Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

terlywerly wrote: »
    And a good sports bra if she needs the support!
    I had great fun trying them on today :rolleyes:
    at least I didnt strangle myself
    dolliemix wrote: »

Personally I am finding the heat a killer at the moment!
    Yeah I get around that by going at around 9.15pm or so. Still bright but much cooler.
    This is why I bought a treadmill - I can't let myself have an excuse, like its raining or its too cold/icy or too hot etc...
    I wouldnt mind a treadmill, though there's nothing liek fresh air, and I think it's supposed to be easier than outdoors...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Treadmills are grand but so far I think I prefer jogging outside. I know when the snow and ice come though, there's no way I'll go outside to exercise though. I can barely walk in the snow/ice. I'm being serious too :)

I used treadmills in the gym and they're a good way of knowing how long you're running and how fast etc. It's also easy to put them on an incline which perhaps gives you more options if everywhere around where you live is flat.

The only thing about treadmills for me is that I have to stare straight ahead or look at the readout the entire time. If I even think about looking anywhere else I will come straight off. I almost came a cropper a few times in the gyms when some hot bunny walked past and I tried to get a sneaky peaky :D

W5D1 went very well :cool:
    Last week the 5 min runs seemed to go on forever, this week it's like "oh i have to walk already??" :D

Kinda dreading the 8 min runs next though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

bluewolf wrote: »
    Last week the 5 min runs seemed to go on forever, this week it's like "oh i have to walk already??" :D

Thats great ....you're obviously ready for the 8 min so! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Well done for doing it!! I felt that about one of the runs of that day too,and was very surprised with myself :D Go week 5!!!
    Thats great ....you're obviously ready for the 8 min so! :)

8 mins wasn't the worst I have to say (once I had the right equipment for the job!).
    I'm having an awful tough time planning a route for the 20 min jog. Hills EVERYWHERE! And I don't just wanna jog around a park/football pitch, that'd be so dull :mad:

• Advertisement

Well done for doing it!! I felt that about one of the runs of that day too,and was very surprised with myself :D Go week 5!!!
    Yay ! :D
    8 mins wasn't the worst I have to say (once I had the right equipment for the job!).
    lol yeah I felt better now that I had some too xD
    I'm having an awful tough time planning a route for the 20 min jog. Hills EVERYWHERE! And I don't just wanna jog around a park/football pitch, that'd be so dull :mad:
    Aw =( I'm lucky, I'm right beside the enfield bypass, just goes on and on nice and flat...
    apparently the route I'm doing is 1.6km then I turn around and go back, so I think 3.2km isn't too bad... if I wanted to use the full bypass it'd be about 4.4...

It's funny, this week it feels like I'm turning into a serious runner :D

It's funny, this week it feels like I'm turning into a serious runner :D
    I think we've caught that 'running bug' that people talk about :D

I think we've caught that 'running bug' that people talk about :D

Yeah it's funny how you can get really addicted to it! My mother has started running too, she's out every morning and reallllllly getting into it

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

Well done for week 5! I'm gonna try and do it as is, but if I find it really hard I'm gonna modify it a bit and get there gradually. Lashing rain here today, not good running weather for me :(
    Nooooo! Ladies the thought of 20 mins scared me to death too but you are so able for it don't worry. Just get out there and say to yourself 'I CAN do it, I WILL do it', and you will! You have run 16mins on W5D2 so the 20 min run is only 4 mins more than that. Have faith in yourselves, the body is capable of more than the mind realises! Chickenpoo I'd say instead of starting week 6 you should do W5D3 as is (or build yourself up to it) and then start into week 6. I think that the 20 min run is a really important milestone and is also really important psychologically! It kind of marks the end of the first half and the beginning of the more serious stuff! You kinda have to do the 20 min run before you're ready for the 25min one at the end of week 6.

Terly you'll be able to do it-If I can do it anyone can hehe! Just keep those negative anti-running demons away and think happy thoughts :D xx

Okay guys, I read this last night before going out to start Week 6, and felt really guilty about it, so decided to take your advice... Went out in the FREEZING COLD (think it was 5 degrees here last night, that's cold for Sydney!) to re-attempt W5D3. Got as far as 10 minutes and was still feeling good, so kept going and going... and made it the whole 20 minutes! I'm delighted with myself, the last 2 minutes were pretty hard-going but I'd made it so far at that stage that I couldn't just give up. So Week 5 is officially comlpete, and I move on to Week 6 on Thursday, yay!

Terly, your weight loss ticker has made it all the way to the end, congratulations! You must be chuffed to make it to your goal weight, fair play :)

• Advertisement

chickenpoo wrote: »
    Okay guys, I read this last night before going out to start Week 6, and felt really guilty about it, so decided to take your advice... Went out in the FREEZING COLD (think it was 5 degrees here last night, that's cold for Sydney!) to re-attempt W5D3. Got as far as 10 minutes and was still feeling good, so kept going and going... and made it the whole 20 minutes! I'm delighted with myself, the last 2 minutes were pretty hard-going but I'd made it so far at that stage that I couldn't just give up. So Week 5 is officially comlpete, and I move on to Week 6 on Thursday, yay!

Terly, your weight loss ticker has made it all the way to the end, congratulations! You must be chuffed to make it to your goal weight, fair play :)
    Yay!! Well done, big achievement! I don't think I'm exactly ready for the 20 mins but hopefully by the end of the week I will be. Gonna repeat it another twice I think.
    Ah thanks for your nice comments about my ticker. Its not my final final goal, but it was something to aim for when I was starting out! I think a few more lb and more toning and I will be set up. The jogging definitely helped.
    My OH booked me in for a massage yesterday as a treat for all the good things I achieved lately (weight loss, exam results etc) and it was lovely at the time, but my muscles are aching today!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Glad to hear it gets easier. Just back from the first day of Week 4 and the 5 minute runs nearly killed me! My legs were falling off by the end, but I did it - ran FIVE MINUTES without stopping, twice!!! :D Thrilled that I managed it, definitely wouldn't have been able to do this on week 1!

Yay!! Well done, big achievement! I don't think I'm exactly ready for the 20 mins but hopefully by the end of the week I will be. Gonna repeat it another twice I think.
    Ah thanks for your nice comments about my ticker. Its not my final final goal, but it was something to aim for when I was starting out! I think a few more lb and more toning and I will be set up. The jogging definitely helped.
    My OH booked me in for a massage yesterday as a treat for all the good things I achieved lately (weight loss, exam results etc) and it was lovely at the time, but my muscles are aching today!! :(

That is so nice of your OH!
    jw297 wrote: »
    Glad to hear it gets easier. Just back from the first day of Week 4 and the 5 minute runs nearly killed me! My legs were falling off by the end, but I did it - ran FIVE MINUTES without stopping, twice!!! :D Thrilled that I managed it, definitely wouldn't have been able to do this on week 1!

Seeing the progress is great. Huge sense of achievement which each little advancement. THats why I love this program!

Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

chickenpoo wrote: »

WOOHOO!! Congrats CP!!! Thats fantastic, it really is an amazing achievement! Give yourself a pat on the back cos you definitely deserve it!
    Hehe first Cherub now chickenpoo. I've turned into a fitness coach-getting people through the 20mins :D
    terlywerly wrote:
    I don't think I'm exactly ready for the 20 mins but hopefully by the end of the week I will be. Gonna repeat it another twice I think.
    Terly terly terly!!! Come on! POSITIVE ATTITUDE!!!! PMA PMA! If you keep thinking about the 20min run in a negative way then you definitely won't be able to do it! I had a lil freak out the night before the run, but the morning of it I just said I'd go for it, and I did it without any problems. You are well able for it just try not to worry too much about it! I'm not saying that I don't want you to repeat the W5D2 a couple of times before the 20 min run but just make sure that the fear of the run doesn't take over and stop you from finishing the program. Look how far you have come so far! Big hugs hun, I know how you are feeling but try and FIGHT THE FEAR! We're all rooting for you! xx

jw297 wrote: »
    Well done on the 5 min runs, they were a hurdle for me, but it felt brilliant when I got over it!!
    That is so nice of your OH!
    Ah yeah, he's handy enough to have around! :D;)
    Terly terly terly!!! Come on! POSITIVE ATTITUDE!!!! PMA PMA! If you keep thinking about the 20min run in a negative way then you definitely won't be able to do it! I had a lil freak out the night before the run, but the morning of it I just said I'd go for it, and I did it without any problems. You are well able for it just try not to worry too much about it! I'm not saying that I don't want you to repeat the W5D2 a couple of times before the 20 min run but just make sure that the fear of the run doesn't take over and stop you from finishing the program. Look how far you have come so far! Big hugs hun, I know how you are feeling but try and FIGHT THE FEAR! We're all rooting for you! xx
    Aaargh its hard!! Naturally pessimistic person (always have been) so it can be hard sometimes to get into the right frame of mind. I was delighted after being able to do the 8 min jog, but I know from how I felt afterwards that I could do with repeating it once or twice more. I'll probably do it on Thursday and maybe Sunday and then tackle the 20 mins. I still can't seem to find a good place to do the 20 min jog, I've been looking at mapmyrun for ages!
    I think once I do another one or two 8 min jogs I'll feel ready to tackle it though. I'm already telling myself I'll be able every time I think about it. If I could get this far I'm sure I can keep going till the end!!
    Thanks for the pep talk :D xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Well done on the 5 min runs, they were a hurdle for me, but it felt brilliant when I got over it!!

Ah yeah, he's handy enough to have around! :D;)

Aaargh its hard!! Naturally pessimistic person (always have been) so it can be hard sometimes to get into the right frame of mind. I was delighted after being able to do the 8 min jog, but I know from how I felt afterwards that I could do with repeating it once or twice more. I'll probably do it on Thursday and maybe Sunday and then tackle the 20 mins. I still can't seem to find a good place to do the 20 min jog, I've been looking at mapmyrun for ages!
    I think once I do another one or two 8 min jogs I'll feel ready to tackle it though. I'm already telling myself I'll be able every time I think about it. If I could get this far I'm sure I can keep going till the end!!
    Thanks for the pep talk :D xx

Try Google Earth. I use it find areas to walk and run etc. It's how I found a few parks and stuff too.

Try Google Earth. I use it find areas to walk and run etc. It's how I found a few parks and stuff too.
    Google doesn't show me hills :( and I'm in Sligo at the minute and I don't really know the area all that well in terms of jogging, and we're a bit outside the town so I don't know what I'll do.
    Just back from Lidl, walked there and back - the things I do for cottage cheese, sorbet and a cheap popcorn maker :rolleyes:. Took forever and I'm saturated!
    No jogging tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Just finished what I would call my first unaided session.
    By that I mean I wasn't holding onto the bars of the treadmill to balance, and I wasn't holding on for dear life when my body tried to make me stop.

So I did a full 25 mins on the treadmill, with the walk, then the 60/90 second intervals - I feel absolutely shattered but great at the same time!!

This for me is a massive break through as a few weeks ago I had problems walking for that length of time on the treadmill..... I think I deserve a nice dinner now and maybe a mini icecream :D

Just finished what I would call my first unaided session.
    By that I mean I wasn't holding onto the bars of the treadmill to balance, and I wasn't holding on for dear life when my body tried to make me stop.

So I did a full 25 mins on the treadmill, with the walk, then the 60/90 second intervals - I feel absolutely shattered but great at the same time!!
    Well done!! Feels great to manage it better than you have before doesn't it? Its a great feeling when you have it finished, I never thought I'd enjoy running (and I still don't like the thoughts of going and have to shove myself out the door) but once I'm out there I love it and I always feel brilliant afterwards!
    Glad you did so well, yay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Well done!! Feels great to manage it better than you have before doesn't it? Its a great feeling when you have it finished, I never thought I'd enjoy running (and I still don't like the thoughts of going and have to shove myself out the door) but once I'm out there I love it and I always feel brilliant afterwards!
    Glad you did so well, yay!!

I am so happy right now, I would attempt to go again - probably would fail, but thats a different story.

I'm so glad I have the treadmill to regulate the speed and let me track the distance etc.

I would not do this if I had to go out in public :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I am so happy right now, I would attempt to go again - probably would fail, but thats a different story.

I'm so glad I have the treadmill to regulate the speed and let me track the distance etc.

I would not do this if I had to go out in public :rolleyes:
    I was extremely self conscious starting out, especially doing the shorter jogs, cos it felt people were watching me for the whole minute, even though in fairness people have better things to be doing than watching me jog! But I've gotten better. I also felt self conscious not wearing something to cover my arms as I wasn't exactly the picture of fitness :o:D but I'm much improved on that front as well.
    I normally jog late in the evenings so its a lot quieter than during the day, but I can do that cos I'm sadly not working at the moment. But it has that one benefit :)
    You're doing brilliantly so far though, jogging outside can come later, and at least you don't get rained on. Big + in my books :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

WOOHOO!! Congrats CP!!! Thats fantastic, it really is an amazing achievement! Give yourself a pat on the back cos you definitely deserve it!
    Hehe first Cherub now chickenpoo. I've turned into a fitness coach-getting people through the 20mins :D

Cheers guys, I was very happy that i managed to do it as well, I really didn't think I'd be able for it considering that I'd done a 10 minute run a few days before and struggled to make it to the end of that. I'm going to start Week 6 tonight, hopefully it'll be grand now that I'm a superstar and can run 20 minutes :D

Well I'm back from my second repeat of W5D2. I was meant to do it last night but got caught up helping my OH do his VAT returns so it ended up too late. Was here after my dinner thinking I had absolutely no motivation to go at all. Zero. I'd say I was the least motivated than I had been in a long while. But I knew if I didn't go tonight I'd end up not going for the rest of the week, and who knows after that. So at about half 9 I went and got changed and went out.
    Did all the first 8 min jog (very happy) and did all the 2nd 8 min jog bar a 30 second water break after jogging the hill I've been walking all the previous times so far. Very glad I finally managed to run it rather than walk. Big thing that helped me today was I bought a wee sports watch with a stop watch and I started it timing as I jogged, and even though I was tiring and wanted to stop, looking at the timer and knowing I hadn't much to go made me perservere, so it was definitely a good investment.
    I thought I'd be killed with a stitch or a cramp cos I hadn't left it a massive amount of time after eating dinner, and had been very bad today with my water drinking (3 cups of tea and a 500ml bottle of water :eek:) but it was fine.
    Couple of questions though for the more experienced and knowledgable on here:
    • I did 1.2km in 8 mins. Is this relatively good? I have nothing to compare it to.
    • I know I can do the 2x8 min jogs now for sure, but should I just do a final repeat session on Sunday to finish out the week?
    • Mentally, I feel ready for the 20 min jog, but how do I know if I'm ready physically? Each time I finished the 8 min jog I was genuinely happy to have it over me and be able to walk again. I didn't exactly feel like I could go on much longer.
    I know some people have said they found the 8 min jogs tricky and then have gone on to run 20 mins without any problems. I was just wondering does anyone have anything to share on the transition from 8 mins to 20 mins?

Thanks guys, I think without the support on here I'd have given up long ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For the 20 minute run... slow it down as much as you can, just try and run really easy and comfortable. You will be able to do it, the rest of the program has prepared you well. Just relax and enjoy it :)

For the 20 minute run... slow it down as much as you can, just try and run really easy and comfortable. You will be able to do it, the rest of the program has prepared you well. Just relax and enjoy it :)
    Haha I feel like I'm going pretty slow as I am! I'm not sure I can get much slower or I'll be walking! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

You'll surprise yourself if you try the 20 minutes, I didn't see how I could be ready but I got through it fine, you've been running for a over a month now and you can totally do it! Go you! :D

You'll surprise yourself if you try the 20 minutes, I didn't see how I could be ready but I got through it fine, you've been running for a over a month now and you can totally do it! Go you! :D
    I started on 10th May, so I'm stretching it out a bit as is lol, but maybe you're right, maybe I could do it. Still can't find a suitable route :mad: but I'm working on it! 20 mins just seems like a whole lot of running :D

Well I'm back from my second repeat of W5D2. I was meant to do it last night but got caught up helping my OH do his VAT returns so it ended up too late. Was here after my dinner thinking I had absolutely no motivation to go at all. Zero. I'd say I was the least motivated than I had been in a long while. But I knew if I didn't go tonight I'd end up not going for the rest of the week, and who knows after that. So at about half 9 I went and got changed and went out.
    Did all the first 8 min jog (very happy) and did all the 2nd 8 min jog bar a 30 second water break after jogging the hill I've been walking all the previous times so far. Very glad I finally managed to run it rather than walk. Big thing that helped me today was I bought a wee sports watch with a stop watch and I started it timing as I jogged, and even though I was tiring and wanted to stop, looking at the timer and knowing I hadn't much to go made me perservere, so it was definitely a good investment.
    I thought I'd be killed with a stitch or a cramp cos I hadn't left it a massive amount of time after eating dinner, and had been very bad today with my water drinking (3 cups of tea and a 500ml bottle of water :eek:) but it was fine.
    Couple of questions though for the more experienced and knowledgable on here:
    • I did 1.2km in 8 mins. Is this relatively good? I have nothing to compare it to.
    • I know I can do the 2x8 min jogs now for sure, but should I just do a final repeat session on Sunday to finish out the week?
    • Mentally, I feel ready for the 20 min jog, but how do I know if I'm ready physically? Each time I finished the 8 min jog I was genuinely happy to have it over me and be able to walk again. I didn't exactly feel like I could go on much longer.
    I know some people have said they found the 8 min jogs tricky and then have gone on to run 20 mins without any problems. I was just wondering does anyone have anything to share on the transition from 8 mins to 20 mins?

Thanks guys, I think without the support on here I'd have given up long ago!

The thing to remember is that you have already jogged for 16mins in one session with the 8 x 2 min and only a short little break in between.

So you're really not pushing yourself that much further than you've already done. C25k has very slyly already prepared you for 20mins but you actually don't realise that until you go out there and actually get to the end.

8mins 1.2k is good. It means you should cover the 5k in 35 - 40mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

I started on 10th May, so I'm stretching it out a bit as is lol, but maybe you're right, maybe I could do it. Still can't find a suitable route :mad: but I'm working on it! 20 mins just seems like a whole lot of running :D

Terly you've now run 16 mins so the 20 min run is only 4 more :D I helped Cherub with her 20 min run a few weeks ago as she was having trouble. Half way through she was wrecked and wanted to stop but she kept going and was flying it towards the end, I was the one that who's energy was flagging! She could have run another 5 mins no bother!

Could come up to sligo if you want hehe! :D;)

I'd say try and do the 20min run on Sunday, if you feel ready for it mentally, you'll be able to do it no problem. Don't be worried about not being able to do it physically, in reality its only 4 more mins than you've run before :D xx

• Advertisement

C25k has very slyly already prepared you for 20mins but you actually don't realise that until you go out there and actually get to the end.
    I sure hope so :D
    8mins 1.2k is good. It means you should cover the 5k in 35 - 40mins
    That fact alone has surprised me more than anything, I think if I could do 5k at some point in 35-40 mins I think I'd be capable of anything!! :D;)

I'd say try and do the 20min run on Sunday, if you feel ready for it mentally, you'll be able to do it no problem. Don't be worried about not being able to do it physically, in reality its only 4 more mins than you've run before :D xx
    The more I think about it, the more I think I probably will give the 20 mins a go on Sunday, and writing that just made me go AAARGH!!! lol ;)I think I'll try to find a good route tomorrow even if it means walking off in one direction and seeing where it goes!
    I'd so love to come on here on Sunday night saying I'd done the 20 mins, so yeah I think I'll give it a go :D:eek:
    I don't think I need to drag you to Sligo quite yet BN, but never say never!! :)

Advertisement