Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Eibhin wrote: »
    Ok will definitely just go for it. Is is a good idea to start on a monday or should I just get stuck in tomorrow?

Also, I have a (very unused but very good) treadmill, so should I start on that or go to the park?

Last question, and sorry if it's a stupid one...when you are out running around the park, how do you time yourself? I don't want to be fiddling with a mobile phone's stopwatch...should I get a stopwatch or just count in my head?

Thanks guys and will keep y'all posted!

FYI I am not a runner at all so be patient with me!!

Might as well just go out and start it tomorrow, no point in waiting :)

It's really up to yourself whether you want to use a treadmill or go in the park, whatever works for you. The weather is nice these days so it would be good to get out, but as long as you do the work, it doesn't really matter where you do it.

Regarding the counting, I have an app that I use on my iPhone. It lets me play my music and it gives me audio prompts to tell me when to walk or jog, so I don't have to keep messing around with stop watches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Eibhin - None of us were runners.. and look at us now! Discussing watches and speeds and manly running tights ;)

Just don't head off too quick - keep your pace moderated :) It'll be easier to tell how to moderate after you do a couple of runs. Also, I'd say go to the park - ya have stuff to look at which takes your mind off the running :)

Like GM, I also use an app on the iphone - great little thing - so handy! I know other people use the mp3s (of which there are different sets with different music) but as I haven't used them, I can't comment - hopefully someone else will step in here?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I use the original interval training podcasts.
    The "music" isn't really music, it's more like a DJ type mix session, that changes tempo. So its about 120 bpm for walking, and 140-150bpm for jogging, with little tunes to indicate you should start running walking. It works really well, and I don't have to think or even pay attention, fire and forget.
    T-Square wrote: »
    Do you guys use this stuff?
    I think its pretty good.
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html

Bit wary of the five minute runs this week as I'm on week 4 now...

W5D2 Complete again

Seeing it's been over a week since I last went out on Week 5 Day 2 I decided that today I would repeat week 5. At least that was my intention anyway. I managed to drag myself out of bed about 6.30am and stretched, put on one of my new running t-shirts and headed out. It was a tiny bit cold but I knew once I got jogging I'd soon warmup.

Anyway I meant to do Week 5 Day 1 today but I forgot to reset the iPhone app correctly so I ended up doing Week 5, Day 2 today, which consists of two 8 minute jogs seperated by a 5 minute walk.

As I was doing the walk I'd been about half way around the park and checked the iPhone to see I had a ton of time left of the walk to do and I was like "jeez, is that 3 minutes not nearly up yet, I'm ready to jog again". That's because I still thought I was on Week 5, Day 1 which has more jogs and walks.

Anyway I ploughed on and did the next jog and the chimes went off and I was thinking "right, do this walk and give the last 5 minute jog a good blast". Then the audio prompts went "Cooldown". I was very confused. It looked like the workout was complete but it had been a completely different format to what I had suspected. I thought the software was on the blink again but it was only when it had finished and I checked and I seen that I had done Week 5 Day 2 instead of Week 5 Day 1, which explained it.

The good thing was that the 8 minute jogs were very easy. I was going at a very, very easy pace, just a bit faster than walking and I could easily have kept going much longer. The left knee felt a tiny bit sore at times but it was very minor. No stitches either recently which is a good thing. I think what might have helped that is going at the slower pace and trying to control my breathing more, taking bigger, deeper breath's rather than short, sharp, fast breath's. Even as I was jogging I was breathing very easily, without much hassle at all.

To be honest, I feel ready for the 20 minute jog now which is Week 5, Day 3. I came through Week 5 Day 2 with ease today and I could have kept going with no issues whatsoever. I thought my fitness would have dropped off after my few days away and having left it a week between workouts but it seems to still be there.

So the plan is go head out on Saturday morning and do Week 5, Day 3 which is the 20 minute jog. Not so long ago I was dreading that, but now I'm looking forward to it and I feel like if I just pace myself the same, it will be achievable.

I'm not too worried about speed at the moment, I'll focus on that later perphaps once I get comfortable doing the 20 and 30 minute jogs.

The only issue was that I came home, stretched and I'm so used to doing this in the evenings and stuff that when I come home from the jog, I flick on the computer, write up my report and mess around and have dinner.

Today I had to come back, stretch, shower and force myself to come into work, when all I wanted to do was sit and think and talk about my exercise.

That's natural, you are only human.

I read your entire post, and I think you'll complete c25k no problems.

I've never tried running in the am, I always run between 6 and 9pm.

But as I'm going to a warm climate for a few weeks, I reckon a 6am run might be on the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Eibhin wrote: »
    Ok will definitely just go for it. Is is a good idea to start on a monday or should I just get stuck in tomorrow?

Also, I have a (very unused but very good) treadmill, so should I start on that or go to the park?

Last question, and sorry if it's a stupid one...when you are out running around the park, how do you time yourself? I don't want to be fiddling with a mobile phone's stopwatch...should I get a stopwatch or just count in my head?

Thanks guys and will keep y'all posted!

FYI I am not a runner at all so be patient with me!!

Hi Eibhin,

Start whenever you're ready. It'll get easier as you progress.

I'd suggest dusting off the treadmill when the weather gets worse but for now enjoy the fresh air.

I used Iestyn Lloyd's voice only prompts
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/couch-to-5k/id330693850 as I don't like to listen to music when I'm out. A stopwatch would work too. Whatever floats your boat :)
    None of us were runners when we started out so don't worry :D

Have fun (& don't forget to stretch!)

Finished W9D3 this morning.

I'll just work on my pace for a while and see how I go. That would dovetail into the One Hour Runner program http://mindplunge.com/c25k/one-hour-runner.html if I decide to go down that road.

The camaraderie on this forum has been great :)

BTW, Grandmaster....I'm starting to change my mind about a shiny GPS watch thingie...I'm beginning to see that one might be useful. Roll on Christmas ;)

Keep safe (& mind the dog crap!)

Holy $hit! well done man!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Well done Vic!
    Great encouragement to the likes of me who is just starting out.

I did W2D2 on Monday and planned on doing W2D3 on Wed but am suffering from a headcold and a sore throat and didn't really feel up to it. I plan on doing it on Saturday now and then starting Week 3 next Monday.

kagni wrote: »
    Well done Vic!
    Great encouragement to the likes of me who is just starting out.

I did W2D2 on Monday and planned on doing W2D3 on Wed but am suffering from a headcold and a sore throat and didn't really feel up to it. I plan on doing it on Saturday now and then starting Week 3 next Monday.

Thanks.

Don't go out until you're properly over your cold or you'll really feel like sh1t and give up.

• Advertisement

vic20 wrote: »

BTW, Grandmaster....I'm starting to change my mind about a shiny GPS watch thingie...I'm beginning to see that one might be useful. Roll on Christmas ;)

It really was only a matter of time. I'm glad you've finally given up the futile resistance. You'll be much happier now that you've come out of the "I want a GPS watch" closet.

Speaking of GPS watches, I've ordered one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is the Garmin Forerunner the only worthwhile one? Between €120 and €150 depending on model? :eek:

It really was only a matter of time. I'm glad you've finally given up the futile resistance. You'll be much happier now that you've come out of the "I want a GPS watch" closet.

Dear God man! Take it easy on me!
    I've not properly come out of the "I'm a runner" closet, not to mention the "I wear (running) tights" closet and now you want me to come out of the "I want a GPS watch" closet as well???

Fecking house is full of closets :)

Seriously though..please keep us informed as to how you get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sog110

Hi All

I'm on Week 5 Day 2. Very impressed with training plan, never thought I would be able to run half this far. I am thinking of going to foot soultions in waterford to get analysed for proper trainers. Anyone know roughly what they charge for test and shoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Just finished week 4 today. Found a fiver in the grass as I was jogging so all in all not a bad day! 2 weeks to go and I'll be back up to where I was before. My fancy runners are made of wire mesh supposedly so that air can get in a bit of rain can get in also. It hasn't been a problem so far but I'm wondering what I'm going to do when there is ice and snow, buy some kind of water proof sock!?

Week 5 Day 3 Complete

So today was D-day, the first 20 minute jog and I completed it quite comfortably without stopping at any stage. It's a nice sense of achievement that I was able to do the 20 minutes without stopping. I did my usual trick of pacing myself and going at a very easy pace and quite slowly. I perhaps should have sped up a bit as it was kind of easy enough. However I know a guy who's a runner and does long distances and finished in the top 20 of the Adidas 10 mile run the other week and he was telling me not to worry about speed. He said it's more important to just get the time spent on your feet, and that the speed will come naturally.

He does lots of running and trains twice a day when he's gearing up for a race. He's offered to give me tips and training info and will pass on race info when I eventually decide I want to enter a race :)

Although I'm not really sure why on Week 6 I'm supposed to go back to doing these splits between walking and jogging. I did the 20 minutes solid today with no issue. Kind of feels like a step back but I guess I should do it anyway.

Week 5 Day 3 Complete

So today was D-day, the first 20 minute jog and I completed it quite comfortably without stopping at any stage. It's a nice sense of achievement
    <snip>

Well done GM! Yes, finishing your first 20 min. jog is a great feeling :)

I think the splits in W6 are there to ease you into the extra 5 mins. as you're at 25 mins. by the end of the week.

I went out this morning & decided to pick up the pace a bit...Silly Git! I knocked nearly a minute off the time of my first 1K but suffered badly later and couldn't keep going for the 30 mins. that I had planned.
    I'll have to take heed of your friend's advice.

hatful wrote: »
    Just finished week 4 today. Found a fiver in the grass as I was jogging so all in all not a bad day! 2 weeks to go and I'll be back up to where I was before. My fancy runners are made of wire mesh supposedly so that air can get in a bit of rain can get in also. It hasn't been a problem so far but I'm wondering what I'm going to do when there is ice and snow, buy some kind of water proof sock!?

Well done on finishing W4. Put the fiver on the lotto :)

My trail shoes have Gore-Tex in them & they're great. I've come back from runs with my shoes & legs covered in mud, dirt, etc but my lilly white socks are still perfectly clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Newbie posting here in the food diary, but love reading this thread as I started running 3 years ago, I really think it changed my life. Went from a base of nothing to next week doing a 10k race, and have done 3 half marathons. Would definatly recommmend joining a club, the support & encouragement you get is unreal, and i would say some of my best friends are now from there. When out running, chatting away about everything the time just flies, and if you are having a bad run, somebody will always give you support.

If anyone is around Dublin the Rathfarnham 5k at the end of the month is a good race to do, and never worry about being last/ slow etc, there are plenty of walkers. Next year then with more running under your belt you will be able to go back and beat your time:)

Supposed to finish W4 today, but am dying with a cold.

Should I go out regardless?

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    Supposed to finish W4 today, but am dying with a cold.

Should I go out regardless?

Don't go out.
    Copious amounts of hot rum, TLC, sofa, DVDs, etc, etc.
    Get well soon.

Birdsong wrote: »
    Newbie posting here in the food diary, but love reading this thread as I started running 3 years ago, I really think it changed my life. Went from a base of nothing to next week doing a 10k race, and have done 3 half marathons. Would definatly recommmend joining a club, the support & encouragement you get is unreal, and i would say some of my best friends are now from there. When out running, chatting away about everything the time just flies, and if you are having a bad run, somebody will always give you support.

If anyone is around Dublin the Rathfarnham 5k at the end of the month is a good race to do, and never worry about being last/ slow etc, there are plenty of walkers. Next year then with more running under your belt you will be able to go back and beat your time:)

Welcome!
    You mean you can run & talk at the same time??? :eek: I've a long way to go :D

vic20 wrote:
    Don't go out.
    Copious amounts of hot rum, TLC, sofa, DVDs, etc, etc.
    Get well soon.
    Went out before seeing your message vic20.. but it did me the world of good really.

The sun was very warm, but had a nice sun-shower mid-way through to cool me down.

The "dying with a cold" might have been a bit over-the-top but throat is killing me. However, i'm feeling a helluva lot better now.

Then I saw I'll have to do a 20 jog next week.. I'm finding the 5 minutes pretty tough going, but I'll pace myself and hopefully work through it!x

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Howdy All,

after almost a month off from C25K, I'm going to get my shorts on in a bit and attempt to pick up where I left off....

However, I found out last night that I have to be bridesmaid for a wedding next year (no choice as I'm the only sister my brothers have!!) - I cannot afford to join a gym...will healthy eating and running/walking get me down a few dress sizes?
    I'm overly depressed today at the thought of being the fat pasty bridesmaid standing beside all the tall, thin, toned & tanned Americans this time next year. I know I have to do something but at this point I'm dreading having to give my measurements over email to a dressmaker & the brides family and the fear that when I get to the states the dress won't fit :(

We're talking about a 4 stone loss here in a year - is it possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Howdy All,

after almost a month off from C25K, I'm going to get my shorts on in a bit and attempt to pick up where I left off....

However, I found out last night that I have to be bridesmaid for a wedding next year (no choice as I'm the only sister my brothers have!!) - I cannot afford to join a gym...will healthy eating and running/walking get me down a few dress sizes?
    I'm overly depressed today at the thought of being the fat pasty bridesmaid standing beside all the tall, thin, toned & tanned Americans this time next year. I know I have to do something but at this point I'm dreading having to give my measurements over email to a dressmaker & the brides family and the fear that when I get to the states the dress won't fit :(

Hi Morrigan - Absolutely its possible. And the C25k is a great place to start. I was in your shoes back in Feb...feeling totally depressed and wondering where am i going to start. I also found out that my brother is getting married and like you I'm the only sister! (But I actually only got that news in May). ! joined weight watchers but thats a tenner a week so maybe just do your own private weigh in weekly and post a food diary here on boards.

Good news is I've seen wonderful results with all the hard work, organisation and discipline. I've lost 2 and a half stone and now I'm training for a Half marathon in December. Its all been so worth it. I feel so healthy and strong in every sense. I kept diaries here on boards. One in fitness when I started C25k. Then I moved to ART section when I completed C25k and began training for the 10k womens mini marathon. I had a separate one for food in Food Diaries. If I'm feeling unmotivated or uninspired at any stage I can look back at those diaries, and its enough to keep me going to see how far I've come. The first time I got weighed was really upsetting but I haven't looked back since. I also felt I had to lose 4 stone but actually I reckon just another half stone at this stage will be fine.

Good luck today with your first run back. You'll feel great after! All these little steps you take (like just getting out the door and off the couch) do add up in the end! :)

Definitely.

Back in 2004 I joined a gym and started eating right and I lost 3 1/2 stone in about 6 months (I joined the gym in January and had got rid of the 3 1/2 stone by the summer). I still had more weight to lose but it's definitely possible.

I was pretty strict back then with what I ate but I definitely wasn't on a diet of "rabbit food". My breakfasts often would be a few slices of wheaten bread, a banana and orange juice. Lunch was usually some sort of salad, like scoops of different stuff from the salad counter, not just lettuce or whatever. Dinner would perhaps be grilled chicken, some grilled onions and peppers with pasta and pasta sauce. I cut out the chocolate and junk and I'd have a Frusli cereal bar with my tea.

At the time I didn't know much about exercise and I was supposed to go to the gym 3 times a week but I'd sometimes go more and not have rest days either. I started out brisk walking on the treadmill for the first while and did weights. Eventually I ended up jogging etc. Seeing you already have worked on C25K you will have some level of fitness, so if you enjoyed that, I'd perhaps start out on that again. You might have to go back and repeat a previous week or something, but don't worry about it.

A year is enough time, even if you lose 2 lbs a week at most, it will take you 8 months to lose 4 stone, so that gives you a 4 month buffer to cover those weeks where you stay the same.

So aye, it's definitely achievable. The sooner you start, the sooner you will get there. Start now rather than tomorrow. :)

Thanks Guys - I just went back to do W2D3, cos I was scared to go back to the 3 minute runs immediately after such a long break.
    It was ok, I wasn't huffing or puffing and praying for it to end. Did a slow and steady pace - might even have been too slow as I didn't really feel any strain on the joints and muscles..

I'll hit W3D1 on Tuesday hopefully that will go smoothly!!

Thanks Guys - I just went back to do W2D3, cos I was scared to go back to the 3 minute runs immediately after such a long break.
    It was ok, I wasn't huffing or puffing and praying for it to end. Did a slow and steady pace - might even have been too slow as I didn't really feel any strain on the joints and muscles..

I'll hit W3D1 on Tuesday hopefully that will go smoothly!!

Well done!

No such thing as too slow in my book! Its getting to the finish point that counts!

dolliemix wrote: »
    Well done!

No such thing as too slow in my book! Its getting to the finish point that counts!

True - but usually I'm on the verge of keeling over from the screaming outta the muscles in my legs going "SSSTTTOPPPPP RUNNNNIINGGGG"
    :D

I mean I was singing along to Michael Buble as I was on the treadmill...now I wasn't able to hold any long notes, but I was keeping myself entertained lol

• Advertisement

True - but usually I'm on the verge of keeling over from the screaming outta the muscles in my legs going "SSSTTTOPPPPP RUNNNNIINGGGG"
    :D

I mean I was singing along to Michael Buble as I was on the treadmill...now I wasn't able to hold any long notes, but I was keeping myself entertained lol

Thats a good sign! You should be going at a pace where you can hold a conversation with somebody. I reckon you've found your comfortable pace! You should stick to it for a few weeks. Just getting the distance done is enough at this point. Or so I've been told....and I like that advice! :D

Advertisement