Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

dolliemix wrote: »
    Thats a good sign! You should be going at a pace where you can hold a conversation with somebody. I reckon you've found your comfortable pace! You should stick to it for a few weeks. Just getting the distance done is enough at this point. Or so I've been told....and I like that advice! :D

ooohhh I like that advice too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Did Week 6 Day 2 yesterday, even after two smokes, and chips, scones, and a unhealthy club sambo. Wasn't looking forward to it at all. But I got through it.
    Can't honestly believe I'm back exercising for nearly two months now. C25K allows you to really rack up the sessions.

Still got heaps of fat on the hips and tummy, but I'll keep going and hopefully it'll just fall off.

Heading away for two weeks holiday, so it'll be lots of bad food and beer...

It really makes the world of difference when people tell you that you've lost weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

T-Square wrote: »
    Did Week 6 Day 2 yesterday, even after two smokes, and chips, scones, and a unhealthy club sambo. Wasn't looking forward to it at all. But I got through it.

lol! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Fair play to all sticking with it. Enjoyable reading the various posts. I finally completed C25K last week and am aiming for the Rathfarnham 5K in a couple of weeks. Have decided to keep doing the 30 minute runs three times a week to keep up the general fitness level which I have managed to achieve. Need to decide what i do next. An unexpected side effect is that I've been getting chaffed nipples. Now I'm a fellah and not overweight so it's been a strange new experience. Any advice . . . aside from buying myself a sports bra ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done Garbanzo on completing C25k. The Rathfarnham 5k is supposed to be a nice race for first timers. You'll be well used to running 5k by then so you'll really enjoy it.

Would you consider moving on to this?

It's a nice one to move on to after C25k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Howdy All,

after almost a month off from C25K, I'm going to get my shorts on in a bit and attempt to pick up where I left off....

However, I found out last night that I have to be bridesmaid for a wedding next year (no choice as I'm the only sister my brothers have!!) - I cannot afford to join a gym...will healthy eating and running/walking get me down a few dress sizes?
    I'm overly depressed today at the thought of being the fat pasty bridesmaid standing beside all the tall, thin, toned & tanned Americans this time next year. I know I have to do something but at this point I'm dreading having to give my measurements over email to a dressmaker & the brides family and the fear that when I get to the states the dress won't fit :(

We're talking about a 4 stone loss here in a year - is it possible?

probably the perfect amount of time i'd say

a lb a week over 52 weeks which I think is the reccomended amount to be loosing per week

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

garbanzo wrote: »
    Fair play to all sticking with it. Enjoyable reading the various posts. I finally completed C25K last week and am aiming for the Rathfarnham 5K in a couple of weeks. Have decided to keep doing the 30 minute runs three times a week to keep up the general fitness level which I have managed to achieve. Need to decide what i do next. An unexpected side effect is that I've been getting chaffed nipples. Now I'm a fellah and not overweight so it's been a strange new experience. Any advice . . . aside from buying myself a sports bra ?

bit of body glide or vas maybe

Hi Garbanzo,

well done, and I plan on doing the same, i.e. running for 30 minutes, three times a week to maintain general cardiovascular health.

With regard to chaffed nipples, have you tried tassels? :D
    on a helpful note, have you tried wearing a tighter t shirt?
    Here's a link to some help http://www.time-to-run.com/tips/chafing.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Try plasters or micropore tape on the nips. It's worthwhile doing a search of the A/R/T forum for threads on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Thanks for that link Dollie'. Looks interesting and not too daunting. It is a big commitment though time-wise which I'm not sure i could incorporate into my life. Busy job, young kids etc. etc. BTW I've enjoyed the energy of your posts over the last few months and wish you well on your C25K journey. Thanks to others for the advice re: me "moobs". Might try the vaseline suggestion. T-Square I can't see myself fitting those tassles on prior to heading out ...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Not sure what the weather is like elsewhere, but for those of you based in Dublin, am I the only one planning to out jogging in that later? And even moreso, kind of looking forward to it??

Not sure what the weather is like elsewhere, but for those of you based in Dublin, am I the only one planning to out jogging in that later? And even moreso, kind of looking forward to it??

Are you mad?
    I had a 25 minute walk to the bus this morning and I was battling with the wind and rain...I was unable to walk upright, I had to lean forward a bit to get anywhere - is it even possible to run in that?

This is why I'm glad I have a treadmill in my room - I don't have to brave the elements :D

I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to going out in that weather.
    At least it isn't cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

If it was anything like we had waaay down south last night you have most certainly passed another point of no return! :D (AKA mad git)

Hi Garbanzo,

well done, and I plan on doing the same, i.e. running for 30 minutes, three times a week to maintain general cardiovascular health.

With regard to chaffed nipples, have you tried tassels? :D
    on a helpful note, have you tried wearing a tighter t shirt?
    Here's a link to some help http://www.time-to-run.com/tips/chafing.htm

Enough already with the tassels! Nearly choked on my lunch :D

I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to going out in that weather.
    At least it isn't cold.

oh its cold here - or maybe its just the wind cutting through me. I ventured out at lunchtime, nearly ended up in the liffey!!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

I'm thanking god I ran yesterday and don't have to go out today! Mad yoke!

Ok, I think I've managed to talk myself out of heading out in that. The Dublin weather forecast for tomorrow is better so I'll aim to head out then.

I guess I will leave the running in extreme weather until I become a hardcore runner.

Ok, I think I've managed to talk myself out of heading out in that. The Dublin weather forecast for tomorrow is better so I'll aim to head out then.

I guess I will leave the running in extreme weather until I become a hardcore runner.
    You're not the only one who's putting off a run to tomorrow. I wanted to get out this evening, but the weather is absolutely disgusting here. :(

I also have a near-pathological hatred of running in heavy rain.

You're not the only one who's putting off a run to tomorrow. I wanted to get out this evening, but the weather is absolutely disgusting here. :(

I also have a near-pathological hatred of running in heavy rain.

I've been out in the rain before walking and it's been quite heavy at times and I haven't minded it. However I'm going away on Wednesday for a few days and the last thing I want is a cold so I've decided to skip it. It's quite sad that it's been raining consistently at this intensity since I went to work this morning before 8am. There's been no let up at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Thanks for the Gore-Tex tip Vic20.

I'm just back from my run through the rain, W5 Day1. It went well, the wind isn't cold and the rain was light, not the horrible painful stabbing rain that bores into bare skin :) I have a feeling there will be more days like this. I need to get some high-vis gear for running in the evenings, I don't see many high vis tops in the sports shops.

hatful wrote: »
    Thanks for the Gore-Tex tip Vic20.

I'm just back from my run through the rain, W5 Day1. It went well, the wind isn't cold and the rain was light, not the horrible painful stabbing rain that bores into bare skin :) I have a feeling there will be more days like this. I need to get some high-vis gear for running in the evenings, I don't see many high vis tops in the sports shops.

Look out for the Ronhill Vizion or Brooks Nightlife ranges if you want some hi-vis running-specific gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shinbreaker

hi guys I just found this thread tonight and it's great. I am on W2 Day 1. I did the C25K last year and ended up running the Bupa 10km and a few other races. I got pregnant then and stopped running. I've had my 3rd baby since so it's right back to square 1 for me. I definitely want to get back into the running because it really is a great buzz but also I'll admit I'd like to drop a few pounds.
    The weight didn't quite drop off as easily after number 3 as it did on the other two. I'm not sure if it's my age or the fact I've had 3 babies but it's definitely harder this time. I'm 34!
    Anyway I am running on a treadmill, the last time I ran outside but I live in the country and it's starting to get dark. All advice welcome. I won't be ready for 5km in Rathfarnham but I would like to sign up for a race in Nov/ Dec to have something to aim for. I live in midlands but anything in Dublin would be fine.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 snoozysusie

Decided to pass on my run this morning as it was bucketing down, but swore I'd go out this evening, whatever the weather...and when 6.30pm came around, the torrential rain that had been falling all day had actually stopped. Somebody somewhere wanted me to run today! I'm on w8d1 and decided to go a different route as it is less exposed but of course I'd forgotten about the massive hill about 1km into it, so needless to say I didn't cover as long a distance as I had hoped, but hey, I made it up that hill in one piece!!!! I think I'll be back on my original route on Wednesday...

Anyway I am running on a treadmill, the last time I ran outside but I live in the country and it's starting to get dark. All advice welcome. I won't be ready for 5km in Rathfarnham but I would like to sign up for a race in Nov/ Dec to have something to aim for. I live in midlands but anything in Dublin would be fine.:eek:

Jingle Bells 5k is on in the Phoenix Park on 4 December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shinbreaker

Jingle bells here I come. Thanks for that Rainbow Kirby. I think it's good to have something to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Nice one rainbow - I was thinking myself I needed a goal :)

Speaking of reflective gear - I just threw on one of those normal sleeveless vests that builders etc wear yesterday over my usual gear - it didn't restrict me at all and I barely noticed it. May be a lot cheaper than specific reflective running gear? I know they also do a two strap yoke with one around your waist and one over your shoulder.. If you felt the sleeveless vest was too bulky. I may steal my dad's one from here actually - speaking of which - he got running tights this week. Nooooooooooooo!

Anyone lurking out there following the One Hour Runner (OHR) program? http://mindplunge.com/c25k/one-hour-runner.html

Comments? Opinions? Good, bad or indifferent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lucymoose

Just about to head out for a jog having been inspired by this thread! I was going to cower inside in front of the tv under the 'I've just been to Electric Picnic' excuse but am psyching myself up as I type. I started C25k almost a year ago and have since moved cities, travelled for 4 months and gone through various cycles of laziness. As a result I'm now on W6D3. I've a good feeling that this time I'm going to make it :D When I started out doing the program I thought I was the only one in the country - it's great to have discovered SO many others in the same boat. Keep it up!

• Advertisement

I'm skipping this today and instead heading out on it first thing in the morning. I'm off tomorrow so it shouldn't be a problem.

Advertisement