Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

Im not chancing going out tonight either, especially when it's dark, I just don't feel safe! So it's the trampette for me tonight!

I have time to go out in daylight tomorrow so unless there's extreme torrential rain/heavy snow, I will be out running! I'm dying to get back into it and finish W1, I have a feeling at this stage I'm going to end up repeating W1 but no worries I'll get there in the end!:D

Oh I've signed up for the Flora mini marathon as well, I've done it for about the last 4 years it's always good craic and this could well be the first year I do it faster than a walking pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Im not chancing going out tonight either, especially when it's dark, I just don't feel safe! So it's the trampette for me tonight!

I have time to go out in daylight tomorrow so unless there's extreme torrential rain/heavy snow, I will be out running! I'm dying to get back into it and finish W1, I have a feeling at this stage I'm going to end up repeating W1 but no worries I'll get there in the end!:D

Oh I've signed up for the Flora mini marathon as well, I've done it for about the last 4 years it's always good craic and this could well be the first year I do it faster than a walking pace!

Ooh a trampette! I've heard they're really good! Where did u get yours? Would definitely be handy for those rainy days

Ooh a trampette! I've heard they're really good! Where did u get yours? Would definitely be handy for those rainy days

It is good it is so handy for times when you just can't go outside. I usually listen to music while I'm on it and sometimes TV too. When I first started using it though, it made me feel a bit sicky:o I'm used to it now though. (And wear a good sports bra!!!:eek:)

I got mine in Argos, €30 IIRC. Could have been a bit more, I'll go check that out....

EDIT: My one was actually €39.99 but there is one for cheaper, page 232 in the Argos catalogue and you can see them here!

It is good it is so handy for times when you just can't go outside. I usually listen to music while I'm on it and sometimes TV too. When I first started using it though, it made me feel a bit sicky:o I'm used to it now though. (And wear a good sports bra!!!:eek:)

I got mine in Argos, €30 IIRC. Could have been a bit more, I'll go check that out....

EDIT: My one was actually €39.99 but there is one for cheaper, page 232 in the Argos catalogue and you can see them here!

Yep a sports bra, thats the only thing I'm missing from my running gear. Mite go into town tomorrow and buy one and buy the trampette too! This week has been an expensive one!! Totally worth it tho! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Yep a sports bra, thats the only thing I'm missing from my running gear. Mite go into town tomorrow and buy one and buy the trampette too! This week has been an expensive one!! Totally worth it tho! :D

Not sure if there is a champion sport near you but I bought 3 shock absorber sports bras in Champion Sports in Dundrum yesterday. They were reduced from 35 to 20 euros each.

I saw people jogging in January too and thought they were absolute nutcases....until I was doing Week 3 in New York and went out in blizzard conditions.....(but had to turn back)!

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    Not sure if there is a champion sport near you but I bought 3 shock absorber sports bras in Champion Sports in Dundrum yesterday. They were reduced from 35 to 20 euros each.

I saw people jogging in January too and thought they were absolute nutcases....until I was doing Week 3 in New York and went out in blizzard conditions.....(but had to turn back)!

Ooh Thank u! Will hop onto their website there to check where there's one in Galway :D

There's one in Eyre Square...free parking in town 2moro morning still I think. Tho if the weather is bad I'll wait till the weekend and go to Mahon Pt.
    Ooh its Holy Thursday, April Fools, 1st of April and a full moon all in one :D

There's one in Eyre Square...free parking in town 2moro morning still I think. Tho if the weather is bad I'll wait till the weekend and go to Mahon Pt.
    Ooh its Holy Thursday, April Fools, 1st of April and a full moon all in one :D

not sure if the reduction just applied to the dundrum branch so maybe give them a call

thats freaky that all those days are coming together. Defo for a run in the evening tomorrow. I love full moons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Put my name down too guys. Big lurked on food diary forum - find you all so inspirational with great ideas. Am doing ww myself and almost at goal (again). I keep thinking i'll do a diary.

Anyway, inspired by Melia and others, downloaded the c225 app for iPhone about 3 months ago! Finally started it on Monday, in the rain and snow. I was cursing you Melia! But, I did it and the sense of personal achievement I felt was immense. Did w1d2 yesterday(wed) and really enjoyed it. Lack of snow helped!

I have set a goal of the Simon community fun run in October which I think is about 8k. I am really excited because I feel like I've never achieved anything with hobbies/sport etc and would love to feel good about myself in a sporty way!

Am glad someone mentioned bras, cos my boobs are killing me so will look in champion as soon as I can! Also need good runners so will try get to one of those places soon.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, ideas and inspiration - even though you didn't know you were doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

Hi girls

Did my 20 minute run (w5d3) this morning first thing. Weather wasnt great but what harm its done now. I paced myself weirdly in the first few minutes I was trying to conserve myself or something and took a whole weird stride on but i got into after about 8 mins.Last few minutes I was getting a bit tired but I think that was cos mentally I knew i had only a small while left.

Week 6 on saturday.. I am going every second day now so my weeks are kind of getting shorter but when i was talking longer rest periods, I was losing motivation.

Weigh in on lunch with nutritionist, hope i drop a few lbs even though I am setting myself up for a fall cos its only been 1lb the last few weeks

• Advertisement

Hi girls

Did my 20 minute run (w5d3) this morning first thing. Weather wasnt great but what harm its done now. I paced myself weirdly in the first few minutes I was trying to conserve myself or something and took a whole weird stride on but i got into after about 8 mins.Last few minutes I was getting a bit tired but I think that was cos mentally I knew i had only a small while left.

Week 6 on saturday.. I am going every second day now so my weeks are kind of getting shorter but when i was talking longer rest periods, I was losing motivation.

Weigh in on lunch with nutritionist, hope i drop a few lbs even though I am setting myself up for a fall cos its only been 1lb the last few weeks

Yay well done!

I often find that I don't quite get into a comfortable pace until 1 or 2k into it.

Good luck at weigh in :)

thanks dolliemix! its great to think in anohter few weeks i wont even need to have a podcast, ill just be running continuous

Hi girls

U did the 20 min run!! Fantastic!! Thats such a great achievement-you should be v proud! :)
    I have that at the end of next week. Feeling a lot better about it actually (must be cos of the great day yesterday!). Did my run this morning, in the beautiful sunshine again :D Got a few funny looks from the taxi drivers waiting at the rank-quite funny!

Its so great to read everyone's progress on this thread.

I did Week 9 Day 2 tonight. I have only one more day of this wonderful program left :(

I didn't use the itunes podcast tonight for the first time so I'd nobody to tell me to stop after 30 mins. On Tues I did 4.8k when I thought I'd done 5k, so tonight I was determined to get the 5k. I ran a little extra to the 5k route I have measured by running a bit into an estate and out again, just to make sure I did 5k. Getting my breath back to normal after the uphills was tough and I could feel little twinges on my achilles so major stretching tonight while I'm watching tv.

Here was the result on imapmyrun

5.58k /3.48 miles
    40mins

Very happy with distance but lol at my time. I am such a slow ass :D

But I thought about it after. I got my TOTM today so good on me for going out when I would have used that as an excuse to stay in 2 months ago.

Because its totm I cry at the drop of a hat. So I was getting a bit emotional earlier thinking about how far I'd come and how I've changed in so many ways in the last three months. I've been off cigarettes for three months today as well!!! All thats left is to shift all this god damn weight so I can run faster....:):D:):D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

right....I'm reading this and I'm intruiged....

However, there are a few factors to consider...I'm a poor student i.e. cannot afford good runners, gear etc, and right now, the thought of running around my town gives me a sick stomach.

I know i shouldn't be, but I would be MORTO! :eek:

Anyone else thinking of starting it and want to share some thoughts?

Ooh Thank u! Will hop onto their website there to check where there's one in Galway :D

I lol'd!:D

Did you manage to 'hop' in to town yesterday and get one after 'hopping' on the website to check them out?:p

It's gas cos now I've thought of Easter bunnies hopping as well as the trampette connection!:pac:

lila44 wrote: »
    right....I'm reading this and I'm intruiged....

However, there are a few factors to consider...I'm a poor student i.e. cannot afford good runners, gear etc, and right now, the thought of running around my town gives me a sick stomach.

I know i shouldn't be, but I would be MORTO! :eek:

Anyone else thinking of starting it and want to share some thoughts?

I was mortified to begin with as well, I've just (finally) finished week 1 and to be honest at this stage I'm just like feck it, I don't care if I look stupid, everybody looks a bit strained when they first start running and it will be worth it in the end!

I'm also a poor student:(
    But if you can at all invest in a good pair of runners, all the other running gear can be cheap stuff - for me at the moment it's just cheap jogging bottoms and t-shirts from Penney's and an old coat, nothing fancy required at all!

Melia has links in the very 1st post to good podcasts as well so they'll help ease you in as well:)

Go for it! Good luck!

Finally completed W1 yesterday! Going to repeat the week again though because there was such a wide gap between all the sessions.

Oh and maybe it's just me but everytime I see another runner(and I've noticed loads the last while) unless they look really experienced, I always think hmm I wonder are they doing the Couch 2 5k as well?!:p

I lol'd!:D

Did you manage to 'hop' in to town yesterday and get one after 'hopping' on the website to check them out?:p

It's gas cos now I've thought of Easter bunnies hopping as well as the trampette connection!:pac:

Haha was reading your post and going whats the problem with hop?? Does it really deserve a lol? Until I read the last line hehe :D:D Didn't make that connection when I posted it! :D

So...our internet was on the blink last night so I couldn't log on. Here's the post I wrote last night after dolliemix's post, was just about to press submit when the internet went down grrr!

U really are fantastic dolliemix! An inspiration and thank you for all the encouragement!
    It was a gorgeous day out today, really sunny and warm-ish (well 10degrees-warmer than it has been anyway!). I went out in my new runners today for the first time and its amazing the difference they make! I'm sure its partly psychological and partly orthopedic but I definitely found the run easier today, the soles have gel cushions in them which gives me more bounce which I guess makes it easier to jog!

I headed into Champion sports today and they didn't have the sports bras, just exercise top thingys that were 20euro so I don't know if thats what u bought dollie? The sales assistant told me that they had a small bit of support but prob wouldn't be classed as a sports bra (and wouldn't have enough support for jogging-tho I don't really have much to support hehe! Got one in M&S later for €24 (a back size smaller woohoo-I've lost loads from my back apparently!)

Bought a book in easons that gives me a month long programme for toning up my stomach and abdominal muscles. ('Firm abs, flat tummy' by Ann Marie Millard). Which I need badly now that I'm closer to goal, I don't have a lot of strength in my stomach muscles. (and I hate hate hate going to the gym so need to have a simple program to follow at home!)

They give u things to do each day like stretching/resistence training/aerobics etc. Will prob start a fitness log in the fitness forum and will post what I do each day in case anyone wants to do it too! I'll have a toned stomach in a month I hope!

So that book told me to get a trampette, skipping rope and balance ball. Got the skipping rope and ball in Champion sports and will pop into Argos tomorrow (or in Cork over the weekend) and get the trampette. (I also bought a sports hat to wear instead of my bobbly, pigtail hat which doesn't look right with all my proper sports gear!). 5K here I come! (JUst after totting up my jogging time today, in my head i've been jogging 5 mins and comparing that to the 20mins is a bit scary, but in week 4 which i'm doing at the mo you jog 16mins altogether, so its not such a big leap.)

Congrats again Dolliemix on getting this far! And best of luck with starting the 10k plan! I assume there's no podcasts for that is there? You just run for a certain time each day, right?

Didn't get trampette yet, so no hopping for me yet :D Will get it over the weekend in Cork. Going to start the plan on Tuesday or Wednesday next week I'd say. No sense in starting it before the Easter weekend! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Euggghhh.. still raining. Not going out in that.

Thanks Brainy Neuron!

Good for you getting all that gear to put the finishing touches on your new slim and toned body!!! It's exciting when you're this motivated. Running for 16 mins in one session is a brilliant achievement and i love the way C25k kind of have you doing it without you knowing! lol!

There is a follow-on to the podcast I was using for the C25k. One builds you up to 8k and the other builds you up to 10k. I was all set to use that one but then Rainbow Kirby posted on my log and suggested I do the Hal Higdon program. I posted about it on the Athletics Forum here.

I'm going to take on board the advice I got from Rainbow Kirby and the people who responded to me in that thread and continue with the long runs.

To be honest it would feel like a step back at this stage, if I were to go back running 4 mins walking 1 etc so I'll be following the Hal Higdon 10k for Novice Program from next week but I think I might still use the music from the podcasts from time to time.

• Advertisement

Ok, I'm so bloody bored stuck indoors alone I think I'll go for a run. I don't wanna!!! I'm so unmotivated... I'm tired. I'll do it though. I've already got my gear on so I might as well.

Ok, I'm so bloody bored stuck indoors alone I think I'll go for a run. I don't wanna!!! I'm so unmotivated... I'm tired. I'll do it though. I've already got my gear on so I might as well.

yay!! You'll be so happy after! I'm looking forward to the ....'I'm so glad I did that' post! :D

hi gals. on a non running day today, gutted!! no idea what I should do with myself. i could go to that old gym of mine but ugh!!

also, went to get my new sneakers today and John Buckleys was closed in cork was so annoyed cos I drove in town esp and parked in multi storey. I was a right grumpy bum walking back to the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

I got my TOTM today so good on me for going out when I would have used that as an excuse to stay in 2 months ago.

Weird - I got mine yesterday too. I didn't react quite as well though! Good on you.

yay!! You'll be so happy after! I'm looking forward to the ....'I'm so glad I did that' post! :D

Yea, so I lost my keys when I was out. And spent an hour walking up and down the quays looking for them. Luckily my friend had a spare key but I've lost my door buzzer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Yea, so I lost my keys when I was out. And spent an hour walking up and down the quays looking for them. Luckily my friend had a spare key but I've lost my door buzzer!!!

Feck, feck and double feck!!!!!! How much does a new one cost or more importantly when can you get a new one? Poor you!!!

I really really want to start up this program, am at home alone now and thinking about stuff (not good) and would love to go for a walk but my sciatic (left leg) and my (right) knee are both acting up and the knee is a kinda new thing so not sure what to do, but all I wanna do is run and forget the stuff!!!!! Feel like a fecking cripple :(

Can't wait until I can run 5k and I will defo post my log on here for the support... I will do it soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

Pem, Im a long-time back pain sufferer...thank god Ive been grand now for the last few months, have strenghtened back with swimming....But a few years back I put out both my hip joints and a disc in my lower back! I have an amazing chap I go to who would put you straight...he's a physio for the Kilkenny hurling team and only cost 30 euro...Ive gone to loads of people and he is by far the best....ill PM you if you want the number!

Pembily wrote: »
    Feck, feck and double feck!!!!!! How much does a new one cost or more importantly when can you get a new one? Poor you!!!

Dunno. Luckily I'm off school next week so not in huge need of one... But is a pain in the bloody ass! I had them in my pocket 100% sure, then put my hoodie down on one of the brick seat things at end of docklands opposite the o2. I did my 60/ 90 sec intervals up & down. No one was around but this old couple. Put it on, checked my pocket and it was gone! Though maybe it swung out, but they're deep pockets. Searched for 20 min, asked people, walked up the quays and over to my friend so I could get some water & shelter from rain. She came out then and we walked back down, searched again & walked up again. Nothing. :confused:

I dunno if I have to get on to the agency for a new buzzer. Can get a new key cut and neighbours will buzz me in. Gonna put letter in Metro and ring all the cafes in docklands & Garda stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rainbowkid

Just in from W1D2 now, there's a grand stretch in the evenin's :P

Went well but I think I need new runners. Have a pair of Asics Cumulus but have them over a year and a half now and there's no lovely cushiony bounce left in them. I didn't get a gait analysis done when I get those either so gonna try and get one done tomorrow and see exactly what kind of runner I need.

In ways I'm so glad I live in a quiet country area because I was walkin/dancin to my music, singing out loud and clappin along to some catchy songs on the podcast (along with some dodgy ones) and I just can't help but groove along. If anyone saw I'd be morto but it's just me and the road so it's all good :D

• Advertisement

Hehe sorry for the uberly enthusiastic last post! I should really have edited it a lil bit :D I guess I just have never felt this way about exercise before (liked walking but didn't LOVE it or anything!) and its given me such a boost this week, especially with getting under the stone mark.

Lila I really would urge you to get the right runners before you start jogging. I'm a poor-ish student too (only working part-time) but I think the shoes are so important, you don't want to do yourself an injury down the line with cheap runners. Maybe ask your parents to contribute half?
    I've been doing the programme for 4 weeks and I'm still a little embarrassed when proper joggers/runners pass me or when I see someone I know! But to be honest that feeling gets less as the weeks go by and as you get into longer jogging times. And what would happen if someone saw you? They'd just be thinking fair play to her for getting out and jogging, I wish I could do that too!)

Dollie thanks for the advice. I know its ages away yet but I kinda want to be prepared! I'll be finishing the 9th week around the same time as my exams so I want to make sure I keep it up and not just give up cos I'm stressed etc!

The runners that I bought are Brooks Glycerin 8. I went for a walk in the rain this morning and they did take in a little water above the toe area as its a mesh thingy there. Might wear the Lidl runners on wet days in future. When I got back from the walk I had a look inside the runner to look for a tag to see if it was possible at some stage to wash them and found this printed on the sole: (Dedicated to all the C25K-ers out there!)

'"The Koru is an important symbol to the Maori in New Zealand. It is the name given to the newborn, unferling fern frond and symbolises new life, growth, strength, and peace. The Koru represents renewal and hope for the future"

:)

Advertisement