Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Just clicked this and then clicked on to marathon site. I see a 5 mile race/run on July 17th. Anyone doing this? I had the Simon Fun Run in October earmarked as a goal but July might be more challenging...

(Here's the website http://dublinmarathon.ie/race_series.php)

Thank you thank you thank you!!! :D:D You really are an angel :D
    I was looking for a race to enter during the summer and couldn't find any!! Though the 5 mile race is about 8K, its not until the middle of July and I'm finishing the C25K in May so 2 months to build up to 8K i'd say would be ok wouldn't it? Both the 8K or 10K HalHigdon programs take that amount of time (8 weeks) so it might be ok!
    The other races are a 10mile (16K) in August and a Half marathon (20K) in Sept. Its €20 for each of the three races I think, with €5 discount if you book multiple races (so €20 for 1, €35 for 2 and €50 for 3).
    I must be completely mad.....I've just entered the 5mile and 10mile races!! :eek::eek: (May not be able to do the 10mile but entered anyway, might jog half and walk half!!)
    I must find a 5K race in May/June first tho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Guys check this website out for upcoming events:

http://www.runireland.com/

Thanks dollie, I checked that website before but couldn't see anything I could enter. Looked a bit more carefully this time, and here's the 5K races in May

Women’s Reasons to Run 5K
    Start Time: Sunday, 2 May 2010 - 12:00pm County: Wicklow Type: Road Race Distance: 5km

Pieta House Darkness into light (Limerick and Phoenix Park-starting at dawn!)
    Start Time: Saturday, 8 May 2010 - 5:00am County: Dublin/Limerick Type: Other Distance: 5km

Leixlip 5K
    Start Time: Saturday, 8 May 2010 - 11:00am County: Kildare Type: Road Race Distance: 5km

Run4One Phoenix Park 5K
    Start Time: Sunday, 9 May 2010 - 10:30am County: Dublin Type: Road Race Distance: 5km

Would anybody like to enter one of these with me?? Don't really want to do one alone! :eek: I'm not sure of my work rota for May so can't book a race yet, but the Phoenix park one sounds good, though its the weekend before my exams!!

(*Apologies for the uber-enthusiasm again!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

i am after booking a relay team into the cork city marathon, currently I have only 2 people agreed (incl me!!) but i know nearer the time it will be fine. i had to put in random names as well, so i hope that doesnt feck things up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Right guys gonna start this tonight! Wish me luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Good luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

best of luck ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Hi all,

Haven't read through the full thread yet so apologies if this has been covered already. I REALLY want to be able to run but I just can't seem to. I can cycle, I can do aerobics, I can walk and walk and walk but I can't run. I still haven't gotten past week 1 in the C25K system.

Basically I'll get out there and I'll do my 5 minute warm up and then I'll start the running sequences. My whole body feels like lead and I can barely lift my legs. After a couple of sequences of running I feel like I can't go on, and sometimes I can't! I also walk slower and slower as it goes on. My chest gets really sore as well as the muscles in my shoulders and I feel terrible during and afterwards. I do have sports induced asthma and started using my inhaler but that doesn't seem to help at all.

I think it's a mental thing but I don't know how to get past it. I just can't imagine ever being fit enough to be able to run 10k, 5k or even half a kilometre without stopping. I registered to run the Women's Mini Marathon after walking it last year but I doubt that will happen now. Even if I could do some of it I'd be happy. I just feel completely discouraged and don't know how to motivate myself. Does anyone else feel the same? Or does any in UL area want a very unfit buddy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks dollie, I checked that website before but couldn't see anything I could enter. Looked a bit more carefully this time, and here's the 5K races in May

Women’s Reasons to Run 5K
    Start Time: Sunday, 2 May 2010 - 12:00pm County: Wicklow Type: Road Race Distance: 5km

Pieta House Darkness into light (Limerick and Phoenix Park-starting at dawn!)
    Start Time: Saturday, 8 May 2010 - 5:00am County: Dublin/Limerick Type: Other Distance: 5km

Leixlip 5K
    Start Time: Saturday, 8 May 2010 - 11:00am County: Kildare Type: Road Race Distance: 5km

Run4One Phoenix Park 5K
    Start Time: Sunday, 9 May 2010 - 10:30am County: Dublin Type: Road Race Distance: 5km

Would anybody like to enter one of these with me?? Don't really want to do one alone! :eek: I'm not sure of my work rota for May so can't book a race yet, but the Phoenix park one sounds good, though its the weekend before my exams!!

(*Apologies for the uber-enthusiasm again!)

I would definately reccomend the Leixlip 5k. I didn't run it last year but everyone on the A/R/T forum who did, said it was an excellent race and very well organised and for only a €10 entry fee, I am sure it is by far the cheapest one on that list. It si also very flat apparently. Here is the thread on it over on A/R/T http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055771963
    I definately plan on running it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

ergonomics wrote: »
    Hi all,

Haven't read through the full thread yet so apologies if this has been covered already. I REALLY want to be able to run but I just can't seem to. I can cycle, I can do aerobics, I can walk and walk and walk but I can't run. I still haven't gotten past week 1 in the C25K system.

Basically I'll get out there and I'll do my 5 minute warm up and then I'll start the running sequences. My whole body feels like lead and I can barely lift my legs. After a couple of sequences of running I feel like I can't go on, and sometimes I can't! I also walk slower and slower as it goes on. My chest gets really sore as well as the muscles in my shoulders and I feel terrible during and afterwards. I do have sports induced asthma and started using my inhaler but that doesn't seem to help at all.

I think it's a mental thing but I don't know how to get past it. I just can't imagine ever being fit enough to be able to run 10k, 5k or even half a kilometre without stopping. I registered to run the Women's Mini Marathon after walking it last year but I doubt that will happen now. Even if I could do some of it I'd be happy. I just feel completely discouraged and don't know how to motivate myself. Does anyone else feel the same? Or does any in UL area want a very unfit buddy?

Hi ergo,

If it's a mental block then try and find a way to trick yourself into pushing through it. Competition is always good for pushing yourself that bit farther than you'd go on your own - is there anyone you can drag out with you?

As I just posted in Jwacqui's thread, you can make yourself run just to the next lamppost, then just to the end of the song, then just... and so on. It's all mental!

Also, try to keep your pace slow - really just a slow jog, not much faster than your walking pace. Don't go mad sprinting and exhaust yourself early on.

How do you prepare for going out? Do you eat or drink anything substantial right before going out? Do you get a good night's sleep first? Do you go straight from work without resting for a while?

If your chest and shoulders get sore, try and be conscious of your form when running. Don't let your shoulders droop down and don't curve your back much or hunch over. Do you stretch halfway through, or afterwards?

• Advertisement

Melia wrote: »
    Hi ergo,

If it's a mental block then try and find a way to trick yourself into pushing through it. Competition is always good for pushing yourself that bit farther than you'd go on your own - is there anyone you can drag out with you?

As I just posted in Jwacqui's thread, you can make yourself run just to the next lamppost, then just to the end of the song, then just... and so on. It's all mental!

Also, try to keep your pace slow - really just a slow jog, not much faster than your walking pace. Don't go mad sprinting and exhaust yourself early on.

How do you prepare for going out? Do you eat or drink anything substantial right before going out? Do you get a good night's sleep first? Do you go straight from work without resting for a while?

If your chest and shoulders get sore, try and be conscious of your form when running. Don't let your shoulders droop down and don't curve your back much or hunch over. Do you stretch halfway through, or afterwards?

Hi Melia,

Thanks for getting back so quickly! I have downloaded one of the podcasts you listed in your first post so hopefully that will help. I find looking at my watch the whole time is off putting!

I have tried the trick you mentioned. This time last year I couldn't even run from one lamp post to the next but now I can go for four or more! I try and focus on how good that feels but I just seem to get really tired. I also have a fear of suffocating or having an asthma attack and I think that's what puts me off more than anything. Being out running on my own and having an attack is a very scary prospect but I'll just have to get over it I guess.

Regarding preparing, I don't eat a big meal before hand because I don't want to feel too heavy or get a stitch. I never go out hungry though. In other words, I try to make sure I'm full and hydrated. Should I be doing something different with that? If I'm going out I usually go straight after work because if I sit down to rest I'll never get going again! My Uncle has run quite a few marathons and he told me to come home, get changed and go straight out because otherwise you'll find an excuse not to go out!

I stretch depending on what my body is saying. I went out today and needed to stretch halfway through but sometimes I'll be fine going straight through. I do a warm up routine before I start and always stretch afterwards.

I think my main issue is the fear of an asthma attack and that is what's causing the mental block. I've started telling my boyfriend where I'm going and how long I expect to be and if I'm any longer he is to ring me/come find me but I still don't fell secure! It's mad!!!

Hi Melia,

Thanks for getting back so quickly! I have downloaded one of the podcasts you listed in your first post so hopefully that will help. I find looking at my watch the whole time is off putting!

I have tried the trick you mentioned. This time last year I couldn't even run from one lamp post to the next but now I can go for four or more! I try and focus on how good that feels but I just seem to get really tired. I also have a fear of suffocating or having an asthma attack and I think that's what puts me off more than anything. Being out running on my own and having an attack is a very scary prospect but I'll just have to get over it I guess.

Regarding preparing, I don't eat a big meal before hand because I don't want to feel too heavy or get a stitch. I never go out hungry though. In other words, I try to make sure I'm full and hydrated. Should I be doing something different with that? If I'm going out I usually go straight after work because if I sit down to rest I'll never get going again! My Uncle has run quite a few marathons and he told me to come home, get changed and go straight out because otherwise you'll find an excuse not to go out!

I stretch depending on what my body is saying. I went out today and needed to stretch halfway through but sometimes I'll be fine going straight through. I do a warm up routine before I start and always stretch afterwards.

I think my main issue is the fear of an asthma attack and that is what's causing the mental block. I've started telling my boyfriend where I'm going and how long I expect to be and if I'm any longer he is to ring me/come find me but I still don't fell secure! It's mad!!!

Great, I find the podcasts really help. Looking at your watch all the time will make it seem like it goes on forever. You're making progress, which is the main thing! Even if it's slow you'll get there eventually.

Other people might advise differently, but I tend to run on an empty stomach or else only having eaten something very light (like a banana) with a pint of water about an hour beforehand. Then I come back and have my meal straightaway. If I'm running in the evening, I try to leave an hour between eating and going out. Could you try going in the morning? I'd be wrecked too if I was going straight after work.

I'm fairly lax with the stretching. I've been told never to stretch cold muscles, so I jog for a while and usually stop about ten minutes in to do a few quick stretches. Then when I get home I do my stretches while dinner is cooking and have my shower.

The worry of an asthma attack would get to me too, I'm lucky that I don't have asthma. Again, if there's anyone you can get to go running with you (your boyfriend?) it might help you relax a bit more. If you're a member of a gym you could try doing it on a treadmill, though I prefer doing it outdoors - the scenery's more interesting and the time seems like it goes faster.

If none of this helps, then maybe running's just not your thing? You say you cycle and do aerobics - exercise in a way you actually enjoy or it'll be tough to motivate yourself to do it.

Hi Melia,

This time last year I couldn't even run from one lamp post to the next but now I can go for four or more! I try and focus on how good that feels but I just seem to get really tired. I also have a fear of suffocating or having an asthma attack and I think that's what puts me off more than anything. Being out running on my own and having an attack is a very scary prospect but I'll just have to get over it I guess.

You poor thing!

The good news is - it's not a physical thing. If you're able for the cycling or the aerobics you're able for the running. It's obviously a big fear you have. I really feel for you because I have a similar fear about heights. It really upsets me. Even on esculators I can get freaked out. Nothing has happened but its the thought that something 'might' happen that gets me really stressed. It is a mental thing. And the more I think about it the more convinced I am that I'm going to fall or the building, cliff etc is going to fall - completely irrational!!!:D

Have you had a bad attack before or recently? You're obviously very aware yourself of the symptoms before an attack and it feels like that feeling when you first start running.

If it helps, somebody told me that it can take a km or 2 to get your pace a breathing right. Sometimes I feel completely out of breath at the beginning, and then a 2km in I feel great.

I don't have asthma so I can't really help you, but I guess if you do all of this in your own time and your own pace you'll get there!

You're very brave to even try it! I hope you get there......

Ergo would your bf or a friend go jogging with you? I'd say its probably the worrying about the asthma thats having an effect on the jogging. You have to adopt a new attitude and self belief-I CAN do this, I CAN jog this far/long. And make sure you have your inhaler and phone with you in case of having an attack.
    I would agree with Dollie in that its a problem with fear. But I would also agree with Melia, some sports aren't for everyone, especially with an asthma problem. Don't be too hard on yourself either, if walking/cycling etc works for you then thats fab too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said in my own thread doing the mini marathon for a very good cause and am determined to run at least half of it! I've been running for spurts of 2 mins for a while but haven't pushed myself any further! Starting this officially tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

Woohoo! Another recruit Melia :D Well done on taking the plunge DWG you def won't regret it! Best of luck for tomorrow! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

Wayhey!

More people, the whole country will be out running at this rate - or at least all the boardises!:pac:

Have to get back into it myself this week:o

Wayhey!

More people, the whole country will be out running at this rate - or at least all the boardises!:pac:

Have to get back into it myself this week:o

Hehe I'm convinced I passed two girls this morning doing the program, both had ipods on and were shuffling along not v fastly! Every jogger I see now I'm thinking I wonder if they're doing C25K! :D

Thanks melia, dolliemix and brainyneuron! I really hope running just isn't my thing as I really want to be able! I am going to keep at it and see what happens.

dolliemix - I've never had an attack so I think that's partly it; I don't what it'll be like when it happens. As I only have sports induced asthma it only affects me when I'm exercising but I make sure to use my inhaler before I go out and keep it on me just in case. You asked if I'd had a bad attack recently and that got me thinking - the last two times I went to the gym to run on the treadmill (I live in a hilly area!), my chest got really tight but I ignored it and kept running thinking I'd get past it. Next thing I knew I had fainted. That's probably where the fear is coming from and, if I say so myself, it's justified!

I will definitely ask my boyfriend/a friend to come with me in future though. I am so determined to do this but last night I felt so down. New day and new start though!

You asked if I'd had a bad attack recently and that got me thinking - the last two times I went to the gym to run on the treadmill (I live in a hilly area!), my chest got really tight but I ignored it and kept running thinking I'd get past it. Next thing I knew I had fainted.

Jayzus no wonder you're not happy running! :eek: U poor thing! I'd say leave the C25K and jogging/running in general and just do what suits you like walking/swimming/cycling! You don't want to be putting yourself in danger at all!

• Advertisement

So...did W5D2 today and didn't die woohoo!!! :D:D Was kinda scared heading out this morning because I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it (because of the run on Monday when I struggled thru the second 5 mins). I said to myself tho that I'd see how the first run went and if I felt like I couldn't run past the 5min mark I'd just follow W5D1 again. Got to the 5min mark and felt great so kept going! Today was 8min jog, 5 min walk and 8min jog :eek: Feel fantastic after it! Feel a bit more ready for the 20min run on Friday, its still scary but I'll go for it anyway!!:cool:

Melia and DWG how did your runs go? Was a gorgeous day out there, up until about 10 mins ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Another recruit here - I finished week 1 yesterday.. I had managed ok the first two sessions but yesterday when I started it seemed reaaaallly hard (maybe due to Easter excesses)however I was thinking of all the positive posts here and kept going and by the end of it felt better than I had the previous 2 times

Roll on week 2 tomorrow!!!

what2do wrote: »
    Another recruit here - I finished week 1 yesterday.. I had managed ok the first two sessions but yesterday when I started it seemed reaaaallly hard (maybe due to Easter excesses)however I was thinking of all the positive posts here and kept going and by the end of it felt better than I had the previous 2 times

Yep thats how I felt on Monday too-nearly gave up but knew I'd have to admit it here so kept going!!
    Well done for starting!!! :D Best of luck for tomorrow!!

I dreamed last night that I was out running and bumped into Jwacqui. Weird.

I'm on my way out now... I'll keep a look out!

Melia wrote: »
    I dreamed last night that I was out running and bumped into Jwacqui. Weird.

I'm on my way out now... I'll keep a look out!

Woohoo best of luck! Hope you get some sun! What day are u doing? Starting week 4??

So...did W5D2 today and didn't die woohoo!!! :D:D Was kinda scared heading out this morning because I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it (because of the run on Monday when I struggled thru the second 5 mins). I said to myself tho that I'd see how the first run went and if I felt like I couldn't run past the 5min mark I'd just follow W5D1 again. Got to the 5min mark and felt great so kept going! Today was 8min jog, 5 min walk and 8min jog :eek: Feel fantastic after it! Feel a bit more ready for the 20min run on Friday, its still scary but I'll go for it anyway!!:cool:

Melia and DWG how did your runs go? Was a gorgeous day out there, up until about 10 mins ago!

Well done! Getting out and doing it again after not feeling 100% comfortable the last time is a real test. Next one is the 20 min isn't it?
    what2do wrote: »

Fair play. There will be days where it doesn't feel right. But then you'll go out on another day all nervous and feel brilliant. The fact that you complete the program on the days that you're not feeling right are the days that you're really doing the hard work. You just have to keep going as much as possible on those days.

the sense of achievement and surprise on those days when you're not feeling you're up to it, and then you make it, makes that session all the better.

Those days are the real test of fitness and determination.

There will be days like that. The main thing is that you get out and do it, pain and all. Because the result at the end is worth it!

dolliemix wrote: »
    Well done! Getting out and doing it again after not feeling 100% comfortable the last time is a real test. Next one is the 20 min isn't it?

Haha yep :eek::eek: (Happily in denial at the mo!) :D:eek:

Haha yep :eek::eek: (Happily in denial at the mo!) :D:eek:

you'll be fine! Just take it nice and slowly. If you're able for two eight minute runs you're able for the 20!

I'm so exited that you've made it this far! What day are you doing it?

dolliemix wrote: »
    you'll be fine! Just take it nice and slowly. If you're able for two eight minute runs you're able for the 20!

I'm so exited that you've made it this far! What day are you doing it?

Haha hope so :eek::D Positive thinking! Feel the fear and do it anyway :D:D
    Doing it on Friday morning, normally would give myself a bigger gap between runs (Tues, Thurs, Sun) but my friends are up from Cork for the weekend and we'll prob be going out on Fri and Sat nights! (I'll be sober but have learned my lesson from last week-don't go jogging when tired or after a night out of dancing!!)

Want to do the 5K in Phoenix Park on the 9th May? I know you'll prob be up to 10k by then but I'd love to do a race together! Mentor and student :D

• Advertisement

Haha hope so :eek::D Positive thinking! Feel the fear and do it anyway :D:D
    Doing it on Friday morning, normally would give myself a bigger gap between runs (Tues, Thurs, Sun) but my friends are up from Cork for the weekend and we'll prob be going out on Fri and Sat nights! (I'll be sober but have learned my lesson from last week-don't go jogging when tired or after a night out of dancing!!)

Want to do the 5K in Phoenix Park on the 9th May? I know you'll prob be up to 10k by then but I'd love to do a race together! Mentor and student :D

Ha! I won't be ready for a 10k until 7th June - the Day of the Mini Marathon.

The 5k on May 9th sounds good actually. And I'd love to run in the Pheonix Park. My friends birthday is that weekend so I'll just have to make sure that she has nothing planned for that Sunday....I'm supposed to be doing 'easy' 3 mile runs on Sundays anyway in May according to my program...so a 5k would be perfect. I'll let you know as soon as she decides...

Advertisement