Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Heading into Week Four Day One. Still at it. Tough going.

One thing re running shoes. I have been running in a pair of my regular trainers as I did not want to shell out on an expensive pair and then give up on the running. I've been combining running on the path and grass so it hasn't been too hard on the legs so far. I was fairly sceptical about the whole gait analysis, shoe chosing stuff. I had done an online questionnaire a couple of weeks ago and came up with a recommendation for a pair of Asics GL1140, at around €90-€100. Anyway, I was up in the Dundrum Town Centre doing the shopping yesterday and decided to have a sniff around Elvery's. The sales guy was great (of course he was !) but I ended up giving the gait analysis a go. Took 30 seconds and you review the video with the sales guy. Turned out the GL1140 was not the one for me and I ended up buying a pair of Saucony runners which were reduced from €100 to €65. No pushy sales stuff at all and the shoes are seriously comfortable. Delighted with myself and I am no longer the cynic I was. Happy to share my positive experience around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

W2D3 Completed

Right so after yesterdays triumphant experience, I decided to do the 3rd session of week two. Completed it as required, but the legs were a bit on the sore side - not overly, giving up pain, just a type of "this is working" pain. :D

Not sure if I'm ready for Week Three yet, but sure I'll give it a go tomorrow :o

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

garbanzo wrote: »
    Heading into Week Four Day One. Still at it. Tough going.

One thing re running shoes. I have been running in a pair of my regular trainers as I did not want to shell out on an expensive pair and then give up on the running. I've been combining running on the path and grass so it hasn't been too hard on the legs so far. I was fairly sceptical about the whole gait analysis, shoe chosing stuff. I had done an online questionnaire a couple of weeks ago and came up with a recommendation for a pair of Asics GL1140, at around €90-€100. Anyway, I was up in the Dundrum Town Centre doing the shopping yesterday and decided to have a sniff around Elvery's. The sales guy was great (of course he was !) but I ended up giving the gait analysis a go. Took 30 seconds and you review the video with the sales guy. Turned out the GL1140 was not the one for me and I ended up buying a pair of Saucony runners which were reduced from €100 to €65. No pushy sales stuff at all and the shoes are seriously comfortable. Delighted with myself and I am no longer the cynic I was. Happy to share my positive experience around it.

That's good to hear! I am in the very same situation with my runners (and incidentally also on week 4 :D) as I just started running in the ones I had from a couple of years ago which had seen very little of the light of day and so were still in fairly good nick. But as time goes on and I'm actually using them on a frequent basis I'm starting to contemplate the purchase of a new pair. I'll keep the Elvery's recommendation in mind! Only thing is that I have grown a bit sentimentally attched to the old ones so might be hard to give them up. They've just gotten me so much further along on the road to fitness than any pair I've had in the past :D
    W2D3 Completed

Right so after yesterdays triumphant experience, I decided to do the 3rd session of week two. Completed it as required, but the legs were a bit on the sore side - not overly, giving up pain, just a type of "this is working" pain. :D

Not sure if I'm ready for Week Three yet, but sure I'll give it a go tomorrow :o

Excellent! Best of luck! :)

Excellent! Best of luck! :)

Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just completed my second sessions of week 4 , the 5 min jogs are tough but i find them ok .

Im starting to get a niggling slight pain , where my leg meets my hip but like deep inside like its right in the joint .
    This is only present shortly after the run and sometimes for a short period the following morning any ideas ?? Only started happening since week 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Guys well done on the progress so far but its really really important to stick to the programme and leave at least a day between sessions. Believe me, I know how tempting it is to want to do more jogging sessions and how jealous I got of people going out on their jogs on my days off from jogging! But those off days are so so important to allow your body recover from the jog the day before. If you do too much you'll cause yourselves an injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

W3D1 complete! The 3 minute runs are tough (although I'm not sure what I was doing in the last minute could be called a run, maybe a funny walk :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

W3D1 Complete

No doubt about it, that was tough. I started week 3 today and I found it hard enough going, although it probably didn't help that for the first part of it, I wore a big fleece top and it was quite warm as it was. My excuse was that my normal gear was still drying so I had to wear some different stuff that's not as baggy and I wanted to cover up some more.

I went to my usual location but I could see a few women with prams loitering around and yapping away to each other incessantly and I didn't want some gawking audience, so I went to the first park that I tried W1D1 on several weeks ago. Again I had an audience there but it was a much bigger park and I just said "F*** this, I don't care" and I started my programme.

I was doing the first 90 second jog and my fecking tracksuit bottoms started to slide off :o. I had to stop to tie them really tight. They're quite baggy and have seen better days. The new ones were still drying from the wash yesterday. All of this meant that I missed out on some of the first 90 second jog.

But flip me, the 3 minute jogs were very tough. The first one I got completed but the second one was really, really though. I had to take out my iPhone to check the time and I seen 1m 15 seconds left and I was like "Ah come on, I'll never last that far". But I just kept going and managed to do it. I was gasping for air at the end and to be honest, my jog was pretty slow at that stage. The grass was quite long in places too so I don't know if that hindered me slightly as well.

It's been almost a week since I was last out on C25K so I know that has probably affected me, as has eating rubbish over the weekend.

Anyway, that's it complete for today. Still have no idea how I will ever be able to do 20 minutes non-stop.

I was doing the first 90 second jog and my fecking tracksuit bottoms started to slide off :o. I had to stop to tie them really tight.

Try dealing with that on a treadmill without falling over your own pants or falling off!!!
    :D

Well done on getting Week three started - I'll be attempting that on Wednesday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

W3D1 Complete
    Anyway, that's it complete for today. Still have no idea how I will ever be able to do 20 minutes non-stop.

Stick with it! When I read the plan I thought that I'd never jog 3 minutes but today I started W4 and was pleasantly surprised that I managed it. Take it slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Just finished W2D1, should have done it over the weekend but the boyfriend's birthday took priority (I know, no excuses!) I found it tough near the end, got through it all but I can't wait until this humidity eases up; I'm really hoping I'll find it a bit easier when the weather's cooler! I do weights in my house and while I do push myself, I'm never as exhausted as when I'm running in this heat.

Oh well, onwards and upwards :)

Oh, and! Just towards the end of today's session, when I was dreaming about collapsing on the grass and not moving for several hours, the Rocky theme that grandmaster recommended to me came on my mp3 :D I laughed aloud when I heard it and it really did inspire me to keep going! The power of 80's cheesy ballads :o So thanks again, grandmaster!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Started Week One, Day One today.

Now while I was fit years ago, I am going into this as your average couch potato so I think it will take me longer to do the 6 week plan than most people.

Some basic stats:

Sex: Couple of times a week
    Height: 6'4
    Weight: Not sure as I dont have a scales, but the last time I weighed myself which was about a year ago I was about 17 stone, though I think I have lost some in the past year.

I did the 5 minute brisk walk( I find walking very easy, its just when I try to run anywhere I get problems) . I did 3 sets of alternations of jogging and walking, and then did a brisk 5 minute walk home.

I know it wasnt very good, so maybe should not count as Week One Day One, but dont worry, I will continue to repeat Week One until I complete the plan and then move onto the next week.

One thing though, I have a strange pain in my right elbow when ever I put my hand up to say, scratch my right ear. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I have no pains in my feet or legs or anywhere else, its just when I bend my right arm. My girlfriend has suggested curing it by not bending my arm. :rolleyes:

Will post up day 2 on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well
    attempt #2 to get back on track after a month's hiatus...
    was a killer! But I think I will get back to week 5 if I persevere. Barely at week4 level at the moment. Trying to just force myself as much as possible for the half hour :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ommnyom

w6d2 completed (for the second time), it went well :D although the app kept resetting itself on the second run, so I think I did about 2 min extra just in case, but can't be sure.

I'm a bit worried about how to approach w6d3. I think I can do it.. with some very slow jogging.. but the trouble is I'm going away on holidays tomorrow. Do I bring the runners with me and head out on an unknown path, or do I forgo the jogging for the holidays. What do ye do when you have holidays?

ommnyom wrote: »
    w6d2 completed (for the second time), it went well :D although the app kept resetting itself on the second run, so I think I did about 2 min extra just in case, but can't be sure.

I'm a bit worried about how to approach w6d3. I think I can do it.. with some very slow jogging.. but the trouble is I'm going away on holidays tomorrow. Do I bring the runners with me and head out on an unknown path, or do I forgo the jogging for the holidays. What do ye do when you have holidays?

I brought the runners with me and then discovered we were staying at the top of a mountain with nowhere to run at all :rolleyes:
    I think jogging on holiday sounds lovely though, and a good way to explore your new surroundings, maybe early morning or late evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Week 4 Day 2.

Hit the wall today. The 5 minute runs were tough as hell. Had to stop and get myself back together before continuing on the last one of the session. I actually didn't find the 5 minute runs as hard on Week 4 Day 1. It was hot and humid this eve too....though maybe that's just an excuse. Going to stick with it anyway as still feeling a hell of a lot better than before I started. I'm finding the whole breathing thing very hard to get right. I'm trying the "deep belly breathing" mentioned before but I can't sustain it at all yet.

If anyone sees me jogging/walking around Dublin 14 you'll know me as I'm the guy with the yellow sticky post it in my left hand. I had to write down the various walking/running times on it. At week 4 the thing was just too complicated for me to remember. Maybe it's an age thing !

Anyway keep the faith everyone.

Week 4 Day 2.

Hit the wall today. The 5 minute runs were tough as hell. Had to stop and get myself back together before continuing on the last one of the session. I actually didn't find the 5 minute runs as hard on Week 4 Day 1. It was hot and humid this eve too....though maybe that's just an excuse. Going to stick with it anyway as still feeling a hell of a lot better than before I started. I'm finding the whole breathing thing very hard to get right. I'm trying the "deep belly breathing" mentioned before but I can't sustain it at all yet.

If anyone sees me jogging/walking around Dublin 14 you'll know me as I'm the guy with the yellow sticky post it in my left hand. I had to write down the various walking/running times on it. At week 4 the thing was just too complicated for me to remember. Maybe it's an age thing !

Anyway keep the faith everyone.

Do you have the podcasts no? :)
    I don't think I could run without music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Did the 20 minute run today. Thank God for my iPod! Without something to keep me going, I would have stopped at 10 or 12 minutes. Such a great feeling when the final seconds tick away on the treadmill. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Week 4 Day 2.

I use the voice only prompts here http://web.me.com/iestynx/Couch_to_5K/Podcast/Podcast.html I find them very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Got back to C25K after a week break, was away for a few days and then unwell for a couple of days. Decided to keep going from where I was last week, so did a second W7 run (25 minutes). Expected not to be able to do it after a week off, but persevered and got there. Was slightly slower than last week's run, judging by the landmarks I ran past, but all the same managed not to stop. Also was my first time doing a longer run on my own, usually have himself encouraging me along, so was pretty chuffed that I made it! Won't get to do the third 25 min run until Sunday as friday and saturday are set to be very busy, but should be ok, as it will be a 3-day break, rather than a whole week.

Well done to everyone who's been running this week! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

W3D2 Done! Although I think ill repeat this week, its very tough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

W2D2 done. I had to stop at the halfway point because my stupid foot cramped up, but altogether I think I was only resting for an extra 20 seconds so it's not so bad....I was jogging pretty slowly because my foot was so tense too.

I'll move on to W2D3 next time anyway, and I'll repeat if I'm still finding it tough. It's a great stress reliever though!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

Anyone know if you can get this programme for free anywhere? I really want to try but don't have itunes on my pc as I changed the OS to linux! The only way I can think of downloading it is if it was a free torrent :/:(

W3D1 Completed As Required WOOHOOOO

Oh my god that was GREAT.

I had no problems on the 3 min run, the only time I got tired was on the last 20 seconds or so of the second 3 min run....I can't believe it :D I'm in shock

W3D1 Completed As Required WOOHOOOO

Oh my god that was GREAT.

I had no problems on the 3 min run, the only time I got tired was on the last 20 seconds or so of the second 3 min run....I can't believe it :D I'm in shock

You fecker, I struggled although it had been almost a week since I was last out so I'm hoping a combination of that and the hot weather was what made it so difficult.

You fecker, I struggled although it had been almost a week since I was last out so I'm hoping a combination of that and the hot weather was what made it so difficult.

Well I'm on a treadmill so the humidity doesn't really affect me much, and it was Sunday when I last "ran" - could be a fluke though, might fall on my ass on Saturday!!

Well I'm on a treadmill so the humidity doesn't really affect me much, and it was Sunday when I last "ran" - could be a fluke though, might fall on my ass on Saturday!!

Well done though. I ran in a different park the other day and the grass was long in places so perhaps that wasn't helping.

I feel a bit bad for not having done anything today and I doubt I will get the chance to go tomorrow either. I was watching the Athletics on BBC Two there to try and inspire me. And watching clips of Usain Bolt breaking the world record for running 100 metres :D

Well done though. I ran in a different park the other day and the grass was long in places so perhaps that wasn't helping.

I feel a bit bad for not having done anything today and I doubt I will get the chance to go tomorrow either. I was watching the Athletics on BBC Two there to try and inspire me. And watching clips of Usain Bolt breaking the world record for running 100 metres :D

I'm still in shock, my facebook has the status update "I ran for three minutes" lol
    I'm so chuffed though, cos I managed to up the running speed to 5.5mph, when I started I couldn't run for 30 seconds at a speed of 3.5mph

• Advertisement

Day 2 of "try to get running again" went very well. A few more days of this and I'll be back to week 5 I think :)

Advertisement