Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Right maybe something is going on....the OH has said that my legs are more "solid" and I've noticed that although they still look fat, you can see definition in them when I walk....

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Right maybe something is going on....the OH has said that my legs are more "solid" and I've noticed that although they still look fat, you can see definition in them when I walk....

Excellent!! Well done, can't wait til someone tells me I'm looking more toned :D

And just when I was trying to decide if I would brave the rain tomorrow for w2 2....has to be done, clearly :)

Excellent!! Well done, can't wait til someone tells me I'm looking more toned :D

And just when I was trying to decide if I would brave the rain tomorrow for w2 2....has to be done, clearly :)

Oh do!!!

I did W2D2 on Wednesday and was ok - D3 today.
    Depending on how that goes I might repeat week 2, or maybe attempt W3D1 on Monday and then decide if I should go back!!

Week Two is hard - or at least it is for me!!

Just did Day three there, had to stop half way through to give my legs a break - got back on the treadmill and managed to get as far as the last 90 second run, could only manage 60 seconds and then nearly fell off the treadmill cos my legs could take no more.

My legs are letting me down - now I know its not all their fault as they have nearly 16 stone landing on them with every step, but the lack of co-operation won't shift the extra weight!! I'll have to have a stern talk with them later when they wake up.

My breathing and pulse seems fine, its just the lazy legs that are not up to scratch.

Think I'll be repeating Week Two, next week....

right so further to my mini whinge about putting weight on, and not noticing any difference in my clothes....

got the tape measure out today, it would seem that I've lost an inch off my waist, and inch from the widest part of me (circa the belly button flabby spare tyre area) and I've lost a few cms from my thighs and calves....

So maybe I've just been squeezing myself into ill fitting clothes for months and can't tell the difference yet..

Anyway, that info has given me a bit of drive to keep going if that is the result I get after only a few weeks...

• Advertisement

right so further to my mini whinge about putting weight on, and not noticing any difference in my clothes....

got the tape measure out today, it would seem that I've lost an inch off my waist, and inch from the widest part of me (circa the belly button flabby spare tyre area) and I've lost a few cms from my thighs and calves....

So maybe I've just been squeezing myself into ill fitting clothes for months and can't tell the difference yet..

Anyway, that info has given me a bit of drive to keep going if that is the result I get after only a few weeks...

That's brilliant! Great result - how many weeks since you began this? Are you doing anything else aside from running? Whatever the case it's really motivating!!!

I have never tried running on a treadmill. How do you find it in general? I run in a local park (went yesterday for w2 day2, between the showers!). I like doing it there because there's plenty to distract me and I don't look at the time, just listen to the podcast. Also I tell myself things like "right, once I get to the other side of the pitch she'll have told me to stop". I actually think it's all in my head and if I manage to "trick" myself into doing it I'll be alright :D Talk about mental block!

That's brilliant! Great result - how many weeks since you began this? Are you doing anything else aside from running? Whatever the case it's really motivating!!!

I have never tried running on a treadmill. How do you find it in general? I run in a local park (went yesterday for w2 day2, between the showers!). I like doing it there because there's plenty to distract me and I don't look at the time, just listen to the podcast. Also I tell myself things like "right, once I get to the other side of the pitch she'll have told me to stop". I actually think it's all in my head and if I manage to "trick" myself into doing it I'll be alright :D Talk about mental block!

Just doing the C25K program - nothing else that I didn't do before. I don't drive so I walk to bus stops/luas stops etc and usually take the stairs instead of the lift at work. But I do have a lot of weight on me, so I'm guessing anything extra will shift it a bit to begin with!!

I prefer running on the treadmill cos noone else can see all my flabby bits wiggling and I can get really into it, without the embarrassment of being the fat chick trying to run around the local park!!
    I just throw on the radio really loud and get going. I do have to mentally shout at myself that I've only 20 secs left on the run interval and not to stop early etc etc.

Oh and I'm supposed to start W3D1 tomorrow, but think I'll repeat W2. Did a few weeks of walking on the treadmill first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Also I tell myself things like "right, once I get to the other side of the pitch she'll have told me to stop". I actually think it's all in my head and if I manage to "trick" myself into doing it I'll be alright :D Talk about mental block!

Funny you say that, I do the same thing with particular road signs, trees, etc.!
    Tricked myself into running for 20 minutes today :D (W5D3). Climbed Croagh Patrick yesterday. My calves are not thanking me for getting such abuse, but I'm glad I went for the run today. Had planned to stop as soon as my legs got sore or felt a cramp coming on, but as it turned out I managed to keep going the full 20 mins. I'm delighted and shocked at the same time! Made my day :)

That's brilliant! The running is definitely having an effect, well done! Was worth checking the inches to give you a boost, the hard work is paying off.

jw297 wrote: »
    That's brilliant! The running is definitely having an effect, well done! Was worth checking the inches to give you a boost, the hard work is paying off.

Yeah but I've a new problem now as I exceed the weight restriction on the treadmill by about 4lbs....I'm afraid of my life I'll break the damn thing after paying so much for it!!

Well done on the 20 min run btw, especially after the climb yesterday!!

• Advertisement

I managed to keep going the full 20 mins. I'm delighted and shocked at the same time! Made my day :)

Ah, brilliant!!!!!! The day I run 20 mins for the first time I think I'll throw a party :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

W1D3 Complete

So I've completed Week 1 of Couch to 5k, for the 2nd time. And I have to admit, I found Day 3 very hard today. I started out running quite fast but as the programme continue I progressively got slower and slower and was down to just a jog. I was quite tired today before I even went out and I guess doing the programme at 4pm in the blistering sunshine and 22 degree's didn't help either.

Anyway it's done now. I will most likely move onto Week 2 later this week. I preferred it as it seems to go faster. I think I prefer 90 second jogs to 60 second jogs where there are a lot more of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Tricked myself into running for 20 minutes today :D (W5D3). Climbed Croagh Patrick yesterday. My calves are not thanking me for getting such abuse, but I'm glad I went for the run today. Had planned to stop as soon as my legs got sore or felt a cramp coming on, but as it turned out I managed to keep going the full 20 mins. I'm delighted and shocked at the same time! Made my day :)
    Well done!! You are now ahead of me!!! Heading out for another go at it tonight. Even if it rains, even if I don't want to. I wanna go on to week 6!!! :D
    W1D3 Complete

So I've completed Week 1 of Couch to 5k, for the 2nd time. And I have to admit, I found Day 3 very hard today. I started out running quite fast but as the programme continue I progressively got slower and slower and was down to just a jog. I was quite tired today before I even went out and I guess doing the programme at 4pm in the blistering sunshine and 22 degree's didn't help either.

Anyway it's done now. I will most likely move onto Week 2 later this week. I preferred it as it seems to go faster. I think I prefer 90 second jogs to 60 second jogs where there are a lot more of them.
    I wish it was blistering sunshine here, its so dull and bla. Well done for finishing the week. I found week 2 better than week 1 when I did it.

Well that was suckie....15 minutes in I had to stop due to pain in the ankle area of my right leg :(
    Decided to do week 2 again, but only completed half of it...

Grandmaster well done on completion of week one - I think I'll go back to that again at this rate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That's pretty cool. I have to get back into week 5 again now that I'm moping around slightly less ;s

keep up the good work though everyone :D

Hope for us all!! ;)
    bluewolf wrote: »
    That's pretty cool. I have to get back into week 5 again now that I'm moping around slightly less ;s

keep up the good work though everyone :D
    Come on bluewolf!! We'll both tackle it this week and move on to week 6! I'm heading out in about an hour to do W5D3 (again...) so hopefully it won't lash rain on me this time!

Well I'm back from W5D3! Had to take a quick break to fix my sock which was slipping down (but too late, cos I think I see a blister on my foot :() and a couple of water breaks (allergies majorly playing up with this weather and if I hadn't taken a water break they would have been looking for me with a stretcher...). But its done. Not a strict 20 min jog, so I'm not sure if that qualifies me to go on, but I know if I did, I'd be well able for W6D1 and D2 before the 25 min jog. Anyone have any advice?
    I'm just so glad I actually got out to do it. Went a totally new route today, and ended up a fair bit away from the house, but 5 Queen songs later I was home :)
    Also, it rained and rained and rained. And stopped as I was walking up my street to the house, :rolleyes: typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Hi,
    I was directed here by brainyneuron, I've just decided to start the programme after a few health issues were resolved :) So hopefully I'll get W1D1 done and dusted tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

jokettle wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was directed here by brainyneuron, I've just decided to start the programme after a few health issues were resolved :) So hopefully I'll get W1D1 done and dusted tonight!

I'm there with you, just finished W1D1 about 30 mins ago and just in the door, feel slightly nauseous :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

omahaid wrote: »
    I'm there with you, just finished W1D1 about 30 mins ago and just in the door, feel slightly nauseous :D

Well done! You're already way ahead of me; I decided not to go tonight because it's raining and I haven't gotten rid of my cold yet :o but asap, I promise!

Did Week 6 Day 1 earlier today. Was absolutely wrecked, found it really tough to get through the last run. Kinda thought it might be easier because I got through the 20min run ok. Guess my legs are still tired after that. Rain didn't help either, where has the summer gone?!

Did Week 6 Day 1 earlier today. Was absolutely wrecked, found it really tough to get through the last run. Kinda thought it might be easier because I got through the 20min run ok. Guess my legs are still tired after that. Rain didn't help either, where has the summer gone?!
    Well done for getting out there doing W6D1! I'll be doing it tomorrow I think. I got drowned yesterday doing the 20 min jog and the heavy weather didn't help my allergies and sinus problems :(

terlywerly wrote: »
    Well done for getting out there doing W6D1! I'll be doing it tomorrow I think. I got drowned yesterday doing the 20 min jog and the heavy weather didn't help my allergies and sinus problems :(

Thanks! It's miserable enough running in the rain, fair play to you for getting through it with allergies as well, must be awful this time of year. Hope the weather clears up a bit soon!

Thanks! It's miserable enough running in the rain, fair play to you for getting through it with allergies as well, must be awful this time of year. Hope the weather clears up a bit soon!
    I think if I let my allergies and things stop me from doing stuff, I'd never do anything! But this rainy heavy weather is the worst. Along with the high pollen count I do nearly feel like I can't breathe! But I'll keep going anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ommnyom

Well done for getting through it, I did w6d2 yesterday and it was much easier thank w6d1 even though the blocks were longer. Hopefully it will be the same for you! I felt the exact same, thought that after doing the 20 I'd be well able, but I really had to push through the last 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ommnyom

terlywerly wrote: »

Well done on the 20 minutes! That was the scariest day for me for sure. The one thing about finishing a jogging session in the rain that's good is it makes me feel like I'm actually becoming a 'real' jogger :)

ommnyom wrote: »
    Well done for getting through it, I did w6d2 yesterday and it was much easier thank w6d1 even though the blocks were longer. Hopefully it will be the same for you! I felt the exact same, thought that after doing the 20 I'd be well able, but I really had to push through the last 5 minutes.

Thanks, glad to know it's not just me! Taking it easy today to make sure Im fully rested (or just lazy...) so hopefully the 10 mins tomorrow won't be too hard.

ommnyom wrote: »
    Well done on the 20 minutes! That was the scariest day for me for sure. The one thing about finishing a jogging session in the rain that's good is it makes me feel like I'm actually becoming a 'real' jogger :)
    Haha it was pretty scary, but its over now. Only 4 weeks of it left to go!

• Advertisement

Another bad session :(

Attempted W2D2 again... had to stop 15 mins in cos of the pain in my ankle again....
    I thought it might have been the new runners on Monday, but I used the well worn pair I've had all along tonight and no difference.
    Pain only starts on the 3rd interval and seems to be at the front of the ankle

So much for a 9 week programme!!

Advertisement