Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

garbanzo wrote: »
    Strange week. Started W5D1 today. Flew it. Thought I'd die at the thought of one, let alone three five minute runs. I could have kept going at the end. Keep the faith folks.

Agreed! I did W5D1 yesterday & was surprised how well I coped with it. Next up is the 2x8 minute runs tomorrow morning and after that (shock, gasp, horror) I'll attempt to jog for a whole twenty minutes! Not so long ago I would have laughed at the thought of it :)
    Well done to all & keep at it!

Nil illegitimi carborundum :D

W3D3 Complete
    I'm also wondering if the park I run in is helping or hindering me. It's not completely flat and it has a bit of an incline. Not a lot, but it's definitely not

I think I might possibly invest in some new running gear as time goes on, but not just at the moment. I've spent a fortune recently so I really need to go into extreme money saving mode as I don't like how low the bank balance is getting. Thankfully I get paid next week though.

Any hill is a good workout but obviously (at our rung of the running ladder) gentle inclines are better.
    Know what you mean about the gear; I'm looking at the soles of my shoes & wondering how long they'll last before they go to the bin. Also, every T-shirt I own is cotton which gets very uncomfortable by the end of my session. I'll have to try & find something that'll deal with sweat properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Bluewolf I'm still here!!! :D I was away for a week but I'm back now and hoping to start into week 6 either today or tomorrow.
    Well done to everyone who is progressing so brilliantly, ye are all flying, I feel really far behind now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

I did it! Just back from W4D1 - Who the hell knew I could run (read, jog as slowly as humanly possible) for 5 whole minutes!

Are ye judging how fast ye run on how tired you get during the run? I moderate so that I find it difficult to finish the final third of the run - So the last minute and a half of the 5 minute runs, I'm pushing hard. Not to the point of absolute exhaustion by the end of the run, but I do need to stop and hang my head for 10/15 seconds. I'm just wondering if I'm kidding myself that I'm actually getting better, when I'm jogging so slow?
    I'm aware that the program isn't about getting massive speed or distance - it's getting me off my ass, and out there exercising - but I do want it to be as beneficial as possible.

Jean wrote: »
    I did it! Just back from W4D1 - Who the hell knew I could run (read, jog as slowly as humanly possible) for 5 whole minutes!

Are ye judging how fast ye run on how tired you get during the run? I moderate
    <snip>
    I'm aware that the program isn't about getting massive speed or distance - it's getting me off my ass, and out there exercising - but I do want it to be as beneficial as possible.

Well done! I just trundle along as slow as possible for most of it. When I get the "one minute to go" in my ear I speed up a bit IF I'm able.
    I came across this line somewhere: "if you're running fast enough to slow down, you're running too fast". Works for me :)

• Advertisement

Aye, I don't see the point in pushing myself to the point of falling over - if I do that, I'll never go out again. I'm looking at a map right now.. I'm going to measure properly next time, but I think I'm about 5/5.5mph.. not a clue what that actually means! Think that's a brisk walk..?

Aye, I don't see the point in pushing myself to the point of falling over - if I do that, I'll never go out again. I'm looking at a map right now.. I'm going to measure properly next time, but I think I'm about 5/5.5mph.. not a clue what that actually means! Think that's a brisk walk..?

Not a notion! I work on time rather than distance. I usually run on a 3.5K loop trail and I look forward to the day that I'll pass the carpark and have to go back to it :) (hopefully sometime soon)

I have a loop planned on Google maps, a rectangle where my house is the top left hand corner.. but the second long side is uphill - I look forward to the day that I actually persevere up the hill, rather than turning when she says I'm half way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

After being sick since last Thursday (who knew migraines could last 3-4 days!?) I finally picked up where I left off and finished W2D3 today :) I found it easier than I remembered! Maybe I've finally learned how to pace myself.

I'm dreading Week 3 though; I just don't know how I'll manage 3 minute runs but I'm going to give it a go and see. A month ago I wouldn't even have run for the bus so there's a huge change in me already!

I have a loop planned on Google maps, a rectangle where my house is the top left hand corner.. but the second long side is uphill - I look forward to the day that I actually persevere up the hill, rather than turning when she says I'm half way :D

You could always take the opposite route so it'll be downhill ;)
    My loop has a few bumps (not big enough to be classed as hills) and the rest is flat. First time I tried it with the level stretch first and then the uneven bit :( Every time since I do it the other way round so that I finish on the level. When I get better I'll try it the other way round just to see the difference but for now this suits me fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm feeling a bit tired and emotional today and for some reason I really, really want to go out and do some training. I know I need to rest as I was training yesterday and I didn't sleep well last night, but I just feel an urge to go run with the rain hitting my face.

Who'd have thunk I'd be getting urges like that. But I won't complain though. Getting urges like that is a million times better for me mentally and physically then getting the urge to go to McDonalds or the chinese takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I'm feeling a bit tired and emotional today and for some reason I really, really want to go out and do some training. I know I need to rest as I was training yesterday and I didn't sleep well last night, but I just feel an urge to go run with the rain hitting my face.

Who'd have thunk I'd be getting urges like that. But I won't complain though. Getting urges like that is a million times better for me mentally and physically then getting the urge to go to McDonalds or the chinese takeaway.

I'm the same - I'm a bit outta whack as I was back in KK over the weekend and subject to Mammies cooking and all that jazz.
    I've noticed recently that I can't sort my food out, I'm a bit of a fussy eater and have limited options at the best of times.
    I've hit the wall mentally when it comes to organising food shopping and proper food that will last the week and not end up in the bin cos its gone off.
    I rely on a weekly shop that is delivered as I've no car.

Grandmaster - know exactly what you mean! When I've a crap day in work, I want to go out on a run until I sweat the anger out, rather than eat my feelings! Massive change!

Jokettle - don't worry! 3 min is daunting, but keep your chin up and run to the next post and by the time you get there, yer wan will be telling you to stop :)

Vic - perhaps, perhaps, perhaps!

I know none of you's asked but you's are all dying to know what songs I listen to when I'm out pounding the tarmac on C25K, well here's some of them :cool:

I should probably make you aware that the "ist, ist, ist" dance music warning is now officially in effect.

4 Strings - Take Me Away (was the theme song of a travel show I used to watch when I lived in Sydney. Possibly not the best words to be singing when you're exercising :) )

Barber's Adagio For Strings by William Orbit (Ferry Corsten remix). I effing love this song.

Rocky Training Music - Essential during any workout.

Fight Club Intro Music

Envy by Ash

House of Wolves by My Chemical Romance

DJ Quicksilver - Planet Love (I still love this song, first heard it during the world's best decade - the 90's)

Sorry, I don't have I'm like a bird by Nelly Furtado. It just doesn't really get the legs moving when out jogging and running :p

The Rocky one makes me giggle, bt it is on my own playlist :o Bon Jovi's Livin on a Prayer is pretty awesome too!

Haha! Nice one :) I didn't ask, but I was interested :)
    I've about 40 songs on my 'run' playlist. The ones that really push me are
    metro station - tell me what to do
    Bedrock - young money
    Bulletproof - la roux
    Don't rain on my parade - bobby Darrin
    I almost told you that I love you - papa roach
    This is how a heart breaks - rob Thomas
    Your love is my drug - kesha
    Popular - wicked ost.

Odd mix I guess, but I need the songs to make me smile, or think when they come on so I'll forget that I'm running. Metro station is my 'final minute push' band.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

terlywerly wrote: »
    Bluewolf I'm still here!!! :D I was away for a week but I'm back now and hoping to start into week 6 either today or tomorrow.
    Well done to everyone who is progressing so brilliantly, ye are all flying, I feel really far behind now :eek:
    I'm only starting week 5 again this week so you're still ahead :p

Are ye judging how fast ye run on how tired you get during the run?

I go as slow as I can... might finish off with sprinting the last 2min

jokettle wrote: »
    The Rocky one makes me giggle, bt it is on my own playlist :o Bon Jovi's Livin on a Prayer is pretty awesome too!

Don't make me paste in the super motivating speech from Rocky Balboa!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Despite the fact that I'm a metalhead, Barber's Adagio For Strings features on some of my running playlists too :)

Popular - wicked ost.

Interesting choice, I would end up singing along if I had show tunes on in the background (they are my weakness) and if I was able to sing, I wouldn't be going very fast!!

• Advertisement

Don't make me paste in the super motivating speech from Rocky Balboa!

You don't have to, I know it word for word :P

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm only starting week 5 again this week so you're still ahead :p
    Haha not by much. I was meant to go out last night but was still wrecked from being away, and I was sure I was going tonight but myself, the OH and a few friends are going to the cinema so thats that. Hopefully tomorrow. I bet I'm so out of practice, I could well be joining you back a week :eek:

As for running songs - Hey Boy Hey Girl by The Chemical Brothers is one of my faves. Really gets me running. Or Where's Your Head At by Basement Jaxx. How could you not run when imagining the scary video from that song??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

terlywerly wrote: »
    Haha not by much. I was meant to go out last night but was still wrecked from being away, and I was sure I was going tonight but myself, the OH and a few friends are going to the cinema so thats that. Hopefully tomorrow. I bet I'm so out of practice, I could well be joining you back a week :eek:

As for running songs - Hey Boy Hey Girl by The Chemical Brothers is one of my faves. Really gets me running. Or Where's Your Head At by Basement Jaxx. How could you not run when imagining the scary video from that song??? :D

Yeah the chem bros is brilliant.
    I'm going back to the set music from yer man though which is fairly laid back...

I do like "pump it" by the BEP for the final sprint though :D

Despite the fact that I'm a metalhead, Barber's Adagio For Strings features on some of my running playlists too :)

The Ferry Corstin Remix really is just amazing. Sometimes I kind of like to listen to it really loud and close my eyes and sort of let it seep into me. Other times I just turn it up and focus on the beat and music and all I can think is "I want to go faster".

I have to listen to fast music when I do cardio, it really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

GM - i LOVE TAKE ME AWAY!!

You should get Dave pearce 2010 and Euphoric trance 2000 -2010 . I think you would like them. Thanks again - friggin love that song.

ULstudent wrote: »

You should get Dave pearce 2010 and Euphoric trance 2000 -2010 . I think you would like them. Thanks again - friggin love that song.

Just posted this on my FB page so everyone can likey :)

ULstudent wrote: »

No problemo. Another fella I know had a similar reaction to yours when I introduced that song to him. I think it's perhaps not so well known in these ere' parts. Although maybe you heard it years ago and it was just one of those "I can't believe I forgot how much I love that song" moments.

One of the albums i mentionned in my last post introduced me to that song. Freakin awesome.

Nimhaoldearg - there's a lot more show tunes on the list too :) I do find myself mouthing along, but I try use ones with good beats so my feet speed up without me noticing :)

• Advertisement

Nimhaoldearg - there's a lot more show tunes on the list too :) I do find myself mouthing along, but I try use ones with good beats so my feet speed up without me noticing :)

Well I'm on a treadmill so if I speed up I have to start pressing buttons to do it :D
    but music makes the time fly by, the tv helps at times too :p

Advertisement