Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Should be doing wk2dy1 today but ankle is still bruised and swollen, def won't be able to walk on it, damn girl sticking her heel into me on the dancefloor. See how many days it's sore for, might have to do one or two week 1 jogs again for the prep! Kinda annoyed cos I was really into it!

Keep up the good work everyone, and delighted for everyone doing the mini marathon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

JimmyMoose wrote: »
    Should be doing wk2dy1 today but ankle is still bruised and swollen, def won't be able to walk on it, damn girl sticking her heel into me on the dancefloor. See how many days it's sore for, might have to do one or two week 1 jogs again for the prep! Kinda annoyed cos I was really into it!

Keep up the good work everyone, and delighted for everyone doing the mini marathon! :D

Keep your leg iced & elevated. Got any arnica cream? x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

When you guys are doing the running part of C25K, how fast do you run? Do you just jog or run at a fast pace?
    I usually just plod along, but one of my cousins saw me out one night and thought I was flying it, so I'm not sure lol :confused:
    I definitely go the fastest on the 3rd day of each week. I'm not sure whether thats just me getting used to it or maybe something psychological??
    Cool. I just need to find some secluded spot now where no-one will see me :)
    That's what I do lol I try and get as far away from my house as possible. But I'm getting better. For my last jog, I went through an industrial estate!
    JimmyMoose wrote: »

:( for your ankle. Rest up and you'll be ready to tackle it soon.
    I was gonna head out tonight but I've been helping the OH with some DIY all day and I haven't done any shopping for the week yet. If I don't go I'll fall back into old habits so I'm putting off the jogs till tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

When you guys are doing the running part of C25K, how fast do you run? Do you just jog or run at a fast pace?

I go seriously slow, just about a jog, as far as I'm concerned I need to build up some fitness and endurance before I ever even start to think about speed! Once I get better I might be able to go a bit faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

bluewolf wrote: »
    I go seriously slow, just about a jog, as far as I'm concerned I need to build up some fitness and endurance before I ever even start to think about speed! Once I get better I might be able to go a bit faster

Yeah I think I will be doing the same. One of my ankles is a bit sore and stiff after that 7.7 mile walk on Sunday, however I walked to work this morning (Tuesday) and it seemed to loosen up a bit by the time I got into the office.

There's a few grassy looking parks near where I live so I'm going to check one of them out on my way home this evening to see how big it is. I'm guessing it's better to run on grass at the start, rather than footpaths. Especially if you want to rest your joints as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Honestly it depends on how tired I am and whats happening the next 24 hours.
    I ususally just plod along. Pretty slowly if I am to be honest. However sometimes when the confidence is high and conditions are good (cool) I will pick up the pace.
    I am starting the 30 minute runs this evening and I intend picking up the pace for them as I've managed to do all the 28 minute ones and after finishing felt I could have pushed on a bit more, so planning on doing that in preparation for my 5k on Sunday. Will see how it pans out.
    I am currently using my wifes garmin (havent really it figured out yet) and have managed to figure out how to use the pace function where it can advise what your current pace is. My average over 28 minutes the last night was 6 minutes 33 seconds per KM. Which is slow but I know I can do better.

Again, I am just delighted to be able to run for 30 minutes, no matter what distance I cover. If you told me nine weeks ago I would be about to run a 5k I would have laughed.
    I suspect that I will want to run more distance in the same time so that will improve in the next few months as I train for a 10k.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

On week 8 day 2 tomorrow, and have managed a couple of 30 min jog at a very slow pace, did 4k in over 30 min BUT am finding still really tough, thought it might be feeling a bit easier at this stage! Any advice to keep the motivation going?? I do feel I am recovering quicker but thought I'd feel stronger than i do at the moment. Cheers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Redpunto wrote: »
    On week 8 day 2 tomorrow, and have managed a couple of 30 min jog at a very slow pace, did 4k in over 30 min BUT am finding still really tough, thought it might be feeling a bit easier at this stage! Any advice to keep the motivation going?? I do feel I am recovering quicker but thought I'd feel stronger than i do at the moment. Cheers :rolleyes:

That's a shame, I just finished W8D3 and really loving it. Could you possibly run any slower? I start out really slowly (power walkers overtake me!) and after a few minutes my body seems to find its own pace and I can run along without thinking about it. Also having music you enjoy really helps, the podcast I use has pretty bad music but when a half decent song comes on it definitely makes me want to run more enthusiastically. Otherwise just keep it up and your fitness can't help but increase I guess!

For anyone who has an iPod or iPhone, there's an app you can get from the App Store called C25K (Couch to 5k) by Alex Stankovic, it costs 2.39 euro. I've only used it very briefly, but it will let you play your own music from your iPod/iPhone.

It lets you pick which day of C25K you are on and it works out what the exercise is for that day (how long running v walking etc) and it gives you an audio prompt over the music saying stuff like "walk" then "run" or "cooldown" "warmup" etc.

Sounds like a good solution for those who don't want to keep checking their watch to see how long they've done, but want better/their own music on their iPod with their guidance software.

Hoping to begin the first day of C25K this weekend myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

For anyone who has an iPod or iPhone, there's an app you can get from the App Store called C25K (Couch to 5k) by Alex Stankovic, it costs 2.39 euro. I've only used it very briefly, but it will let you play your own music from your iPod/iPhone.

It lets you pick which day of C25K you are on and it works out what the exercise is for that day (how long running v walking etc) and it gives you an audio prompt over the music saying stuff like "walk" then "run" or "cooldown" "warmup" etc.

Sounds like a good solution for those who don't want to keep checking their watch to see how long they've done, but want better/their own music on their iPod with their guidance software.

Hoping to begin the first day of C25K this weekend myself.

Grandmaster, there's a couple of different podcasts that you don't have to pay for. Most people here use Carli's podcasts (there's a link in the first post). But I guess if you want to add your own music then the Alex podcasts might be worth it.

• Advertisement

Grandmaster, there's a couple of different podcasts that you don't have to pay for. Most people here use Carli's podcasts (there's a link in the first post). But I guess if you want to add your own music then the Alex podcasts might be worth it.

Aye, however I'm incredibly fickle about what music I listen to :) It's actually not a Podcast, it's an app. It does stuff like update your Facebook and Twitter status and tracks where you are in the programme.

Defeated on the 5 min jogs again :(, but I think I'm getting closer (why is there no 'hopeful face' icon??).
    Did 3min jog, did more of the first 5min jog than I had before, did the second 3min and then just went for it for the 5min. Took a stitch around 3.5 mins in, took a short breather, and went back to it and finished it. So definitely closer to the 5min, but not there yet.
    I'm not moving on to week 5 without doing a 5min jog at least once, so it'll be repeats for me for the next few runs. But I don't mind. I do an extra 15/20 mins walking to get home, so thats extra exercise too. And my primary goal is to increase my fitness and lose some weight. The chance to get to run for 5k is just a bonus to me.
    So roll on the weekend of the repeats of W4!!
    Also, good luck grandmaster! Let us know how you get on when you start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

That's a shame, I just finished W8D3 and really loving it. Could you possibly run any slower? I start out really slowly (power walkers overtake me!) and after a few minutes my body seems to find its own pace and I can run along without thinking about it. Also having music you enjoy really helps, the podcast I use has pretty bad music but when a half decent song comes on it definitely makes me want to run more enthusiastically. Otherwise just keep it up and your fitness can't help but increase I guess!

I'm the exact same as Skinny. I start off slowly and find a comfortable pace from there on in. If I feel a stitch coming on, I slow down and concentrate on my breathing. Infact I have this dull stitch that dictates my pace which is really good in a way!

Hi,
    Just done W9D1. Got around but didnt cover the 5K in 30 minutes. Just under it. I know I can pick up the pace but fear if I do I will conk out. I am going to put a lot more into it on Friday evening and see how I get on......

On a separate note I have been using this podcast (Free, you can download the tracks from this site also):
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html

The "music" isnt great but the BPM are almost bang on. You'll find you have very little in you own music collection that runs at those BPM consistently and for me this is why I would prefer to train to (for the moment at least while I am starting) tracks that have very distinctive BPM's.
    Over time I will use my own music collection but at that stage I wont be training or getting upto 5K, just running it!

kippy wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just done W9D1. Got around but didnt cover the 5K in 30 minutes. Just under it. I know I can pick up the pace but fear if I do I will conk out. I am going to put a lot more into it on Friday evening and see how I get on......

On a separate note I have been using this podcast (Free, you can download the tracks from this site also):
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html

The "music" isnt great but the BPM are almost bang on. You'll find you have very little in you own music collection that runs at those BPM consistently and for me this is why I would prefer to train to (for the moment at least while I am starting) tracks that have very distinctive BPM's.
    Over time I will use my own music collection but at that stage I wont be training or getting upto 5K, just running it!

Thats the one I used Kippy. And i agree with you....it did help me pace myself! Don't worry about not getting the 5k in 30 mins. You're doing really well to be almost there at this stage. Being able to run for 30 mins is the achievement right now. Well done! :)

dolliemix wrote: »
    Thats the one I used Kippy. And i agree with you....it did help me pace myself! Don't worry about not getting the 5k in 30 mins. You're doing really well to be almost there at this stage. Being able to run for 30 mins is the achievement right now. Well done! :)
    Oh don't get me wrong, I am delighted to be here! Running for 30 minutes in less than 9 weeks from nothing!

But I know that I can pace myself better and get the 5K done in less than 30 minutes. My aim for the 5K on Sunday is to come in between 29 and 31 minutes with less than 30 minutes being a absolutely magnificent run!

That would be fantastic Kippy.....Best of luck! Sounds like you've a good chance of getting it :)

Oh don't get me wrong, I am delighted to be here! Running for 30 minutes in less than 9 weeks from nothing!

But I know that I can pace myself better and get the 5K done in less than 30 minutes. My aim for the 5K on Sunday is to come in between 29 and 31 minutes with less than 30 minutes being a absolutely magnificent run!

Hey kip don't kill yourself on the first race! The achievement as dollie says is to get the 5K done, don't focus on the time/pace yet. That'll come with time.
    Best of luck for Sunday! xx

Hey kip don't kill yourself on the first race! The achievement as dollie says is to get the 5K done, don't focus on the time/pace yet. That'll come with time.
    Best of luck for Sunday! xx

Well I amnt killing myself at all at the moment and I am getting around in about 31. I know I can pull that down by a minute at least and not actually kill myself.
    Thats the plan anyway. Dont worry I wont be killing myself.

Are you going to run in it? Sunday at 12:30 in monivea.

Was just reading through the last few posts, good luck with the 5k on Sunday kippy!!! Big achievement to just finish it, and I've heard a lot of people say that the adrenaline on the day will carry you and speed you up as well (not that I have much experience in that department *cough* can't jog for 5 mins yet *cough*) :D
    But the very best of luck with it, I'm sure you'll do great, and make sure you let us know how it goes!

• Advertisement

Well I amnt killing myself at all at the moment and I am getting around in about 31. I know I can pull that down by a minute at least and not actually kill myself.
    Thats the plan anyway. Dont worry I wont be killing myself.

Are you going to run in it? Sunday at 12:30 in monivea.

Wow 31? I'm still around 35 or 36 i'd say but not worrying too much about my pace as long as I get each run I have to do done.
    Doubt I'll be able to do the race as my nan's funeral is on Saturday. Have fun though! (Would say we'll have to go for a jog together some time but i'd say you're a bit fast for me!) :D Best of luck xx

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

terlywerly wrote: »
    Big achievement to just finish it, and I've heard a lot of people say that the adrenaline on the day will carry you and speed you up as well!
    It's very true! My first 5k (Rathfarnham 5k, 2008) had a downhill start and a combination of the adrenaline and the crazy fast start put me through the first mile in just over 9 minutes when I'd been training at 11-12 min/mile pace...

Was just reading through the last few posts, good louck with the 5k on Sunday kippy!!! Big achievement to just finish it, and I've heard a lot of people say that the adrenaline on the day will carry you and speed you up as well (not that I have much experience in that department *cough* can't jog for 5 mins yet *cough*) :D
    But the very best of luck with it, I'm sure you'll do great, and make sure you let us know how it goes!

Hey its all relative terly, jogging even 3 mins is better than nothing and its more than you were doing before. If you try and relax into the run and take some of the pressure off yourself maybe that'll help. As in instead of saying ok I'll need to do 5 mins straight and then being annoyed that you couldn't do it, go out and break it up into segments in your head. Start with saying to yourself i'll go for a 1 min jog, at the end of the 1min do another minute etc etc uo until 5 mins. Don't feel ashamed or embarrased for not being able to do it as fast as other people. Take it at your own pace and repeat it as many times as you need to. Comparing yourself to others is futile as we're all different. I had trouble last week doing the 4mile and only was able to do two. But I'll get back out there next week and try again.
    Its the getting up off the couch and out the door thats the hardest part but the greatest achievement of it all! :D

Hey its all relative terly, jogging even 3 mins is better than nothing and its more than you were doing before. If you try and relax into the run and take some of the pressure off yourself maybe that'll help. As in instead of saying ok I'll need to do 5 mins straight and then being annoyed that you couldn't do it, go out and break it up into segments in your head. Start with saying to yourself i'll go for a 1 min jog, at the end of the 1min do another minute etc etc uo until 5 mins. Don't feel ashamed or embarrased for not being able to do it as fast as other people. Take it at your own pace and repeat it as many times as you need to. Comparing yourself to others is futile as we're all different. I had trouble last week doing the 4mile and only was able to do two. But I'll get back out there next week and try again.
    Its the getting up off the couch and out the door thats the hardest part but the greatest achievement of it all! :D
    Sorry to hear about your nan brainy.......

Totally agree with that post. As I said, only a couple of months ago I wasnt able to run five minutes but gradually I've managed to build it up. The same for almost everyone on this thread.

Rainbow, am hoping there is some form of boost of the start alright. I am told the course is relatively flat so no hills to worry about and by the same token I know a lot of peopel running so hopefully there'll be a boost there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You'll be fine, best of luck on Saturday :)

Thanks a mill BN, that really helped xx
    I don't think I've been putting pressure on myself per se, I think its just I've been a bit disappointed. Probably because I got through the first 3 weeks ok, and managed to do the runs. But this week is different. I know I will get there eventually, and I have no problem repeating till I can do it. I'll get there in time and I'll look back and think 'How was a 5 min jog so hard' :D
    Definitely getting up and out there is the biggest achievement though, especially for me, but once I actually go out the door its grand. I actually enjoy it! And I never thought I'd say that. And when I started I told myself I wasn't doing this as a race against the clock, I knew realistically that 9 weeks wouldn't be enough time to get me to 5k lol. Really I'm doing it to improve my fitness (to whatever I can) and to lose some weight and tone up. And its definitely working.
    The way I see it is, if I have to stay on week 4 forever (and that's a bit of a stretch realistically) I have more toned legs and a much more toned bum and for that alone its worth it :D;)
    Thanks for taking the time to write that though, I do appreciate it, especially with all you have going on at the moment x

Also, good luck grandmaster! Let us know how you get on when you start :)

Am kind of gagging to give this a go I have to admit. Aiming to don my monk's cloak tomorrow so no-one will recognise me try to jog/succeed to wobble as I attempt this.

My Asics Kayano's thought they had it bad with me walking about 13-14 miles in them last weekend. They ain't seen nothing yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

hi to all and fair play to all for getting out this week your all flying it now!!!!

well i got out and did w9d2 on tuesday night didnt go too badly have to say no stitch so thats huge for me anyway!!! ran about 22 minutes and then my OH stopped as he got a massive stitch he just couldnt run through any longer. i stopped with him as he has the pod cast on his ipod,i felt bad going on without him and jaysus i needed the break!!! anyway we walked for about 1 minute with the pod cast on pause and then took off for the last 8 mins and glad to say i did it all!

im starting to feel a bit better about the long runs now and am getting more confident with each one. while i may not be running the lot of it yet im getting to about 26-28 minsin total so im happy enough with the progress im making. cant get out to do w9d3 until tomorrow or sunday morning so hopefully that iwll go well and then i plan on just continuing the same runs unitl i can do the full 30 mins without stopping.

after that who knows but i am so glad that i started this 9 weeks ago. i cant believe that i am running almost 30 mins when i could barely manage the 1 min runs on week 1!!! theres a great sense of avhievement when i do each run and i am i have to admit enjoying getting out and off the couch!!:D

Congrats on being nearly finished! Try and find a running track for your lap of honour at the end of your W9D3, like I did hehe!
    after that who knows but i am so glad that i started this 9 weeks ago. i cant believe that i am running almost 30 mins when i could barely manage the 1 min runs on week 1!!! theres a great sense of avhievement when i do each run and i am i have to admit enjoying getting out and off the couch!!:D

*Cough* Come over to the dark side itsallaboutme! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055935466 Join us in our cult of 10K :D

• Advertisement

Am kind of gagging to give this a go I have to admit. Aiming to don my monk's cloak tomorrow so no-one will recognise me try to jog/succeed to wobble as I attempt this.

My Asics Kayano's thought they had it bad with me walking about 13-14 miles in them last weekend. They ain't seen nothing yet :D
    The only piece of advice I can give you is, if you come back from W1D1 feeling like you're about to die and are purple in the face from the effort - don't decide to give up there and then. Try it for a few runs and see. Nothing was as hard for me as that first jog. My body was in total shock for days after lol everything ached!
    But once you get into the swing of things its absolutely brilliant! :D
    im starting to feel a bit better about the long runs now and am getting more confident with each one. while i may not be running the lot of it yet im getting to about 26-28 minsin total so im happy enough with the progress im making. cant get out to do w9d3 until tomorrow or sunday morning so hopefully that iwll go well and then i plan on just continuing the same runs unitl i can do the full 30 mins without stopping.

Congrats and good luck with W9D3!!! I can only imagine how great it must feel to be so close to finishing the program, well done! I'm heading out tonight (hopefully if the thunder clouds behave themselves) to do my first repeat day of W4. Feeling more content in general this week. Could it be something to do with the fact that I am sitting here in jeans I haven't been able to fit into in 2 years?? Maybe :D but its a confidence booster and a motivator and as I said before I'll keep repeating till I can do it right, and then move on.
    Feck, country will be full of mad joggers by the end of this :D

Advertisement