Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Am supposed to be running tonight.. But instead am in the academy, waiting for the epic feeder to come on! A great trade off, I believe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Enjoy Jean.

Saw them a few years ago at Slane and they are one of the most under-rated live bands working today.

Note to self: put 'We Can't Rewind' on my C25K playlist for tomorrow.

Haha! I also saw them at slane, and at the Olympia. My favourite band of all time :D

To keep this on topic - after a breakfast of bacon (I'm off work!) I'm gonna head out for w5d2.. 8 minutes! I'll fly it, I'm sure :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Starting again on Monday! I got to week six last time so I'm hoping to find it easy second time round. I bought some new running gear which is always a great motivator. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

hatful wrote: »
    Starting again on Monday! I got to week six last time so I'm hoping to find it easy second time round. I bought some new running gear which is always a great motivator. :D
    I finished up on the 20 min jog of week 5, so I'd be a week 6 as well hatful. And I haven't been out in ages, the weather played a good part in that but the rest is just laziness. I think now that I've pretty much reached goal weight I've lost a bit of incentive, even though I spent a small fortune on running gear and stuff. I will get back to it though at some stage, especially with the amount of money I spent. But also because I do want to finish the programme. Life just gets in the way sometimes I guess.
    Good luck when you start back, and well done to everyone who is doing it, ye are all deadly :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Going to do week 2 day 3 today in the old runners ULstudent they will make their merry way to the bin after that- Im off to castlebar next week to have gait analysis done and buy whats needed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

W2D2 and the knees are starting to hurt and my right ankle! im stretching before and after is this just to be expected or am I a crock!!!

New trainers might help

I drank 10+ pints on Wednesday, and blew the run off.
    Not looking forward to returning tonight, and then hopefully finishing week 4 on Sunday.

terlywerly wrote: »
    I finished up on the 20 min jog of week 5, so I'd be a week 6 as well hatful. And I haven't been out in ages, the weather played a good part in that but the rest is just laziness. I think now that I've pretty much reached goal weight I've lost a bit of incentive, even though I spent a small fortune on running gear and stuff. I will get back to it though at some stage, especially with the amount of money I spent. But also because I do want to finish the programme. Life just gets in the way sometimes I guess.
    Good luck when you start back, and well done to everyone who is doing it, ye are all deadly :D

Hi terly, I haven't been out for a jog in a month due to traveling etc... so I'll probably have to start back at Week 1. My advice is don't leave it too long because you lose momentum. The running gear is well worth it if you think about how much a gym would cost as well as getting there every week. Running simplifies things ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I agree Curly Wurly, go out now. When I was going to the gym religiously, I'd feel less fit if I left it 4 days or longer. The longer you leave it, the more unfit you will be.

W4D2 Complete Again

So I'm not long in the door from completing Week 4, Day 2 again. I left work at 3pm and got into the sauna, sorry, my car and the temperature reading said it was 31 degrees :eek: I live a short distance from work so by the time I'd driven home and parked the car the temperature reading had dropped to about 21 or 22 degrees.

I looked outside and it was blistering sunshine and I said to myself "you have to go out and do a jog". So I did my stretching, got my gear out and went out the door. I wore a different t-shirt today as I was having issues with the one I've been using. The old t-shirt was very baggy and heavy and not that comfortable to wear at times. I went to my usual spot but found I had an audience today. I don't like audiences when I'm exercising. Anyway I said to myself "F*** it" and I just started the programme anyway.

It's hard to judge how well it went today. The first half of the workout felt quite tough but again once I got past the half way point, it did seem easier. My breathing seemed more controlled and I felt more or less fine. My legs felt a bit tired but that was it. I have to admit on the second half of the workout I was jogging very slowly. I was going faster than walking pace but definitely going pretty slowly.

I'm wondering if that is why I'm finding the second part of the workout a bit easier, because I'm jogging slower, or maybe it's because I'm sort of over the hump and used to the exercising by the 10 minute mark or so. I remember I used to be like that in the gym. The first 10 minutes or so on the treadmill wouldn't be that easy, but once I got past that 10 minutes, it was like I didn't need as much effort to keep going or something.

Anyway I completed the workout, went into the Spar, my usual beetroot purple, sweat rolling down my forehead and feeling a little unsteady on my feet, but after a minute or so I was fine.

I was running I was thinking to myself "how do these elite athletes do it?" I was thinking back to the Diamond League meeting in Zurich last night that I watched and this British athlete called Mo Farah was running in the 5k and he set a new British record by completing it in under 13 minutes. I keep thinking to myself "there's me struggling to do 5 minutes and these guys are doing 5k in 15 minutes max".

Anyway, that's it done and dusted today. Rest day tomorrow and then probably out again on Sunday. My groin muscle felt a little tight after it was over so I'm going to keep an eye on that and make sure it doesn't get worse.

I was running I was thinking to myself "how do these elite athletes do it?" I was thinking back to the Diamond League meeting in Zurich last night that I watched and this British athlete called Mo Farah was running in the 5k and he set a new British record by completing it in under 13 minutes. I keep thinking to myself "there's me struggling to do 5 minutes and these guys are doing 5k in 15 minutes max".

13 minutes! *spits out tea* They make it look so easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭Basq

W2D3 Complete

My legs were "sore-ish" when I woke up this morning so I was dreading the run this evening. And by the end of the 3rd of my 5 runs, my legs were quite sore. I wasn't physically tired or out of breath.. just my legs were killing me. I was very determined and I pushed through it to the end though.

Not looking forward to the 3 minute jog starting next week.. a 90 second jog is more than enough for me, but we'll see how it goes.

I'm chuffed I stuck to it this far.. and I don't plan on giving up. I'm extremely determined, to the degree of being stubborn! :D

basquille wrote: »

Not looking forward to the 3 minute jog starting next week.. a 90 second jog is more than enough for me, but we'll see how it goes.

I was the same. I remember Week 1 doing the 60 second jogs thinking they were ok and then did the 90 second jogs and it was really tough and I remember dreading the 3 minute jogs. I won't lie, the first day of the 3 minute jogs was tough but now I find them easy enough. I'll be glad when the 5 minute jogs are easy though :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

W4D1 today. JOGGING for FIVE minutes. Wow. I was dreading it, but it wasn't AS bad as I thought it'd be.
    I have to admit on the second half of the workout I was jogging very slowly. I was going faster than walking pace but definitely going pretty slowly.
    I was verry slow today. Only 'jogging' at about 5mph but feck it! It was still jogging! And I managed my 5 minutes. Getting faster can wait. My priority now is being able to jog 5k, no matter how slowly! The second 5 mins was particularly difficult. I found it hard to get to the end, was counting the seconds and thinking I wouldn't make it. :o But I DID, heh heh! The idea of jogging for 20 minutes in a few weeks seems impossible right now, but I'm keeping focused one workout at a time. I was in BITS by the end though. I only did a 4 minute 'cooldown' walk home and collapsed on the sofa and Could Not get up for about ten minutes. Also very beetroot faced. (me= :mad:)
    I was the same. I remember Week 1 doing the 60 second jogs thinking they were ok and then did the 90 second jogs and it was really tough and I remember dreading the 3 minute jogs. I won't lie, the first day of the 3 minute jogs was tough but now I find them easy enough. I'll be glad when the 5 minute jogs are easy though :)
    Me too! I'm sooo jealous of the people posting 'Did W8D2 today..' I think, Goddammit! But it'll be me one day! My goal is to be able to jog 5k at a comfortable pace without being in BITS at the end by December. At the moment, it seems the same as 'By the end of this week, I will climb Everest..' but I'll do it.

Thanks to everyone on this thread, without you guys I couldn't do this. I love seeing everyone else posting about how they're getting on! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Completed W2D3 this morning. Got out before the sun started shining so I had a nice breeze which helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

W5D3 done! 20 minute run, I believe that was the longest I have ever run in one go in my 31 years on this planet.

omahaid wrote: »
    W5D3 done! 20 minute run, I believe that was the longest I have ever run in one go in my 31 years on this planet.

Well done, how did you find it? Was it hard? Did you have to stop or anything? I'm a bit daunted by the 20 min jog/run myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Well done, how did you find it? Was it hard? Did you have to stop or anything? I'm a bit daunted by the 20 min jog/run myself.

No, didn't have to stop, I'd put it down to pacing I suppose, I knew it was going to be a real long jog so I paced myself accordingly. I was pretty slow alright :D but done is done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I had been doing great with this for the first 3 weeks and then pretty much stopped. I've been trying to pick it up again recently and keep pushing forward with the weight loss too.

I am just back from week 5 day 2. Considering what a struggle I had found the 60 second runs at the start the jump from 5 to 8 minutes was daunting to say the least! I do a bit of a weird thing and count my steps to get me through- I just find its something to focus on. 8 minute runs for me are 1300 steps!

Anyway I found the first run quite easy- the 2nd one was a struggle every step of the way but I managed it! Is my TOTM too so I had terrible stomach cramps by the end of it- so I'mreally proud of myself for running through the pain!

Soooo daunted by the 20 min run now tho!

Thumpette - I actually found the running takes my mind off TOTM cramps - too much pain in my lungs and legs to focus on cramping ;)

Actually, speaking of cramps - doing these longer runs now, I find I've a sensation like heartburn - right under my ribs, really uncomfortable towards the end. I've tried drinking some milk before I go out, I've tried not eating a good few hours before going, I've tried more water, less water.. I dunno what the hell it is. Is it just my body trying to get used to running, when it's so used to sitting on its ass all day? Any clues?

WOOOOO! W5D2 DOWN! 8 MINUTES!
    Back down to about 5.6mph, but that's fine. I managed the fking thing.
    Gonna repeat this day another time (like I've done with most of the last runs) because 20 minutes scares me still!

*dead now*

ETA - Just in relation to my last post - the last 3 minutes of the second 8 minute run, I had to press against the top of my stomach, the heartburn feeling was so bad. Gonna get some rennies or something and take them before my next run. Obviously my body is reacting to running, and the bit of stress is causing what must be heartburn.. I hope.

• Advertisement

Congratulations on W5D2.

I'm repeating Week 4 as I don't feel ready to move onto Week 5 yet however having said that, I'll have completed the repeat of Week 4 tomorrow. I think I will move onto the first day of Week 5 on Tuesday though as I'm keen to give the batch of 5 minute jogs a go rather than repeat Week 4 again.

Gm - definitely found the 3 x 5 easier than w4 - it's a minute shorter running, and also it's 3 runs which makes it easier (in my head - the only important place!).
    I surprised myself at being able to do them - the first two 5 minutes being ok, rather than painful.
    I did find myself wishing (with every. single. fiber. of my being during every one of those second 5 min runs) during w4 that it didn't finish on a 5 min, and that it should've been 3 5 5 3.. I think that also helped moving on to w5d1.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Hi all, great thread and congrats on all your progress so far, it's encouraging for the likes of me who are just starting this.
    I'm 41 and at least 3 stone overweight. I tried the C25K about a year and a half ago, I was in the middle of week 3 and got a chest infection and was out for two weeks and didn't continue with it.
    I'm now about a stone heavier than I was then so time to give it another go, I'm mainly doing it for fitness reasons but if I lose a bit of weight along the way - great.
    I've done very little exercise since my early 20's, I play golf once a week so that's a 3-4 mile walk but thats as much exercise as I get.
    I had originally planned to start on Monday but went for a walk this evening and thought I might as well start - so W1D1 done.:)
    I took it fairly slow on the jogging part and surprised myself by getting through without too much of a problem.
    Golf in the morning - I hope I can manage to walk, I can feel my legs getting a little tight as I type this.
    Still I'm looking forward to W1D2 on Monday.

W5D1 Complete

Words fail me, they really do.

For those of you who follow this thread might know, I decided to repeat Week 4 of Couch to 5K. My reason for doing this was that I'd left a long gap between Days 2 and 3 of Week 4, somewhere in the order of a week to 10 days, which is not ideal. Then when I went to complete Week 4, Day 3, I ended up feeling very unfit. I then decided to repeat Week 4 to try and nail the 5 minute jogs as while I was able to complete them, they were a struggle.

With that in mind, a few days ago I set out to repeat Week 4. I re-set my C25K apps on my iPhone so that I would be starting Week 4 again and off I went. The repeat of Days 1 and 2 of Week 4 were ok-ish and the 5 minute jogs were getting slightly easier, but not massively, even on Friday when I completed Week 4, Day 2.

I was due to complete W4D3 today (Sunday) but something happened during Saturday. I'm not quite sure what it was but all of a sudden I felt ready to move onto Week 5. I don't know how or why. I didn't feel fitter all of a sudden, I felt exactly the same. But I just felt this need to move onto Week 5 and push myself more.

I was getting a bit frustrated with Week 4 as it consisted of:

5 min brisk warmup walk
    3 min jog
    90 second walk
    5 min jog
    2.5 min walk
    3 min jog
    90 second walk
    5 min jog
    5 min cooldown

For some reason that structure irritated and annoyed me as I just wanted to get on with the 5 minute jogs and not have to go through the 3 minute jogs which I'd pretty much felt comfortable with. I felt like it was holding me back or something. That I was having to go through this 3 min jog/90 second walk when I felt it was unnecessary.

So during Saturday I decided that if I still felt the same way, I was going to attempt W5D1 today.

I had a bit of trouble nodding off last night for some reason, I wasn't that tired and was still awake at about 2am. I woke up this morning then about 8.30am and did my stretching and went out on W5D1.

Over the past couple of days I'd been thinking about why I was struggling so much with the 5 minute jogs. I knew it was an obvious increase in time but I was a bit frustrated at how tough it was and I was trying to work out why it wasn't getting a lot easier as time went by.

I then had a bit of a brainwave. I've been watching a lot of athletics and stuff recently on TV and I've always thought to myself - "If I was in one of those races, I'd just pace myself nice and easily and then at the end, just go for it. Rather than blow up too soon from making too fast a start". So this got me to thinking, perhaps I was jogging the first part too fast. Don't get me wrong, my "fast" speed is still pretty slow, but I noticed that on Week 4 I was down to a bit of a shuffle by the end of the workout.

So I decided this time I'd start out slow and really easy. I fired up the C25K app and began the warm-up walk and just before it completed I'd reached the park where I do my workout. I did my usual thing of having a look around as soon as I enter it to see if anyone else is around. The coast was clear so I was happy.

W5D1 consists of:

5 min warm-up walk
    5 min jog
    3 min walk
    5 min jog
    3 min walk
    5 min jog
    5 min cool-down

A few seconds later the audio chimes kicked in and said "Run" so off I went. My breathing felt quite relaxed and shallow, it felt very comfortable. I kept saying to myself "Just pace yourself" and I slowed down within the first 30 seconds and just kept it at a very, very easy jogging pace. Pretty much a fast shuffle :) I really made sure not to over do it. I just kept saying "Pace yourself" and remembered the speed I was completing the jogs at previously, which was quite a low pace.

I completed the first lap of the park which takes me between 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, I felt ok so I kept going. Before I knew it the chimes went off to signify I'd completed the first 5 minute jog. I remember thinking to myself "jeez, that was fairly ok". I wasn't that out of breath at all. I'd go as far to say that I was breathing almost normally. It was very relaxed and comfortable.

I did the 3 minute walk then the next 5 minute jog started. I did the same thing again "pace yourself, take it easy, don't go fast". So I just jogged along at a very leisurely pace again and before I knew it, the 5 minutes were up. Again I was like "Jeez, that was quite comfortable". I was in disbelief somewhat.

I did the next 3 minute walk and I was completing it I was thinking to myself "ok, pace yourself again but towards the end, if you feel good, push the pace up a bit". The next 5 minute jog started and I kept an easy enough pace and after I'd done a lap I knew I had about 2 minutes left so I decided to go a bit faster. I didn't go flat out, but I definitely wanted to up the pace. It turned out there was only about half a lap of the park left before the 5 minutes were complete and then the chimes sounded to indicate the 5 minutes were complete but just before then something amazing happened...

I was jogging along and I was thinking "I don't want to stop, I want to keep going". It was so unexpected. I felt so comfortable I felt like I could have easily kept going for another few minutes and I remember thinking "pushing this to 8 minutes would be easy". I really felt like that.

I don't know what changed today, if anything. I set off on my workout about 9am so it was sunny but still cool which probably helped. I think the easy pace for most of the workout definitely helped. But I don't know why, I just found it very, very easy to complete today.

I had a very slight pain in my left knee at times but it wasn't that bad and only seemed to happen just after I'd start the jogging sections and would go away within a few seconds. I'm careful about getting injured and I make sure to stretch for 5-10 minutes before and after every workout and I also make sure to get at least 1 days rest between workouts. But as Paula Radcliffe says in her book, you can't stop for every little niggle or twinge that you feel. She's right, however as she says herself, the important part is to know when it's something to ignore and to know when it's something you need to rest. It definitely felt like the former to me.

So there it is, I completed three 5 minute jogs and found them quite easy. For the first time I started to feel like I could accomplish the longer 20 minute jogs and eventually get myself quite fit. I was really jogging within myself today and felt very good doing so and I could have easily kept going and done another few laps.

I came home from the workout and I was so tempted to run on here and write down how I was feeling but I forced myself to stretch, shower and go to the shops first as I hate shopping when the places are chocker block with people.

Now that it's been about 2 hours since I completed the workout, I still feel great and positive and have a sense of achievement. I know I haven't climbed mount everest or something but I feel like I took a significant first step today.

I'm going to try and hold onto this good positive feeling as well. As I was parking the car at Cornelscourt, something annoyed me. I don't know what it was, but it was something stupid and insignificant. But before I let that feeling grow, I just thought back to how I was feeling when I completed the workout today and tried to just stay in that zone or moment and how it felt. It was almost as if my whole body was tingling and electric.

It really was a great feeling.

I know this post has went on quite a bit, but I just wanted to express the sense of achievement and comfort I felt at being able to complete those 5 minute jogs and feel like I had so much more within me.

For those of you who may be struggling on the earlier weeks of Couch to 5K, keep the faith. It will come good eventually and it will be when you least expect it. I've had several moments of doubt in the opening weeks and I'm sure I'll have rough workouts in the future, but I finally feel like I've made the turn and I can see the top of the mountain now. It's still a bit of a way off, but at least it's in a clear view now, rather than being completely obscured by forests and jungles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Well Done Grandmaster :D that is great news!!

I've had to stop for a while due to a lying cheating scumbag and law exams that I've to complete next week - also haven't been in work for a while so I've no routine at all these days.
    But once they are out of the way I'll be back to the usual routine and I think I'll be going back to week two to build up again - I was due to tackle Week 4, but after 3 weeks of a break I think that might be pushing it a bit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Well done GM!!! Fantastic achievement, I'm really glad you enjoyed W5D1 and were able to complete all the jogs!!! :D
    Once I get over being sick I'm definitely heading back out. The weather has been so bad here but if other people can do it, I can too. So once antibiotic is finished and I'm feeling better, out I go again. Will probably start back around week 3 and see how I get on, but I'll definitely get back into it!

terlywerly wrote: »
    Well done GM!!! Fantastic achievement, I'm really glad you enjoyed W5D1 and were able to complete all the jogs!!! :D
    Once I get over being sick I'm definitely heading back out. The weather has been so bad here but if other people can do it, I can too. So once antibiotic is finished and I'm feeling better, out I go again. Will probably start back around week 3 and see how I get on, but I'll definitely get back into it!

Cheers Curly Wurly and The Morrigan.

I made a slight change to my playlist for C25K. I have to admit I like the music the BBC plays during their athletics coverage when they're introducing the events and when the credits are rolling at the end so I stuck that on to the playlist :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Cheers Curly Wurly and The Morrigan.

I made a slight change to my playlist for C25K. I have to admit I like the music the BBC plays during their athletics coverage when they're introducing the events and when the credits are rolling at the end so I stuck that on to the playlist :o

Oh GM incase you're sat there in confusion trying to figure out who I am - I had a name change due to "personal safety issues" ;)

Oh GM incase you're sat there in confusion trying to figure out who I am - I had a name change due to "personal safety issues" ;)

Where's the confused as feck smiley????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've had to stop for a while due to a lying cheating scumbag and law exams that I've to complete next week - also haven't been in work for a while so I've no routine at all these days.
    But once they are out of the way I'll be back to the usual routine and I think I'll be going back to week two to build up again - I was due to tackle Week 4, but after 3 weeks of a break I think that might be pushing it a bit!!

Good luck with your exams! I ran regularly though my final year in college and my masters year, and I can honestly say it helped to keep me sane. If you can even get out for a few walks while you're studying it will be very helpful.

"Mens sana in corpore sano" :)

Advertisement