Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

ommnyom wrote: »
    Did the w7d2 yesterday, I thought it would start getting easier, but about 15 minutes in I really had to psych myself into keeping going as well as slow right down for a couple of minutes. This is the third time I've done the 25min, and had thought that the jump to 28 would be easy! Now I'm getting a bit worried about it and am considering repeating week 7.. I'm not sure if I should just bear it out and push through, especially as I'm not injured or in pain when jogging, it just feels like my legs have turned to lead towards the end. What do you think? Get this c25k monster over and done with by pushing on or taking it easy and repeating week 7 again?

I suggest that you slow down and keep going with the program. When you're able to jog for 30 minutes then work on speeding up. That's what I plan to do anyway but YMMV :) (I'm on W8, D2 tomorrow)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

vic20 wrote: »
    I suggest that you slow down and keep going with the program. When you're able to jog for 30 minutes then work on speeding up. That's what I plan to do anyway but YMMV :) (I'm on W8, D2 tomorrow)

I could be wrong, but from what I've read, there is no speeding up.

My interpretation was that you are either able to run at the tempo provided by the music, or if you can't then you just repeat the session until such time as you can do so without having to stop.

I'm using the DJ Steveboy Podrunner Interval tracks by the way.

T-Square wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but from what I've read, there is no speeding up.

My interpretation was that you are either able to run at the tempo provided by the music, or if you can't then you just repeat the session until such time as you can do so without having to stop.

I'm using the DJ Steveboy Podrunner Interval tracks by the way.

I must be old school! I run without music. My reading of the plan is that you either run for distance or run for time. Music has nothing to do with it except as an aid to save you looking at your watch.
    I never liked to listen to music when I'm out walking and now jogging but I do use the voice-only prompts http://web.me.com/iestynx/Couch_to_5K/Podcast/Podcast.html which suit me fine.

Yup, old skool ;)

The whole C25K thing is coming from podcasts (music at varying bpm)

But you are definitely right about running for time or distance.

If you don't run at the required tempo, and are running a lot slower, you have to start measuring your distance. If people are doing that, it's all okay!

What I suspect is happening is this...people aren't running at the required tempo (150bpm) and aren't measuring their distance, e.g. 800m. Because of this they aren't reaching the appropriate level of fitness for the next level.

They then do the next level and suffer (see examples from previous posts)

eek! I've said too much.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm starting to get worried :eek:
    I bought my first running magazine today. Spotted a copy of Runner's World on the shelf, picked it up just to have a quick look at it and ended up buying it.
    Have I passed some point of no return that I didn't know about?

Get used to it :P

I've went the same way recently, I bought Runners World and Running Fitness, as well as several books about runners and running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ommnyom

I'm not using any music either, have the c25k iPhone app, but don't listen to it anymore since I graduated to 20 minutes. I don't like having the ear phones in as they irritate my ears after a while. I'm going to try it slow and steady then up the speed.. hopefully I'll be able to! Yesterday I did 3.7k in the 35 minutes so it definitely wasn't fast paced enough.

Thanks T-square, I might have a look at those podrunner interval tracks once I hit the 30 to see what pace they recommend.

Yup, old skool ;)

The whole C25K thing is coming from podcasts (music at varying bpm)

But you are definitely right about running for time or distance.

If you don't run at the required tempo, and are running a lot slower, you have to start measuring your distance. If people are doing that, it's all okay!

What I suspect is happening is this...people aren't running at the required tempo (150bpm) and aren't measuring their distance, e.g. 800m. Because of this they aren't reaching the appropriate level of fitness for the next level.

They then do the next level and suffer (see examples from previous posts)

eek! I've said too much.:eek:

I think we'll have to agree to differ on this :) I couldn't care less about music, bpm, whatever. All I know is that I can now jog for 28 minutes and cover a bit over 2 miles whereas 2 months ago I could hardly jog for 200 yards. As I said earlier when I finish the program I'll work on my speed. In the New Year I'll start a bit of hill work and fartlek.

Get used to it :P

I've went the same way recently, I bought Runners World and Running Fitness, as well as several books about runners and running.

Sigh....I suppose I will :D (more books cluttering up the place for "her indoors" to complain about)
    This is my 25th post, do I get a prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Vic - gotta say, that's how I'm looking at it. Just the fact I can jog for longer than 30 seconds without falling over makes me feel great. I do think I'll redo the program again, pushing myself faster though. I do realise I go very slow. But it's definitely jogging (both feet off the ground) so I don't care about distance!

Btw - did the 20 min w5d3 today :) 10 second break to try cross a road which I know helped.. But I got through it! :D

Jean wrote: »

Btw - did the 20 min w5d3 today :) 10 second break to try cross a road which I know helped.. But I got through it! :D

Well done!! That was the most daunting one for me anyways. I've a friend who jogs on footpaths and she jogs on the spot when waiting for the lights to change.

• Advertisement

Well done on breaking the 20 min. barrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Did W3D2 yesterday..

.. it went grand but it was quite warm, whereas I went out on Monday evening and it was a little cold, but as soon as you start jogging.. that's the perfect temperature.

5 minute jog next week.. am dreading it but in saying that, I was dreading the 3 minute jog too, and they're not "bad" (don't get me wrong.. they're tough, but they're not terribly tough).

I think we'll have to agree to differ on this :) I couldn't care less about music, bpm, whatever. All I know is that I can now jog for 28 minutes and cover a bit over 2 miles whereas 2 months ago I could hardly jog for 200 yards. As I said earlier when I finish the program I'll work on my speed. In the New Year I'll start a bit of hill work and fartlek.

Hi Vic,

no probs, agree to disagree, but just wanted to say that I *think* you may already be doing fartlek type training (at a much reduced level as we are all just starting out)

Hi Vic,

no probs, agree to disagree, but just wanted to say that I *think* you may already be doing fartlek type training (at a much reduced level as we are all just starting out)

Yeah, I suppose that the early weeks with their walk/run intervals _could_ be construed as fartlek style training.

I did W8D2 today. Felt great and was tempted to keep going for another 2 minutes but decided that I've come too far to feck it up by getting ahead of myself in the program.

I'm doing W5.2 tonight, bit apprehensive as my calf muscles cramp.

I'm doing W5.2 tonight, bit apprehensive as my calf muscles cramp.

I suppose you've found this (or similar) http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/backlowerleg/calfcramp.htm

I used to suffer legs cramps for a while. Mentioned it to my GP while I was there about something else. After a few questions it was decided that I wasn't getting enough salt. Sure enough, he was right. I was working in a hot environment, sweating gallons and not eating properly. While I was replacing the fluids I wasn't replacing the salt.

A friend swears by a banana a day to prevent cramps.

Good luck with your run tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

W3D2 completed.

My nose is so sore. Like I'd understand if it was my legs but my nose?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

W8D3 completed.

Have been on hols this last fortnight in the sunny south east and wasn't sure I'd keep it up. Thankfully I did and it has gone very well. It has been a bit of a change dodging nettles and horse crap on the small by-roads of rural county wexford compared to my normal running around SoCoDu but it has been great. Air so fresh....almost sweet.

I did hit the wall on Sunday on the first 28 minute run. I imploded around 24 mins and had to stop with cramps, stitch, grunting etc. etc. Walked a bit and got going again but couldn't keep it going. Was a bit dispirited about it but funnily enough i flew it on D2 and just earlier. I drove my running route in my car and figure I'm doing 3miles or thereabouts plus whatever I cover on the walking. That would have been utterly unthinkable two short months ago.

Feeling great and so glad I found this thread. Managed to get 5 swims in the sea in, which I also attribute to my new increased fitness level.

Onwards and upwards.

W3D2 completed.

My nose is so sore. Like I'd understand if it was my legs but my nose?

Sunburn?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

No not sunburn. More of a kinda conjested feeling.

• Advertisement

Day off today so the wife & I decided to go on a recce of a hill walk that we were told about recently. 9K and nearly two hours later we were back at the car. I'm still amazed at the difference in my fitness that this program is making :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 snoozysusie

I'm still amazed at the difference in my fitness that this program is making :D

I know what you mean! Started to cycle a bit since I've been doing c25k and up until now, I wouldn't have even crossed the road for fear of breaking into a sweat.
    Finished w6d3 earlier today...week 7 should be fun with no walking breaks at all!;). Thinking about doing the programme in the morning before I go to work...just hope I won't be wrecked for the whole day afterwards...

I know what you mean! Started to cycle a bit since I've been doing c25k and up until now, I wouldn't have even crossed the road for fear of breaking into a sweat.
    Finished w6d3 earlier today...week 7 should be fun with no walking breaks at all!;). Thinking about doing the programme in the morning before I go to work...just hope I won't be wrecked for the whole day afterwards...

You're over the worst of it now. W7 is just W6D3 repeated. Then you'll be fit enough for W8 & so on. You're nearly there!
    (I'll be out tomorrow morning to finish W8)
    No fear of me getting on a bike except maybe a stationary one)

Snoozysusie - I feel I should do the same - I come back from work and I'm mentally wrecked, which leads to being physically wrecked and makes running so much harder. However, eating earlier than an hour after waking up makes me feel really sick so I'd have to get up at like 5am :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

i keep starting this programme but between work and weather its never gets going but good feeling this time

w1d2 completed today also got a listen of week 6 while i was out. did not like the sound of it but from reading on here i imagine it will be grand when i get to that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭Basq

W3D3 Complete

As normal at the end of each week, I pushed myself for Day 3.

Wasn't fairly knackered (muscles) at the end.

Not looking forward to the 5 minute jog next week.

W8 done. Much faster today. As I got to the spot where I finished on Thursday I still had 3 minutes to go.
    Looking forward to the 30 minute runs next week :)

Good luck to all!

Vic - you're doing so well! Real inspiration! Going to head out for w6d1 either today or tomorrow morning :) woo! Almost two thirds done!

Vic - you're doing so well! Real inspiration! Going to head out for w6d1 either today or tomorrow morning :) woo! Almost two thirds done!

Hi Jean, thanks for that. Be careful with W6.
    D2 of W6 was the only stumbling block I've had so far in the program. I took off too fast on the second 10 minute run and my legs turned to lead. I had to give up. Took the next day off and then went out and repeated D2 being _very_ careful about my pace.

Have fun :D

• Advertisement

Got w8d1 done today! Starting to think about my options for after I graduate the c25k. I figure spend some time getting comfortable at 30min and upping the pace. I'm considering starting on the One Hour Runner program. The first few weeks are around 30 minutes anyways. That means I should get an hour done before the end of the year! Ahg, I feel as though I'm getting hooked on these jogging sessions.

I'm going in to lidl on Monday in the hope of checking out the womens running trousers. If they are decent I'll store them away for the final c25k jog. Anyone buying anything to celebrate their c25k goals?

Advertisement