Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Helloooooooo everyone! Well I've still been ploughing away with C25K! I'm on week 9 now! But to be honest I started doing 30 minute runs last week! So I'm not too scared! Mini marathon in ONE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Getting slightly scared!

But I'm just gonna stick with the 5k for the minute! Going to do an extra run this week but that's it! Don't wanna push myself to the point where I can't do the actual marathon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Congrats! I'm nearly finished week 7, you got way ahead of me. You'll get through the marathon no bother I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jaysus people, some great work being dont this weekend by everyone at different levels. Fair play!

Well, I kinda integrated W7D3 into that 4 mile run I did today.
    Its the first time I have been on a road with more people running. The event was a guess your own time and watches/ipods etc weren't allowed.

So anyway, I guessed I would do a mixture of walk/run and come in in around 49:30.
    I was running with a friend and we were right at the back.
    The heat was intense, lovely day. Secondly it was a really hilly course and had no watch to pace myself.
    So ran for a fair bit at the start, no idea how long for. Then walked/ran the rest, ran over the finish.
    Managed to get around in 46:30 and was delighted with that as it was apparently not a great distance to start running a race at as I had never done anywhere near that before.
    Probably came in last as there was a relatively serious field at it but I didnt mind.

Anyway, looking back, learned a lot, got to hit some real hills at a pretty warm time of day and managed to finish it and huge strides made from 7 weeks ago.
    Starting W8D1 on Tuesday with the 5K in Monivea right at the end of my training so thats a great target to have and after doing the 4 Mile I feel I will be well able to run the whole 5 K in two more weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Hi all,
    I'm brand new to running and started C25K today. I got through it but found it so tough! I've never been much good at running (still have embarassing memories of coming last in school sports day races). Anyway, made it through day 1 and hopefully will improve! (Also made the mistake of running a bit to soon after eating, only left an hour and a half in between, so got a stitch).
    I'll have to read back through this thread as I'm sure there's loads of inspiration and advice that will be helpful! I'll also be heading to Dublin for the mini marathon, but will definitely be walking this year!

jw297 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm brand new to running and started C25K today. I got through it but found it so tough! I've never been much good at running (still have embarassing memories of coming last in school sports day races). Anyway, made it through day 1 and hopefully will improve! (Also made the mistake of running a bit to soon after eating, only left an hour and a half in between, so got a stitch).
    I'll have to read back through this thread as I'm sure there's loads of inspiration and advice that will be helpful! I'll also be heading to Dublin for the mini marathon, but will definitely be walking this year!
    It gets easier.
    I had never run up until 7 weeks ago.
    Theres plenty of tips on this thread and if after reading it you need any more help or advice just ask someone.
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

kippy wrote: »
    Jaysus people, some great work being dont this weekend by everyone at different levels. Fair play!

Well, I kinda integrated W7D3 into that 4 mile run I did today.
    Its the first time I have been on a road with more people running. The event was a guess your own time and watches/ipods etc weren't allowed.

So anyway, I guessed I would do a mixture of walk/run and come in in around 49:30.
    I was running with a friend and we were right at the back.
    The heat was intense, lovely day. Secondly it was a really hilly course and had no watch to pace myself.
    So ran for a fair bit at the start, no idea how long for. Then walked/ran the rest, ran over the finish.
    Managed to get around in 46:30 and was delighted with that as it was apparently not a great distance to start running a race at as I had never done anywhere near that before.
    Probably came in last as there was a relatively serious field at it but I didnt mind.

Anyway, looking back, learned a lot, got to hit some real hills at a pretty warm time of day and managed to finish it and huge strides made from 7 weeks ago.
    Starting W8D1 on Tuesday with the 5K in Monivea right at the end of my training so thats a great target to have and after doing the 4 Mile I feel I will be well able to run the whole 5 K in two more weeks.
    Well done, you'll be flying for the 5k in 2 weeks time! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

jw297 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Good luck jw297 and welcome to the thread!! Congrats on W1D1, the first day is always the hardest. There's tons of tips and advice on the pages, but if you are ever wondering about anything in particular just ask away, the guys on here are brilliant!!

Was gonna do W3D3 tonight, but just to be sure that my legs/knee is ok after Friday night, I'm gonna leave it till tomorrow night just to be sure. I'd rather give it an extra day than cause myself an injury.

Well done to everyone who progressed over the weekend!!! Lets all have a good week this week too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Finally finished week 5 :D 20 minutes! Was dying after 10 and wanted to stop but then it got easier & my breathing was great. Shin splints played up a bit though.

"I'd like to thank BrainyNeuron for the company & refusing to let me stop, the rain for causing the empty streets, my running shoes, the cold breeze for refreshing me... if I've left anyone out I'm sorry - you know who you are!" *breaks down in tears* :D

Woop woop! Feeling good :pac: Bring on week 6! 8 Days til mini marathon...

Great acceptance speech ;):D You really are fab for doing it and keeping it going. Hope your legs/shins aren't too bad today?
    terlywerly wrote:
    Congratulations cherub rock!!!!!! So proud of you!! Was thinking of you and BN earlier on, wondering if you'd managed the 20 mins, yay!! biggrin.gif I'd say you feel brilliant for doing it, it's a great achievement.
    And well done to brainyneuron for helping too smile.gif
    You're gonna fly it for the mini marathon next week biggrin.gif

The weather was crappy and 'blagh' is the only way to describe it! Not raining as such, just drizzling and cos we were running along the quays, there was no shelter from the wind. But it was great to have someone to chat to and yes, she wanted to give up after 10 but around the 15-20 min mark she got her groove and probably could have gone for 5 more :p I was the one wanting to stop while she was upping the stride and pulling further ahead! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

In Australia? Wow, thats cool! Are you there with work or are you travelling? What part of Oz are you in? Well done for W3D2, don't worry about the 5 min runs, you'll be able to do them no problem, just keep saying to yourself "I can do this! I can do this!" (PMA) :D xx
    terlywerly wrote: »
    Well done chickenpoo for W3D2!! Doing it tonight myself, am definitely much more able for it in the evenings than earlier in the day. I'd much prefer to be jogging in Australia than Ireland :)

That's what I did on Wednesday night, and it worked, plus an extra 30 seconds which I know wasn't much, but was a massive achievement for me!!

Thanks guys, yep the idea of running in sunny Sydney is lovely, but I'm afraid the reality is that it's winter here, the days are short and freezing, and it's been raining a lot over the last couple of weeks. And none of the houses in Australia have central heating!!! I'm over here studying and working, did a year over here travelling with my friends a couple of years ago and met a nice Aussie boy, so am over here living with him now.

Did W3D3 yesterday, I went out originally on Sunday morning and got halfway through it but really wasn't feeling well, so gave up and went home. Then I went back out on Sunday evening and got through the whole thing, I'm really not finding those 3 minute runs any easier! I've been doing it without music so far, because my earphones are rubbish and won't stay in my ears while running, so I think I'll have to look into getting some new ones. I know from going to the gym that music really helps me while exercise, gives me something to concentrate on instead of the pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Eerie

Hi guys,

Been reading this thread for ages but never got around to posting. Myself and my boyfriend are doing this together and are about to tackle W6D2 this evening.
    Found it grand so far. The 20 minutes was tough but I did it, thank god. I find doing it with someone else really helps me through it as I think I would have given up many times by now if I did it alone.

Congrats to all on getting up and doing it, no matter what stage you're at. GO US!!! :D

-E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I like them as the one I listen to has a lovely American lady telling you how much time is left and that you can do it.. but on the other hand her taste in music is awful! How are you doing it with your own music? Just making a 25 min playlist?

Yep finding mixing abba with cascada/dance tunes and the odd bit of angry rock kinda working for me.:D

Redpunto wrote: »
    Yep finding mixing abba with cascada/dance tunes and the odd bit of angry rock kinda working for me.:D

Good call, I think once I finish the 9 weeks I'll start making my own playlists!

The fates do not want me to run... I do W3D2 on Friday and am dying with pains in my legs. On to Sunday where my knee is still killing me. Walk into town today to do my shopping and manage to whack my leg (same one with dodgy knee) into one of those transformer box things for electricity (ow by the way). Got over that and managed to get home and its LASHING outside. Stupid Ireland... I absolutely have to go running tomorrow, I wanna finish W3 and get on to W4!!!! :mad::mad:
    chickenpoo wrote: »
    Did W3D3 yesterday, I went out originally on Sunday morning and got halfway through it but really wasn't feeling well, so gave up and went home. Then I went back out on Sunday evening and got through the whole thing, I'm really not finding those 3 minute runs any easier! I've been doing it without music so far, because my earphones are rubbish and won't stay in my ears while running, so I think I'll have to look into getting some new ones. I know from going to the gym that music really helps me while exercise, gives me something to concentrate on instead of the pain!
    I'd die without my podcasts lol I think if I didn't have them I'd just give up altogther :eek: I found the 2nd 3 min run for W3D2 very hard, I'm hoping when I do get around to W3D3 (tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow, do you hear that, thunder clouds???) that it'll be as good as W3D1.
    Eerie wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Been reading this thread for ages but never got around to posting. Myself and my boyfriend are doing this together and are about to tackle W6D2 this evening.
    Found it grand so far. The 20 minutes was tough but I did it, thank god. I find doing it with someone else really helps me through it as I think I would have given up many times by now if I did it alone.

Congrats to all on getting up and doing it, no matter what stage you're at. GO US!!! :D

-E
    Well done Eerie for getting so far, you're lucky to have your OH doing it with you. All I have is my trusty water bottle to keep me company :(

I wish it would stop raining. I don't mind drizzle/normal 'Ireland' rain or wind, but this rain is so bad. It's coming in under our back door it's that bad. The dog won't even go out the back, he got back into his bed in the kitchen. Unless a miracle happens before 10 o' clock, I won't be heading out tonight :mad:

On the plus, I lost 4lb in the last 2 weeks, yay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Well as I posted I did the 20 min run last week...

Bit of a busy booze filled weekend and this eve did W6D1 ... and the first 5 min run nearly killed me. I think I thought I was invincible after one 20 min run - that taught me, I'm wrecked now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Hi Everyone

Well I survived the run on saturday. It was tough and I had to take a 3 minute break approx half way through but I finished it.

Began to get sore yesterday and worse today although it was wearing off by the time I went out this evening for my 2nd run of the week - and Yes, I ran through the rain and even though my ipod decided it wasn't going to work!

So I had to time it myself. It was lucky I was running around the football pitch so I just ran 2 sides of the pitch and walked the other two. Did this 8 times as I wasn't sure exactly without the ipod!

Anyway, 2 runs out of the way so I'm thrilled with myself. I'm pretty stiff now again but hopefully this will get better soon!

JackieO wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Well I survived the run on saturday. It was tough and I had to take a 3 minute break approx half way through but I finished it.

Began to get sore yesterday and worse today although it was wearing off by the time I went out this evening for my 2nd run of the week - and Yes, I ran through the rain and even though my ipod decided it wasn't going to work!

So I had to time it myself. It was lucky I was running around the football pitch so I just ran 2 sides of the pitch and walked the other two. Did this 8 times as I wasn't sure exactly without the ipod!

Anyway, 2 runs out of the way so I'm thrilled with myself. I'm pretty stiff now again but hopefully this will get better soon!
    If you are getting stiff it may be that you arent stretching enough after the session is over.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml
    At a minimum I do 1,2 and 7 before and after the session. I think it is more important afterwards and I know from experience that proper stretching will ensure you dont get as stiff (or stiff at all).

Fair play for getting it started. At the very least though you need a timing mechanism, even a watch and an idea of the intervals you are supposed to run although missing out on this one session isnt too bad.
    Best of luck.

what2do wrote: »
    Well as I posted I did the 20 min run last week...

Bit of a busy booze filled weekend and this eve did W6D1 ... and the first 5 min run nearly killed me. I think I thought I was invincible after one 20 min run - that taught me, I'm wrecked now!!
    I've had a few of those weekends as well in the past few weeks and they've "impinged" on the running but thats life.
    I remember the first run after the 20 min one. You do really feel like a world beater! In no time at all you'll be at 25 minutes and you wont believe the improvements.

I hope the wet weather isnt around too long, I am out for W8D1 at some stage tomorrow although I believe the forecast is good.
    Gonna try get ALL my W8 runs out of the way before saturday morning as this weekend will again be boozy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Well done to all the 20 minute runners! I still cant imagine myself being able to do that!

Did week 4 day 2 last night. I wasnt really feeling up to it at the start so I tricked myself by telling my head I would only do half- and then just kept pushing till the end. My face is still always purple at the end- but I seem to recover a bit quicker. My boyfriend thinks im crazy coming home from a day of work and heading out- but its such a feeling of achievement once it is done- well worth the hassle!

Well after my disaster weekend and yesterday too I finally got out to do W3D3 this evening. Managed it all (although hit major steep gradient in the middle of 2nd 3 min run and had to slow it down) but I did an extra 45 seconds or so at the end to make it up. Also noticed I was a bit faster tonight than the last few nights. Have W4 now to contend with (5 min jogs!! :eek:) and I think I'll try and do W4D1 on Thursday.
    Can't believe I've done 3 weeks already. Feel pretty intimidated about week 4, does anyone have any tips/advice for the 5 min jogs and the shorter rest periods?
    JackieO wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Well done for getting out there JackieO!! It is worth it (even though I complain lol) and I figure even if I can never do more than jog for 3 minutes, I'm still doing more than when I started and that's a huge accomplishment.
    Thumpette wrote: »
    Well done to all the 20 minute runners! I still cant imagine myself being able to do that!

Did week 4 day 2 last night. I wasnt really feeling up to it at the start so I tricked myself by telling my head I would only do half- and then just kept pushing till the end. My face is still always purple at the end- but I seem to recover a bit quicker. My boyfriend thinks im crazy coming home from a day of work and heading out- but its such a feeling of achievement once it is done- well worth the hassle!

Well well worth the hassle :) As I was plodding along today I was thinking how great it is to just get out there away from the house and everything and just jog! How are you finding week 4? Any tips for the nervous one here??? :D

And well done to everyone for their progress. chickenpoo have you started W4 yet? How are you getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

terlywerly wrote: »
    chickenpoo have you started W4 yet? How are you getting on?

Just back from doing W4D1, and it went very well, yay! I was a bit worried because I was very out of breath last week after the 3 minute runs, so today I just slowed it down a bit, and it went grand. I'm delighted now :)

Well done on finishing Week 3, terlywerly! We'll be doing those 20 minute runs before we know it!

• Advertisement

chickenpoo wrote: »
    Just back from doing W4D1, and it went very well, yay! I was a bit worried because I was very out of breath last week after the 3 minute runs, so today I just slowed it down a bit, and it went grand. I'm delighted now :)

Well done on finishing Week 3, terlywerly! We'll be doing those 20 minute runs before we know it!
    Yay, glad you did it!! I was very tired after W3D3 but I think I'm gonna slow it down a bit for the 5 min runs too. Speed can come later, getting the run finished is more important for now :)
    I'm starting to notice my legs are less 'wobbly' and my bum looks more toned :D and I'm fitting into old jeans I haven't fit into for well over a year!!
    Who would have thought exercise and a healthy diet helps you lose weight and tone up?? :rolleyes: ;)

Anyone lurking here thinking about starting up DOOOOOOO IT!!!!! You'll be amazed how great it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Newbie here, after reading this I was recruited ;)

Did wk1day1 yest and was going to stop halfway but I kept going!!
    Can't imagine being able to run 30mins it will be great :D

JimmyMoose wrote: »
    Newbie here, after reading this I was recruited ;)

Did wk1day1 yest and was going to stop halfway but I kept going!!
    Can't imagine being able to run 30mins it will be great :D

Haha my plan worked!! :D
    Welcome JimmyMoose and well done for W1D1, its a great programme. I never thought I'd be able to run at all and I'm starting week 4 tomorrow.
    The best of luck with it, and keep us updated on how you're getting on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Thanks a mil :D Just back from a 30min cycle there and I can def feel it in my legs, i've a feeling wk1dy2 will be a stuggle tomorrow but has to be done! Congrats on getting to week 4 :) are you feeling fitter?? Hope it helps with my weight loss too! :)

JimmyMoose wrote: »
    Thanks a mil :D Just back from a 30min cycle there and I can def feel it in my legs, i've a feeling wk1dy2 will be a stuggle tomorrow but has to be done! Congrats on getting to week 4 :) are you feeling fitter?? Hope it helps with my weight loss too! :)
    I wouldn't say I'm feeling fitter per se, but I know I must be lol. The first time I went out I came back purple in the face and feeling like I was going to die!! I was still sore 3 days afterwards. Now I go and jog and sure I'm warm and tired when I get back, but once I have a shower and some water I'm grand. My biggest problem is I live in a very hilly area so no matter what way I go I encounter steep hills :(
    I've been eating healthier as well as my jogging and I'm really happy with the way its progressing so far. May not ever make it to the full 5k, but I'll try my best. And a good positive attitude definitely goes a long way :D

Week 7 = completed! On to 27 min run on Friday :eek:

I found the 5 minute runs tough when I first tried them, my tip would be to try to get used to the extended running time and enjoy it, and not spend the whole time looking forward to the next break - hard I know! But the time goes faster that way!

Week 7 = completed! On to 27 min run on Friday :eek:

I found the 5 minute runs tough when I first tried them, my tip would be to try to get used to the extended running time and enjoy it, and not spend the whole time looking forward to the next break - hard I know! But the time goes faster that way!
    Well done SP!! It is a bit nerve racking thinking about the 5 min jog, but as chickenpoo said in an earlier post, just take it slow and see how it goes.
    I'm gonna try and find a flatter route tomorrow as well, fingers crossed!! And as for not looking forward to the next break... we'll see :p

W8D1 done at nine o clock. Nice and cool.
    Ended up feeling great so carried on running for another 3 minutes (did 5K in 31 minutes)
    I really felt good this evening in the cool breeze and pressure free environment (as opposed to the 4 mile "run" on sunday and having gotten around a 4 mile tough course without a watch I felt a lot more confident running.
    W8D2 on Friday, will take a break over the weekend do W8D3 on Monday, W9D1 on Wednesday, W9D2 on Friday and W9D3 out at the Monivea 5K on Sunday week, which is a great goal to finish off the training with!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Hi all congrats to everyone with their progess this week!

I wish i could say I made some too but went out for w8d2 last night and totally bombed out:(:(:mad::mad: after such a great run on saturday i was actually feeling really confident going into it last night BUT i had to flipping stop before i even got half way as i got a flipping STITCH:mad: i was so annoyed after not getting one at all on saturday morning i thought id finally broken free of them but no back woth a bang last night and i couldnt even run through it with the pain. id say in total i ran about 15 mins out of the whole 28 and i was so disappointed with myself.

its so frustrating at this stage as the stitches seem to be the only thing holding me back and i just dont know what else i can do to prevent them. im drinking plenty of water everyday 1.5 -2 litre, i stop eating about 2-3 hours before a run stretching before a run, what else is there i just dont know what to do!:o

anyway ill plow on with it going out for day 3 on saturday might even get a bit of a jog in before then and see how it goes wish me luck!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

hi all, had a 2wk break by chance (holiday with nowhere to run then moving house) but started week 3 again (I was on w3d2 before the break). Could barely manage the 3 min runs! Trying to get into them instead of dying for the next break but it's hard. I don't even want to think about week 4, im already running week3 very slowly barely covering any distance :D

Any tips on good runners to wear?? I got expensive walking shoes in jan when I was walking, they are NOT suited to running, giant blisters, dont want ot make that mistake again??

Advertisement