sunday, so will have caught up :) And congrats on the weight loss!

I did W2D1 on Wednesday evening, the first 90 second run was grand and I remember thinking, "oh, this is easy!" It was a very different case by the end of the last run, but I managed to get through them all. Going to do W2D2 this evening when I get home from work and college, my legs are still killing me from Wednesday's run to be honest, so hopefully it won't be too sore.
    I'm doing W2D3 tomorrow evening, hopefully it'll be ok. Nervous about week 3 and the longer runs again :eek: but I'm sure we'll all be fine!! Just keep going and we'll be flying!
    Gauge wrote: »
    Last night was also the first time in years I've gone out wearing just a t shirt. Feel really silly admitting that but I'm sure some of you know where I'm coming from, I'm deeply embarrassed by my upper arms. It was grand, and it felt way more comfortable than my usual t shirt/long sleeve top combo. Really amazing how this program isn't just making me fit but it's boosting my confidence too. If someone had told me this time last year that I'd be outside running in shorts and a t shirt I'd have laughed!
    I know, I feel really self conscious too, but am getting better. As I've said before, thank flip for sports bras or I wouldn't be out running at all! So even if I feel like an eejit at least I'm well supported lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

I did W6D2 on Wednesday and didn't finish it, my muscles were sore and tired literally 30 seconds into the run and just got worse. I repeated the day this evening and my muscles didn't hurt at all, even by the end. The only difference was that on Weds I went out before dinner and today I ate dinner and went out an hour later. Would this affect how my muscles feel? Is there anything else that would make a difference? :confused:

W6D2 done.......kinda.
    Got to the start of my run and the track wouldnt play. Disaster. The memory key on my phone is corrupt as none of the music would place.
    I had a kinda idea of the intervals I had to do so, W2,R8,W2,R8,W2,R6,W2 which isnt that far off what I should have done........... pretty hot this evening even at 7:30.
    Anyway, will key my memory stick sorted tomorrow and onto W6D3 on Sunday all going well.

I did W6D2 on Wednesday and didn't finish it, my muscles were sore and tired literally 30 seconds into the run and just got worse. I repeated the day this evening and my muscles didn't hurt at all, even by the end. The only difference was that on Weds I went out before dinner and today I ate dinner and went out an hour later. Would this affect how my muscles feel? Is there anything else that would make a difference? :confused:

I dont think that would effect your muscles. I think perhaps the longer break may have helped between runs, When did you do W6D1?
    Your muscles also had an extra couple of days to adapt which would also be a positive thing.
    Sometimes theres no harm in leaving 48 hours between sessions. I have done it on two occasions thus far where I have felt too tired to go out.

I dont think that would effect your muscles. I think perhaps the longer break may have helped between runs, When did you do W6D1?
    Your muscles also had an extra couple of days to adapt which would also be a positive thing.
    Sometimes theres no harm in leaving 48 hours between sessions. I have done it on two occasions thus far where I have felt too tired to go out.

Did W6D1 on Sunday, W6D2 on Wednesday then again today. I do two weekday evenings and one weekend morning each week so there would usually be a variation in the times between the runs.. it's irritating as I could easily have done the 25 min run today, but if I had tried on Weds I think my legs would have gone out from under me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Finished Week 2 just now!!! I always want to come straight in and post here after every day! I should have completed it on Tuesday but I kept putting it off and things kept coming up. I thought because of the long break I would need to do today and then an extra day of week 2 but today was much easier than day 1 of week 2 so I'm looking forward to going on to week 3. I also did 7 intervals instead of 6 today, just to see if I could. :D

I'm hoping to stick to the program between now and the Mini Marathon but if I walk the whole thing I'm fine with that too. Last year I walked it in 1 hour 43 minutes and at the moment I'm doing a 10k route in 1 hour 24 so I'm happy out with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

I was making great progress, should be starting week 4 tomorrow but I was sick for over a week so it's back to the beginning of week 2 for me. I'm going to be very sore on Tuesday :(

w6D3 done.
    A very warm but pleasant evening.
    Managed the 25 minutes without incident, felt a stitch coming on at one stage but again, got back into breathing deeper.
    Didnt actualy cover as much ground as W6D1 but I think that is purely down to slowing down the pace of the running to get it done.
    Am delighted to have gotten this far.
    W7D1 hopefully on Tuesday if I can fit it in, I have a hectic week ahead but should be able get the time here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

Finished week 2 last night, woohoo! Had to do it by myself because the boyfriend was busy cooking dinner, but it was fine. I think I actually was running faster by myself, he's better at pacing himself. Bit worried about the 3 minute runs in week 3, I know that sounds mental coz a lot of you are doing 20 minute runs, but still :)

Finished week 2 last night, woohoo! Had to do it by myself because the boyfriend was busy cooking dinner, but it was fine. I think I actually was running faster by myself, he's better at pacing himself. Bit worried about the 3 minute runs in week 3, I know that sounds mental coz a lot of you are doing 20 minute runs, but still :)

You'll be on the 20 minute runs soon don't worry! The 3 min ones freaked me out too.. in fact every week so far has freaked me out, but the previous week's runs really do prepare you!

• Advertisement

The one minute runs freaked me out and every multiple of it since!
    Dont worry about it, stick to the programme and you'll get through them and its easier than you think in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

once your doing the 3min runs you will wonder what you were freaked out over trust me! you'll be fine dont worry about it!

well i got through another 25 min run on saturday afternoon. well almost got through it all! i did run the longest without stopping i have done since i started was very pleased with how it went. i ran without stopping for about 20 mins and then was on and off for the last 5 mins through shear tiredness my legs were fit to fall off:rolleyes: have w7d2 tonight looking forward to it and hopefully ill make the ful 25 this time round!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Does anyone know of a podcast where you can add your own music (apart from the one listed on the first page Couch To 5K, by Iestyn Lloyd as comments in this said it's not in time at all) also I don't have an ipod

Does anyone know of a podcast where you can add your own music (apart from the one listed on the first page Couch To 5K, by Iestyn Lloyd as comments in this said it's not in time at all) also I don't have an ipod

I was looking for the same thing but haven't managed to find one yet, just ipod apps :(

ah ok, not to worry, I'll stick with carly so!!planning on starting again this week

ah ok, not to worry, I'll stick with carly so!!planning on starting again this week

I've been using the stuff here:
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html
    While its not my type of music I do find it motivational and easy enough to get around too + it doesnt take ages to put together your own mix as those BPM arent that common in most popular music.

Thanks Kippy might give that a go

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Right so...I dip into this section every so often and I can now say that I'm biting the bullet and starting this tonight. I'm in my trackies and the runners are primed, ready to go at the front door...:eek:

I'll be looking to this thread to keep me going. From what I can see, people are doing great on this programme, so fair play to everyone!

I'll keep posting here!

Loopie

W5D2 done! As I've seen posted on numerous times here the idea of going from 8 min runs to 20 is freaking me out but roll on Weds and I'll give it a go!!

After Weds I'll be on a bit of a break til next Mon cos I'm away but if I make the 20 mins I figure I deserve the break - which is what I will have to keep telling myself as I plod along!!!

• Advertisement

Loopie wrote: »
    Right so...I dip into this section every so often and I can now say that I'm biting the bullet and starting this tonight. I'm in my trackies and the runners are primed, ready to go at the front door...:eek:

I'll be looking to this thread to keep me going. From what I can see, people are doing great on this programme, so fair play to everyone!

I'll keep posting here!

Loopie

Best of Luck ... its a lovely evening for it!!

Advertisement