Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oh man I kicked week 4 day 2's ASS!
    on w4d1 I had to take 30s breaks in the 5 min runs, but today I only took a break of 5 deep breaths long. Really enjoyed the first 3min run (never thought I'd hear that) and stopped counting to next break! and while the rest was tough I felt like I was really getting into the zone :cool: Nice and loose and even gait. Still have the legs-feel-like-lead issue but getting there
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have to admit I'm not loving the programme just yet. I've found myself almost talking myself out of it yesterday. Hopefully as time goes on I'll get hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Don't worry Grandmaster. I didn't really enjoy week 1 last time around.

I really pushed myself for the last 8 minutes today and I think that was the part I enjoyed - never (ever) thought I would hear myself saying this either.

Wrecked now so I better go to bed. All this running is making me tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

I FINISHED C25K!!!! :D:D:D

I thought I wouldn't be able to do the 5 minute run.. and the 10 minute run... and the 20 minute run.. but I repeated a couple of days when I needed to and in the end I did it!! Good luck to everyone who's on their way, it's a great feeling of achievement :o
    Congrats SP!!! Amazing achievement, well done.
    Are you gonna progress to the 10k?? :D
    JackieO wrote: »
    finished w1d2 today and I actually think I enjoyed it. Definately got a great buzz after end even though I was almost ready to drop!

Looking forward to my next run!
    Well done for getting out there and doing it, its a mad buzz to get it done isn't it? I never thought I could get excited about running, but I do! Amazing what a bit of exercise can do to the brain :)
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Oh man I kicked week 4 day 2's ASS!
    on w4d1 I had to take 30s breaks in the 5 min runs, but today I only took a break of 5 deep breaths long. Really enjoyed the first 3min run (never thought I'd hear that) and stopped counting to next break! and while the rest was tough I felt like I was really getting into the zone :cool: Nice and loose and even gait. Still have the legs-feel-like-lead issue but getting there
    :D
    Well done bluewolf, I have to say W4 kicked my ass not vice versa for some parts but it has improved on repeating (with last nights allergy fest being the exception).
    I got a burn spray too, it seems to have helped a good bit this evening :D
    I have to admit I'm not loving the programme just yet. I've found myself almost talking myself out of it yesterday. Hopefully as time goes on I'll get hooked.
    Oh you'll get there, and you won't even notice it happening. You'll look back and think 'But I always enjoyed running' ;)
    Are you gonna order that book from Amazon? It sounds good

terlywerly wrote: »

Oh you'll get there, and you won't even notice it happening. You'll look back and think 'But I always enjoyed running' ;)
    Are you gonna order that book from Amazon? It sounds good

I might do, although I'm supposed to be saving money. You?

• Advertisement

Yeah it's crazy to realise that if you keep going you actually can increase your fitness. I always wondered how people jogging were able to do it.. practice it turns out! I now consider myself to be slightly-less-insanely-unfit :D You're not that far away, you're taking the first steps.. iron man within 12 months I'd say ;)

Iron-Man in 12 months.

Michelinman currently :o

I might do, although I'm supposed to be saving money. You?
    I ordered it last night, it was only cheap and they were doing free delivery once you spend £25 so I ordered another book and a box set while I was at it. I'm supposed to be saving money too (unemployed, ah well).

I'll have to go out jogging tonight, and on Sunday. Got my exam results and got a 2.1 so I'm thrilled and am heading out tomorrow night to celebrate. Celebrate = very bad for you food and very bad for you alcohol so my body will have to get all the exercise it can in before then, and after. Even though I haven't jogged hungover yet.... :D

I ordered it last night, it was only cheap and they were doing free delivery once you spend £25 so I ordered another book and a box set while I was at it. I'm supposed to be saving money too (unemployed, ah well).

I'll have to go out jogging tonight, and on Sunday. Got my exam results and got a 2.1 so I'm thrilled and am heading out tomorrow night to celebrate. Celebrate = very bad for you food and very bad for you alcohol so my body will have to get all the exercise it can in before then, and after. Even though I haven't jogged hungover yet.... :D

Well done (I've no idea about degree/exam results so I don't know if 2.1 is good or not).

So what other books/dvds did you order??? (insert nosey smiley here) :D

I'll have to go out jogging tonight, and on Sunday. Got my exam results and got a 2.1

That's brill congrats!

Well done (I've no idea about degree/exam results so I don't know if 2.1 is good or not).

So what other books/dvds did you order??? (insert nosey smiley here) :D
    It's the second best result you can get grandmaster, so its pretty good! :)
    I ordered season 2 of Psych and a Kathy Reichs novel as well as the marathon book. Hopefully they'll be here on Monday.
    That's brill congrats!
    Ah cheers, I'm delighted with myself! Went and got my hair done to celebrate :D

• Advertisement

Coolio, well done. I have that book in my Amazon basket as we speak. The Running one I mean. I also have Season 4 of the US office and I'm debating about throwing in something else. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Congrats SP!!! Amazing achievement, well done.
    Are you gonna progress to the 10k?? :D

Thanks!! I'm going to make up my own playlists and stay at 30 minute runs for a couple of weeks but after that planning to try the 10k programme :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Have been slacking this week, should be on to Week 3 already. Went out to walk the dog today and ended up doing 6 jogging intervals, 4 for 90 seconds, 1 for 2 mins and 1 for 2.5 mins, basically an extra Week 2 session with another minute and a half jogging thrown in. Happy enough with that as I hadn't thought I would get anything more done this week, and for me a minute and a half is still a big difference. Was a LOT easier running on the flat, didn't find it that hard to run for that extra minute, compared to dying the last time I went out and was trying to run up hills. So definitely going to plan my routes better and build myself up on flat ground. Once I'm running 5K I'll throw in a few hills again!
    Have visitors for the weekend so on to Week 3 next week.

W2D1 Complete

So I completed W2D1 this morning. I went to bed kind of late last night so I wasn't up as early as I'd planned to be this morning. I also scooted over to Dundrum to get a few things. Picked up that book in Eason's btw Terlywerly.

Anyway W2D1 wasn't too bad. The first 90 seconds of jogging were tough enough, especially towards the end of the 90 seconds. I ran in the opposite direction around the park and I think there's slightly more of an incline when running this way which perhaps explains why it was slightly harder. I also have this book called Chris Ryans SAS Fitness Book. In the running section he mentioned changing your route and running in the opposite direction to normal to avoid getting bored.

So that's W2D1 complete. I'm seriously considering going out and doing a 5 mile walk later today as well. Will see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Week 5 complete. It's a bit of an odd week because every day is different. The 1st day solidifies what you have achieved in week 4, 2nd day is challenging for lung capacity and the final day 20 min run gets your legs working! I went very slow for the 20 minute jog and made it comfortably. I've started going out at about 7ish, there's a nice cool breeze at this time and hardly anyone in the park so the paths are clear. Just more than half way through and I feel fantastic! I've noticed my skin has gotten better. I've stopped drinking coffee because I don't need it. My spirits have lifted as well, must be all those endorphins being released! :D

jw297 wrote: »
    Have been slacking this week, should be on to Week 3 already. Went out to walk the dog today and ended up doing 6 jogging intervals, 4 for 90 seconds, 1 for 2 mins and 1 for 2.5 mins, basically an extra Week 2 session with another minute and a half jogging thrown in. Happy enough with that as I hadn't thought I would get anything more done this week, and for me a minute and a half is still a big difference. Was a LOT easier running on the flat, didn't find it that hard to run for that extra minute, compared to dying the last time I went out and was trying to run up hills. So definitely going to plan my routes better and build myself up on flat ground. Once I'm running 5K I'll throw in a few hills again!
    Have visitors for the weekend so on to Week 3 next week.
    Well done!! Keep it up :) I need to get a dog to get me out there on my non jog days lol
    W2D1 Complete

So I completed W2D1 this morning. I went to bed kind of late last night so I wasn't up as early as I'd planned to be this morning. I also scooted over to Dundrum to get a few things. Picked up that book in Eason's btw Terlywerly.

Anyway W2D1 wasn't too bad. The first 90 seconds of jogging were tough enough, especially towards the end of the 90 seconds. I ran in the opposite direction around the park and I think there's slightly more of an incline when running this way which perhaps explains why it was slightly harder. I also have this book called Chris Ryans SAS Fitness Book. In the running section he mentioned changing your route and running in the opposite direction to normal to avoid getting bored.

So that's W2D1 complete. I'm seriously considering going out and doing a 5 mile walk later today as well. Will see how it goes.
    Yay W2D1 done, my book is on its way, hopefully it'll be helpful. I think I need a new route for W5 too, getting a bit bored of the one I've been on, even though its lovely and quiet.
    hatful wrote: »
    Week 5 complete. It's a bit of an odd week because every day is different. The 1st day solidifies what you have achieved in week 4, 2nd day is challenging for lung capacity and the final day 20 min run gets your legs working! I went very slow for the 20 minute jog and made it comfortably. I've started going out at about 7ish, there's a nice cool breeze at this time and hardly anyone in the park so the paths are clear. Just more than half way through and I feel fantastic! I've noticed my skin has gotten better. I've stopped drinking coffee because I don't need it. My spirits have lifted as well, must be all those endorphins being released! :D
    Hoping it'll go well for me too when I start next week :eek: evening jogging is much better than day time, less people watching me :D
    I find I don't drink as much coffee either. I was never a massive coffee addict, but now I'd probably only have one or two a week. Its amazing the difference jogging makes :)

I'm here sitting on my bum with no intention of going out today lol, hungover jog tomorrow I think :D Feck it, I worked hard, I deserve it :p

bleh, w4d3 didn't go too well. think the gap between thursday and sunday was a bit too long. i also hate the w4 music. for the last 5 min run i just put on my own music, but then ran too fast, gave myself the mother of all stitches and hobbled home after doing 3min instead of 5min :o
    I think I may end up repeating w4 as well

I'm giving W2D2 a skip today. Am supposed to do it but I'm sore from the walk I did yesterday and my legs need a rest.

I always found if I left it 4 days between cardio sessions, I found it harder the next time I went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

W2D1 complete. Delighted with myself. Found it tough enough, particularly the first and last runs. Thrilled once I had it done though. I wasn't sure if I'd be able as I found week 1 was getting harder each day.

On to W2D2. And looking forward to it! Amazing.

Decided to repeat week 4 this week... and to push up the pace a bit. Flopped and did about half of each run :D Was really pushing it and can barely walk now I'm so achey, so I feel good I at least that I really challenged myself.

*hobbles away*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Did Week 3 Day 1 today. Misheard the instructions at the start, and was expecting all the runs to be 3 mins, so imagine my joy when the 90 second runs came up! Was dying after 2 minutes of the 3 min runs, and then seemed to kinda zone out and start thinking about other stuff, and then they were suddenly over, hope I can make that happen next time too!

I'm not really sure about my pace, I'm running slowly and avoiding getting stitches. I'm finding it really tough, but not completely dying by the end. My thinking is that I'll build up my stamina to keep going for longer, and hopefully pick up the pace gradually too. Makes sense in my head.. hopefully it actually works that way!

Back a little bit from W5D1. I think I'm gonna move on to D2, even though I didn't do a full 3x5mins jogs. Did the first 5 min jog fine, was actually surprised when it beeped to go back to walking. Managed nearly 4 mins of the second jog, then hit a hill :mad: And did all the 3rd 5 min jog with the exception of maybe 20/25 seconds around the 4 min mark where I had to stop for a mouthful of water as I felt I was dying - stupid allergies. But I feel good, got more of it done than I thought, and I wasn't dying and out of breath after it either. I did the last 5 mins a bit slower than usual, but people who have seen me out jogging say I jog very fast so maybe I'm pushing myself a bit too far and I'd find it easier if I stepped it back a bit. Anyway, glad its done. Think I'll do W5D2 on Wednesday or Thursday.
    Gonna treat myself to a big mug of tea and one of my homemmade queen cakes as a reward for a job well done :D
    Decided to repeat week 4 this week... and to push up the pace a bit. Flopped and did about half of each run :D Was really pushing it and can barely walk now I'm so achey, so I feel good I at least that I really challenged myself.

*hobbles away*
    Week 4 is very hard bluewolf. I wouldn't worry about repeating. I did 2 repeat days along with the normal 3. It is worth it though, I felt an awful lot more ready for the 3x5mins than I would have if I didn't repeat a bit.

The important thing is that we're getting out there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

jw297 wrote: »
    I'm not really sure about my pace, I'm running slowly and avoiding getting stitches. I'm finding it really tough, but not completely dying by the end. My thinking is that I'll build up my stamina to keep going for longer, and hopefully pick up the pace gradually too. Makes sense in my head.. hopefully it actually works that way!

I'm running at a slow pace aswell, I think next time I'll bring a watch so I can go a little faster at the end of the intervals, I can't gauge how long 10 minutes is let alone 20. Maybe it would be worth purchasing a micoach at the end of this I see some people with them (?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Hey,

I'm hoping to start this tonight but have problems downloading the mp3's. I wanted to use Running into Shape one but i cant download it as an mp3. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Hey newbie, you have to right click the podcast (on the running into shape website) and it prompts you to tell you what to do from there.

hatful wrote: »
    I'm running at a slow pace aswell, I think next time I'll bring a watch so I can go a little faster at the end of the intervals, I can't gauge how long 10 minutes is let alone 20. Maybe it would be worth purchasing a micoach at the end of this I see some people with them (?)
    I'm thinking of buying a more accurate sporty watch for jogging myself, I never seem to know how long I'm jogging for!!
    newbie! wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm hoping to start this tonight but have problems downloading the mp3's. I wanted to use Running into Shape one but i cant download it as an mp3. Any ideas?
    Good luck with it newbie! Getting out there for the first time is always the hardest part but its really worth it!

Any of the C25K graduates on here having a read - should I repeat W5D1 or go on to W5D2 based on how much of it I was able to complete last night? I'm 50/50 about whether I'm prepared enough for the 8 min jogs, any input would be great! :D

hey twerly as you know i'm still repeating week four ;) but personally my plan is to do each week 5 run twice so w5d1 x2 then move on to w5d2 as I find it takes a couple goes to really get through any of the runs.
    Going out again tonight I think, no harm doing it a few days in a row I hope

hey twerly as you know i'm still repeating week four ;) but personally my plan is to do each week 5 run twice so w5d1 x2 then move on to w5d2 as I find it takes a couple goes to really get through any of the runs.
    Going out again tonight I think, no harm doing it a few days in a row I hope
    See, I was thinking initially before I went out last night that I'd do 2xW5D1, at least 2xW5D2 and then stay on W5D3 forever lol as 20 min run is very intimidating! But I felt I had a good run last night, and only for the hill I'd have pretty much done the whole thing. But I'm not sure. I suppose I could try W5D2 and if its too much, just keep at it until I get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

hi terly werly i finished the c25k about 2 weeks ago and like you i had my doubts about moving onto each day as the runs got longer. i would say if you were able to complete w5d1 go out and try d2 you would be surprised how much you are prepared for it. if you find your not able for it you can always do it again or go back to day1.

when i was doing it there were days where i wasnt able to complete a 5 min run but then was able to do an 8 minute run the next time i was out. i find it really depends on how your feeling on the day. im still like that now for example i was out on saturday morning and did the whole 30 mins but then last night i was exhausted as id been up since 4.30am for work and could only manage 20 mins and walked fast for the remainder.

so anyway go out and give it a go and you might just surprise yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

I'm thinking of buying a more accurate sporty watch for jogging myself, I never seem to know how long I'm jogging for!!

Good luck with it newbie! Getting out there for the first time is always the hardest part but its really worth it!

Any of the C25K graduates on here having a read - should I repeat W5D1 or go on to W5D2 based on how much of it I was able to complete last night? I'm 50/50 about whether I'm prepared enough for the 8 min jogs, any input would be great! :D

I think I repeated W5D1, no shame in it :D The runs just get longer from there so best be prepared!

Advertisement