Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Ok I know I'm repeating this again - but just completed W3D1 and it was grand, had a few "OMG" moments in the middle somewhere, but by the time I got to the second set of 3 minute intervals I was singing along to the mp3 player and didn't realise when I was running and when I was done.

Hope its the same now on Thursday when I do W3D2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Hey everyone,
    Just completed wk1d2 yesterday.:pac:
    Couldn't believe the difference from Day1 when I was thinking the beeps were very far apart to thinking they were coming very quickly last night.
    Even during the walking intervals, I thought the 90seconds was very long...kept checking the app to make sure it was still going!:confused:

As I am overweight and very unfit, I might do week 1 for a couple of weeks, but I'll see how I'm feeling about it next week.

I used to be a member of the local athletic club and played camogie when I was in school and packing it in was always one of my biggest regrets.:mad:

Anyway, here's hoping it continues to go this well :D

kildareash wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    Couldn't believe the difference from Day1 when I was thinking the beeps were very far apart to thinking they were coming very quickly last night.
    Even during the walking intervals, I thought the 90seconds was very long...kept checking the app to make sure it was still going!:confused:

As I am overweight and very unfit, I might do week 1 for a couple of weeks, but I'll see how I'm feeling about it next week.

I used to be a member of the local athletic club and played camogie when I was in school and packing it in was always one of my biggest regrets.:mad:

Stick with it and repeat as much as you need too - everyone here will tell you that, we all have our own pace.
    I started originally in June of this year and took about 3 attempts to do Week 1, then Week 2 took me 3 weeks aswell, managed to get through Week 3 and was heading towards week 4 when life got in the way. Only went back this week and I'll be doing Week 3 Day 2 on Thursday.

Good Luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Week 6, Day 1 Complete

As promised, I went out this morning and completed Week 6, Day 1. It consisted of:

5 min brisk warm-up walk
    5 min jog
    3 min walk
    8 min jog
    3 min walk
    5 min jog
    5 min cool-down walk

I think my fitness is coming on leaps and bounds as I was able to complete it relatively easily. I also think my pace was a little faster this time too. As I was jogging around I kept thinking to myself "I don't want to stop, I just want to keep going". It was a great feeling.

As I'd done the first 20 minute jog last week I felt quite confident that I could complete today's workout and it thankfully turned out to be the case. I really didn't feel the need for the walking breaks but I took them anyway. I was looking ahead and from Week 7 onwards there are no walking breaks in the workouts so I just need to be patient.

It's funny, back when I started this, I found Week 1 kind of ok and not too difficult, but then I moved onto Week 2 with the 90 second jogs and there were very tough. I remember thinking "How can i ever do 3 minutes, I'm struggling to do 90 seconds". Then I moved onto week 3 and was like "Jeez this 3 minute jogs are torture, it's going to be impossible to jog for longer than that".

And to be honest, those feelings remained up until about Week 4 for me. I was still finding the jogging difficult and I think it was Week 4 where the 5 minute jogs first got introduced and I was struggling badly with those, I really was. I knew that Week 5 was not an option for me yet so I repeated Week 4. I felt that I just wasn't fit enough and I'd been messing around not really doing the programme properly and leaving it too long between workouts, and doing so for no reason other than lazyness.

But for some reason, repeating Week 4 seemed to make a huge difference to me. I went out on Week 5, paced myself and completed it well. I'm definitely not jogging very fast, more of a shuffle at times, but it's working and today I could feel myself naturally running a bit faster.

So for those who are struggling on a particular week, don't worry about it. There's no time limit, you can repeat days and weeks as much as you need to. Most people on this thread have repeated at least one week at some point during the programme, myself included.

Stick with it though. I'm amazed that I can now jog for 20 minutes and do so comfortably. It's a complete 180 from where I was when I started when it seemed like a 20 minute jog was like climbing Mount Everest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Thanks for the words of encouragement grandmaster and themerrigan. :)

Even with the 60 second jogs this week, I have been setting myself little visual goals to reach - like a bend in the road or gap in the trees.

So after each run I feel like I've achieved something and it gives me something else to focus on, especially on the later runs when you're beginning to feel the burn!ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Week 6, Day 1 Complete

As promised, I went out this morning and completed Week 6, Day 1.
    <snip>
    Stick with it though. I'm amazed that I can now jog for 20 minutes and do so comfortably. It's a complete 180 from where I was when I started when it seemed like a 20 minute jog was like climbing Mount Everest.

Well done GM! Another great post :)
    Agree with you entirely.

kildareash wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Welcome.

Take you time. I started out just walking for 1 week, then trying 30 second jogs the next week & then started Week 1 proper.
    Move on whenever you feel comfortable & don't forget to stretch!

W3D2 Completed

Was a bit iffy whether I'd do this tonight as I had a splitting headache when I got in - but I relaxed for an hour and then got into my gear.

It wasn't a great run, but wasn't a bad one either - feeling a bit meh now to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shinbreaker

W2 D2 complete and it wasn't too bad.

I'll be honest I was dreading it but I felt great afterwards. It's hard to see how I will be able to run for 20 minutes in a few weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

after wrecking myself with old runners had to give it a rest after w2D3 had swollen ankles and one knee for a week!

Went back to week 2 on monday after week and a half off-- new runners - mighty comfy! found it grand

Did day 2 of week 2 yesterday and found it awful hard- just cant get the breathing under control- legs felt find just couldnt get a breath.....................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 snoozysusie

Just finished w8d3 in that awful sticky rain...humidity didn't help much either-yuck!!!! One week to go... Can't believe it!!!

after wrecking myself with old runners had to give it a rest after w2D3 had swollen ankles and one knee for a week!

Went back to week 2 on monday after week and a half off-- new runners - mighty comfy! found it grand

Did day 2 of week 2 yesterday and found it awful hard- just cant get the breathing under control- legs felt find just couldnt get a breath.....................

Try belly breathing http://www.ehow.com/how_2047712_control-breathing-running.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Week 5 done, the humidity was a killer. I must be the only one praying for a bit of cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

hatful wrote: »
    Week 5 done, the humidity was a killer. I must be the only one praying for a bit of cold weather.

Try get out earlier in the morning or later at night when the air is more fresh, makes things a hell of a lot easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Just did W3D2 again since I've been out of action for a week and didn't feel ready to do week 4.

W2 complete. Is anyone else doing this on a treadmill? Should I be using an incline or is that sometime I could introduce when i am more establised?

W2 complete. Is anyone else doing this on a treadmill? Should I be using an incline or is that sometime I could introduce when i am more establised?

I'm using a treadmill - I just run, I've enough issues without adding an incline into the mix aswell :D

I'm using a treadmill - I just run, I've enough issues without adding an incline into the mix aswell :D

I reckon you are right, the incline can wait. At the moment I go up to my sisters house and run on her treadmill. I am thinking of buying one. I was going to wait until Christmas. Firstly to see do I keep the running up and secondly to see do the treadmills get any cheaper. But I was in Elvery's today and the Horizon Adventure 4 treadmill is €799. It seems like good value. Should I wait?

I reckon you are right, the incline can wait. At the moment I go up to my sisters house and run on her treadmill. I am thinking of buying one. I was going to wait until Christmas. Firstly to see do I keep the running up and secondly to see do the treadmills get any cheaper. But I was in Elvery's today and the Horizon Adventure 4 treadmill is €799. It seems like good value. Should I wait?

If economics are the biggest factor in your decision, there are plenty of people on adverts.ie that are selling treadmills second hand.
    Maybe check there

Week 3 Day 3 Completed

I found the last run torture, strangely it was the first time this week I had issues with the week 3 regime, mind you I usually do the sessions at night after work so I've been on my feet all day, whereas today I had just gotten outta bed so possibly I wasn't as awake as I should have been.

Anywhoo - onto Week 4 on Tuesday :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ommnyom

Decided to repeat w8 again as I've been off for a week and had been struggling. Even so, today was awesome! Managed to keep up a decent pace and even speed up towards the end when I knew I would have the stamina to go to the end. I'm almost tempted to just jump into w9 on Thursday, I really want to reach my goal of 30 minutes. Either way I'm nearly there *eepe* and it's very exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Vic20 going to give the belly breathing a go tomorrow- w3d1. Like the sounds of it also flattening the stomach!!

Anyone any idea why the muscle/tendon (not sure what it is) in the front of my shin is squeaky and sore if i lift my foot up? Im an awful crock- not sore enough not to run but have it on ice and elevated anyway.

Vic20 going to give the belly breathing a go tomorrow- w3d1. Like the sounds of it also flattening the stomach!!

Anyone any idea why the muscle/tendon (not sure what it is) in the front of my shin is squeaky and sore if i lift my foot up? Im an awful crock- not sore enough not to run but have it on ice and elevated anyway.

I've yet to concentrate enough to belly breath all the time but whenever I feel tired I concentrate on my breathing and feel better.

Your shin problem sounds dubious...maybe you should get some expert advice sooner rather than later....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Been out of action for 10 days due to a cold, and the of poor weather making it worse.

Was to start Week 5. Will give it W5D1 a shot today or tomorrow, but might go back and do 1 of 2 of the days from Week 4 again

basquille wrote: »
    Been out of action for 10 days due to a cold, and the of poor weather making it worse.

Was to start Week 5. Will give it W5D1 a shot today or tomorrow, but might go back and do 1 of 2 of the days from Week 4 again

You are catching me up a bit too quickly for my liking you fecker :D

I'm going to continue with Week 6 from tomorrow I think, been away for the last few days so I haven't been running but have been doing a lot of walking so I guess it's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

i've been lazy the last few weeks, was on w8 bu havent been out constantly through the week in a while, feel really bad, and am missing it loads, looking to buy a treadmill for those winter morning, perferr running in the morning, looking at this tread has given me the kick to just go and buy one..........thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

wooo- Im delighted, just managed to do week 5 day 3- a 20 minute run!

When i started I thought i wasnt going to be able to manage even 5 mins but when i got going I just kept pushing myself a bit further and then got to the point where I thought I may as well finish!

I think I said here before but I do a weird thing to help me get through it of counting the steps- just gives me something to focus on and drive me on.

I was just thinking today how at the start 90 step runs were impossible and today I ran 3560 steps- slowly but I got there- chuffed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fair play Thumpette.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Hi All,

As I was saying I just completed w5d3 today. I was just looking at the week 6 runs and I see that they seem to pretty much go backwards (breaking the runs up with walking sections etc)

Im just a bit confused as to why I would do this when I can now manage a complete run? Im half tempted to skip to week 7 and the 25 min runs- but I suppose there is logic im missing in week 6? Am I missing something?

Thanks!:o

• Advertisement

Didnt get out on this myself tonight. Will most likely head out tomorrow instead.

Advertisement