Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

what2do wrote: »
    W5D2 done! As I've seen posted on numerous times here the idea of going from 8 min runs to 20 is freaking me out but roll on Weds and I'll give it a go!!

After Weds I'll be on a bit of a break til next Mon cos I'm away but if I make the 20 mins I figure I deserve the break - which is what I will have to keep telling myself as I plod along!!!
    Yeah,
    It does appear to be a big jump all right.
    Having done it first hand I can tell you its achievable. Drink up about 2-3 hours before hand, no heavy meals within 3 hours, slow down the pace, just make sure you run for 20 minutes even if it is slow running and most of all breath. You'll get there and the best thing is the confidence boost you get will power you through W6D1 and D2 and before you know it you'll have a 25 minute run done as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

chickenpoo wrote: »
    Finished week 2 last night, woohoo! Had to do it by myself because the boyfriend was busy cooking dinner, but it was fine. I think I actually was running faster by myself, he's better at pacing himself. Bit worried about the 3 minute runs in week 3, I know that sounds mental coz a lot of you are doing 20 minute runs, but still :)
    Finished W2D3 there about 2 hours ago myself. Feel the same about week 3 but hopefully it'll go well. Planning on doing Wednesday, Friday, Sunday this week to be on track cos I didn't get out over the weekend as I was away, but I have to say it went well tonight, despite running bloated and crampy (TOTM, overshare I know lol). But I feel better for doing it.
    kippy wrote: »
    I've been using the stuff here:
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html
    While its not my type of music I do find it motivational and easy enough to get around too + it doesnt take ages to put together your own mix as those BPM arent that common in most popular music.
    I've been using that one too, I find it grand. I'm not mad into that type of music either, but it works!

Week 3 here I come! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

well i got out for wk7d2 last night and it went well im quite pleased with myself:) i managed to run about 23 mins in total didnt drink near enough water yesterday before it and ended up with a stitch about half way through,but managed to walk it off and picked up the pace again to finish it out!

I wont be able to get out now again till saturday which is usually when i would be starting the next week, so week 8, but ill be missing out on day3 of week 7. i dont know what week8 entails but does anyone have any ideas should i take on week 8 day1 and see how it goes or do week7 day3 first??

i dont know what week8 entails but does anyone have any ideas should i take on week 8 day1 and see how it goes or do week7 day3 first??
    From what I remember reading W7D3 is 2.5 miles or 25 mins and W8D1 is 2.75 miles or 28 mins!
    Here I am doing W3D1 tomorrow, and freaking out over a 3 min jog :D
    Good luck with whichever you tackle through!!!

terlywerly wrote: »
    From what I remember reading W7D3 is 2.5 miles or 25 mins and W8D1 is 2.75 miles or 28 mins!
    Here I am doing W3D1 tomorrow, and freaking out over a 3 min jog :D
    Good luck with whichever you tackle through!!!

We all freaked out over the 1-3-5-8-10-20 minute johs but go through them, so worry not about them.
    I will be running W7D1 in about an hours time and need to take on some more water, its really hot.

• Advertisement

We all freaked out over the 1-3-5-8-10-20 minute johs but go through them, so worry not about them.
    I will be running W7D1 in about an hours time and need to take on some more water, its really hot.
    It's good to know too that so many people have gotten through them as well. Makes me feel there may be a chance I can too :)
    It helps make it easier in the nice weather we've been having as well. I find going out around 9 p.m. or so it's still warm enough but not overwhelming.
    Good luck with W7D1, I was out walking earlier and I was sweating by the time I got back and I wasn't even going that fast :D

It's good to know too that so many people have gotten through them as well. Makes me feel there may be a chance I can too :)
    It helps make it easier in the nice weather we've been having as well. I find going out around 9 p.m. or so it's still warm enough but not overwhelming.
    Good luck with W7D1, I was out walking earlier and I was sweating by the time I got back and I wasn't even going that fast :D
    Did W7D1 at around 4:45.
    It was mega hot, I was looking out for any shade I could find.
    Managed to do the 25 minutes run thankfully and didnt find it too bad but it was defo the toughest run I've done yet purely because of the heat. I dont have much choice this week, its gonna be the same time Thursday. Still its good practice and I know how far I've come.
    I havent gotten rained on yet. In fairness, we've had a relatively savage (rain free) number of months, despite the cold at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Here's a sentence I never thought I'd write: I jogged 3 minutes without stopping. :D I know that's nothing compared to some of the posters above but it's a huge acheivement for me, especially since I didn't use my inhaler!!! When I started 60 seconds was terrifying and it was so hard. Now look at me!

So that's W3D1 done and dusted. Onwards and upwards! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Repeated W5 D3.. Couldn't make the 20 min run. Again. I just can't go from 8 min to 20min. It's too much. I think I've given myself a mental block about it now..

Last time I did 7 min up, a few sec break & 7 min back...

Today I could only get to 11 min before I got pains above my ankles on both sides of my shins. I completed another 5 min or so in dribs & drabs. Had to walk 8 min home instead of my usual 5 because I was so far away & couldn't run anymore. Had to shower off the stench of failure. :rolleyes:

I feel like I'll never get past week 5. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Cherub try not to worry to much about it, your body can do it its just your mind that thinks it can't! Its not a jump from 8 mins to 20 at all, have a look back at some of the week 4 runs and add up the running times, I think on one of the days that week you run 16 mins in total, so from 16 to 20 isn't that big a jump. Try and build yourself up to it, and take a walking break inbetween if you have to. You did two 7min runs the other day so try and get up to 9 or 10 min runs with a short walking break inbetween. Gradually reduce the time walking inbetween and you'll be running the whole 20mins before you know it!

Go out tomorrow or the next day you're running and try that. Think positively (PMA) and you can totally do it! Hugs petal, I know how you're feeling believe me!

• Advertisement

ergonomics wrote: »
    Here's a sentence I never thought I'd write: I jogged 3 minutes without stopping. :D I know that's nothing compared to some of the posters above but it's a huge acheivement for me, especially since I didn't use my inhaler!!! When I started 60 seconds was terrifying and it was so hard. Now look at me!

It IS a massive achievement ergo you should be v proud! :D Don't be comparing yourself to anyone! We're all at different stages but no-ones going to look down at you for being at an earlier stage. You're doing amazingly! Its fab too that you haven't had to use the inhaler! xx

well i got out for wk7d2 last night and it went well im quite pleased with myself:) i managed to run about 23 mins in total didnt drink near enough water yesterday before it and ended up with a stitch about half way through,but managed to walk it off and picked up the pace again to finish it out!

I wont be able to get out now again till saturday which is usually when i would be starting the next week, so week 8, but ill be missing out on day3 of week 7. i dont know what week8 entails but does anyone have any ideas should i take on week 8 day1 and see how it goes or do week7 day3 first??

Hey hun, congrats for getting this far! Try and get up to the 25 min run (W7D3) before you try the 28 min run in week 8. Going from 23 mins to 28 mins is a bit too big a jump i think! You might be able to do it fine but I think its prob safer to stick to the program and then start week 8 on monday maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

W5D3 done! Didn't get it done over the weekend (Beer gardens won me over, ugh). I did W5D2 again yesterday and decided tonight to just go for it tonight. I can't believe I jogged for 20 minutes without stopping, a few weeks ago I was barely able for the 3 minute runs.

Yay! I'm so happy :D

Gauge wrote: »
    W5D3 done! Didn't get it done over the weekend (Beer gardens won me over, ugh). I did W5D2 again yesterday and decided tonight to just go for it tonight. I can't believe I jogged for 20 minutes without stopping, a few weeks ago I was barely able for the 3 minute runs.

Yay! I'm so happy :D

Wayhay well done gauge!! :D Thats fantastic!

Well done ergonomics!! I'm hoping to do W3D1 tomorrow evening, glad you did the 3 min run (I'm a bit nervous about it :eek:).
    Don't be comparing yourself to anyone! We're all at different stages but no-ones going to look down at you for being at an earlier stage.
    Just imagine, in a few weeks time we'll be the ones encouraging the new recruits and telling them how we found the programme up as far as our 20 minute jogs :D We have it all ahead of us, and WE CAN DO IT!!!! :D:D

(I get very hyped up, until the moment I'm about to walk out the door to do my jog. Then I think 'Nooooooo! It's too hard!' It's easy to be excited and optimistic when its all ahead of you, and you aren't plodding along a road swallowing flies lol. But I've always gone, every time. And I have never come back feeling bad, I've always felt great.)
    Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Well done ergonomics!! I'm hoping to do W3D1 tomorrow evening, glad you did the 3 min run (I'm a bit nervous about it :eek:).

Just imagine, in a few weeks time we'll be the ones encouraging the new recruits and telling them how we found the programme up as far as our 20 minute jogs :D We have it all ahead of us, and WE CAN DO IT!!!! :D:D

(I get very hyped up, until the moment I'm about to walk out the door to do my jog. Then I think 'Nooooooo! It's too hard!' It's easy to be excited and optimistic when its all ahead of you, and you aren't plodding along a road swallowing flies lol. But I've always gone, every time. And I have never come back feeling bad, I've always felt great.)
    Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment :rolleyes:

My sister is mad into her running and recently did a half marathon. She told me that you need to be in the right frame of mind for jogging or running. If you go out thinking it's impossible or you won't be able to do it, then you probably won't! I'm not lecturing now but I did notice a HUGE difference in runs from when I went out thinking it would be too hard and from when I went out thinking that I'd be able to do the run no problem! Just something to think about...

My sister is mad into her running and recently did a half marathon. She told me that you need to be in the right frame of mind for jogging or running. If you go out thinking it's impossible or you won't be able to do it, then you probably won't! I'm not lecturing now but I did notice a HUGE difference in runs from when I went out thinking it would be too hard and from when I went out thinking that I'd be able to do the run no problem! Just something to think about...
    You're totally right, attitude is a big factor in whether or not you can do it. I can find it hard at times as my first instinct is pessimism. I think that's why it took me so long to start at all, I kept thinking I wouldn't be able. But now that I've seen that I've done it 6 times already and its been fine, I do feel better about my prospects for week 3. Gonna do W3D1 tonight, was gonna do it this afternoon but I have a lot of baking to do for a family function tomorrow, so I think I'll wait till tonight when its cooler and I know all the stuff for tomorrow is done. That way I can jog without stressing over things not being ready.
    And at the end of the day, if I could jog for 60 seconds, and then 90 seconds, surely I can jog for 3 minutes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Just back from my 5th run of week 3. I had tried week 4 last week but i just wasnt able for it at the time so I went back and repeated week 3. I managed it fine this week and feel amazing afterwards so I'm all set to move onto week 4 now.

I still cant imagine being able to fun for 5k, but I think this programme is excellent and I will get there in the not too distant future!

Well done to everyone for the amazing achievements- Its great to hear such positive stories from everyone! Cant wait to fun my first 5k run!

I'm starting to hate this stupid 5k program. I'll never be able to run for 20 min. Mini Marathon is in less than 2 weeks and I'm nowhere near ready. Just starting to really hate running because it makes me feel useless and stressed. /rant

Sorry. :o

I'm starting to hate this stupid 5k program. I'll never be able to run for 20 min. Mini Marathon is in less than 2 weeks and I'm nowhere near ready. Just starting to really hate running because it makes me feel useless and stressed. /rant

What runs/weeks are you on? Have you had any injurys, been doing anything else outside of the runs? Perhaps you are trying to run the intervals TOO fast - which is a problem for many..........

If the mini Marathon is a target you cant meet then dont kill yourself trying to meet it.
    My targets are way out in September/October/November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*hugs*

Please don't let it stress you out. It's supposed to be something enjoyable, not a source of stress. If there's anyone on this thread who's near you, maybe meet up for a run and try and do the 20 minutes that way, or maybe try and go somewhere different? Having some company can make it go by more quickly.

Cherub, want to go for a run on Saturday morning? I'll bring my running gear to Dublin that morning and then we can go meet the others in town afterwards (after having showers of course! :p) Don't get disheartened hun, you'll get there in the end! Hugs xx

Awh, you're so nice. Thanks. I've been on week 5 for a week & half. The 8 min runs were grand (Fun too - even ran one night in the rain). I'm taking my time though, I did week 4 for about week & half too. I'm doing boxing twice a week and can skip for 3 min so I should be well able for this.

I keep getting tight bruise like pains (about size of €2 coin) about an inch above my ankles on both sides of my legs. Anyone know what this is?! I know the one on inner left leg is from an injury I got sprinting waaaay back in January. Never healed...

I think maybe I was upset from not being able to do it yesterday and like someone posted you need to be positive. Plus my headphones are broken so had no music & also I was running in short shorts so kinda self concious. Lots of factors and I just wanted to give up and go home. Wasn't enjoying it. Not gonna try again til Saturday - I have boxing on Friday.

BN, that sounds like a good idea. I usually run the docklands quay but it's not long enough anymore. Might go out to Fairview park. It's only 20 min walk from Connolly Station.

Awh, you're so nice. Thanks. I've been on week 5 for a week & half. The 8 in runs were grand. I'm taking my time though, I did week 4 for about week & half too. I'm doing boxing twice a week and can skip for 3 min so I should be well able for this.

I keep getting tight bruise like pains (about size of €2 coin) about an inch above my ankles on both sides of my legs. Anyone know what this is?! I know the one on inner left leg is from an injury I got sprinting waaaay back in January. Never healed...

I think maybe I was upset from not being able to do it yesterday and like someone posted you need to be positive. Plus my headphones are broken so had no music & also I was running in short shorts so kinda self concious. Lots of factors and I just wanted to give up and go home. Wasn't enjoying it. Not gonna try again til Saturday - I have boxing on Friday.

BN, that sounds like a good idea. I usually run the docklands quay but it's not long enough anymore. Might go out to Fairview park. It's only 20 min walk from Connolly Station.
    Hi,
    What shoes/socks are you wearing? These can have a big impact (literally) on whether you pick up injuries that you seem to have picked up. Even "good" runners may not suit as they may not be suited to the gait with which you run.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gait_analysis

I know what its like without music to guide you so you can write off that session. If each week is taking longer than you expect it to, never mind, just get there.

Cool, will need it after the drive to Dublin and the mucho eating we'll probably be doing! K I know Connolly, maybe we could meet up there? (Will PM you my mobile no in a sec) Will check the AA website to see where Fairview Park is!
    Only problem is shower afterwards, is there a pool/leisure centre somewhere in the city?? I could prob head over to my aunts house anyway sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Only problem is shower afterwards, is there a pool/leisure centre somewhere in the city?? I could prob head over to my aunts house anyway sure!

Markievicz Leisure Centre is in Townsend Street.

So, myself and Cherub are going to go for a run (20 mins) on Saturday morning, would any other C25K-ers like to join us? (might be fun!) And the more people there to encourage her the better! :D:D

First off BIG HUGS to cherub rock xx I know how horrible it is to be in a rut with things (see last couple of my posts on this thread). ergonomics gave me a good kick up the bum though (thank you by the way :D). I was all set to do W3D1 at about 9 o' clock this evening, changed into my jogging gear and the iPod at the ready, looked out the window, and lashing rain :mad: so I thought 'Well feck that, I won't be able to go'. I sat down for a few minutes, and then I thought to myself 'Maybe it'll clear up in a few minutes'. Ten o' clock arrives and the rain is gone and out I went thinking PMA PMA PMA :)and what happens... Not only do I avoid the rain the whole time I'm out, I managed to do all the jogs!! And an extra 30 or so seconds at the end! I have stunned myself more than I ever thought possible.
    I have jogged for 3 minutes (twice!) and I have not died!!
    Could it be that I actually enjoyed myself tonight??? ;)

Hi,
    What shoes/socks are you wearing? These can have a big impact (literally) on whether you pick up injuries that you seem to have picked up. Even "good" runners may not suit as they may not be suited to the gait with which you run.
    [url][/url]

I got those Asics Kayanos and some reebok running socks... I looked up the cool runnings site and they seem to think it's shin splints. Are specially tailored shoes expensive? Anywhere in city centre do them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

Did W3D1 on Tuesday night, went out about 45 minutes after dinner which was a huge mistake. My tummy was feeling very full and bloated the whole time, and then I got a massive stitch during the second 3 minute run. I had to stop after 2 minutes, then finished the last minute after about 45 seconds break... Am planning on doing W3D2 tonight, and hopefully will be able to do it without stopping, I'll know not to eat so close to going out again :)

Advertisement