Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

jw297 wrote: »
    Finally got to do W2D3 yesterday, I managed it but only just. Planned my route very poorly and the last THREE runs were uphill! Had to pause the mp3 on the last one and wait until I was on the flat, I just couldn't manage it. Think I will move on to W3 this week, but make sure that I'm not running uphill too much. Haven't been getting stitches anyway, not eating for a few hours before definitely helps, as does deep breathing during the walks.
    One thing that was very surprising yesterday - I got up early especially to do the C25K, and I never in my life thought I would get out of bed early to run! Big changes!!
    Well done!! The hills are feckers alright, I had many a tough run because of them. The most recent route I've been using has only one small hill, so its great.
    I have never gotten up early to run lol it mustn't effect me that way. I jog late at night though, usually after 9.30 and generally closer to 10. I like when its quiet and getting cooler. And less chance of people seeing you :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

W1D3 complete. So I've officially completed Week 1 of C25K. I thought today was a bit easier and I definitely caught my breath a lot faster after the jog/run portions were over than over the past two days. I thought I was jogging fast enough until I seen my shadow on the ground and I realised I wasn't looking so spritely after all. But I guess that doesn't matter.

I wasn't sure if I was going to do C25K today. Again I didn't sleep that well last night and woke unreasonably early again this morning. Felt a bit dodgy at work this morning after I had my breakfast but then felt better as the day went on. I could feel myself making excuses not to go out on Day 3 today but I went through with it anyway. My anti-blister socks arrived and I wore them but it seems it's too late to stop the blister forming on the side of my foot. Ah well, it's nothing I haven't seen before.

So that is Week 1 complete. I'm not sure of the guidelines but I'm thinking about leaving it until Saturday morning and starting W2 then which will be one week exactly from starting.

I know from doing cardio before in the gym, if I left it longer than 4 days between cardio workouts, I could feel a drop off in my fitness and found it harder the next day back. So I'll keep that in mind. I definitely felt a bit fitter today but I was kind of tired so I wasn't exactly full of energy either.

I run in a small park near where I live and there's a bit of an incline in it in places which is handy enough. Definitely no hills though!

W1D3 complete. So I've officially completed Week 1 of C25K. I thought today was a bit easier and I definitely caught my breath a lot faster after the jog/run portions were over than over the past two days. I thought I was jogging fast enough until I seen my shadow on the ground and I realised I wasn't looking so spritely after all. But I guess that doesn't matter.

I wasn't sure if I was going to do C25K today. Again I didn't sleep that well last night and woke unreasonably early again this morning. Felt a bit dodgy at work this morning after I had my breakfast but then felt better as the day went on. I could feel myself making excuses not to go out on Day 3 today but I went through with it anyway. My anti-blister socks arrived and I wore them but it seems it's too late to stop the blister forming on the side of my foot. Ah well, it's nothing I haven't seen before.

So that is Week 1 complete. I'm not sure of the guidelines but I'm thinking about leaving it until Saturday morning and starting W2 then which will be one week exactly from starting.

I know from doing cardio before in the gym, if I left it longer than 4 days between cardio workouts, I could feel a drop off in my fitness and found it harder the next day back. So I'll keep that in mind. I definitely felt a bit fitter today but I was kind of tired so I wasn't exactly full of energy either.

I run in a small park near where I live and there's a bit of an incline in it in places which is handy enough. Definitely no hills though!
    Well done grandmaster! First week over! The anti blister socks are great once you get a clean start with them.
    Heading out for night 2 of the repeat of W4 in a little while :eek: hopefully it'll go well

terlywerly wrote: »
    Well done grandmaster! First week over! The anti blister socks are great once you get a clean start with them.
    Heading out for night 2 of the repeat of W4 in a little while :eek: hopefully it'll go well

You are doing well, just stick at it. I thought about going out later tonight when it's cooler but the park was quiet enough around 5.30 surprisingly. I said to myself if the anti-blister socks were there, I'd have to go out in them :)

I completed Day 1 very early on Saturday morning and by 7.30am, I was finished. I have to admit it was very nice being out early when it was completely quiet and it was lovely and sunny. If you can drag your ass out of bed on Saturday morning, I'd recommend it :)

If you can drag your ass out of bed on Saturday morning, I'd recommend it :)
    I haven't felt the inclination yet... but never say never :D
    I prefer the evening cos its cooler and usually very quiet. Early mornings never really appealed to me. I don't know how I'm gonna get changed for going tonight - I was out reading in my garden yesterday and didn't realise how strong the sun was and I am so badly burnt on my two shoulders, forearms and chest. I'll have to find something loose to wear on top and suffer the pain for my stupidity :(

• Advertisement

I haven't felt the inclination yet... but never say never :D
    I prefer the evening cos its cooler and usually very quiet. Early mornings never really appealed to me. I don't know how I'm gonna get changed for going tonight - I was out reading in my garden yesterday and didn't realise how strong the sun was and I am so badly burnt on my two shoulders, forearms and chest. I'll have to find something loose to wear on top and suffer the pain for my stupidity :(

Yeah the sun was strong enough this evening. I was going to wear a cap but decided against it and soon wished I had. It was very strong, even at 5.30pm but then again I was only out in it for about 25 minutes so it wasn't too bad. Looking outside now it's not too strong so I'd say you should be ok.

But then again the Biggest Loser is about to start... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

i really need to start this!!! need to get fit.....

Come on motivation..hit me!:D

offaly1 wrote: »

Doooooooooooooooo it!
    Seriously, it is a fantastic programme. I didn't think I'd ever be able to jog at all, and now I can jog for 5 mins without stopping.
    It's a gradual increase week by week, and by the end of the first week you will already be enjoying it and feeling inclined to carry on. I actually find that once I'm out the door and actually doing it, even if I can't do absolutely every jog, I still enjoy the exercise. And 5/6 weeks ago, I was so not that person. At all :D

If you went out and did it now you'd be done in half an hour. Just think half an hour from now if you're still sitting on the computer or watching the TV and you haven't done anything. You'd have it over and done with by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd be similar - during the summer my favourite time to run is at about 9pm. Got sunburnt as well this afternoon, and I just threw on some cooling aftersun on the burnt bits and wore a very loose wicking t-shirt and shorts for my run at ~8.30pm. Occupational hazard! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

If you went out and did it now you'd be done in half an hour. Just think half an hour from now if you're still sitting on the computer or watching the TV and you haven't done anything. You'd have it over and done with by then.

ha! i had already done my cycle, but I need to do something different..., this could be the ideal. must down load stuff at weekend, and set myself to start monday evening!! fingers crossed people:)

Well I'm back from a bad run :(
    I didn't think the weather was too bad (allergy wise) today, but I was very wrong. I suffer from a lot of seasonal allergies, along with major sinus issues, and I hadn't really been far from the house today until I went to do my jog. On my warm up walk I thought the air felt very heavy and I got that familiar slightly wheezy feeling as I was walking. Managed to do the 3 min jog, about the first 3 mins of the 5 min jog, maybe 2 mins of the second 3 min jog, and maybe 3.5 mins of the final jog. Disappointed, but totally out of my control today. I had taken all my allergy/sinus medication today, but it was just that type of evening. If I had done any more I think I would have had breathing difficulties, I know I pushed myself as far as I could go tonight. I think if I have a free evening tomorrow I'll do a redo.
    I wore a loose wicking tshirt for the jog too Rainbow Kirby (bought some new ones as a treat on Monday - running gear is a treat, now I know I'm in too deep :D), and plastered the aftersun on again, but even so, as I was jogging I could feel the top rubbing off the sunburn, and my sports bra rubbing off the shoulders <ouch> :( so that didn't help matters either.
    Ah well, there's always other evenings :)

No worries that you had a bad run, at least you went out and did some exercise. Better than sitting in on the couch with a box of Pringles! You can just try again today or tomorrow.

One thing that I realised yesterday was that I'd find this jogging a whole lot easier if I wan't carrying around all this extra weight. I could really notice it yesterday all of a sudden. I became aware of all the extra weight I was carrying and I thought to myself it would be so much easier to do this if I could just get rid of this flab.
    (bought some new ones as a treat on Monday - running gear is a treat, now I know I'm in too deep :D)

I can see me getting to this point myself too :) I've already bought new runners and I also bought these things called "skins". They're tight shorts that you wear instead of undies and have them under your shorts/tracksuit bottoms. They're comfortable and they stop any chafing or anything like that which can be common on the longer distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I wore a loose wicking tshirt for the jog too Rainbow Kirby (bought some new ones as a treat on Monday - running gear is a treat, now I know I'm in too deep :D), and plastered the aftersun on again, but even so, as I was jogging I could feel the top rubbing off the sunburn, and my sports bra rubbing off the shoulders <ouch> :( so that didn't help matters either.
    Ah well, there's always other evenings :)

I got sunburnt a few weeks ago form sitting in the garden as well, I got some spray stuff in the chemist. Not aftersun, it's some kind of "hydrogel". Cleared it up fairly fast, turned it brown. Would recommend that :)

ha! i had already done my cycle, but I need to do something different..., this could be the ideal. must down load stuff at weekend, and set myself to start monday evening!! fingers crossed people:)

Why wait till Monday? :)

I mean, download the stuff tonight and get yourself setup and ready to go and head out before then. The longer you leave it, the more chances you'll think up an excuse not to go. I should know, I used to do that all the time and still do.

I stared my C25K programme last Saturday morning at 6.50am. And it was brilliant. It was so quiet, no traffic and I was just out in a park by myself. I seen 3 people out for a very early morning walk and that was it. It was very enjoyable. Almost a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

Just back from W5D1, and it went quite well. The last 5 minute run was hard going, but got through it. I think W5D2 is going to be quite hard with the 8 minute runs, and I can't even contemplate the 20 minute run on Day 3, eek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

chickenpoo wrote: »
    Just back from W5D1, and it went quite well. The last 5 minute run was hard going, but got through it. I think W5D2 is going to be quite hard with the 8 minute runs, and I can't even contemplate the 20 minute run on Day 3, eek!

no one who has ever done the 20min run went in confidently but you will get through it, the after feeling is unreal!!

No worries that you had a bad run, at least you went out and did some exercise. Better than sitting in on the couch with a box of Pringles! You can just try again today or tomorrow.
    I think I'm annoyed cos it was totally out of my control. I know now I'm capable of doing the 5 min jogs, but it was the weather and my allergies that stopped me :mad:
    One thing that I realised yesterday was that I'd find this jogging a whole lot easier if I wan't carrying around all this extra weight. I could really notice it yesterday all of a sudden. I became aware of all the extra weight I was carrying and I thought to myself it would be so much easier to do this if I could just get rid of this flab.
    I found it quite hard when I started too, but as the weight has come off it has definitely gotten that bit easier. And I'm sure when I reach my ideal weight it'll be even easier again. 2lb to my 11 stone goal!! And then onward!!!
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I got sunburnt a few weeks ago form sitting in the garden as well, I got some spray stuff in the chemist. Not aftersun, it's some kind of "hydrogel". Cleared it up fairly fast, turned it brown. Would recommend that :)
    Feckin sunburn is the killer. There I was thinking how it was such a nice day for reading and I end up burnt :( Its not too bad today though, I've had the OH keep putting the aftersun on it, and my left hand side and my chest is mostly back to normal now. My right shoulder is in agony still though.
    chickenpoo wrote: »
    Well done chickenpoo! Glad to hear you're onto week 5. I'm gonna do one more repeat day of week 4 and I'll be joining you. Good luck with the 8 mins on the next day. I'm dreading the 20 min jog myself, but I'm sure when I finally do it, it'll feel great.
    no one who has ever done the 20min run went in confidently but you will get through it, the after feeling is unreal!!
    Any tips for us NSB?? :D

Feckin sunburn is the killer. There I was thinking how it was such a nice day for reading and I end up burnt :( Its not too bad today though, I've had the OH keep putting the aftersun on it, and my left hand side and my chest is mostly back to normal now. My right shoulder is in agony still though.

That's what I meant - the stuff is a burn gel, it'll clear up the burn. Seriously hop down to your chemist and try find it !! Aftersun afaik isn't as good at all!

That's what I meant - the stuff is a burn gel, it'll clear up the burn. Seriously hop down to your chemist and try find it !! Aftersun afaik isn't as good at all!
    I think I might ring the OH and ask him to pick some up on the way home, cheers! Aftersun was all I had in the house, all its probably doing is moisturising the area...
    Lesson learned for the summer: stay indoors where you are safe from allergies and sunburn. Venture out only to jog and do shopping :D
    I'm still stunned I didn't pass out last night between the pain of my shoulder and the inability to take a deep breath. I wish there was a magic cure for all my ailments :(

• Advertisement

Oh I've been there as well, it's agony :( I always manage to get sunburnt, last year I lathered on the cream on holidays diligently... except for my neck :rolleyes: Couldn't move my neck and was in complete and utter agony for a week!!
    Hope you get better soon !!!

I was just on the A/R/T forum and seen this book recommended. I think it covers training but more the mental training to get yourself believing you can complete a marathon.

I thought it might be interesting to those on this thread who are thinking about doing the C25K or who have completed it and who are thinking about going for longer distances.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Non-Runners-Marathon-Trainer-David-Whitsett/dp/1570281823/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276790646&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

I FINISHED C25K!!!! :D:D:D

I thought I wouldn't be able to do the 5 minute run.. and the 10 minute run... and the 20 minute run.. but I repeated a couple of days when I needed to and in the end I did it!! Good luck to everyone who's on their way, it's a great feeling of achievement :o

Congrats SP!!
    Bet you're on top of the world!!

( I really should go out this evening, haven't been since monday :o )

Congrats SP!!
    Bet you're on top of the world!!

( I really should go out this evening, haven't been since monday :o )

Yup.. and sweaty :D It's mega hot out there!

I FINISHED C25K!!!! :D:D:D

I thought I wouldn't be able to do the 5 minute run.. and the 10 minute run... and the 20 minute run.. but I repeated a couple of days when I needed to and in the end I did it!! Good luck to everyone who's on their way, it's a great feeling of achievement :o

You f*****r :P

Na, I'm only messing, well done. :)

You f*****r :P

Na, I'm only messing, well done. :)

Hehe, thanks :D The weeks fly by don't worry!

Hehe, thanks :D The weeks fly by don't worry!

I hope so. I need to be in shape for that ironman contest I've entered! Na, I haven't really entered it. Although I've an admiration for people who are that insanely fit. I was thinking about that yesterday and was realising that I was a long, long, long way from even being remotely close to that.

I hope so. I need to be in shape for that ironman contest I've entered! Na, I haven't really entered it. Although I've an admiration for people who are that insanely fit. I was thinking about that yesterday and was realising that I was a long, long, long way from even being remotely close to that.

Yeah it's crazy to realise that if you keep going you actually can increase your fitness. I always wondered how people jogging were able to do it.. practice it turns out! I now consider myself to be slightly-less-insanely-unfit :D You're not that far away, you're taking the first steps.. iron man within 12 months I'd say ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

finished w1d2 today and I actually think I enjoyed it. Definately got a great buzz after end even though I was almost ready to drop!

Looking forward to my next run!

Advertisement