Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Hey,

just going to join in with ye all here on this thread if that's ok.

I did the Couch to 5k around this time last year, but various things made me fall spectacularly off the wagon. Its more so for fitness than losing weight I want to do it - however if I were to lose a few inches that would be a welcome bonus. Life is quite stressful and busy for me at the moment so the main problem here (after I have finally regained my motivation) is to find the time to fit in the runs. For example during the week is pretty busy but I might do the sessions each day over the weekend. Not ideal but it might be the only way I can fit it in.

So I started back this morning - did Week 2, as I didn't seem to have Week 1 on my ipod, lol. It was OK. I always find I get a feeling of wanting to keel over at the beginning but when I get by that, I seem to be able to run easier. Main problem is the breathing.. find that the hardest bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Was supposed to do a repeat of W3D2 today, but after a spectacular night out I only managed to get my ass outta bed at 2pm....waaay to tired now to even contemplate it. Might bump it to tomorrow instead, not going to give out to myself too much, as I rarely go out and I needed to release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Have had a bad couple of weeks c25k wise!
    Did two repetitions of week 4 because I found it particularly tough, but then went away for a few days and had a busy week all told so got NO c25k in for 8 whole days. Eek! :eek: Was actually scared to go out this morning but wwnt for it and decided to do another week 4. Am so sick of this week now! I was going fine till the last 5 min run when I gave up due to tiredness and, I imagine, mental block brought on by the knowledge that not training for a whole week was bound to have an adverse effect :(
    But chin up! I am just going to repeat week 4 AGAIN. Keep reminding myself that I'm on no one's time scale but my own. So another week 4 on tues and another on thurs and we'll see where we're at :)
    Great to have this thread still here - even when I fall off the wagon at least I can see all you guys keeping at it and it motivates me to get myself going again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Have had a bad couple of weeks c25k wise!
    Did two repetitions of week 4 because I found it particularly tough, but then went away for a few days and had a busy week all told so got NO c25k in for 8 whole days. Eek! :eek: Was actually scared to go out this morning but wwnt for it and decided to do another week 4. Am so sick of this week now! I was going fine till the last 5 min run when I gave up due to tiredness and, I imagine, mental block brought on by the knowledge that not training for a whole week was bound to have an adverse effect :(
    But chin up! I am just going to repeat week 4 AGAIN. Keep reminding myself that I'm on no one's time scale but my own. So another week 4 on tues and another on thurs and we'll see where we're at :)
    Great to have this thread still here - even when I fall off the wagon at least I can see all you guys keeping at it and it motivates me to get myself going again :D

Don't worry too much. I started Week 4 last week myself and I'm finding the 5 minute jogs quite tough. The first day I got stitches in both sides at the same time as the very end of the run. The second day it was a little better and I thought I felt a stitch coming on but it didn't. I never thought jogging for 5 minutes would be so tough. I'm due to do Week 4, Day 3 tomorrow and then supposedly onto Week 5 on Wednesday but seeing I'm struggling a bit with 5 minute jogs, 8 minute jogs seem really tough. I might repeat week 4 myself. Funny how a 3 minute jog seemed so tough a few weeks ago and it now seems easy peasy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

I had to do a repeat week for week 4 as well, its not about how long it takes though - its about finally being able to jog for 30 minutes without stopping. Some people have achieved it in 9 weeks, for others it has taken longer. But we will all get there eventually!
    Knowing what I can be like about starting/stopping things I decided to make a fresh start and start week 6 tomorrow, Monday being the start of the week and all. I'm one of those people that could be sitting on the couch thinking of going to bed, but wouldn't go at 5 past or 10 past, it would have to be a quarter past (are there any other nutcases like me out there?? :o)
    So going to do it tomorrow and see how I go!

EDIT: GM, are you stalking me?? :-D

• Advertisement

terlywerly wrote: »

EDIT: GM, are you stalking me?? :-D

Yes. Is that a problem? :cool:

I bought a new trenchcoat and binoculars especially... so you can't say I don't care!

Yes. Is that a problem? :D

I bought a new trenchcoat and binoculars especially... so you can't say I don't care!

thats a little disturbing

thats a little disturbing

Jealousy is a terrible thing ;)

Jealousy is a terrible thing ;)

It's not jealousy, its pure fear

It's not jealousy, its pure fear

You do realise I'm joking don't you?

• Advertisement

You do realise I'm joking don't you?

Promise?

Promise?

Nope :cool:

CurlyWurly, please come to my defence :)

Yes. Is that a problem? :cool:

Haha thanks I'm honoured. I thought I saw someone hiding in the bushes outside alright... I'm glad it was only you!
    Nope :cool:

CurlyWurly, please come to my defence :)
    He's deadly serious. He has 'issues' with personal space ;)

terlywerly wrote: »
    He's deadly serious. He has 'issues' with personal space ;)

yeah its a trait I've noticed in a lot of men amongst other things!!

Anyway, I'm contemplating a sabbatical from C25K for a few weeks - don't have the mental capacity or willpower to do it at the minute.

Enough of the men bashing thank you very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Sorry to jump in on the conversation... ;) Copying the post from my food diary as it's kinda long to write again...

Went out for C25K, W8D2 yesterday evening, and it was brilliant, totally exhilerating. It was drizzling when we left the house, and we decided to run on the beach instead of the usual road route. By the time we got to the beach it was properly lashing rain and really windy, the wind was pushing us along in one direction and keeping us at a near standstill when we turned around in the other direction. Was feeling really good, so just kept running as long as I could, and did 35 minutes! :D I just measured it on the map and it was 3.5km! I can't wait to do another run on the beach now. Will have to wait until Wednesday though, I'll be busy all day tomorrow. Im pretty sure that if I went out on a dry calm day I'd cover maybe another km in the same time, because the wind and driving rain was really holding me back for half of the run yesterday.

It was so noticeable during the first 28 min run I did last week I was tired after a late night, and it was a real struggle, and yesterday I had loads more energy.
    Im on Week 8 so should be doing another 28 min run this week but think Im just going to aim for 30 mins from now on and if I have energy left just see how long I can keep going for.

Can't believe that just 10 weeks ago I was really really struggling with the 60 second runs, and I never thought I would genuinely enjoy a run as much as the one yesterday.
    Sorry Im going on a bit, Im just really thrilled after yesterday's run. :D
    (The god's will get revenge on me during the next run and hit me with loads of stitches, hills and no energy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Great stuff JW. Congrats!!

jw297 wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in on the conversation... ;) Copying the post from my food diary as it's kinda long to write again...

Went out for C25K, W8D2 yesterday evening, and it was brilliant, totally exhilerating. It was drizzling when we left the house, and we decided to run on the beach instead of the usual road route. By the time we got to the beach it was properly lashing rain and really windy, the wind was pushing us along in one direction and keeping us at a near standstill when we turned around in the other direction. Was feeling really good, so just kept running as long as I could, and did 35 minutes! :D I just measured it on the map and it was 3.5km! I can't wait to do another run on the beach now. Will have to wait until Wednesday though, I'll be busy all day tomorrow. Im pretty sure that if I went out on a dry calm day I'd cover maybe another km in the same time, because the wind and driving rain was really holding me back for half of the run yesterday.

It was so noticeable during the first 28 min run I did last week I was tired after a late night, and it was a real struggle, and yesterday I had loads more energy.
    Im on Week 8 so should be doing another 28 min run this week but think Im just going to aim for 30 mins from now on and if I have energy left just see how long I can keep going for.

Can't believe that just 10 weeks ago I was really really struggling with the 60 second runs, and I never thought I would genuinely enjoy a run as much as the one yesterday.
    Sorry Im going on a bit, Im just really thrilled after yesterday's run. :D
    (The god's will get revenge on me during the next run and hit me with loads of stitches, hills and no energy!)

Well done. I'm on Week 4 myself and finding the 5 min jogs tricky, had my first stitch too!

Congrats jw!! Amazing achievement!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Finished Week 3 today :)

Even though today was easier than the last two runs, I was still praying for the end during the last jog! So I'm of the same mindset as last week; I'll give the next level a go, and if I have to repeat Week 3 I will.

Still feeling pretty good about the whole exercise thing though :)

• Advertisement

Well done jokettle, you're a third of the way through!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Technically finished W4 yesterday - but definitely gonna repeat a few days.. the 5 minutes are a bit of a killer! I was at my parents house in Wexford, middle of nowhere - lovely day, small bit of an incline - would've been perfect if I didn't swallow half the freakin' insects in the area.

Urg - still coughing up bits of wings.

Oh! And hit the big 2 stone :D (after my run, but still counts! ;))

Next goal, the next 9 pounds - then I'll be a good weight, I think. Never gonna be a slim person - I've size 10 feet and hands like shovels - but I'm looking forward to being a healthy weight for me :)

ETA - BMI IS A LOAD OF ****E. Apparently I'm still obese. Most ridiculous, pointless measurement ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Got W6D2 out of the way today, very pleased with myself. 4 consecutive 25 minute runs are my next obstacle. Hoping to get them done before I go back to school, maybe one or two of the 28 minute ones aswell.

Jean wrote: »
    Technically finished W4 yesterday - but definitely gonna repeat a few days.. the 5 minutes are a bit of a killer! I was at my parents house in Wexford, middle of nowhere - lovely day, small bit of an incline - would've been perfect if I didn't swallow half the freakin' insects in the area.

Urg - still coughing up bits of wings.

Oh! And hit the big 2 stone :D (after my run, but still counts! ;))

Next goal, the next 9 pounds - then I'll be a good weight, I think. Never gonna be a slim person - I've size 10 feet and hands like shovels - but I'm looking forward to being a healthy weight for me :)

ETA - BMI IS A LOAD OF ****E. Apparently I'm still obese. Most ridiculous, pointless measurement ever.
    Well done on week 4! Don't worry about BMI, I'm pretty much at a happy weight and according to BMI I'm only 0.4 under the overweight category. Its just a very rough guideline. Go on how you feel and how your clothes fit, far more accurate imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

great post jw and your Sig inspires me to setup my own ticker.
    I'm just starting week 3, I'm one week behind you jokettle, I did find todays run really knackering.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Heading into W6D2 tomorrow. Not looking fwd at all to Thursday and what I think is either a 20 or 25 minute run. I'm scared to look at it yet. From this remove I have no confidence that I will be able to do it. However, when I think back 6 weeks ago I was almost coughing up my lungs after my first 60 second run so I am making progress. Found the 8 minute (middle) run hard going yesterday but got through it. From my experience to-date i offer the following advice

- get proper running shoes, i posted my experience on this a few weeks ago earlier in this thread
    - get your ipod sorted with the various podcasts that are available free to download. they make the running experience SOOOO much easier
    - tell everyone you are doing it. It makes it all the more difficult to drop out of the programme.

Keep the faith. Great support on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I got the runners from Amphibian King, but my left foot_ankle seem.to go a bit lame after about the half way mark, for want of a better description. what could the problem be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Hi Guy,

Did W1D1 today. Found it grand up untill maybe the 4th run and it started getting tough. I skipped one of the runs but made up for it by briskly walking for an extra 1k.

Arches of my feet where terrible sore when I finished and I couldn't wait to get into the shower.

Can't wait to try it again tomorrow.

Hi Guy,

Did W1D1 today. Found it grand up untill maybe the 4th run and it started getting tough. I skipped one of the runs but made up for it by briskly walking for an extra 1k.

Arches of my feet where terrible sore when I finished and I couldn't wait to get into the shower.

Can't wait to try it again tomorrow.

Well done.

A word of advice though, don't overdo-it on the C25K programme. They recommend that you rest at least 1 day between sessions and from my own experience, I reckon that's a good thing to do. If you are new to running you need to give your joints and things time to adapt so I'd probably suggest not doing anything today and then moving onto Day 2 tomorrow.

I know the feeling though, it can be really hard to stop yourself when you feel you can do more. :) However a few niggling injuries have make me put the brakes on these days!

Hope you don't mind the advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Well done.

A word of advice though, don't overdo-it on the C25K programme. They recommend that you rest at least 1 day between sessions and from my own experience, I reckon that's a good thing to do. If you are new to running you need to give your joints and things time to adapt so I'd probably suggest not doing anything today and then moving onto Day 2 tomorrow.

I know the feeling though, it can be really hard to stop yourself when you feel you can do more. :) However a few niggling injuries have make me put the brakes on these days!

Hope you don't mind the advice :)

Hey,

Thanks for the advice. I'm heading away on Friday so I won't be able to do any runs Friday, Saturday or Sunday so was trying to get them all in by Thursday. I didn't want to go to week 2 without actually doing week 1.

I used to run cross country (but from the state of me yesterday you wouldn't think I was ever able to run up some stairs!!). Legs are a little bit sore today but nothing like I thought they would be.

Advertisement