Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 buttercup01

hi Im a newbie here and like you Beyond I am also starting wk 3 of c25k tonight kind of dreading it as i found wk 2 tough I ended up doing it for 2 wks, have a feeling I may have to do that with week 3 but will see how it goes tonight and report back. Its great having someone on here thats on the same wk. Im also thinking of joining the gym and doing that in between my running days as weight wise Im not seeing results with the running!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bey0nd

hi Im a newbie here and like you Beyond I am also starting wk 3 of c25k tonight kind of dreading it as i found wk 2 tough I ended up doing it for 2 wks, have a feeling I may have to do that with week 3 but will see how it goes tonight and report back. Its great having someone on here thats on the same wk. Im also thinking of joining the gym and doing that in between my running days as weight wise Im not seeing results with the running!:confused:

Hello fellow Week 3er :) I've sent you a PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The one thing everyone tells you is to do weights for losing fat. So do that in between even if you just get some dumbells.

Btw I also couldnt' see any difference until someone I see once in a while asked out of the blue was I exercising, cos it certainly showed :o:)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Keep am eye on your food Intake. There are lots of calories in junk food, and even if you are eating good food you may be over eating. Week five is when most see weight loss occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Im also thinking of joining the gym and doing that in between my running days as weight wise Im not seeing results with the running!:confused:

Hiya, good idea adding a weight program. As bluewolf said, everybody seems to recommend it for fat loss & general tightening up. You might not be dropping weight if all you are doing is the c25k program. I think its great but at week three, if you think about it, you are only doing 3 x 30 mins exercise a week and less than half of that is jogging. Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking it at all, its just that I don't think that that would make a huge difference to weightloss.

Maybe have a look through these for some tips - its a great blog I think:
    http://thetransformationcatalyst.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/body-weight-workout/
    http://thetransformationcatalyst.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/shed-fat-fast-the-guaranteed-summer-plan/
    http://thetransformationcatalyst.wordpress.com/2010/06/01/weight-training-for-women/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Hey everyone,

I'm on Week 4 at the moment, and I'm having a bit of trouble. I got through the first 3 minute jog alright, but during the first 5 minute one, I tweaked my right knee a little. I decided to continue since this happened to my left knee at the start of Week 3 but went away after a couple of minutes. However, this didn't go away, and after making it through the second 3 minute jog, I decided to stop for fear of causing any serious damage. The problem might lie in the fact that I do a 3 minute warm-up walk as opposed to 5 minutes. I didn't think it would be that important, but is it? Or does the problem lie elsewhere?

Learn to walk before you try to run. Seriously anyone doing C25K is a couch potato. Just get this under your belt/completed before you start doing weights.

Don't bite off more than you chew.
    Hiya, good idea adding a weight program. As bluewolf said, everybody seems to recommend it for fat loss & general tightening up. You might not be dropping weight if all you are doing is the c25k program. I think its great but at week three, if you think about it, you are only doing 3 x 30 mins exercise a week and less than half of that is jogging. Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking it at all, its just that I don't think that that would make a huge difference to weightloss.

Maybe have a look through these for some tips - its a great blog I think:
    http://thetransformationcatalyst.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/body-weight-workout/
    http://thetransformationcatalyst.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/shed-fat-fast-the-guaranteed-summer-plan/
    http://thetransformationcatalyst.wordpress.com/2010/06/01/weight-training-for-women/

Warm up is critical

Warm down is critical

Stop running, and walk until knee is repaired.
    Hey everyone,

I'm on Week 4 at the moment, and I'm having a bit of trouble. I got through the first 3 minute jog alright, but during the first 5 minute one, I tweaked my right knee a little. I decided to continue since this happened to my left knee at the start of Week 3 but went away after a couple of minutes. However, this didn't go away, and after making it through the second 3 minute jog, I decided to stop for fear of causing any serious damage. The problem might lie in the fact that I do a 3 minute warm-up walk as opposed to 5 minutes. I didn't think it would be that important, but is it? Or does the problem lie elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

T-Square wrote: »
    Learn to walk before you try to run. Seriously anyone doing C25K is a couch potato. Just get this under your belt/completed before you start doing weights.

Personally speaking, I disagree with you. The death of a friends child recently has made a lot of people I know start doing c25k [with a view to all doing the mini marathon together next year]. Mostly, they are normal women who haven't run either ever or in a long time and would be well able to start a program doing lunges or other bodyweight exercises.

I probably assumed from buttercup's post that she was in a similar situation - ie out of shape but able to move. She mentioned wanting to speed up her weightloss by possibly joining a gym. The links I posted were about 1) about using simple bodyweight exercises - not necessarily in a gym, 2) explaining that this will not make a woman bulk up [generally a concern for women] and 3) diet tips on how to shed fat quickly. I didn't mention anything about lifting a lot of weights or difficult weight routines.

I am by no means an expert on this but the links I posted were written by a guy who is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Went out to do 20 min jog earlier, sun shining and everthing great. Was about 6 mins into jog and the rain came bucketing down, I was absolutely drowned in about 1 minute. Ended up turning around and coming back home.
    Bla, will try again tomorrow (and will wear rain jacket)
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

terlywerly wrote: »
    Went out to do 20 min jog earlier, sun shining and everthing great. Was about 6 mins into jog and the rain came bucketing down, I was absolutely drowned in about 1 minute. Ended up turning around and coming back home.

Hey you did 6 or 7 mins thats still impressive and way more than you were able to do when you started so hun don't feel disappointed! The hardest part is getting ready and getting yourself out the door so at the very least you achieved that today :D xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

terlywerly wrote: »

Well done on getting out there, that's the biggest hurdle. I have the 20 min run coming up on Sunday (assuming I survive the 8 minutes tomorrow) and trying not to get too nervous about it! Good luck on the next attempt, hope the weather improves for you!

Did Week 5 Day 1 yesterday. The running part was grand, seem to have adapted to the 5 mins, surprised at myself after finding it so hard the first time. Gale force winds made it tougher though, was running against the wind for half of it. Also got stopped by a tourist asking for directions, they obviously couldn't see I was using all my energy and concentration to keep running! That messed it up a bit because I had to pause and restart the first run, but was ok in the end. The signals for days 2 and 3 of this week on the podcast have kinda scared me though, have to try not to think about 8 mins or 20 mins too much before doing them or I'll get very scared!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Bit of advice guys and gals - I attempted the 90/120 intervals on Monday.
    Had to stop three times during it to recover from the running as the walking interval just didn't seem long enough.
    Sooooo should I try it again tonight or go back to week 1 and the 60/90 second intervals...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sh0egal

Hi....I've recently discovered C25K, did start week one about 3 weeks ago but did find it hard, I wouldn't be used to jogging at all!!! I found the first one tough, had to stop in the middle of the third run because I thought my calves were going to explode!!! I walked through the rest of it, didn't want to stop totally... the second time I did it my calves tightened up again but I did all the runs and it was slightly better the third time. I said that I would continue doing week 1 until it didn't hurt!!! Saying that, I haven't done it in 2 weeks, between one thing and another I just didn't have the chance. I'm joining this thread now and I'm gonna start back on week one this week and gonna record my progress here, it might make me more likely to do it!!Looking forward to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Hi im new to this plan! Im on w1D3 tomorrow! Do many of you do this plan on a treadmill? I started on a treadmill so I can tell the time accurately. I need to get proper runners but Im loving it so far. Really really wanna get fit!

Man am I pooped now...

Did W2D2 tonight after a disastrous attempt at W2D1 on Monday - this wasn't as bad, I didn't have to take breaks and I managed to run all the 90 second intervals bar the last one, where I just didn't have the energy to lift my poor legs.

Did better than I thought I would being honest with myself so I'm glad I took the plunge to do W2D2 instead of going back to repeat week 1. Might have to repeat week 2 a few times though :D

After getting some virus, I couldn't run for five days.
    So, went back to w1s3, which I finished, and did some stretches at the end,
    now I can't bend my knee!! :eek:

It isn't sore, except for when I bend, climb stairs, then it is really sore, can't bend it sore.

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on?

Wearning new Brooke Beasts from Amphibian King, but I don't think that has any bearing on it, I'm convinced it was the warm down streches.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Hello!

I've been lurking around here for the last couple of weeks, soaking up inspiration, so have decided to finally post!:D

I started c25k properly last week (after a false start interrupted by a 3 wk hol). I figure if I don't do it now during the summer, while I'm working half days and the weather is so fantastic, then I'll never do it! The thought of being able to run 5k by September is really incredible and I really want to get there!!!!!

I'm using a great podcast from a site called "Running into Shape". Lots of Rhianna and Beyonce and general "bouncy" music :P. It makes such a difference!
    sh0egal wrote: »
    I'm joining this thread now and I'm gonna start back on week one this week and gonna record my progress here, it might make me more likely to do it!!Looking forward to it :)

Am with you big time on this one sh0egal! Announcing it here, even in total anonymity, makes me feel like I have to be a woman of my word :)

Man am I pooped now...
    Did better than I thought I would being honest with myself so I'm glad I took the plunge to do W2D2 instead of going back to repeat week 1. Might have to repeat week 2 a few times though :D

Fair play to you! I started week 2 just tonight. Would not let myself think about the fact that it was 90 seconds, kept trying to distract myself with nice thoughts :D. Got there in the end. I really feel like if I do it once then I've removed the mental block in my head - the little voice that tells me at the beginning of every session that I'm going to FAIL! If I manage to get through it once then I tell myself it's only logical that I'll be able to do it again. :)

Looking forward to chatting with you all over next 9 weeks and beyond!

Fair play to you! I started week 2 just tonight. Would not let myself think about the fact that it was 90 seconds, kept trying to distract myself with nice thoughts :D. Got there in the end. I really feel like if I do it once then I've removed the mental block in my head - the little voice that tells me at the beginning of every session that I'm going to FAIL! If I manage to get through it once then I tell myself it's only logical that I'll be able to do it again. :)

Looking forward to chatting with you all over next 9 weeks and beyond!

Oh good luck eager tortoise - there is plenty of support, advice and encouragement from the posters here.

I was dreading tonight purely because Monday was so bad, but I was mentally shouting at myself that I only have 30 secs left, 20, 10 etc....it seemed to work :D

Next session will be Saturday, so I'll have to see how I get on with that before deciding whether or not to progress to Week 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭woohoo

Hi
    I have been following this thread for a while now, I am really impressed and TBH a bit jealous of everybody's progress! I completed week 3 about a month ago but I started the gym and got distracted with the cross trainer & spinning classes. I really want to get back into the running & I feel motivated now from reading other peoples progress!
    I used to have problems with "running out of steam" when running. I am trying to diet so I don't eat big meals anymore..anybody else diet & still manage to run without running out of energy!?
    I am going to start back on week 2. I am doing swimming lessons every Tuesday & Thursday for the month of July. Thinking about running, Monday, Wednesday & Saturday. Hoping to do a spin class on Friday to set me up for the weekend. I know it is a lot but I get bored easily & I really want to do all 3!
    I will post my progress which will hopefully keep me engaged in running, I hope I am as successful as other people here, great thread too BTW! :)

Am a bit behind due to personal problems.
    Hopefully starting week 5 again soon :rolleyes: Maybe this weekend.
    Never did get to those 8min runs lol

Pants!!

With all the exercise I've put in I've actually managed to gain weight over the last two weeks :(

Pants!!

With all the exercise I've put in I've actually managed to gain weight over the last two weeks :(

How are your clothes fitting? I have lost an abnormal amount of weight lately but I suspect lack of exercise means a good bit is muscle, so maybe you're gaining that?

bluewolf wrote: »
    How are your clothes fitting? I have lost an abnormal amount of weight lately but I suspect lack of exercise means a good bit is muscle, so maybe you're gaining that?

No change in my clothes....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Pants!!

How's your food intake been? Be honest now :)

How's your food intake been? Be honest now :)

Its not any different than before - I am a chocoholic, but I don't eat chocolate at work anymore so that cuts out a lot!!

I live on stir fried meat and veggies for dinner, lunch during the day is usually soup & sandwich or a mixed salad from the deli in work.
    If I have a dinner at work during the day I'd have the smaller meal in the evening or cereal when I'm really lazy!!

I also drink about 2 litres of water a day and another 750mls when on the treadmill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

bluewolf wrote: »
    Am a bit behind due to personal problems.
    Hopefully starting week 5 again soon :rolleyes: Maybe this weekend.
    Never did get to those 8min runs lol
    Ah don't talk to me, I'm behind too... still haven't done the 20 mins. OH has been sick and now I have what he has I think so I feel bla. We will get there though bluewolf!!!

And hello, welcome and good luck to all the new posters! Welcome to Couch to 5k! :D

woohoo wrote: »
    I used to have problems with "running out of steam" when running. I am trying to diet so I don't eat big meals anymore..anybody else diet & still manage to run without running out of energy!?

Hi, best of luck getting back into the running! I'm combining it with watching what I eat, and haven't really had any problems with it - don't know whether my meals are much bigger than yours or not, but I find I can't run on a full stomach anyway, and have to wait at least 2 hours after eating before running. Maybe you'll find that you need to leave less time after a meal if your meals are very small. I've had to go out a couple of times before breakfast due to being stuck for time, and just had a banana and a glass of water 20 mins before going out, and that has been fine too. Swimming and spinning sounds like a fun combination of exercise, you'll be in great shape this summer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

W1D2 Complete

Well, all I can say is wow, what a difference a few days makes. As some of you know, I had to halt C25K a few weeks ago because of a slight knee injury. Well I started back on Monday or Tuesday of this week as the knee was feeling pretty much better.

I decided earlier this week to just go back to the start and begin at Week 1, Day 1. I had meant to move onto Day 2 then on Wednesday or Thursday but lazyness got in the way. Again today, lazyness was getting in the way. I was saying to myself "ah, you've some work to do, go out tomorrow morning."

Then something sort of snapped in my head because of something completely unrelated, or somewhat unrelated to being thin, so I just said "right, I'm going out and doing this now."

But I have to say it was great. For some reason I had a ton of speed today and was actually able to run as opposed to slowly jog. Don't get me wrong, I was glad when the end of the 60 seconds came each time as I was getting fairly pooped but I just felt like I had so much speed and energy. It was great. I don't know how or why, but I'm not complaining.

Even now, about 40 mins later I still feel good. My legs are a tiny bit tired but other than that, I feel quite good. I was considering meeting up with the FD girls tonight but I'm feeling so good I don't want to ruin it by drinking :) Although to be honest, I need to save some money anyway.

Advertisement