Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

hi terly werly i finished the c25k about 2 weeks ago and like you i had my doubts about moving onto each day as the runs got longer. i would say if you were able to complete w5d1 go out and try d2 you would be surprised how much you are prepared for it. if you find your not able for it you can always do it again or go back to day1.

when i was doing it there were days where i wasnt able to complete a 5 min run but then was able to do an 8 minute run the next time i was out. i find it really depends on how your feeling on the day. im still like that now for example i was out on saturday morning and did the whole 30 mins but then last night i was exhausted as id been up since 4.30am for work and could only manage 20 mins and walked fast for the remainder.

so anyway go out and give it a go and you might just surprise yourself!
    I think I repeated W5D1, no shame in it :D The runs just get longer from there so best be prepared!

Thanks guys, I think I'll try the 8 min runs and if it goes ok see from there. If not I can just repeat till I know I'm able, I'm not holding myself to a deadline.

Was reading back through the thread there, its only when you read back you realise how far you've come. I was reading about people doing W5D2 that have the whole thing finished now, and the one thing I can say is the enthusiasm in the thread is overwhelming, everyone is so positive and happy talking about their jogs! I had forgotten how hard I found the first day of the programme and now I'm half way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Hey newbie, you have to right click the podcast (on the running into shape website) and it prompts you to tell you what to do from there.

When I rightclick I only get option to save the link which is a .htm file? Are they huge mp3's? Could anyone email one or tow to me so I can see if they're good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

W2D2 Complete, just about...

So I completed W2D2 today but it was tough. The jogging was fine except that my software on the iPhone hasn't been working properly since I upgraded it yesterday so I couldn't hear the prompts for when to walk and when to run. I ended up running for 2 mins solid at the start as I didn't hear the prompt to walk.

However the more annoying thing is that I think I've tweaked my right knee. I could feel a twinge in it since that 7.5 mile walk on Sunday and I think I've made it a little worse by doing C25K today. It's not really bad, just quite a twinge when I stand up etc. So I'm definitely resting for a few days. Something like this happened before and I didn't rest it and it just got worse.

I'm quite annoyed though and I'm hoping my weight loss can continue over the next few days if I watch what I eat as I won't be doing much walking or jogging :(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Grandmaster, can you swim? If you can, it would be a good workout without the impact on your knee.

Grandmaster, can you swim? If you can, it would be a good workout without the impact on your knee.

Unfortunately not. I don't think I've ever even been in a swimming pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Bey0nd

Hey guys,

Did my first night of the C25k last night and went very well! So inspired by this thread!

Quick question though, how crucial are the rest days? I really feel like I could do it again tonight but dont want to if it's bad for me.

Thanks! :D

Grandmaster, I had weird pains/twinges there a bit back, and I waited till I was feeling better to keep going. All the walking plus the C25K must be giving your knee something to complain about! Are you walking on grass or the road? What about when you're jogging?
    My OH can't jog or do any large amount of brisk walking on anything except grass, maybe try to stick to grass when you get back into the swing of things.
    Don't worry, its only a minor setback!!

Bey0nd wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Did my first night of the C25k last night and went very well! So inspired by this thread!

Quick question though, how crucial are the rest days? I really feel like I could do it again tonight but dont want to if it's bad for me.

From someone who's picked up nagging pains, I recommend resting. It's so easy to overdo it when you are enjoying it and feeling good. I'd definitely recommend resting a day between workouts at least. I don't know your weight, but if you are overweight, it's going to put a lot of extra pressure on your joints.

terlywerly wrote: »
    Grandmaster, I had weird pains/twinges there a bit back, and I waited till I was feeling better to keep going. All the walking plus the C25K must be giving your knee something to complain about! Are you walking on grass or the road? What about when you're jogging?
    My OH can't jog or do any large amount of brisk walking on anything except grass, maybe try to stick to grass when you get back into the swing of things.
    Don't worry, its only a minor setback!!

Cheers, I'm just frustrated at the mo. I run on tarmac in my local park. It surrounds the park, I'm not sure, it could be tarmac on top of the grass, but I usually run on it. Won't be doing any for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Finally did week six day 1 today :D
    I now know the exact location of my knee joints intimately but also am so smiley happy on the hormone high! The reward of a mintcornetto is helping too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Bey0nd

From someone who's picked up nagging pains, I recommend resting. It's so easy to overdo it when you are enjoying it and feeling good. I'd definitely recommend resting a day between workouts at least. I don't know your weight, but if you are overweight, it's going to put a lot of extra pressure on your joints.

Thanks grandmaster! Might just stick with a walk this evening :)

Bey0nd wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I was DYING in agony with pains the night after my first run. I think it took me 3 days to recover properly!!
    But definitely leave it at least for tonight. The programme advises 3 times a week with at least one day in between so maybe do tomorrow and Friday for a free weekend? Or some people like to do Sunday morning/afternoon, so maybe do Thursday and Sunday and start next week on the Tuesday. It all depends.
    But definitely leave it for today. A nice walk would be good though. No rain headed our way yet!
    Cheers, I'm just frustrated at the mo. I run on tarmac in my local park. It surrounds the park, I'm not sure, it could be tarmac on top of the grass, but I usually run on it. Won't be doing any for a few days.
    My OH finds the grass much better, he said there's a tarmac path around the grass but he just walks parallel to it when he goes. I had to ask him this, I never go near the parks, but I'm fine for jogging the paths and roads thankfully. Just take it easy the next few days and there'll be no holding you back for W1D3!
    Jessibelle wrote: »
    Finally did week six day 1 today :D
    I now know the exact location of my knee joints intimately but also am so smiley happy on the hormone high! The reward of a mintcornetto is helping too ;)
    Well done Jessibelle! I treated myself with a homemade queen cake last night to celebrate W5D1! :D So yummy!
    Its a great rush to do it though isn't it. Never ever thought I'd say that but its true!

My OH finds the grass much better, he said there's a tarmac path around the grass but he just walks parallel to it when he goes. I had to ask him this, I never go near the parks, but I'm fine for jogging the paths and roads thankfully. Just take it easy the next few days and there'll be no holding you back for W1D3!

I hope so. I'll run on the grass the next time, the distance will be the same. It's just annoying and I hope the pain goes away. I was just up there walking around the living room and it was quite uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I treated myself with a homemade queen cake last night to celebrate W5D1! :D So yummy!
    Its a great rush to do it though isn't it. Never ever thought I'd say that but its true!

I KNOW:eek::eek: It's like 'look at us with our natural high from eh... running :o'
    As to the queencake, well somethings just have to be done and done well ;)

Jessibelle wrote: »
    I KNOW:eek::eek: It's like 'look at us with our natural high from eh... running :o'
    As to the queencake, well somethings just have to be done and done well ;)
    No need for that embarrassed smiley, we are FANTASTIC and its great that we can get such a natural high for free :D

Update:

My knee is now very sore when walking up stairs but less so when walking along flat ground. It's obvious I've overdone it with the exercise so I'm taking a break from C25K, most likely for a few weeks. The last time I hurt my knee I think it took about 3 weeks to clear up so hopefully it will be better sooner than that, although this time it's the other knee and the pain is in a different location.

Stupid enthusiasm, who'd have thought exercise would be bad for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just starting couch to 5k tonight , never got into running usually do the rowing and cycling in the gym . Will ease myself into running with the couch to 5k and see how i like it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Just starting couch to 5k tonight , never got into running usually do the rowing and cycling in the gym . Will ease myself into running with the couch to 5k and see how i like it :D

Woohoo another new recruit!! Best of luck Outkast, let us know how it goes afterwards! x

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

I've been doing it for 3 weeks now, the weight seems to be coming off round the midsection. :)

nachoman wrote: »
    I've been doing it for 3 weeks now, the weight seems to be coming off round the midsection. :)

Jammy b*****rd.

Seriously though, well done :)

• Advertisement

Jammy b*****rd.

Seriously though, well done :)

Thanks, I think for myself though it's more a combination of less beer and doing the jogging one day and walking the next day for a 4 or 5 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm supposed to go out running tonight and man I am NOT in the mood!!
    last go at week 4 like...

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Started on Saturday, but only did 20mins for w1s1 and w1s2,
    thinking of going out again tonight, or do it tomorrow.

Session 2 was harder, more doms than session1

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm supposed to go out running tonight and man I am NOT in the mood!!
    last go at week 4 like...
    I was meant to be going out tonight too to do W5D2 but just realised its bonfire night and all the sh1te burning on the fires wreaks havoc with my allergies so will have to give it a miss... :mad:
    All the more ready for it tomorrow :)

Welcome also to the new members of our C25K cult <mwahahahahaha> :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ok thats W1S1 out of the way , to be honest found it grand and did a good pace on the jogging intervals , felt it only on the muscles on my shins after the 3rd jogging interval , but that went away after a minute.

Really this week for me is just about getting eased into the running , liking it so far its nice to have a structure set out before you start and i keep track of the intervals myself so i find that takes my mind off the actual running.
    Went for a swim afterwards and just did a few lengths and then relaxed.

Do you guys usually stretch after a run or do you just do a cool down by slowing the pace gradually for a few mins after your session is over?

Planning on going again Fri and Sun .

Ok thats W1S1 out of the way , to be honest found it grand and did a good pace on the jogging intervals , felt it only on the muscles on my shins after the 3rd jogging interval , but that went away after a minute.

Really this week for me is just about getting eased into the running , liking it so far its nice to have a structure set out before you start and i keep track of the intervals myself so i find that takes my mind off the actual running.
    Went for a swim afterwards and just did a few lengths and then relaxed.

Do you guys usually stretch after a run or do you just do a cool down by slowing the pace gradually for a few mins after your session is over?

Planning on going again Fri and Sun .
    I just slow my pace down to catch my breath, why? are you supposed to do stretching exercises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

nachoman wrote: »
    I just slow my pace down to catch my breath, why? are you supposed to do stretching exercises?
    I stretch my hamstring muscles before and after the session. My friend who has been running for years told me to do that.

hatful wrote: »
    I stretch my hamstring muscles before and after the session. My friend who has been running for years told me to do that.

Ok i'll give it a try thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Right, made my own playlist approximately the same time intervals, let's hope this evening goes better :D
    I know there's a podcast for all the weeks where you can add your own music but no idea how to do that :confused:

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Right, made my own playlist approximately the same time intervals, let's hope this evening goes better :D
    I know there's a podcast for all the weeks where you can add your own music but no idea how to do that :confused:
    Good luck this evening, I'm heading out in a while too... 8 min jogs!! :p:eek:

Advertisement