Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Week 2, Day 3 Complete

Went out early this morning (about 6.30am) to do this. The main reason was that I felt like crap and I thought some exercise might help. I think it has somewhat. I was exhausted but the 90 second jogs were fine, although I did them very slowly. I just had no energy. But I had to get out of the apartment and do stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Did Week 5 Day 1 yesterday. Not as bad as I thought, but I fear the worst is yet to come this week.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if gym treadmills have distance in miles or kilometres? The ones at my gym are made by Cybex International if that makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ommnyom

Getting back into the C25K is scaring me a bit. It was this time last week that I did the w6d2, but I stopped exercising for a few days because I pulled a muscle. I'm really dreading trying w6d1 all over again because I feel my body will have forgotten that it was getting used to the jogging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

ommnyom wrote: »
    Getting back into the C25K is scaring me a bit. It was this time last week that I did the w6d2, but I stopped exercising for a few days because I pulled a muscle. I'm really dreading trying w6d1 all over again because I feel my body will have forgotten that it was getting used to the jogging.

Good luck getting back into C25K. Im sure your body will remember what it was at after one or two runs. Maybe take it easy for the first one to see how it goes.

Did W7D1 today (25 mins). Was so so tough. Had a really late night last night so was tired before I even started, and havn't been drinking enough water the last couple of days, so I think the combination of tiredness and dehydration made it really difficult. Dragged myself through, but my legs felt like lead, wasn't even that I was getting too out of breath or anything, just couldn't find the energy to move my legs. Wasn't remotely enjoyable today :( Hopefully a couple of good night's sleep and plenty of water will make Day 2 go better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

About to start week 4 tommorow night .
    Found week two a bit harder than week 3, really liking the program so far ,
    the thought of some 5 minute jogs tommorow night are daunting but im sure i will have no real problem , must get an early night tonight and keep hydrated tommorw , and stay positive half the battle is mental :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Can anyone offer any advice on Week 5 Day 3? It's the first 20 minute run of the entire programme and I'm not looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

W2D2 done! Not too bad today, although I suspect that I subconsciously slowed down the pace. Either way, still jogging!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Can anyone offer any advice on Week 5 Day 3? It's the first 20 minute run of the entire programme and I'm not looking forward to it.

Try and trick yourself into it!
    or at least go "ok until the next lamppost" and then "ok until the next sign" etc
    Just give it your best shot sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

omahaid wrote: »
    W2D2 done! Not too bad today, although I suspect that I subconsciously slowed down the pace. Either way, still jogging!

I can't do anything but a slow pace!!
    I missed doing a repeat of W2D1 on Monday evening after a close call on the bus on the way home, I nearly passed out was seriously woozy the whole way home - so decided to have a good dinner, a lot of fluids and an early night - however, it didn't quite work out as I had planned as I was tossing and turning all night!!

Anyway, I've another attempt at a week two session tonight, if the bus journey doesn't induce the same reaction as Monday.

I can't do anything but a slow pace!!
    I missed doing a repeat of W2D1 on Monday evening after a close call on the bus on the way home, I nearly passed out was seriously woozy the whole way home - so decided to have a good dinner, a lot of fluids and an early night - however, it didn't quite work out as I had planned as I was tossing and turning all night!!

Anyway, I've another attempt at a week two session tonight, if the bus journey doesn't induce the same reaction as Monday.

Best of luck! I'm handling week 2 alright, and week 3 doesn't look impossible. But then I look at week 4 :eek: there's a big gap

• Advertisement

omahaid wrote: »
    Best of luck! I'm handling week 2 alright, and week 3 doesn't look impossible. But then I look at week 4 :eek: there's a big gap

You're obviously fitter than me - week 1 was torture for me :eek: but I progressed to week 2 and I'm on my 3rd repeat of it, as yet I've not managed to complete week 2 as required - I've had to skip a day due to illness or my poor little legs couldn't do it - so I'm staying where I am till I manage the full set :D

W2D1 Complete (properly) YAY!

That wasn't as tough as previous attempts thank Christ :D
    Managed it though, so I'll do W2D2 on Friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

W1D3 finished :) Found it a bit difficult as I ate dinner right before heading out, because I left work late blah blah blah...basically, I planned it poorly so it was harder to move with a full tummy! I managed to get through it all though :)

I'm off to have the world's longest shower after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just relax into it, and slow down. You'll be fine. :)

You can do it! Have you done it yet? This was the biggie of the whole program for me. I figured once I could do that 20 minutes I can do 30 for sure. Just keep going, it's definitely more psychological than physical.. although I was huffing and puffing along for most of it. When I got half way, I started imaging that I had just started jogging and that I only had a 10 minute jog to do. Best of luck anyways if you haven't done it yet!

Oh, and yey repeated w6d1 again today, so I'm back into it. I thought I was doing 10 and 10 like w6d2 so the first 5 min was a pleasant surprise. Got a cramp at the end though and felt like throwing up. Not pleasant, but I'm happy now I got through it. I'm going to hold off getting back into the circuit training till tomorrow. I don't think my tummy could handle crunches right now!

W2D3 complete, onto W3!! Although I do feel the start of shin splints coming on...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Started week 4 today! Manic day all in all but made time to do the run so had to be sure to make time to post :D

Am so happy I've made it this far at least but to be honest today was quite difficult. I'm 100% sure this was because of a little voice in my head saying "5 minutes? You actually think you'll be able to run for 5 minutes straight??? Have you lost your marbles?" ;) However, I made it through, only because of rigorous efforts to think of other, more interesting things while running so as to distract myself.

I'm starting to realise that my problem area now is my calves. This pleases me somewhat because in week one my problem area was my lungs and the feeling I used to get that they were going to spontaneously combust! A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a friend about getting fit and she said something that has really stuck with me; she said that fitness is not only about getting better/faster, it is also about reducing the length of time it takes you to recover after a bout of exercise. This is the one thing that has really kept me going these last couple of weeks. The running itself may still be murder on my legs, but I have found that within a couple of minutes of finishing the last run my breathing is pretty much back to normal. That's some pretty serious progress in my book! The ease of running will follow suit, I have every confidence!

Hope everyone else is going ok!! Loving the encouragement that's to be found on this forum :)

I'm already dreading starting Week 3 and it's just the 2 or 3 minute jogs, nevermind 20 minute!

A mate of mine said to me it's all in my head that I can't do it. He made a good/funny point. He said "I bet if a dog was chasing you, you could run for 2 or 3 minutes with no problem". He was really saying it's all just in my head and I'm just thinking I can't do it.

Anyway, I must remember that the next time when I'm sucking in breath wishing I could stop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

I've finished Week 3 and looking forward to Week 4. Jogging for 5 minutes is going to be a challenge but I find that belly breathing is a big help.

• Advertisement

vic20 wrote: »
    I've finished Week 3 and looking forward to Week 4. Jogging for 5 minutes is going to be a challenge but I find that belly breathing is a big help.

What's belly breathing? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What's belly breathing? :o

There are three ways of breathing - from your chest, ribs, and tummy.
    You can practice it by placing your hands on each area and feeling the breath.
    Tummy breathing is the deepest so you don't get winded easily!
    Found it helpful also

I must check that out actually. I usually catch my breath quick enough after the jogging portions of C25K but perhaps this might help even more. Thanks for the tip.

I must check that out actually. I usually catch my breath quick enough after the jogging portions of C25K but perhaps this might help even more. Thanks for the tip.

Its worth it grandmaster, I learnt proper breathing techniques as a singer, and although seriously unfit and overweight, I never have any issues with my breathing when doing the sessions - its always my legs that bail on me.

W2D2 completed (as required)

Jaysus that was a great session - I was actually enjoying it.
    Managed to do the session as required, no dragging feet, no pains in my legs :D

Definitely advocating the repeat till your comfortable system, I don't care how long it takes, if I have a session like that as proof that I'm getting somewhere then I don't care about the tough ones (granted I'll still moan!!)

If you Google "belly breathing" you'll find plenty of info. but this one explains it well http://running.about.com/od/howtorun/ht/deepbellybreathing.htm
    It's like running on enriched air :D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

There's a boards thread!! Woo! Finished week 3 today :) still my lungs holding me back, not my legs.. Dreading 5 minutes next week.. However, I was dreading 3 minutes this week ;)
    Great to see more people struggling through it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

W2D2 completed (as required)

Definitely advocating the repeat till your comfortable system, I don't care how long it takes, if I have a session like that as proof that I'm getting somewhere then I don't care about the tough ones (granted I'll still moan!!)

Excellent! That's great, proof that the system works! :)
    There's no better motivation than seeing a recognisable improvement. It's the best feeling in the world when you do something that you know for a fact you couldn't do only a short time ago. I think that's the feeling to which I am fast becoming addicted!

Jean wrote: »
    There's a boards thread!! Woo! Finished week 3 today :) still my lungs holding me back, not my legs.. Dreading 5 minutes next week.. However, I was dreading 3 minutes this week ;)
    Great to see more people struggling through it too!

Agreed! I like that this programme means running alone, where no one can really see how sweaty and dishevelled and red faced I get, but I also like that there's also an opportunity to compare notes in this virtual locker room :D

There's no better motivation than seeing a recognisable improvement. It's the best feeling in the world when you do something that you know for a fact you couldn't do only a short time ago. I think that's the feeling to which I am fast becoming addicted!

I totally agree with you! I'm just back from a 4th session of W3 before I start W4 tomorrow just because I felt like doing it:D

• Advertisement

I was like....oooh the 20 mins are up already, but my legs don't hurt....:D
    Think I might do another session today

Advertisement