Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

terlywerly wrote: »
    Good luck this evening, I'm heading out in a while too... 8 min jogs!! :p:eek:

lol I'm still being a wuss and doing week 4 for the millionth time :D
    I think sunday is going to be the start of week 5, when I'm all relaxed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

bluewolf wrote: »

If it makes you feel any better, I'm going to start Week 1 again once my knee is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

I repeated it too remember :D
    Depending on how tonight goes, I may be repeating this one as well lol
    Ah its not important how many times we repeat, its getting out there that counts.
    And grandmaster, you'll be back out there soon enough too!!

I really hope so. It's like I'm forcing my knee to get better :)

I repeated it too remember :D
    Depending on how tonight goes, I may be repeating this one as well lol
    Ah its not important how many times we repeat, its getting out there that counts.

that's true, and I do intend to stick it for the whole programme. I want to be able to run 5k! and then move onto training for longer stuff after. sometime!

Good luck this evening,:D
    and hope you're better soon grandmaster!

• Advertisement

and hope you're better soon grandmaster!

Cheers.

Ok guys I've had an epiphany I must share with you all

1/ hey boy hey girl is brilliant to run to
    2/ "pump it" by black eyed peas is THE best finishing song EVER. I was feckin exhausted thinking I'll never make it, then when this song came on my legs started running of their own accord with a new spring :D:D

Making my own playlist was such a good idea.

ps vaseline before a run helps stop blisters
    pps I HATE midges, feckin bastards stay away from me :mad:

I have a few specific tunes for running. Take Me Away by 4 Strings, Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon, Envy by Ash.

I have a few specific tunes for running. Take Me Away by 4 Strings, Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon, Envy by Ash.

I think for the future runs I might just tailor my music to the intervals myself.

I had a bad W5D2.
    A very very bad W5D2.
    For a good reason. But it was bad for jogging.
    Not many of ye out there will understand/feel my pain but my issue today is sports bra related... I bought a sports bra to start this thing in the size I was when I started. As the weeks have gone by and the weight has been coming off, I have lost it from my back too, meaning my back size of my bra has come down, but cup size has gone up. While this may seem wonderful to many (:rolleyes:), its not all that really. I have gotten 16 jogs from the bra, and now I need a new one as it is waaaay too big on the back, and I may as well have been jogging without one for the support it gave me tonight.
    I really thought I might be able for the 8 min jog, I had myself all psyched up and all. I barely managed 3 mins before I had to stop and try and adjust myself. It was horrible. I barely managed a 3 min run before I had to stop, I wouldn't even think I got half the jogging time in with all the messing, I'm so annoyed. This also means I have to spend another €50 or so on another sports bra, and from what I can see online they don't go up as high as my size, so it will have to be the closest thing to my size. Probably 2 sizes too small.
    I really don't know what to do. I feel so absolutely miserable right now, and I know a whole lot of people won't identify with my problem but I needed a rant and I don't have a food diary or anything to rant into so I hope everyone forgives me :o
    So I think I'll be repeating W5D2.............

Ok guys I've had an epiphany I must share with you all

1/ hey boy hey girl is brilliant to run to
    2/ "pump it" by black eyed peas is THE best finishing song EVER. I was feckin exhausted thinking I'll never make it, then when this song came on my legs started running of their own accord with a new spring :D:D

Making my own playlist was such a good idea.

ps vaseline before a run helps stop blisters
    pps I HATE midges, feckin bastards stay away from me :mad:
    Well done bluewolf, really glad you managed it!! Cheered me up too :)
    Hey Boy Hey Girl is a fantastic song any time of the day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I had a bad W5D2.
    A very very bad W5D2.
    For a good reason. But it was bad for jogging.
    Not many of ye out there will understand/feel my pain but my issue today is sports bra related... I bought a sports bra to start this thing in the size I was when I started. As the weeks have gone by and the weight has been coming off, I have lost it from my back too, meaning my back size of my bra has come down, but cup size has gone up. While this may seem wonderful to many (:rolleyes:), its not all that really. I have gotten 16 jogs from the bra, and now I need a new one as it is waaaay too big on the back, and I may as well have been jogging without one for the support it gave me tonight.
    I really thought I might be able for the 8 min jog, I had myself all psyched up and all. I barely managed 3 mins before I had to stop and try and adjust myself. It was horrible. I barely managed a 3 min run before I had to stop, I wouldn't even think I got half the jogging time in with all the messing, I'm so annoyed. This also means I have to spend another €50 or so on another sports bra, and from what I can see online they don't go up as high as my size, so it will have to be the closest thing to my size. Probably 2 sizes too small.
    I really don't know what to do. I feel so absolutely miserable right now, and I know a whole lot of people won't identify with my problem but I needed a rant and I don't have a food diary or anything to rant into so I hope everyone forgives me :o
    So I think I'll be repeating W5D2.............

Ouch! I feel your pain! I've been there :D

....and they're so expensive. The shock absorber bras have three different hooks so you can adjust if you lose/gain weight. They're 35 euro in Champion Sports

dolliemix wrote: »
    Ouch! I feel your pain! I've been there :D

....and they're so expensive. The shock absorber bras have three different hooks so you can adjust if you lose/gain weight. They're 35 euro in Champion Sports
    Ah thanks dolliemix, a hot bath and a big mug of hot chocolate later and I feel a bit better.
    Sadly I'm a long long way after the highest size the shock absorbers go :(

Ah thanks dolliemix, a hot bath and a big mug of hot chocolate later and I feel a bit better.
    Sadly I'm a long long way after the highest size the shock absorbers go :(

Oh ok I think my friend is in the same boat. She wears a sports bra AND one of those really tight running tops that holds everything in place at the same time. (You know the ones that skinny minnies can wear braless!) It took her years to take up running, but this seems to have solved all her problems. She ran 5k in 25mins last week!

dolliemix wrote: »
    Oh ok I think my friend is in the same boat. She wears a sports bra AND one of those really tight running tops that holds everything in place at the same time. (You know the ones that skinny minnies can wear braless!) It took her years to take up running, but this seems to have solved all her problems. She ran 5k in 25mins last week!
    Wow well done to her!!
    I've been googling about (though I should be sleeping...) and I've found one or two possibilities for sports bras in my actual proper size, but it means having to wait till they're delivered. I'll have a look in town tomorrow and see what they have, though I doubt they'll have much. Big boobs are a curse. Can never get nice shirts or blouses to fit, most dresses look terrible, very poor selection of lingerie, and now sports bra problems. This is one of those days where I wish I was small enough to buy Penney's bras :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Have you tried M&S? I know they do up to a G cup anyway. I think Debenhams and JJB do the full range of Shock Absorber sizes too.

Have you tried M&S? I know they do up to a G cup anyway. I think Debenhams and JJB do the full range of Shock Absorber sizes too.
    Think bigger lol
    Nobody understands, its a curse!!! :(
    And nowhere near an M&S or Debenhams for a few weeks anyway :(:(

Not many of ye out there will understand/feel my pain but my issue today is sports bra related...
    I've been using a silly tshirt one for the last while, I really need a sports one :o
    Sorry it went badly! maybe use another one for the moment? any properly fitting one shouldnt bounce anyway I think
    Well done bluewolf, really glad you managed it!! Cheered me up too :)
    Hey Boy Hey Girl is a fantastic song any time of the day :)
    thanks :D I didn't do runs as long as I'd like but the speed is much better so it's all good!
    Wow well done to her!!
    Big boobs are a curse. Can never get nice shirts or blouses to fit, most dresses look terrible, very poor selection of lingerie, and now sports bra problems.
    I know your pain, although...
    Think bigger lol

... not that big!
    :eek:
    You sound like my best friend, don't know where she gets hers...

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Hi i have completed the 9 Wk programme and have my first 5k race friday 2nd july!!
    I have 2 questions.
    1. Is 40mins very very slow to complete 5k?
    2. What do i wear to race? i want to get somethin professional lookin to make me feel more like a pro. I have great runners. i usually wear a tracksuit bottoms and a tshirt but get very very cold when i finish runnin! any cheap suggestions?? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

foundry wrote: »
    1. Is 40mins very very slow to complete 5k?
    2. What do i wear to race? i want to get somethin professional lookin to make me feel more like a pro. I have great runners. i usually wear a tracksuit bottoms and a tshirt but get very very cold when i finish runnin! any cheap suggestions?? thanks!

40 minutes is fine for 5k, you'll probably also find that you go faster on the day. Back when I did my first 5k race, I was doing my training 5k runs in ~36 minutes, but ran just outside 30 minutes on the day.

Race in whatever you're comfortable in. If you're comfortable in your trackies and a t-shirt wear that, however shorts or capris are probably a better option during the summer than tracksuit bottoms! If I had one recommendation here though, it would be a good wicking t-shirt. Cotton holds the moisture close to the skin and that can make you feel colder, particularly when you stop running.

Try TKMaxx for cheap running gear, also some of the sports shops have their summer sales at the moment. Wiggle have their summer sale on too at the moment.

If I had one recommendation here though, it would be a good wicking t-shirt. Cotton holds the moisture close to the skin and that can make you feel colder, particularly when you stop running.

Try TKMaxx for cheap running gear, also some of the sports shops have their summer sales at the moment. Wiggle have their summer sale on too at the moment.
    I got 2 lovely wicking t shirts in TKMaxx last week, only 10 euro each, and got a wee zippy top for when its chilly jogging, I think it was 13 euro. They're great for a bargain!

• Advertisement

foundry wrote: »

I read this advice on a site and I thought it made sense. Basically, don't wear new clothing to a race. Wear something that's worn in and comfortable.

Last thing you want is to wear something new the first time and get chaffed to feck.

The sports bra situation is sorted :D managed to get one today (miraculously) and it feels just like the last one did when it started out. The girl in the shop said if I manage to get through the 4 hooks from the first to the last that I will be a skeleton and won't be able to do any running, so I reckon I'm safe :)
    Thanks for letting me rant last night and for nobody making a joke out of it, or mocking my unfortunately sized boobs :o xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Hi there,
    I was just wondering does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to approach this...should I download stuff on to my ipod & is it better to do out on the roads rather than in the gym?
    I'm sure this information is in the thread somewhere already but it is reallllllyyy long so I'd appreciate any tips you might have. I'm starting in the morning - I'm looking forward to it but dreading it too!

Thanks a million!!

Personally I prefer road running by 700%

I used the C25k intervals from itunes when I did it down loaded onto my ipod

Best of luck! :)

Hi there,
    I was just wondering does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to approach this...should I download stuff on to my ipod & is it better to do out on the roads rather than in the gym?
    I'm sure this information is in the thread somewhere already but it is reallllllyyy long so I'd appreciate any tips you might have. I'm starting in the morning - I'm looking forward to it but dreading it too!

Thanks a million!!

Hello my littlefriend, good to see you're giving this a go.

I'm a bit of a newbie too, but here are my tips. Wear decent runners and perhaps run on grass if you can at the start, just to go easier on your joints. I use software called the Couch to 5k programme by Alex Stankovic and it costs €2.39 from the App Store on iTunes. It lets you listen to your own music and gives you audio prompts about when to warmup, run, walk, cooldown etc. I'm not sure but I think it only works with the iPod touch and iPhone.

If not there are other podcasts that others use on here.

Also don't worry if you feel unfit and can't run very fast, or at all. I just jogged the "run" parts and even on the official C25K website, they say it's more jogging and walking at the start than running and walking. Don't worry about speed, just jog the running parts and you'll be grand.

I was worried myself when I started but it's not too bad when you get going.

Also be sure to rest between workouts. I'd say to give yourself a day off so if you complete day 1 tomorrow, take Tuesday off and do no exercise then do Day 2 on Wednesday if you feel up to it.

Just my 2 pence worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Thanks GM & dolly.
    I think I'm going to start in the gym tomorrow on a treadmill - just until it starts getting dark a little earlier or for the first couple of weeks. I feel a bit embarrassed about how I'd look trying to struggle through a run outside.

GM - I was reading there on club 10 thread that 10 stone is unrealistic for you. Maybe your goal to be to lose 10% bodyweight or something like that?

I feel really positive about this actually. Looking forward to endorphins!! I hope I get addicted to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just Finished Week 1 of couch to 5k , Did S1 on wed , S2 on Fri and S3 today .
    All went fine enjoying it now and looking forward to the challenge of it going up a notch when i go back wed :D

All went fine enjoying it now and looking forward to the challenge of it going up a notch when i go back wed :D

Good stuff Outkast! You'll enjoy Week 2 even more! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

I've just finished week 6, two thirds of the way through :D Like week 5 week 6 is a mixed week with intervals of different lengths each day. I made the last 25 min jog just about. My breathing was okay but my legs were about to pack up. Week 7 is all about the 25 minute runs so I'm sure I'll get used to it, I'm beginning to see the method in the madness of the different timings. Boy it was hot today have to get out early before the sun licks the earth with it's scourching tongues of fire!

Welcome Littlefriend and OutKast_IRE!

• Advertisement

Well done and congrats!!!! Week 2 is definitely easier, and more fun with the slightly longer jogs. You can do it!! :D
    hatful wrote: »
    I've just finished week 6, two thirds of the way through :D
    Congrats hatful, I'm heading out to do my repeat of W5D2 tomorrow evening with my new sports bra. Was meant to be heading out this evening but the OH decided to cook dinner (doesn't happen very often lol so I took advantage), so it'll be tomorrow instead!

Advertisement