Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

Does anyone else find that when they run, their nose does too? It can get a bit annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Hi again - I picked up one of the shock absorber bras in champion for €20. They're not the ones hanging up, but they're in boxes on a stand. I bought a size smaller cos my size was too big - maybe I've lost some weight there!

My nose runs like mad too when training - I've been bringing tissues and blowing like mad! I feel like it's good to clear out!

I am planning on going into town and getting the gait thing done, but until then I need a pair of runners. Aldi have some for €20 on Thursday. Does anyone have any opinions in these?

Starting week 2 tomorrow - well done to everyone for getting off the couch. Strangely addictive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Melia wrote: »
    Does anyone else find that when they run, their nose does too? It can get a bit annoying!
    Yes, it drives me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

im in guys !!! completed W1D1 !!!!!!!!!!!! quite enjoyed it, i was pushed but not too much, worked up a nice sweat. feeelin' gooood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hey guys

I finished the C25k program today!

This wasn't planned....but it's Easter Sunday so surely I deserve some Easter Egg!

I'll keep you up to date on Life after C25k.....

By the way Melia, my nose runs too. It happens to me generally when I'm doing any exercise like walking or cycling. People are always asking me have you got a cold! Anyway, apparently it's very healthy because it means you're moving everything and you're getting rid of the gunk! Like blueirishangel said ...a good clear out. I know....gross...but actually it's great when you think about it! I actually don't find it as bad now as I did at the beginning so maybe thats a sign that there's less to clear out now, because I've been running regularly.

• Advertisement

Hehe sorry for the uberly enthusiastic last post! I should really have edited it a lil bit :D I guess I just have never felt this way about exercise before (liked walking but didn't LOVE it or anything!) and its given me such a boost this week, especially with getting under the stone mark.

Lila I really would urge you to get the right runners before you start jogging. I'm a poor-ish student too (only working part-time) but I think the shoes are so important, you don't want to do yourself an injury down the line with cheap runners. Maybe ask your parents to contribute half?
    I've been doing the programme for 4 weeks and I'm still a little embarrassed when proper joggers/runners pass me or when I see someone I know! But to be honest that feeling gets less as the weeks go by and as you get into longer jogging times. And what would happen if someone saw you? They'd just be thinking fair play to her for getting out and jogging, I wish I could do that too!)

Dollie thanks for the advice. I know its ages away yet but I kinda want to be prepared! I'll be finishing the 9th week around the same time as my exams so I want to make sure I keep it up and not just give up cos I'm stressed etc!

The runners that I bought are Brooks Glycerin 8. I went for a walk in the rain this morning and they did take in a little water above the toe area as its a mesh thingy there. Might wear the Lidl runners on wet days in future. When I got back from the walk I had a look inside the runner to look for a tag to see if it was possible at some stage to wash them and found this printed on the sole: (Dedicated to all the C25K-ers out there!)

'"The Koru is an important symbol to the Maori in New Zealand. It is the name given to the newborn, unferling fern frond and symbolises new life, growth, strength, and peace. The Koru represents renewal and hope for the future"

:)

Haha when I read your post at first I thought it actually said 'Dedicated to all the C25K-ers out there!" on your runners! I was like, thats mad!

I love the actual quote though. Thanks for posting it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I'd heard a few people talking about doing this and I always thought 'I'd never be able to run that far' but from reading up on it and reading this thread it does sound do-able, so I'm gonna give it a shot! I have a problem knee (fractured it a few years ago) but since I've lost a bit of weight it hasnt been giving me as much trouble so I hope it won't hamper my running. Week one starts tomorrow! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Aldi have running gear as and from 8 April - runners wouldn't be the best but the clothing is good for running!!! Affordable and good!

Once I have my back sorted I will be doing this programme!!!

Thanks Pembily, I'll keep an eye out!
    dolliemix wrote: »
    Hey guys

This wasn't planned....but it's Easter Sunday so surely I deserve some Easter Egg!

By the way Melia, my nose runs too. It happens to me generally when I'm doing any exercise like walking or cycling. People are always asking me have you got a cold! Anyway, apparently it's very healthy because it means you're moving everything and you're getting rid of the gunk! Like blueirishangel said ...a good clear out. I know....gross...but actually it's great when you think about it! I actually don't find it as bad now as I did at the beginning so maybe thats a sign that there's less to clear out now, because I've been running regularly.

That's amazing. You should be so proud of yourself for completing the program. Imagine, you can run solidly for five whole kilometres! And soon it'll be ten! That's the distance from O'Connell Street to Stillorgan!

Good to hear I'm not the only one with the nose problem - dolliemix, I have noticed it's not as bad as it was, so maybe you're right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I had a look inside the runner to look for a tag to see if it was possible at some stage to wash them and found this printed on the sole

A tip to all c25k'ers, never machine wash your runners, it will ruin them!! If you get them wet, stuff newspaper inside them and they wll dry out fairly quickly. Don't worry about the dirt, everyone has dirty runners, it's a sign you've actually been using them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Hi again - I picked up one of the shock absorber bras in champion for €20. They're not the ones hanging up, but they're in boxes on a stand. I bought a size smaller cos my size was too big - maybe I've lost some weight there!

My nose runs like mad too when training - I've been bringing tissues and blowing like mad! I feel like it's good to clear out!

I am planning on going into town and getting the gait thing done, but until then I need a pair of runners. Aldi have some for €20 on Thursday. Does anyone have any opinions in these?

Starting week 2 tomorrow - well done to everyone for getting off the couch. Strangely addictive!

Yeah I saw the ones hanging up and she said they weren't bras just tops with a small bit of support, she said they didn't have any of the sports bras in stock (in Galway). Got one in M&S for €24 in the end.

My nose always runs too-glad to know its not just me!

Don't get the Aldi runners if you want to do the C25K, they might be good enough for walking tho. I did get the Lidl runners but only as a backup pair. When you get your gait analysis done, they'll have some pairs of runners that you can try on. Ask them about gel cushioned soles bcos thats what mine have and they make SUCH a difference when you're walking and especially jogging-you bounce better in them or something! If the gait analysis ppl don't have the runners you're looking for, ask them if they would recommend somewhere like a sports shop etc. I paid 150 for my runners in Foot Soutions and it was definitely worth it!
    im in guys !!! completed W1D1 !!!!!!!!!!!! quite enjoyed it, i was pushed but not too much, worked up a nice sweat. feeelin' gooood :)

Congrats curly!!! :D Thats fantastic!! We'll be running a 5K race together in no-time!!
    dolliemix wrote: »
    Hey guys

OMG Congrats Dollie!!! Thats such an achievement!! And to think I'll be at the same stage in just 5 short weeks :eek: Crazy!! Roll on the mini-marathon in June-you'll be running and I'll be walking but we'll both be fitter than we were this time last year! :D
    I'd heard a few people talking about doing this and I always thought 'I'd never be able to run that far' but from reading up on it and reading this thread it does sound do-able, so I'm gonna give it a shot! I have a problem knee (fractured it a few years ago) but since I've lost a bit of weight it hasnt been giving me as much trouble so I hope it won't hamper my running. Week one starts tomorrow! :eek: :D

Woohoo TP!!! You definitely won't regret your decision! Best of luck for tomorrow, let us know how you get on!!
    Pembily wrote: »
    Aldi have running gear as and from 8 April - runners wouldn't be the best but the clothing is good for running!!! Affordable and good!

Once I have my back sorted I will be doing this programme!!!

Ooh might take a nose in there too, don't think i need anymore stuff but just in case! Thanks Pem. And def get the proper runners! :D
    menoscemo wrote: »
    A tip to all c25k'ers, never machine wash your runners, it will ruin them!! If you get them wet, stuff newspaper inside them and they wll dry out fairly quickly. Don't worry about the dirt, everyone has dirty runners, it's a sign you've actually been using them!!

Cool, thanks menoscemo! :D

Another extra tip for the newbies! Don't forget to start slow! My sister started the other day and did W1D1 at a full running speed and was dying after it! She's going to slow down in future but she hasn't given up either so woohoo!
    Melia I think this thread was a fantastic idea, people who may not have started the programme before are starting because they see real people (not svelte joggery types) doing it and finishing it without many problems! Its great to see so much interest in the thread and thats all down to you mainly!! :):D

Another extra tip for the newbies! Don't forget to start slow! My sister started the other day and did W1D1 at a full running speed and was dying after it! She's going to slow down in future but she hasn't given up either so woohoo!
    Melia I think this thread was a fantastic idea, people who may not have started the programme before are starting because they see real people (not svelte joggery types) doing it and finishing it without many problems! Its great to see so much interest in the thread and thats all down to you mainly!! :):D

Thank dolliemix! It was mainly her that inspired me to start, and I just started nagging everyone here because I wanted a bit of support, and people to talk to about it!

I did the whole full-speed W1D1 thing too... it's a hell of a lot easier when you just jog!

Did w2d1 today. I found the last run difficult! New sports bra helped. Being a bank holiday, there was a lot more people out in park than usual - however, I thought I'd be morto but I wasn't! Gaining confidence and kinda thinking I deserve to be running/walking around as much as anyone else!

Just finished W1D2 . I am not sure if I am doing it at the correct pace. In the 31 mins I am covering 2.2 miles. Sorry i will have to get organised and convert to km as it is a 5 k programme ! In the meantime does that distance sound ok to anyone ?

conversion is 2.2 miles = 3.54 km. thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

Just done W4 D1 today. Had chocolate for breakfast and very nearly turned today into a duvet day cause its so miserable out. Good sense won in the end and i went gym to do it rather than face the wind ( i know i'm a wus)

It was the 5 minute stints that freaked the hell out of me but i really managed them ok. Second round got easier than the first. I think having a time goal to reach is great. It goes to show you really can make it to the wekly goals if you build up your fitness or stamina or whatever it is that allows you to finish the stint you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

kikililly wrote: »
    Just done W4 D1 today. Had chocolate for breakfast and very nearly turned today into a duvet day cause its so miserable out. Good sense won in the end and i went gym to do it rather than face the wind ( i know i'm a wus)

It was the 5 minute stints that freaked the hell out of me but i really managed them ok.

Good for you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Done with the first week now, not too bad at all :) I'm slightly embaressed that I went vis Lidl on my way back and instead of leaving with just the veg as planned, I walked out with a running jacket, cadio monitor and a pair of 'sports' sunglasses also. Advertisers dream me.... :D

Heading out now for my last week 3 session... I was close to not going, but I need a break from this stupid college stuff! Wish me luck.

Melia wrote: »
    Heading out now for my last week 3 session... I was close to not going, but I need a break from this stupid college stuff! Wish me luck.

Good luck Melia. I'm the same. Not in the mood today. All I have to do is 30 mins cross-training, so I walk is all I need to do. I ate for Ireland yesterday and i bet thats whats making me feel sluggish.

If you go now...I'll go.....:D

• Advertisement

Okay, I'm heading out the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Hi all, well I was supposed to be doing w9d3 of c25k yesterday and day 1 of my 5-10k program today, but my plans have been ruined by a horrible tummy bug/fever/evil sickness. I'm really bummed. Hoping to get out tomorrow but wouldn't be banking on it cos I'm still feeling crap.
    Looking on the bright side, what a surprise and change that I'm bummed because I CANT excercise, really doesn't sound like me! Imagine me jealous of ye who are getting out? Madness. Hope ye are enjoying it!

Ah lads. I got out and the heavens opened and my MP3 player was dead, and I think it's just a sign.

I got ten minutes of a walk, I'm soaked and pissed off. Going to work on my damn presentation.

You can do it tomorrow. You can't control the weather!

I did a 50 min stroll! Stopping for a decaf take away coffee along the way. Not sure thats what Hal Higdon meant by cross-training! lol! :D

Back on track tomorrow with a 2 mile run and some yoga.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

Followers of Melia's cult........ ahem I mean C25Kers!!! ;)

Just saw this now

http://www.rte.ie/fashion/2010/0401/lifestyleadidas.html

Exchange your old runners at lifestyle sports and get back 25% on two branded runners!! might be worth looking into!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

W1 D1 down! :D It was tough but good, really glad I started it! On the plus side, my dodgy knee didn't give me any trouble at all. I had the constant running nose that a few others have mentioned tho so will have to sort that out. Don't think I did enough stretches before going out either so I'll work on that too. Roll on Wednesday and D2! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Right going to start this tomororw.... if I post here I'll have to do it :) Have one of the ipod programmes downloaded and ready to go.

I did the Hal Higdon programme a couple of years ago and found it great, but never kept it up so back to square one now. Can run for abut 10 minutes and thats about it! Going on hols in 3 weeks so thats my first goal, hoping to lose half a stone by then. Have about 2 stone to lose.

Will give the programme a go and might try a few walks on the days in between just to keep the exercise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Wow great to see so many people posting here! Best of luck to those just starting! :D

I did the first day of Week 5 this morning. It was less jogging than last week (15 mins rather than 16 last week) but it was in longer intervals (three 5 min jogs). The first and last one were grand but the middle one was torture!! I really thought i was going to have to stop half way through-I was nearly wheezing and my legs were like lead! Stayed jogging really slowly until I finished but it wasn't pleasant!! It may just have been the amount of exercise I did yesterday affecting my legs but if I'm like this for 5 mins i'm def not looking forward to the 8 min jogs on Wed :eek: *Positive thinking tho-or at least trying to!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

Morning ladies!! Good see everyone in high motivated spirits, it really spurs me on then! I did all of week 6 since las thursday. I ran saturday and sunday which were intervals and then this morning I did W6D3 then this morning which was ......a 25min run! I got SOAKED in the first two seconds and then ended up having to cut my route short and repeat it cos the road was flooded but i did it and its done and I feel super now. I must look ahead and see what week7 is, cos thats thursday morning.

I also got my new runners, i had a choice after the gait analysis of Asics 2150 or Nike Stability and i picked the nikes because they felt way better. My hips definitely feel better already, there is unreal support in them at teh sides especailly.

• Advertisement

shipwreck wrote: »
    Followers of Melia's cult........ ahem I mean C25Kers!!! ;)

Just saw this now

http://www.rte.ie/fashion/2010/0401/lifestyleadidas.html

Exchange your old runners at lifestyle sports and get back 25% on two branded runners!! might be worth looking into!!!!

Just clicked this and then clicked on to marathon site. I see a 5 mile race/run on July 17th. Anyone doing this? I had the Simon Fun Run in October earmarked as a goal but July might be more challenging...

Advertisement