Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Hey Blue Wolf. No I don’t have the podcast. Need to get better organised. I do have an ipod shuffle to keep me going and i think i’d struggle without having it. Though it is my daughter' s one, and there's an awful lot of crap on it, it still helps me get through it. Thanks for that link vico20. Will try and check out over the bank holiday weekend when I’ve a bit more time and see if I can set it up.
    Great support on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

garbanzo wrote: »
    Hey Blue Wolf. No I don’t have the podcast. Need to get better organised. I do have an ipod shuffle to keep me going and i think i’d struggle without having it. Though it is my daughter' s one, and there's an awful lot of crap on it, it still helps me get through it. Thanks for that link vico20. Will try and check out over the bank holiday weekend when I’ve a bit more time and see if I can set it up.
    Great support on this thread.

Get these and stick them on your shuffle ipod then :)

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/category-7.html

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Yipee! I managed week 4. I found the last session to be much harder that the previous two...I passed a few park benches that looked _very_ inviting but kept going. Anyone else find that? Looking at the plan for W5 with some trepidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

vic20 wrote: »
    Yipee! I managed week 4. I found the last session to be much harder that the previous two...I passed a few park benches that looked _very_ inviting but kept going. Anyone else find that? Looking at the plan for W5 with some trepidation.

I finished week 4 on Weds and felt the same! By the final 5 min run I was convinced I would have to collapse in a heap on the grass. Made it through but only just about I think. The last session I had that was that tough was week 1 day 1!! :D Still debating about whether or not to start week 5 today/tomorrow or do a couple more sessions of week 4...maybe another week 4 run just to prove to myself that I can do it alright! Looking forward to starting week 5 though! We can do it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

W3D3 done! I'm debating whether to do week 4, today was really tough and I've a three day break, might repeat week three

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm heading out on W3D2 tomorrow. It's been four days since I did W3D1 so I better not leave it much longer.

omahaid wrote: »
    W3D3 done! I'm debating whether to do week 4, today was really tough and I've a three day break, might repeat week three

Well done on getting over W3. Have a rest, think about it, then go out & do W4! (& don't forget to stretch.) Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I'm heading out on W3D2 tomorrow. It's been four days since I did W3D1 so I better not leave it much longer.

Nope you can't cos I do my W3D2 tomorrow and ya don't want me beating your ass!!! :P

Nope you can't cos I do my W3D2 tomorrow and ya don't want me beating your ass!!! :P

F*** that, I'm going now so :P

I'm just watching the European Athletics championships at the moment. It's funny that when I watch these things, I kind of wish I could compete and win a gold medal in something. It would be a huge achievement. Although I think at 33 I've left it a bit late to start training!

Although.... just googling "procrastinating event at the Olympics" :p

F*** that, I'm going now so :P

I'm just watching the European Athletics championships at the moment. It's funny that when I watch these things, I kind of wish I could compete and win a gold medal in something. It would be a huge achievement. Although I think at 33 I've left it a bit late to start training!

Although.... just googling "procrastinating event at the Olympics" :p

LMAO - I was actually thinking should I get it over with now seeing as I have to shower tonight before I head off for the weekend, would save me doing it first thing!! I mean I've to be in the train station for 8am

I'll let ya know :D

• Advertisement

W3D2 Completed :D

Sorry, Grandmaster.....
    Not as well as Wednesday but completed all the same, bit of tightness in the lower legs tonight

W3D2 Completed :D

Sorry, Grandmaster.....
    Not as well as Wednesday but completed all the same, bit of tightness in the lower legs tonight

Grrrrrrrr. I can't let a girl beat me :p

Grrrrrrrr. I can't let a girl beat me :p

Well you could - but you'd never live it down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Day 3 of getting back into c25k went very well, I'm impressed at how much I ran. Feel like I'm getting back into my rhythm too.
    Will be back onto week 5 on monday :)

terlywerly where have you gone? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Hey guys! Did 5 days of week 3 - finished last night - I was able to complete both 3 minutes without finishing heaving and trying to catch my breath, so I I'm ready for week 4! Crazy the improvement in only a few weeks - considering it used to take me minutes to recover from running 10 seconds for a bus, and now i can run about 2 minutes and only need a couple of seconds to recover :D
    5 minute runs are so daunting though..

Question for ye - I'm starting to feel a niggle in my dodgey knee, and want to start running on grass. Does anyone know clontarf rugby and cricket club policy on people running around their pitch? Gonna give them a ring, but wanted to see if anyone knows! Or can anyone think of a green area around killester or north clontarf that'd be free to run on? Also, anyone in the area, I'm the one in basketball shorts, breathing very very heavily as i jog very very slowly ;)

Can't edit on my iPhone, but god that stray apostrophe s in cricket is wrecking my head..

Jean wrote: »
    Can't edit on my iPhone, but god that stray apostrophe s in cricket is wrecking my head..

Thank God that I'm not the only one that has an aversion to errant apostrophes. ;)

Hee hee! When I get on my laptop later, I'm editing that post!

Oh, by the way, I'm using the get running app - the most recent update doesn't cut out your music, it just lowers it and talks across it - much better!

W3D2 Complete

A big, big, improvement today. I went to bed kind of late last night when I'd planned to go a bit earlier and get well rested. I got up just before 8am and went out on W3D2. I was dreading it a little bit as I felt tired and sleepy, my chest felt "heavy" or something and the memories of completing W3D1 were fresh in my mind too.

I don't know if it was just the cooler conditions or what but I found it reasonably easy today to do the 3 minute jogs. On day 1 I was getting to the end of the 3 minutes and found myself gasping, almost praying that it was over. Today I hit the 3 minute mark and was out of breath but not completely and I'd recovered within about 30 seconds too. I felt a definite improvement today despite being tired and sleepy. I feel like I could go out and complete the next day of it right now but I will try to learn from my over-training mistakes that I've made before and I'll rest.

I felt like I'd a slightly different mentality this morning too. I wasn't dreading it as much as W3D1 and I find it gets easier to complete the weeks as I get to day 2 and day 3 of the particular week.

I've been watching a lot of the European Athletics from Barcelona this week and been wondering how those people do 10,000 metre's and stuff. I remember at one stage of those races where they'd been doing quite a few laps already at this point then I looked at the tracker and it said "11 laps to go". I was tired just watching them :eek:

I run in a small park beside the apartment complex where I live. I like it as it takes me just over 5 minutes to get to it - it's a bit stupid that the entrance is kind of the long way around and I can't just walk straight into it. So I use that walk to the park as my 5 minute warmup and I've it timed just about right so that when I get to the park, a few seconds later I start the jog. It's handy as it has a tarmac path around the outside of it too. I ran on the tarmac today as the grass seemed a little long in places and it was starting to annoy me. My knee's feel a tiny bit sore but it seems to just be from doing exercise and not any sort of injury.

Jean, which C25K app do you use on your iPhone? I use C25K by Alex Stankovic. It's quite good and it lets you use your own music and gives you the audio prompts over the music. When I upgraded my iPhone to iOS4 the app didn't work as well (the prompts couldn't be heard) but they updated the app a couple of weeks ago and it works fine again.

Mine's called get running - own music, nice lady, and well spaced updates during the run - half way there, 30 seconds and 10 seconds for the 3 min runs for example. I know you can change it to minimal - I assume that'd be just the prompts - but I find it easier when I know I'm already down 2.5 minutes, just 30 seconds left :)

I'm actually looking forward to Monday now, and the 5 min runs. I can do it!

• Advertisement

Today felt like a bit of a breakthrough for me. I was able to do the 3 min jogs without too much hassle and I feel I could do the 5 min jogs as well now. W3D1 was a disaster though :)

Today felt like a bit of a breakthrough for me. I was able to do the 3 min jogs without too much hassle and I feel I could do the 5 min jogs as well now. W3D1 was a disaster though :)

I was the opposite - W3D1 was fantastic, W3D2 - not as good.
    I think I might repeat the week to be sure to be sure...

I was very tempted to head out again yesterday or today. But I know resting is important so I don't want to overdo it. It can be hard though when you feel like you're making progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

It's never any hard to do a little cross training on your 'off' days. You could always go out for a long walk or if you have a bike you could go out for a bit of a cycle if you really feel the need to get out and do something.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Get these and stick them on your shuffle ipod then :)

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/category-7.html

Thanks a mill for that link bluewolf.

ULstudent wrote: »
    It's never any hard to do a little cross training on your 'off' days. You could always go out for a long walk or if you have a bike you could go out for a bit of a cycle if you really feel the need to get out and do something.

Yeah I was trying to figure out what I could do - I often will just get on the treadmill for a 30 min walk just to keep active - now that I'm in the mindset I don't want to get lazy!!

ULstudent wrote: »

Cheers, yeah I might go out for a 3 mile walk later this afternoon. Thanks for your reply on the other thread too about the motivation stuff.

W3D3 Complete

Although complete, I'm not happy with the session - definitely think I'll repeat this week - there was tightness in my legs and they just didn't want to work for me at all today.

W3D3 Complete

So that is week 3 done and dusted. I felt like I regressed a little today, even though it's only been 2 days since I completed Week 3, Day 2. I was doing the first jog and the audio prompt went off saying to walk and I thought to myself "jeez, that 3 minutes went fast" and it was only a few seconds later that I realised it was just the first 90 second jog that I'd completed :o Having said that, it's funny how you come along. I remember completing week 1 and sort of having a bit of difficulty with the 60 second jogs. Then I did week 2 and had issues completing the 90 second jogs but thinking that 60 seconds would be easy. Now I'm doing 3 minutes thinking that 90 seconds is easy.

It was tough towards the end of the last 3 minute jog and I was thinking "come on, 3 minutes must be nearly up by now" so it was getting tough, but I completed it and caught my breath quite quickly. I think I will just rest now for a day (two at most) then begin week 4.

I'm also wondering if the park I run in is helping or hindering me. It's not completely flat and it has a bit of an incline. Not a lot, but it's definitely not completely flat or anything. I guess that is good and I guess it means running on completely flat ground should be a bit easier. Just as I was completing my workout, an old woman showed up to start jogging. I think she was going a bit slower than me but she'd done a complete lap of the park and was on her 2nd lap at least when I was finishing and she hadn't stopped to take a breath and was still jogging along. I'm not sure I could have kept up :o

I think I might possibly invest in some new running gear as time goes on, but not just at the moment. I've spent a fortune recently so I really need to go into extreme money saving mode as I don't like how low the bank balance is getting. Thankfully I get paid next week though.

• Advertisement

Strange week. Started W5D1 today. Flew it. Thought I'd die at the thought of one, let alone three five minute runs. I could have kept going at the end. Keep the faith folks.

Advertisement