Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi all congrats to everyone with their progess this week!

I wish i could say I made some too but went out for w8d2 last night and totally bombed out:(:(:mad::mad: after such a great run on saturday i was actually feeling really confident going into it last night BUT i had to flipping stop before i even got half way as i got a flipping STITCH:mad: i was so annoyed after not getting one at all on saturday morning i thought id finally broken free of them but no back woth a bang last night and i couldnt even run through it with the pain. id say in total i ran about 15 mins out of the whole 28 and i was so disappointed with myself.

its so frustrating at this stage as the stitches seem to be the only thing holding me back and i just dont know what else i can do to prevent them. im drinking plenty of water everyday 1.5 -2 litre, i stop eating about 2-3 hours before a run stretching before a run, what else is there i just dont know what to do!:o

anyway ill plow on with it going out for day 3 on saturday might even get a bit of a jog in before then and see how it goes wish me luck!:o
    You've forgotten one of the most important "stitch" avoidance techniques. Breathing.
    You need to breathe deeply and measured. You need a lot of oxegen when running and in my experience the stitches are avoided by breathnig properly and deeply.
    Dont worry about not getting the 28 done - have another go at it. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Good luck to all the week 4 people- I actually found it much easier than week 3 for some reason! Very odd! Its funny how the once horrible 3 min runs end up being the easy part of the run!

Well I went out last night to do w4d3, but for the first time yet I just gave up. My trackie bottoms are too big now and kept falling down and revealing my pudgy stomach and I just really couldnt be bothered. I did my first 3 minute and about 2 mins of the 5 mins and then just stopped Forest Gump style andshuffled home.

Anyway hopefully will do better next time!

bluewolf wrote: »
    hi all, had a 2wk break by chance (holiday with nowhere to run then moving house) but started week 3 again (I was on w3d2 before the break). Could barely manage the 3 min runs! Trying to get into them instead of dying for the next break but it's hard. I don't even want to think about week 4, im already running week3 very slowly barely covering any distance :D

Any tips on good runners to wear?? I got expensive walking shoes in jan when I was walking, they are NOT suited to running, giant blisters, dont want ot make that mistake again??

I think I have a pair of Adidas GLS (something like that) which I got in the states last year.
    Adidas make a few "well known" running shoes which I am sure other people can recommend here. Some people even get their gait analysed and the shop recommends a specific pair for them (have a look back over the last 20-30 posts, I think theres a discussion on this fairly recently in the thread).
    Another item which most here would recommend is a "decent" pair of socks. These can be the source for your blisters more than the runners, expecially if they are bunching up or arent ideal. There was also a discussion on "anti" blister socks some pages back that aldi/lidl do every now and again. I have a decent (nothing anti blister about them) pair of socks that I use for every run.
    Keep the head up and keep ploughing on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

kippy wrote: »
    You've forgotten one of the most important "stitch" avoidance techniques. Breathing.
    You need to breathe deeply and measured. You need a lot of oxegen when running and in my experience the stitches are avoided by breathnig properly and deeply.
    Dont worry about not getting the 28 done - have another go at it. You'll be fine.

i do have to concentrate ALOT on this when im running as my OH has commented before that he can hear that im breathing very quickly sometimes. when i do get a stitch i find it really hard to get my breathing back on track as my stomach muscles tense up big time making it difficult to get deep breaths in. hopefully last night was just an off day and ill get there in the end!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think I have a pair of Adidas GLS (something like that) which I got in the states last year.
    Adidas make a few "well known" running shoes which I am sure other people can recommend here. Some people even get their gait analysed and the shop recommends a specific pair for them (have a look back over the last 20-30 posts, I think theres a discussion on this fairly recently in the thread).
    Another item which most here would recommend is a "decent" pair of socks. These can be the source for your blisters more than the runners, expecially if they are bunching up or arent ideal. There was also a discussion on "anti" blister socks some pages back that aldi/lidl do every now and again. I have a decent (nothing anti blister about them) pair of socks that I use for every run.
    Keep the head up and keep ploughing on with it.

Ah brill - was starting to wonder was it my socks. I will have a look for another pair. thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Just done wk1dy2, actually crazy how unfit I am, like 60 second runs and I think I'm going to pass out! Cannot wait to get better!! Blisters attacking me too :( I think I am going to love this program even though week 1 is way harder than I expected!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

hi all, had a 2wk break by chance (holiday with nowhere to run then moving house) but started week 3 again (I was on w3d2 before the break). Could barely manage the 3 min runs! Trying to get into them instead of dying for the next break but it's hard. I don't even want to think about week 4, im already running week3 very slowly barely covering any distance :D

Any tips on good runners to wear?? I got expensive walking shoes in jan when I was walking, they are NOT suited to running, giant blisters, dont want ot make that mistake again??
    Week 3 is hard alright, I'm nervous about the 5 min runs tonight. I'm using the Hilly Twin Skin socks, I find them brilliant, haven't had a blister since I started using them!
    It can be very hard to try and control it at times, I know :( but I'm trying extra hard as well!
    Thumpette wrote: »
    Good luck to all the week 4 people- I actually found it much easier than week 3 for some reason! Very odd! Its funny how the once horrible 3 min runs end up being the easy part of the run!

Well I went out last night to do w4d3, but for the first time yet I just gave up. My trackie bottoms are too big now and kept falling down and revealing my pudgy stomach and I just really couldnt be bothered. I did my first 3 minute and about 2 mins of the 5 mins and then just stopped Forest Gump style andshuffled home.

Anyway hopefully will do better next time!
    Thanks Thumpette, as one of the week 4 people :eek: I hope it goes well. And don't worry about your last run, we all have bad days. Next time will be better!! :D
    JimmyMoose wrote: »
    Just done wk1dy2, actually crazy how unfit I am, like 60 second runs and I think I'm going to pass out! Cannot wait to get better!! Blisters attacking me too :( I think I am going to love this program even though week 1 is way harder than I expected!!
    You couldn't be as unfit as me!! I was fit to die even in week 2. Try maybe getting your hands on anti blister socks, they are a life saver!

W4D1 tonight :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I duno if I posted this before, but w1d1 i couldn't even do the full thing, I think I did about half of it. I was lying on my bed panting like a fish out of water for about 15 mins after! I couldn't believe I was able to do it the other 2 days with less trouble, and then on week 2 I was still panting but shorter recovery time. Seriously unbelievable how much you can progress even in 2 weeks!

I duno if I posted this before, but w1d1 i couldn't even do the full thing, I think I did about half of it. I was lying on my bed panting like a fish out of water for about 15 mins after! I couldn't believe I was able to do it the other 2 days with less trouble, and then on week 2 I was still panting but shorter recovery time. Seriously unbelievable how much you can progress even in 2 weeks!

Would totally acho that sentiment.
    I was pretty shafted after starting the programme but as the weeks go on your surprise yourself more.
    I cant say I am "enjoying" the running yet but I am getting there.

Would totally acho that sentiment.
    I was pretty shafted after starting the programme but as the weeks go on your surprise yourself more.
    I cant say I am "enjoying" the running yet but I am getting there.
    +1
    I do have brief moments where I think to myself 'yeah, this is going pretty well' and then back to 'Oh dear God, I'm going to die, when is the next break!!'.
    :D

• Advertisement

Well not total disaster, more a setback. W4D1 you have defeated me today... :(
    Decided to try another new longer route today to take into account the 5 min jogs. Did the 3 min jog fine and was ready for the 5 min jog after 90 seconds, did all the 5 min jog except for maybe 30 seconds near the middle where I encountered a very steep hill. Ready again after the 2 1/2 mins for the 3 min jog, did about 45 seconds and DISASTER! :mad::eek: Huuuuuuuuge steep hill that I thought I'd be able to jog part of (but not a hope lol). Ended up walking the hill and next thing it beeped for the 90 second walk. Did the walk and did about 2 or 2 and a half mins of the 5 min jog before I just said feck it I give up. I was also really close to my house which is in a residential area, and being the self conscious jogger that I am, I didn't wanna jog too close to home. Really stupid I know, but I am working on it. So I stopped and walked the rest of the way home. Cool down music was just finishing as I got to my street.
    Problems I need to sort before Saturday evening jog:
    1. Find a longer route, that avoids hills at all costs, even if it leaves me ages away from home, I can walk slowly to get back
    2. Find out why my stupid earphones kept falling out of my ears tonight grrr :mad: it cracked me up!
    3. And why were my socks slipping!!! (It really was that kind of evening...)
    4. Try and get over irrational fear of jogging without a zip up top over my t shirt. I was melted by the time I came back, even though there was a lovely breeze.
    5. Try not to feel bad about not doing all the jogs. Even if I have to repeat the week, I am still exercising. This time 5 weeks ago I was sitting on my fat bum.

Long post I know, but I do feel a bit defeated. And I really think if the gigantic hill hadn't been in the way I would have been well able for all the 3 min and most of the 5 min.

Grrrrr :mad::(:mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

terlywerly wrote: »
    Well not total disaster, more a setback. W4D1 you have defeated me today... :(
    Decided to try another new longer route today to take into account the 5 min jogs. Did the 3 min jog fine and was ready for the 5 min jog after 90 seconds, did all the 5 min jog except for maybe 30 seconds near the middle where I encountered a very steep hill. Ready again after the 2 1/2 mins for the 3 min jog, did about 45 seconds and DISASTER! :mad::eek: Huuuuuuuuge steep hill that I thought I'd be able to jog part of (but not a hope lol). Ended up walking the hill and next thing it beeped for the 90 second walk. Did the walk and did about 2 or 2 and a half mins of the 5 min jog before I just said feck it I give up. I was also really close to my house which is in a residential area, and being the self conscious jogger that I am, I didn't wanna jog too close to home. Really stupid I know, but I am working on it. So I stopped and walked the rest of the way home. Cool down music was just finishing as I got to my street.
    Problems I need to sort before Saturday evening jog:
    1. Find a longer route, that avoids hills at all costs, even if it leaves me ages away from home, I can walk slowly to get back
    2. Find out why my stupid earphones kept falling out of my ears tonight grrr :mad: it cracked me up!
    3. And why were my socks slipping!!! (It really was that kind of evening...)
    4. Try and get over irrational fear of jogging without a zip up top over my t shirt. I was melted by the time I came back, even though there was a lovely breeze.
    5. Try not to feel bad about not doing all the jogs. Even if I have to repeat the week, I am still exercising. This time 5 weeks ago I was sitting on my fat bum.

Long post I know, but I do feel a bit defeated. And I really think if the gigantic hill hadn't been in the way I would have been well able for all the 3 min and most of the 5 min.

Grrrrr :mad::(:mad::(

Don't feel too bad about it, as you said yourself you're doing some exercise rather than sitting at home. Have you looked at something like mapmyrun for planning your runs? That way you can figure out how far your route will be in km/miles, and try and work out how far you'll be running with your workout times? We've just been using this little running track beside our house, but I do just over a lap of it with the 3 minute jog, so going to have to start looking for something a bit more interesting soon. I think mapmyrun has added a load of ads to it recently so it's not as good as it was, maybe someone more experienced here can recommend something better?

I'm hoping to get out for W4D2 this evening, but we've had crazy weather here over the last day or two, really torrential rain. I don't mind running in a drizzle, but don't really feel like being saturated. Crossing my fingers for good weather!!

chickenpoo wrote: »
    Don't feel too bad about it, as you said yourself you're doing some exercise rather than sitting at home. Have you looked at something like mapmyrun for planning your runs? That way you can figure out how far your route will be in km/miles, and try and work out how far you'll be running with your workout times? We've just been using this little running track beside our house, but I do just over a lap of it with the 3 minute jog, so going to have to start looking for something a bit more interesting soon. I think mapmyrun has added a load of ads to it recently so it's not as good as it was, maybe someone more experienced here can recommend something better?

I'm hoping to get out for W4D2 this evening, but we've had crazy weather here over the last day or two, really torrential rain. I don't mind running in a drizzle, but don't really feel like being saturated. Crossing my fingers for good weather!!
    Ah I feel a bit better now that I'm home a while, I was just a bit disappointed. I did map it on google maps but obviously I miscalculated. Also there are some new roads built near my house that aren't on the maps yet so it can be problematic...
    I have a route planned for Saturday that hopefully will work. Mostly flat, to give me a break from evil hills :mad: I'll be a bit away from home when I finish but I'd rather walk home slowly after than put up with feeling bad that I can't finish my jogs! I know if that hill hadn't been in the way I would have been flying it! I'd love a wee running track, I'd lap it 1000 times (well not really but you know what I mean :)) if it avoided some of the hills I meet.
    Weather here tonight was nice, lovely breeze as I was running on the flat. Hopefully Saturday evening will be ok, and hopefully it'll clear up for you too, keep me updated! :D
    Heading to my bed now, this late night website surfing is becoming a habit...

Hills and Heat are the two factors that cause trouble.
    Dont worry too much about it.
    There are "strategies" out there for how to run hills (mostly mental "fixes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

I got stung by a hill yesterday, too. Was on the last run of W1D3 and hit a really steep hill, decided to go for it but was hobbling up so slowly that it was propably no better than walking! Took forever to get my breath back after that, and it had been going ok up until then. Managing to keep stitches at bay with deep breathing, but only just.
    Anyway, week 1 done, which I didn't think I could do after the first day! Bit nervous about progressing to week 2, will make sure to avoid that hill anyway.

Hills and Heat are the two factors that cause trouble.
    Dont worry too much about it.
    There are "strategies" out there for how to run hills (mostly mental "fixes)
    Any tips at all you could give me would be great!! I felt so defeated last night :(
    jw297 wrote: »
    I got stung by a hill yesterday, too. Was on the last run of W1D3 and hit a really steep hill, decided to go for it but was hobbling up so slowly that it was propably no better than walking! Took forever to get my breath back after that, and it had been going ok up until then. Managing to keep stitches at bay with deep breathing, but only just.
    Anyway, week 1 done, which I didn't think I could do after the first day! Bit nervous about progressing to week 2, will make sure to avoid that hill anyway.
    Well done for finishing week 1 and progressing to week 2! I feel your pain about the hills :mad: I actually didn't find week 2 as bad as week 1, I think once you get over the very first day you have the worst of it done.
    I did find W4D1 hard but now I have a plan for tomorrow to make the best of W4D2!!

terlywerly wrote: »
    Any tips at all you could give me would be great!! I felt so defeated last night :(

Well,
    I've taken some tips from runners who have a lot more experience and not taken other tips I have been given.
    Basicilly, keep the head down, looking at the road. Use your arms to "pull" yourself up the hill. (this is something I find hard to invisage but have been told it work)
    Also been told that when running downhill, take more strides, dont lengthen them and I was told this last week end from a relatively new runner, that you should keep your hands by your side when running downhill (starting out)
    Take what you want from that.

As you get more experienced you can actually do hill training so you have more in the tank for getting up longer hills.
    I havent started anything of that serious nature yet but there is an article here - IF YOU WANT to carry on past the C25K programme.
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hilltrain.htm

Well,
    I've taken some tips from runners who have a lot more experience and not taken other tips I have been given.
    Basicilly, keep the head down, looking at the road. Use your arms to "pull" yourself up the hill. (this is something I find hard to invisage but have been told it work)
    Also been told that when running downhill, take more strides, dont lengthen them and I was told this last week end from a relatively new runner, that you should keep your hands by your side when running downhill (starting out)
    Take what you want from that.

As you get more experienced you can actually do hill training so you have more in the tank for getting up longer hills.
    I havent started anything of that serious nature yet but there is an article here - IF YOU WANT to carry on past the C25K programme.
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hilltrain.htm
    Thanks for that kippy, will definitely try it the next time I encounter a hill. Doing W4D2 all on the flat tomorrow (first time since I started to totally avoid a hill - doing it to get a bit of mental self confidence!).
    Haven't thought much past week 4 yet, but I'd love to think I could finish the programme and progress even further in the future, so I've bookmarked that page, thanks a million for the input!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

JackieO wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm planning on starting the C25k programme tomorrow - although I'm terrified that I will just quit.

I have never done any kind of running before in my life (I wouldn't even run for a bus).

I gave up the cigarettes in January and have been following a few people from the giving up smoking thread who have also been doing the C25K programme (well done Mac and Dollie and all the others!). Although the initial eating round the clock has now subsided a lot since the early days off the cigarettes - I still have a good few pounds to lose. I'm finding it hard to do this with diet alone because of weddings/christenings/etc. happening at the moment and life must go on. So I'm thinking exercise is my best option.

Anyway, I've downloaded one of the podcasts from Page 1 so fingers crossed tomorrow goes ok!!!

If giving up smoking has taught me one thing it is that I can do anything I put my mind to!

Therefore I'm looking forward to being able to report having survived tomorrow's run with all bones & joints intact. I have a very weak lower back and I'm hoping this will help. I will run in the forest tomorrow as I'm sure its better for my back.

Anyway, please wish me luck all. Hopefully I'll be here tomorrow saying how easy it was and I'll fall in love with the programme in no time (I've never been a major exercise fan so I'm pretty sceptical on this one but hopefull!!).

Delighted to see you're giving the running a shot. Congrats on staying off the cigarettes. You'll love this program....keep us posted on your progress

<shakes off Indian dinner hangover from last night>

I will go jogging tonight
    I will go jogging tonight
    I WILL GO JOGGING TONIGHT!!!

This Bank Holiday weekend mentality has been bad for me... I never got jogging last night at all. Feel bad today that I didn't go. Someone kick me up the bum if I don't go tonight... :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Week 1 completed! Todays was def the easiest alright! Didn't want to do it for ages because I was just putting off going on to week 2 :P Bring on week 2 on tuesday!!

Week 1 completed! Todays was def the easiest alright! Didn't want to do it for ages because I was just putting off going on to week 2 :P Bring on week 2 on tuesday!!
    Woohoo well done!! Week 2 isn't half as bad. I am going out to do W4D2 later. Was tempted away from it last night by Indian takeaway... So yummy.

Ok got out there and did W4D2 tonight. Found a route with no hills but that left me a bit away from my house when I was done.
    Got first 3 min jog done fine, all of first 5 min jog except maybe a 30/40 second breather somewhere in the middle, second 3 min jog fine. Knew I wouldn't physically be able for the full 5 min of the last jog so I took an extra bit of time walking and then just went for it. Managed about 2 mins 30/45 seconds. Overall very happy with how it went. No hills so that was good and I got more jogging in than in W4D1. Still didn't do the full 5 mins but there's plenty of time for that.
    Ended up afterwards doing a brisk 20/25 min walk to get back home bopping along to my happy playlist on my iPod, so overall lots of exercise, and I'm very happy.
    Glad I went out and did it, and even more glad that there were no hills.
    W4D3 on Wednesday hopefully, and will try and tackle W5D1 on Friday/Saturday. W5D1 is the same as W4 isn't it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Anyone doing this?

I'm seriously considering doing the 5 mile one. I walked just over 5 1/2 miles today with no problems, could have easily done a few more.

http://dublinmarathon.ie/race_series.php

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Anyone doing this?

I'm seriously considering doing the 5 mile one. I walked just over 5 1/2 miles today with no problems, could have easily done a few more.

http://dublinmarathon.ie/race_series.php

Yup, am already entered for the full series and DCM :) They're well organised races and a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Just finished week 5 today, will be doing week 5 again this week as not exactly tripping the light fantastic with it. However, I am now convinced I can feel ribs and clavicles where once there was eh.... cushioning ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Just finished week 5 today, will be doing week 5 again this week as not exactly tripping the light fantastic with it. However, I am now convinced I can feel ribs and clavicles where once there was eh.... cushioning ;):D

It's great isn't it when you can start to feel your jaw line, ribs, and shoulder/collar bones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

About to head up to mini marathon! Let's put C25K to the test!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
    Good luck to all the boardies doing it too! x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Good luck!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Went out for W8D2 but kept going until I'd run the full 30mins! It felt awesome!!! And really, truly, if I can do it, ANYONE can! :D

Advertisement