Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Woo Hoo W5D3 done - 20 min run! Was a tough slog but I just kept hearing the updates for Days 1 and 2 and knew I was getting closer ;-)

As I was running/plodding along I was thinking I only get to post this if I finish so here I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

I got those Asics Kayanos and some reebok running socks... I looked up the cool runnings site and they seem to think it's shin splints. Are specially tailored shoes expensive? Anywhere in city centre do them?

Gait analysis is done in Arnotts and Elverys for free ... they will then recomend a particular pair of runners that suit your gait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

chickenpoo wrote: »
    Did W3D1 on Tuesday night, went out about 45 minutes after dinner which was a huge mistake. My tummy was feeling very full and bloated the whole time, and then I got a massive stitch during the second 3 minute run. I had to stop after 2 minutes, then finished the last minute after about 45 seconds break... Am planning on doing W3D2 tonight, and hopefully will be able to do it without stopping, I'll know not to eat so close to going out again :)

Yep, either eat before food or wait 2 hours after eating! Best of luck tonight, what were u doing up so early/late this morning/yesterday? :D
    what2do wrote: »
    Woo Hoo W5D3 done - 20 min run! Was a tough slog but I just kept hearing the updates for Days 1 and 2 and knew I was getting closer ;-)

As I was running/plodding along I was thinking I only get to post this if I finish so here I am!

Fantastic What2do!! Great work! :) Its great to know that you can do the 20 mins, the next few weeks will be a breeze from now on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Did W3D1 on Tuesday night, went out about 45 minutes after dinner which was a huge mistake. My tummy was feeling very full and bloated the whole time, and then I got a massive stitch during the second 3 minute run. I had to stop after 2 minutes, then finished the last minute after about 45 seconds break... Am planning on doing W3D2 tonight, and hopefully will be able to do it without stopping, I'll know not to eat so close to going out again :)
    Good luck with W3D2 tonight, I'm doing it tomorrow night, will be away for most of today at family gathering. I was expecting the 3 minute runs to be nearly impossible but I got through them (still stunned at this lol). I just kept telling myself it'd be fine and I'd be able for it, and I was.
    I nearly had a bad stitch one of the days last week and it really annoyed me having to stop :mad: I usually give it about 2 hours + before I go out in the evenings, and make sure I've had plenty of water during the day.
    Good luck with tonight though!

And well done what2do on your 20 min run, you're flying!! xx
    (That'll be me in 2 weeks time :eek: haha)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Fingers crossed the rain stays away so I can start W7 this evening! Maybe the forecast is wrong..? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Thank you sooooo much for the donations. Absolutely wonderful generosity! X :D

Yes yes yes, just did Week 7 Day 1, 25 minute run! It was tough but not horrific. When she said 5 minutes to go I nearly cried with joy, and when she said 1 minute left I think I run-danced the rest. Yaaay so happy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Ill be doing week 6 day 3 over the weekend and up till now have been using my own music, feeling bit demotivated though at the mo and was wondering do people find the podcasts better and more motivating - Im getting the little voice in my head saying "you cant do this, you cant do this". I try and switch off but finding it very hard.

Redpunto wrote: »
    Ill be doing week 6 day 3 over the weekend and up till now have been using my own music, feeling bit demotivated though at the mo and was wondering do people find the podcasts better and more motivating - Im getting the little voice in my head saying "you cant do this, you cant do this". I try and switch off but finding it very hard.

I like them as the one I listen to has a lovely American lady telling you how much time is left and that you can do it.. but on the other hand her taste in music is awful! How are you doing it with your own music? Just making a 25 min playlist?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

W7D2 done (around 5:45 this evening)
    Was tight for time and just about fitted it in around a few things I had on today.
    It was grand to be honest, not as warm as the previous day. Didnt cover as much ground as I had hoped but its not about that yet.

I also found out about a 5k that is on in about 2-3 weeks not too far from me which times really well with my ending of C35K and also suits me so I may enter that.
    Was also told about an 8K in a few more weeks time which MAY fit in with the programme I will be in at the time so have a few targets which are a bit sooner than I had planned initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You should be fine for both the 5k and the 8k when they happen (guessing you're contemplating the Streets of Galway 8k in August?). Having a few targets like that will help you with post-Couch to 5k motivation. :)

Hey kippy, was thinking of doing the 5K in Lucan (Dublin) on the 13th June, is there another race in Galway? We could do it together maybe? :D

Ooh Kippy is it the 5K in salthill on the 8th June? http://www.runireland.com/events/salthill-5km-road-race
    I actually thought that was one of the 5K Race series races cos it was on a Tues night but apparently not! Might have rehearsals that night so not sure if I can do it :(

Hi,
    Yep, the streets of Galway 8k.
    This is the Monivea one:
    http://www.athenryac.com/monivea-5km
    The salthill 5K doesnt suit me sadly.
    Kippy

EDIT: Oh yea, am doing this on Sunday http://www.athenryac.com/ballindine-4-mile-road-race-guess-your-own-time
    Purely for the craic as its above my max run distance at the moment. I will be running-walking it and have absolutely no idea of the time I will do it in.

kippy wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yep, the streets of Galway 8k.
    This is the Monivea one:
    http://www.athenryac.com/monivea-5km
    The salthill 5K doesnt suit me sadly.
    Kippy

EDIT: Oh yea, am doing this on Sunday http://www.athenryac.com/ballindine-4-mile-road-race-guess-your-own-time
    Purely for the craic as its above my max run distance at the moment. I will be running-walking it and have absolutely no idea of the time I will do it in.

Haha that 4 mile one sounds like a fun race! Great idea cos slower runners could still be in with a chance of winning :) Good luck!

The Monivea one suits me way more than the one in Dublin! Thats cool that theres one close by, might actually do it.
    Do you register on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

Yep, either eat before food or wait 2 hours after eating! Best of luck tonight, what were u doing up so early/late this morning/yesterday? :D
    terlywerly wrote: »
    Good luck with W3D2 tonight, I'm doing it tomorrow night, will be away for most of today at family gathering. I was expecting the 3 minute runs to be nearly impossible but I got through them (still stunned at this lol). I just kept telling myself it'd be fine and I'd be able for it, and I was.
    I nearly had a bad stitch one of the days last week and it really annoyed me having to stop :mad: I usually give it about 2 hours + before I go out in the evenings, and make sure I've had plenty of water during the day.
    Good luck with tonight though!

Cheers guys, did W3D2 yesterday (in the rain :() and managed to get through the whole thing with no stopping. Was blimming wrecked after the last 3 minute run though, am already worrying about the 5 minute runs next week! I'll have to see how I go with my last run of Week 3 over the weekend.

I'm actually in Australia BN, so I was posting during the daytime here :) Will have to update my location, since I'll be here for the forseeable future.

Haha that 4 mile one sounds like a fun race! Great idea cos slower runners could still be in with a chance of winning :) Good luck!

The Monivea one suits me way more than the one in Dublin! Thats cool that theres one close by, might actually do it.
    Do you register on the day?

No idea about the registration but I assume it is on the day as I havent seen it anywhere else.

Cheers guys, did W3D2 yesterday (in the rain :() and managed to get through the whole thing with no stopping. Was blimming wrecked after the last 3 minute run though, am already worrying about the 5 minute runs next week! I'll have to see how I go with my last run of Week 3 over the weekend.

I'm actually in Australia BN, so I was posting during the daytime here :) Will have to update my location, since I'll be here for the forseeable future.

In Australia? Wow, thats cool! Are you there with work or are you travelling? What part of Oz are you in? Well done for W3D2, don't worry about the 5 min runs, you'll be able to do them no problem, just keep saying to yourself "I can do this! I can do this!" (PMA) :D xx

Just back from my run (Week 2 Day 5 of Hal Higdon's 10K program) and the farthest/longest I've run so far! 3.5miles(5.7K) in 40:58 :D:D Getting back in the groove this week, last week was a bit odd getting used to running without the podcast telling me how long to go! Sometimes I miss Carli and her odd music choices (don't mind the music its that she doesn't stick to the same tempo throughout!).
    I know this is the C25K thread so I'll start the 5 to 10K thread when enough people are doing it! :D

Well done chickenpoo for W3D2!! Doing it tonight myself, am definitely much more able for it in the evenings than earlier in the day. I'd much prefer to be jogging in Australia than Ireland :)
    Well done for W3D2, don't worry about the 5 min runs, you'll be able to do them no problem, just keep saying to yourself "I can do this! I can do this!" (PMA) :D xx
    That's what I did on Wednesday night, and it worked, plus an extra 30 seconds which I know wasn't much, but was a massive achievement for me!!
    Just back from my run (Week 2 Day 5 of Hal Higdon's 10K program) and the farthest/longest I've run so far! 3.5miles(5.7K) in 40:58 :D:D Getting back in the groove this week, last week was a bit odd getting used to running without the podcast telling me how long to go! Sometimes I miss Carli and her odd music choices (don't mind the music its that she doesn't stick to the same tempo throughout!).
    I know this is the C25K thread so I'll start the 5 to 10K thread when enough people are doing it! :D
    Well done BN, you are doing brilliant, you've inspired so many people to take up the programme. Even if you do make a new thread for the HH programme, you'll have to stop back in here once and a while to cheer us on when we need it! :D

• Advertisement

Well done BN, you are doing brilliant, you've inspired so many people to take up the programme. Even if you do make a new thread for the HH programme, you'll have to stop back in here once and a while to cheer us on when we need it! :D

Haha there's no getting rid of me! Will still keep posting here but I don't want to post my running times on here cos I don't think its fair. It might intimidate people and scare them off from starting and I really don't want that!

And hey, 30 seconds is good going don't feel embarassed about it! Nearly did a bit extra myself today but didn't want to do too much cos I'll be running again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on starting the C25k programme tomorrow - although I'm terrified that I will just quit.

I have never done any kind of running before in my life (I wouldn't even run for a bus).

I gave up the cigarettes in January and have been following a few people from the giving up smoking thread who have also been doing the C25K programme (well done Mac and Dollie and all the others!). Although the initial eating round the clock has now subsided a lot since the early days off the cigarettes - I still have a good few pounds to lose. I'm finding it hard to do this with diet alone because of weddings/christenings/etc. happening at the moment and life must go on. So I'm thinking exercise is my best option.

Anyway, I've downloaded one of the podcasts from Page 1 so fingers crossed tomorrow goes ok!!!

If giving up smoking has taught me one thing it is that I can do anything I put my mind to!

Therefore I'm looking forward to being able to report having survived tomorrow's run with all bones & joints intact. I have a very weak lower back and I'm hoping this will help. I will run in the forest tomorrow as I'm sure its better for my back.

Anyway, please wish me luck all. Hopefully I'll be here tomorrow saying how easy it was and I'll fall in love with the programme in no time (I've never been a major exercise fan so I'm pretty sceptical on this one but hopefull!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Good luck JackieO. In all honesty I think you would be very lucky to find it easy- I certainly didnt on day 1. You just have to do as much as you can on day one, if you cant manage the whole thing, just do your best, and the nex5t time will be easier. I find counting the steps really helps- it gives me something to focus on. For example for me a 60 second run is 180 steps, 3 mins is 480 etc.

I was the most unfit person ever- but i think this programme is amazing. I managed to do my first 5 minute runs today (800 steps) and I fel great after it. Just keep going- you will get there!

Did W3D2 tonight. Did the same route as D1, at the same time in the evening, and left it the same amount of time after dinner and I found it tougher today. Did the 90 seconds grand, and the 3 mins ok too, but at the end of the 2nd 90 seconds I could feel the back of my legs tight, like I hadn't stretched (which I always do before I run). So I finished up and when the 3 min run started I could only manage about 30 seconds before I had to stop and walk because it felt very sore :mad: Was very annoyed but I kept running after that and did another minute run when I should have been walking to make up the time, and another 30/40 seconds after I had walked for a few mins as well. I don't understand how it was harder today. I went out with a great attitude after doing so well on Wednesday, but I guess there are always tough days, even if there doesn't seem to be a reason.
    Met a few people strolling along with ice creams as I was jogging :( Tempting me lol. But I got home without diverting to the shop and treated myself to a Loop the Loop instead, a nice, safe 85kcal, instead of the lumps of ice cream the shop beside us gives in a cone (even though I'd feckin' kill for one right now...) :D
    Hopefully W3D3 will go ok on Sunday and I won't be disheartened. Have the 5 min runs next week. Am thinking I might change my route again for W4. As I am for W3 the end of the podcast has me very close to my house, and I'd like a bit of a gap to cool down after the runs. Will have to consult Google Maps or something to find a new route. Does anyone have a rough idea (distance wise) how long W4 is so I can plan accordingly?

Finally finished week 5 :D 20 minutes! Was dying after 10 and wanted to stop but then it got easier & my breathing was great. Shin splints played up a bit though.

"I'd like to thank BrainyNeuron for the company & refusing to let me stop, the rain for causing the empty streets, my running shoes, the cold breeze for refreshing me... if I've left anyone out I'm sorry - you know who you are!" *breaks down in tears* :D

Woop woop! Feeling good :pac: Bring on week 6! 8 Days til mini marathon...

Finally finished week 5 :D 20 minutes! Was dying after 10 and wanted to stop but then it got easier & my breathing was great. Shin splints played up a bit though.

"I'd like to thank BrainyNeuron for the company & refusing to let me stop, the rain for causing the empty streets, my running shoes, the cold breeze for refreshing me... if I've left anyone out I'm sorry - you know who you are!" *breaks down in tears* :D

Woop woop! Feeling good :pac: Bring on week 6! 8 Days til mini marathon...
    Congratulations cherub rock!!!!!! So proud of you!! Was thinking of you and BN earlier on, wondering if you'd managed the 20 mins, yay!! :D I'd say you feel brilliant for doing it, it's a great achievement.
    And well done to brainyneuron for helping too :)
    You're gonna fly it for the mini marathon next week :D

Congratulations cherub rock!!!!!! So proud of you!! Was thinking of you and BN earlier on, wondering if you'd managed the 20 mins, yay!! :D I'd say you feel brilliant for doing it, it's a great achievement.
    And well done to brainyneuron for helping too :)
    You're gonna fly it for the mini marathon next week :D

Thanks doll! Yea, feeling good alright! I love your exercise ticker! You're so committed!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Hi all! congrats to you all for getting out this week and completing the runs regardless of what stage your at we've all started in the same place and we will all get to the end and beyond no problem!!;)

Well i got out and decided to do week 8 day1 today. wasnt sure if i should or not as i had only done two days of week 7 and havent been able to get out since monday last, but decided to go out and try the 28 mins and see how i got on! Well im delighted to report that i managed the whole lot without stopping once!!!:D:D granted i was at a snails pace by the last 5 mins but i didnt stop and that is HUGE for me. up to now ive been stopping for a bit and then picking it back up but today everything just seemed to fall into sync and i did the whole thing without stopping once. i was so happy to have done it all.i didnt get even a hint of a stitch,my breathing was perfect and yeah i got tired but it wasnt anything i couldnt run through!

so im really looking forward to the rest of the week now and then getting into week 9 next week. i still cant believe that 8 weeks ago i was puffed out after 1 minute runs and now i can run for 28 mins!

was just wondering about gait analysis. my oh got what sounds like bad shin splints today(really tight feeling/pain after he stopped running down the length of his shins on the outside of each leg if that makes sense??) and i was saying he should get his gait measured and get some new runners. only thing is hes worried that by getting it done he'll feel obliged to buy a really expensive pair that the shop recommend. He would have about 100e for a pair would that be enough to get a decent pair of runners that would give good support for someone that is vert flat footed?

Thanks doll! Yea, feeling good alright! I love your exercise ticker! You're so committed!
    Haha thanks, I try to keep as motivated as possible, and seeing that little runner getting closer to the pot of gold helps a lot. The frog hasn't done much moving in the grass in the last week but hopefully that'll change on Monday... I still have a fair bit to go, and I'd absolutely love to see 10 stone anything lb on the scales lol that would be a huge achievement for me!! :D
    Hi all! congrats to you all for getting out this week and completing the runs regardless of what stage your at we've all started in the same place and we will all get to the end and beyond no problem!!;)
    Thanks itsallabout me!! sometimes it can be hard to look at all you guys a few weeks ahead and hear about 20+ minutes running when some of us are struggling for 3 mins lol but we all will get there in the end, and hopefully plenty more will come behind us too, looking at how well we did.
    so im really looking forward to the rest of the week now and then getting into week 9 next week. i still cant believe that 8 weeks ago i was puffed out after 1 minute runs and now i can run for 28 mins!
    5k here you come, you're flying!! I don't know if I'll be able to run as planned on Sunday night, the pain I had in the back of my legs doing the 2nd 3 min run has moved to my right knee for some reason. Going up and down steps today I could definitely feel it. But if I'm not feeling 100% I'll put it off till Monday, and hopefully do a good job then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

was just wondering about gait analysis. my oh got what sounds like bad shin splints today(really tight feeling/pain after he stopped running down the length of his shins on the outside of each leg if that makes sense??) and i was saying he should get his gait measured and get some new runners. only thing is hes worried that by getting it done he'll feel obliged to buy a really expensive pair that the shop recommend. He would have about 100e for a pair would that be enough to get a decent pair of runners that would give good support for someone that is vert flat footed?

He is under no obligation to buy after getting the gait analysis done. However €100 is plenty, so if he just tells the salesperson what he has to spend before getting the test done there'll be no misunderstandings. He might even get a nice reduction on a pair worth over €100 ;)

Advertisement