Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Hadn't considered it.. But I do want to buy a watch thingy that tracks my blood pressure! Maybe I'll treat myself when I finish! Good idea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Completed W3D3 this morning.

I slowed my pace quite a bit and didn't find it as tough as the last day.

Aye stench blossoms! It's incredible how far ya can go on a lower tempo!

Just in from w6d1 - the last 45 seconds of the 8 min and the second 5 min, I pushed hard and went about.. 85% of my top speed (guess i usually jog about 50% as a comparison) because I had the energy - perhaps I moderated my speed too low at the beginning of the session! But feel good now - quite an up and down road so felt I did get a good work out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

For those of you who are nearly finished you could move on to this program after C25k. It's like a natural progression from C25k and it builds you up really well for a 10k race!

Oh, that looks good! I had considered one hour runner, but I like that that one is a bit more varied - ohr seemed to be just building up extra minutes running each week - no walk breaks, or longer/shorter runs - I'd go crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

dolliemix wrote: »
    For those of you who are nearly finished you could move on to this program after C25k. It's like a natural progression from C25k and it builds you up really well for a 10k race!

Have to agree - pretty much anyone who has gone Couch to 5k -> Hal Higdon Novice 10k has gotten on fine.

I would also suggest picking a race over the next couple of months and aiming for it. The Rathfarnham 5k is on the last weekend in September (the 26th) and that's a very popular and well-organised race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 snoozysusie

I would also suggest picking a race over the next couple of months and aiming for it. The Rathfarnham 5k is on the last weekend in September (the 26th) and that's a very popular and well-organised race.

I was thinking of doing the Rathfarnham 5k but am a little apprehensive of entering an organised event. I'll hopefully be finished c25k around September 17th ...I'm just afraid of making a complete idiot of myself. In fairness, a friend who is a seasoned runner has offered to do it with me, so I really shouldn't be that scared...but I can't help it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

I was thinking of doing the Rathfarnham 5k but am a little apprehensive of entering an organised event. I'll hopefully be finished c25k around September 17th ...I'm just afraid of making a complete idiot of myself. In fairness, a friend who is a seasoned runner has offered to do it with me, so I really shouldn't be that scared...but I can't help it!:)

Me too re possibly doing the Rathfarnham 5K. I'm at W9D1, just completed this eve and am looking for something tangible to aim for/celebrate what I've managed to achieve courtesy of C25K. I have no inhibitions about making an eejit of myself and by the looks of it it is an option for all levels of runners. Give it a lash...you've absolutely nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I did my first 8 minute run yesterday. Wasn't too bad at all.
    The benefits of warming up are becoming more evident with each session.

As I'm heading away on holidays in a week, I'll get the first 3.2km/20minute run under my belt tomorrow (W5S3) and then just try to repeat that over the holiday, so I'm not stuck having to fall back a few weeks and recover lost ground. Sounds reasonable to you guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I did the 2008 Rathfarnham 5k as my first ever race. I was really nervous about it, didn't even tell anyone else I was doing it. It is a very good race for first-timers though, despite the fact that a lot of very fast people do it you'll also have a lot of people doing it for whom it is either their local race or their first 5k, and that will be finishing with slower times. I finished in just over 30 minutes in '08, and to actually see that I wasn't the slowest or the fattest person in the race gave me a massive confidence boost. (I've since taken my 5k time down to about 24 minutes)

Also, the course is slightly downhill overall so it's a very easy 5k course. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

T-Square wrote: »
    I did my first 8 minute run yesterday. Wasn't too bad at all.
    The benefits of warming up are becoming more evident with each session.

As I'm heading away on holidays in a week, I'll get the first 3.2km/20minute run under my belt tomorrow (W5S3) and then just try to repeat that over the holiday, so I'm not stuck having to fall back a few weeks and recover lost ground. Sounds reasonable to you guys?

Makes sense to me (for what that's worth) :)

This running lark is getting addictive! I've a lot to do later today so here I am waiting for daybreak so that I can go out and get a run in first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm probably going to buy one of those garmin watches too, the ones with the heart rate monitor and GPS built in. It's probably the only running equipment I can buy now where I don't have to worry about it becoming too big.

I bought some t-shirts for running though, the ones I have aren't really the best.

I've bought a few books about running, and just finished Ultramarathon man last night. It's about a guy who runs what are known as Ultramarathons, so distances such as 50, 100 or even 200 miles!

I started Born to Run then last night after finishing the other book I just mentioned.

I stupidly thought I could start week 4 today without having a rest day. Got the first 3min run done and had to turn back. My shins were killing me. Barely was able to make it back to the house. :(

I stupidly thought I could start week 4 today without having a rest day. Got the first 3min run done and had to turn back. My shins were killing me. Barely was able to make it back to the house. :(

I thought that I could do the same but soon discovered that the rest days are there for a reason. Icepack/(bag of peas), elevation & rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That's unfortunate Stench Blossoms!

I also did W4D1 today.. was tough going to be honest.

It's the first time I really broke an all-over sweat, although I attribute a certain amount of that to the heat, and lack of any breeze whatsoever.

The 5 minute jogs were tough.. I prefer a jog spanning 1 song on my iPhone, as opposed to 2! :D

Am away tomorrow and Wednesday so Thursday and Saturday will be Day 2 and Day 3. With hopefully starting back into my Mon-Wed-Fri trend with Week 5 next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc1am3KyYgA

Lidl's running gear :D
    My kids claim to be emotionally scarred for life on the news that their father has bought (running) tights!
    Had that fecking song rattling around my head all day!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 snoozysusie

Re Rathfarnham 5k, I think I'm just going to have to get over myself, bite the bullet and just do it!!!!
    Did w7d1 this morning before work, and managed not to fall asleep at my desk...:)

I did my 20 minute run last night!!! week 5 session 3,
    which means I'm now passed the half way mark.

My legs were fairly tired at the end of it,
    but I was elated from the achievement.

Going on holidays soon, so will bring the runners,
    and will try and find (via Google maps) a grassy area to ensure my intervals aren't interrupted.

According to the mp3, my cardiovascular health has increased eight fold!

Yahoo!

PS: For those of you suffering from shin pain, try this, as it worked for me.
    Stand on the last step on the stairs, with just your toes on the edge of the step,
    and let your heels drop for 30s, one foot at a time, you'll get a really deep stretch in your calf muscle doing this, so you shin muscle isn't over-worked.

I did my 20 minute run last night!!! week 5
    PS: For those of you suffering from shin pain, try this, as it worked for me.
    <snip>
    Stand on the last step on the stairs, with just your toes on the edge of the step,
    and let your heels drop for 30s, one foot at a time, you'll get a really deep stretch in your calf muscle doing this, so you shin muscle isn't over-worked.

Well done!

On stretching, I found #5 here http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm helpful. Loosened things up very well.

My shins/calfs are still really sore so I've decided to bow and just write this week off. Heading to Eletric Picnic on Friday so won't be able to fit any more runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Hey guys,

It's been a few weeks since I've posted, I haven't been running in about 2-3 weeks because of a minor injury and then huge work deadlines! Thankfully everything's sorted now and I'm ready to get back on track, but I'm looking for a bit of advice first.

I completed W3 successfully and tried W4D1 (this was with the minor injury) and it didn't go so well; I gave up just past the halfway mark. Should I dive straight back into W4 or repeat W3D3 to ease myself back in?

I'd love to get the programme completed asap, but I think if I tried Week 4 and couldn't do it, then my motivation might disappear....any thoughts?

Personally I'd go back to week 3 day 1, and if that doesn't feel comfortable, then try week 2 day 1.

Personally I'd go back to week 3 day 1, and if that doesn't feel comfortable, then try week 2 day 1.

I agree with that advice.

My shins/calfs are still really sore so I've decided to bow and just write this week off. Heading to Eletric Picnic on Friday so won't be able to fit any more runs.

If you've got shin splints a rest would be a good idea...take it easy at the weekend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Ok I have decided I am now ready for this...

Would anyone like to join me starting W1 Day 1 next Monday? (6th Sept)

If not I'll do it anyway!

Eibhin wrote: »
    Ok I have decided I am now ready for this...

Would anyone like to join me starting W1 Day 1 next Monday? (6th Sept)

If not I'll do it anyway!

There's always someone starting. Start it anyway!

And we'll all be behind ya offering advice whenever ya need it :D

Supposed to go running today, but went to Blink 182 (EPPPPPPPIC) last night, and ended up on my feet lepping up and down the entire time so I'm exhausted and achey - bring on.. er.. W6D2 tomorrow :D

Aw, though just checking the app I use to record my runs, it didn't record W6D1.. wanna repeat that now so I've got all the runs done!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

jokettle wrote: »
    Hey guys,

It's been a few weeks since I've posted, I haven't been running in about 2-3 weeks because of a minor injury and then huge work deadlines! Thankfully everything's sorted now and I'm ready to get back on track, but I'm looking for a bit of advice first.

I completed W3 successfully and tried W4D1 (this was with the minor injury) and it didn't go so well; I gave up just past the halfway mark. Should I dive straight back into W4 or repeat W3D3 to ease myself back in?

I'd love to get the programme completed asap, but I think if I tried Week 4 and couldn't do it, then my motivation might disappear....any thoughts?

Ok, so I did a Week 3 run and didn't find it too bad at all. I'd love to start W4 on Friday but I'll probably play it safe and do all of Week 3 again to ease myself back in.Thanks for the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm starting Week 5 again tomorrow. I had completed Days 1 and 2 of Week 5 last week but have been away and haven't jogged for over a week so the 20 minute jog is probably a bit much at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Ok will definitely just go for it. Is is a good idea to start on a monday or should I just get stuck in tomorrow?

Also, I have a (very unused but very good) treadmill, so should I start on that or go to the park?

Last question, and sorry if it's a stupid one...when you are out running around the park, how do you time yourself? I don't want to be fiddling with a mobile phone's stopwatch...should I get a stopwatch or just count in my head?

Thanks guys and will keep y'all posted!

FYI I am not a runner at all so be patient with me!!

Advertisement