Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Completed W4D1 yesterday. Finally..!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Completed W4D1 yesterday. Finally..!

Well Done - I'm about to do it tonight (well if I can get off the couch!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭Basq

basquille wrote: »
    Been out of action for 10 days due to a cold, and the of poor weather making it worse.

Was to start Week 5. Will give it W5D1 a shot today or tomorrow, but might go back and do 1 of 2 of the days from Week 4 again
    Went out this evening.. and decided to do the W5D1 to see how I got on.

Wasn't too bad actually. Was feeling a little drained after the second of the 4 five-minute runs, but I got a second wind and found the last 2 runs not too bad at all.

Here's hoping the rain stays off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shinbreaker

Thumpette wrote: »
    Hi All,

As I was saying I just completed w5d3 today. I was just looking at the week 6 runs and I see that they seem to pretty much go backwards (breaking the runs up with walking sections etc)

Im just a bit confused as to why I would do this when I can now manage a complete run? Im half tempted to skip to week 7 and the 25 min runs- but I suppose there is logic im missing in week 6? Am I missing something?

Thanks!:o

Well done on completing W5. I thought in W5 and W6 the runs were still broken up with walks and it wasn't until W7 that you ran without a break. I'm only on W3 myself so I could be wrong. I'm taking a few days off due to a cold but reading the tread makes we want to get back on the treadmill.:D

Well I'm proud of meself tonight :D Week4 Day1 Completed.

Started to get a stitch in the last 2 mins of the second 5 minute run and I started shouting at myself to work through it - I say the neighbours think I'm daft or abusing someone in here lol!!

Off for a well deserved shower now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Well done on completing W5. I thought in W5 and W6 the runs were still broken up with walks and it wasn't until W7 that you ran without a break. I'm only on W3 myself so I could be wrong. I'm taking a few days off due to a cold but reading the tread makes we want to get back on the treadmill.:D

I think different programmes are different. I follow the coolrunning one

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Wahoo, I just started this morning and completed W1D1, felt great after it.

One thing, I am doing it in the gym and was wondering about speed on the thread mill .I was at 6.5 for the walking and start at 7.5 for the running bit increasing it by.1 every time getting up to 8 on the last run. Is this ok.

I aim to keep walk at 6.5 and run at 8 from now on. Didn't want to push myself too much first day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Week 6, Day 2 Complete

So I'm just back from completing Week 6, Day 2 of Couch to 5K and it went well but at the same time it was a bit "meh". It's been just over a week since I was last out on C25K and while I was able to complete the workout today without any issues, I didn't feel the same sense of elation that I normally feel when I'm out for a jog. I'm not sure why, I guess it was just one of those days.

Anyway today's workout consisted of:

5 min brisk warm-up walk
    10 min jog
    3 min walk
    10 min jog
    5 min cool-down walk

I was able to complete it without issue which I guess is good seeing I've had a bit of a break. It's nice to think that I might be close to the point where I could ahead away on holiday somewhere for a week or so and not exercise and still be able to go straight back into it without much of a ramp-up.

Saturday I'm heading out to finish Week 6 and it is a 25 min jog with no walking breaks and the rest of the programme is just solid jogging now with no breaks which is kind of what I've been waiting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

' just solid jogging now with no breaks which is kind of what I've been waiting for.'

Weirdly, I think I may be better suited to sticking at running with breaks! I dunno why.. Just the 20 minute run was pretty awful for me.. Hmm..

I'm still plodding along - repeating w6d2 for the third time tomorrow, and then heading out for 25 min on Sunday - dreading it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Got W4D2 completed today. Yippee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Jean wrote: »
    ' just solid jogging now with no breaks which is kind of what I've been waiting for.'

Weirdly, I think I may be better suited to sticking at running with breaks! I dunno why.. Just the 20 minute run was pretty awful for me.. Hmm..

I'm still plodding along - repeating w6d2 for the third time tomorrow, and then heading out for 25 min on Sunday - dreading it!

I'd say instead of repeating the weeks, try and slow down.

It can be very hard when starting out to keep it _really_ slow go just above walking pace if needs be but try.

even if the person walking in front of you is going quicker, let the ego take a hit ;)

Ntlbell - I'm actually repeating days because of my lifestyle - there hasn't been a day I haven't completed straight out bar my first attempt at w6d2 (due to.. Er.. Stomach issues!)- I'd just rather repeat easier days during the week, and then do harder runs at the weekend when I've energy and time so I don't get disheartened! Thanks for the advice though - it is good advice, and one I'm following religiously! Highly recommended!

Completed W5D2 this evening.. this was:

5 minute warmup
    8 minute jog
    5 minute walk
    8 minute jog
    5 minute cooldown

Found my second run easier than the first for the most part (my muscles were probably more warmed up for the second run), bar the last 90 seconds. Think I'm averaging a mile in 8 minutes (as I'm running round a racecourse which is a mile around, and got practically a lap done in the 8 minute jog), is that a decent pace?

Am dreading W5D3 (the 20 minute run.. no breaks) on Sunday. Wish me luck kids!

Week 4 Day 2 completed.
    That being the 3 & 5 minute runs.

I got in bother on the first five minute run, which kinda scared me a bit seeing as I went alright on Day 1.I have the same pain in my muscles tonight that I had when starting out on the programme - someone please tell me thats a good sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 snoozysusie

Finished c25k earlier...w9d3 done and dusted! Actually ran for longer than 30 mins as I was determined to actually cover 5km. I'd mapped a 5km route, did a warm up walk round the block and off I went running. Arrived back 38 mins later and then did the cool down. So I'm not breaking any land speed records but I'm delighted that I actually managed the whole 5km. I think I'll keep at this distance for a while, see if I speed up a bit and then maybe think about progressing to longer distances. I'm so glad I started this programme, it's one of the best things I've ever done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Completed W5D2 this evening.. this was:

5 minute warmup
    8 minute jog
    5 minute walk
    8 minute jog
    5 minute cooldown

Found my second run easier than the first for the most part (my muscles were probably more warmed up for the second run), bar the last 90 seconds. Think I'm averaging a mile in 8 minutes (as I'm running round a racecourse which is a mile around, and got practically a lap done in the 8 minute jog), is that a decent pace?

Am dreading W5D3 (the 20 minute run.. no breaks) on Sunday. Wish me luck kids!

I think an 8 min. mile is a great pace! Good luck on Sunday, you're nearly there!

Finished c25k earlier...w9d3 done and dusted! Actually ran for longer than 30 mins as I was determined to actually cover 5km. I'd mapped a 5km route, did a warm up walk round the block and off I went running. Arrived back 38 mins later and then did the cool down. So I'm not breaking any land speed records but I'm delighted that I actually managed the whole 5km. I think I'll keep at this distance for a while, see if I speed up a bit and then maybe think about progressing to longer distances. I'm so glad I started this programme, it's one of the best things I've ever done!!!

Congratulations!
    Check this one out http://mindplunge.com/c25k/one-hour-runner.html

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

well done snoozysusie. having only started myself this week I am looking forward myself to finishing it though it will be 9/10 weeks away yet!!

W6D3, the first 25 min run.

I actually found it ok! Paced myself correctly by measuring the 2.25miles on Google maps :) It was actually great jogging by the half way spot and yer wan telling me I'm half way - felt good knowing I was on track:)

My effing stomach played up again though, and I had to stop at 24 min for about 10/15 seconds to prevent.. *cough* well, it would NOT have been attractive. Hence I only got about 2.18miles

So, what I'm gonna do is I'm gonna say that was a practice run for W6D3, and get a packet of Arret or something - it's ridiculous that my lungs and legs are finally able to get me through, but my stomach is fking up :(

I find having the lady in my ear telling me every 5 minutes is a MASSIVE help. That way, it's not 25 minutes - it's only 5 x 5minutes, and sure 5 minutes is a breeze ;)

2.5 months ago, I couldn't jog a minute without pain. Now I'm (technically, though not fully proven just yet!) able to jog for 2.25miles. What an amazing difference! Amazing program!!

Also, basquille - 8 minute mile is awesome. That's about 6km in 30 minutes (if my maths are right), which is (as this aims for 5k in 30 min) above average!

• Advertisement

W6D3, the first 25 min run.
    <snip>
    My effing stomach played up again though, and I had to stop at 24 min for about 10/15 seconds to prevent.. *cough* well, it would NOT have been attractive. Hence I only got about 2.18miles
    <snip>
    2.5 months ago, I couldn't jog a minute without pain. Now I'm (technically, though not fully proven just yet!) able to jog for 2.25miles. What an amazing difference! Amazing program!!

Google "Runner's Trots"

Well done on getting this far. You're nearly there...just another five minutes to go :) and yes, I agree completely, it is a fantastic program.

vic20 wrote: »
    I think an 8 min. mile is a great pace! Good luck on Sunday, you're nearly there!
    Also, basquille - 8 minute mile is awesome. That's about 6km in 30 minutes (if my maths are right), which is (as this aims for 5k in 30 min) above average!
    Cheers guys.

Absolutely lashing rain today so glad today is my rest day.

Am dreading tomorrow as the 8 minute jogs yesterday were only tolerable as I was looking forward to the 5 minute breaks. 2 and a half of those same jogs without a break just seems daunting!

But I'll pace myself and we'll see how it goes!

Cheers guys.

Absolutely lashing rain today so glad today is my rest day.

Am dreading tomorrow as the 8 minute jogs yesterday were only tolerable as I was looking forward to the 5 minute breaks. 2 and a half of those same jogs without a break just seems daunting!

But I'll pace myself and we'll see how it goes!

Start off slow & then slow down! Have fun :D

Stupid runner's trots - thanks for that vic. Looking through things that can cause it.. Think it's dairy. :( ok, no more dairy the meal before running!

Basq - you'll be surprised at how much you'll be able to do. Psychologically, because you're going out to run 20 min, rather than 5 or 8, you won't get massively tired until about 16/17 min. That's what I found anyways - pace pace pace pace yourself!

Stupid runner's trots - thanks for that vic. Looking through things that can cause it.. Think it's dairy. :( ok, no more dairy the meal before running!

Basq - you'll be surprised at how much you'll be able to do. Psychologically, because you're going out to run 20 min, rather than 5 or 8, you won't get massively tired until about 16/17 min. That's what I found anyways - pace pace pace pace yourself!

If it's the weekend, I go out first thing in the morning before eating. The only thing I'll have consumed is a few mouthfuls of water.

During the week, it's usually about 4 or 4.30pm when I head out. I'll have my lunch about 12 or 12.30pm and I won't eat anything else until dinner in the evenings.

I didn't get out for a jog this morning. I didn't get to sleep until about 5.30am and even then I only slept for an hour or so, so I skipped the jog. I'm planning to head out tomorrow morning first thing and finish Week 6. I want to get my shopping done as well and get back to my apartment for 9.30am. The Great North run is on TV and it features Haile Gebreselassie, probably the world's best long distance runner and current world record holder for the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Hi Jean, suffer from runners trots myself :mad: its something that you will work out what aggrivates it. I find not eating min 2hrs before hand is the key, and if running in the morning, not having spicey food the night before. If you plan accordingly you'll be fine, and it won't play on your mind which is just as bad.

There are plenty of threads on the ART forum which might be of help to you.

Week 6, Day 3 Complete

So that is Week 6 complete. I was due to head out yesterday morning but barely got any sleep on Friday night so I was wrecked. The weather was bad this morning so I put on a cap and rain jacket but I was almost too warm by the end of it. Also the wind nearly blew my cap off.

Todays workout consisted of:

5 min warm-up walk
    25 min jog
    5 min cool-down walk

I think my pace is quite slow, I used my Garmin watch and I think my pace is about 14.5 min/mile which is quite slow. But I will just have to remember what my long distance runner friend said. He said to forget about speed, it's more important to just get the time on my feet.

The jog went ok today, I was able to complete it easy enough without stopping, no stitches either. The distance I did was about 2.09 miles.

So a day or two's rest and then onto Week 7. From now on there are no more walking breaks which I'm kind of looking forward to. I felt like they were holding me back this last few workouts when I just wanted to get the distance, time and speed done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ommnyom

w8d3 done, I can't wait for week nine! Managed to cover almost 4k (3.9 something) in that time, so if I get into the 4.5+k next week I'll be very happy. Then onwards to 5k in 30 min and the OHR.

I took a different route this time, which include some footpath and hill running. So far I've been on grass or at the beach. I actually loved the footpath, even though I know it's probably not the best in terms of impact. The hill, oh my.. up the first time was alright, but coming back home was a nightmare. It felt terrible, but now that it's over though I feel great. It's funny what putting your body through will do for your mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Well done ommnyom! Great achievement.

I did week 6 day 1 yesterday- found it quite easy after my 20 minute week 5 day 3 run.

I really think this programme is excellent- for anyone thinking of starting go for it!

• Advertisement

ommnyom wrote: »
    w8d3 done, I can't wait for week nine! Managed to cover almost 4k (3.9 something) in that time, so if I get into the 4.5+k next week I'll be very happy. Then onwards to 5k in 30 min and the OHR.

I took a different route this time, which include some footpath and hill running. So far I've been on grass or at the beach. I actually loved the footpath, even though I know it's probably not the best in terms of impact. The hill, oh my.. up the first time was alright, but coming back home was a nightmare. It felt terrible, but now that it's over though I feel great. It's funny what putting your body through will do for your mood.

So you've got a beach near you? Lucky you! http://home.sprynet.com/~holtrun/sandrun.htm

I went out for a 30 min. run yesterday and did a hill section twice. If someone had told me 4 months ago that I would do such a thing I would have laughed in their face :)

I'm doing the OHR program too.

Advertisement