Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Week 5 Day 2 completed.

I got on surprisingly well. The thought of the 8min runs was really putting me off but they were grand.

20 min run next though...eek!

I'm signing up now for the jingle bells run. Hope to see you all there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Jean wrote: »
    Mofo stomach.

Repeated W6D2 a couple of times to make myself feel better after a disastrous attempt at W7D1 where I'd to stop about 4 times with hideous heartburn. I didn't post about it because I was really disheartened and in tears every time I'd to stop - urg, ya know those proper sobbing, really desperate tears - ya'd swear I'd mangled a leg and would never run again like! Christ!
    Was just gonna repeat again today, but felt good and headed out for a 25 minute.
    Got to 23 minutes before stomach issues (yes, this is gonna be my new euphemism from now on) - 15 second break, and finished the 25 minutes - 2.18 miles again.
    I keep swaying between - "sure isn't it great you're running at all, exercise is exercise, no one says you have to run the whole time without a break" and "I WANNA FINISH C25K."
    Nothing I do seems to help the stomach issues - I think because I've always had a dodge stomach with many and varied problems!
    Ah, I guess I'll just keep chipping away, seeing what I can do..

In relation to JB5K after C25K (hee hee!) - I think it's a great idea, but I'm gonna hold off judgement until I can see if I can sort my stomach issues - Unless, can anyone tell me, is it alright to take walking breaks in the middle of these 5k runs?

There are times you should ignore what your body is telling you and there are times you should listen to it. It's very easy to let your mind convince you to stop or to not even start at all.

I think it's ok for you to take a break if you need to. Everyone is different. I felt like taking a few walking breaks today but mostly just because I didn't have tons of energy and my legs felt tired. But I pushed on anyway as I know now that I can do 25 minutes solid, so there's no reason for me to start back tracking now.

Perhaps a quick visit to the doctor is in order to ask about your stomach issues? I've been lucky so far in that I haven't had any problems myself. The polite way for me to say it is sometimes I have a "dodgy stomach". Some foods disagree with me and I end up begging for forgiveness later on.

I don't know how soon before jogging that you are eating, but I don't eat anything for at least 3 hours beforehand. For example today I had my lunch from 12 - 12.30pm and I went for my jog about 4.30pm. I ate nothing after lunch and in fact the only thing I consumed was water.

I prefer running in the morning on an empty stomach. However I don't do so during the week as to be honest, after my jog I like to sit and relax and enjoy the feeling. The fact that I have to go home and shower and go to work afterwards just completely ruins the enjoyment for me so I save the early morning workouts for the weekend or days that I am off.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Did W3D2 this evening.
    Normally I run in a wood nearby but the shorter evenings meant that it was too dark by the time I got out this evening. I ran on the road for the first time and found it a little easier, maybe the flatter ground helped. I found the second 3 min run easier tonight - struggled a lot with it the last time.

I've been using the Chubby Jones podcast and realised that she has tacked an extra 90 sec run onto the end of the Wk3 program, looking ahead to W4 it might be a good idea to do a bit extra this week.:eek:

It's a great podcast by the way, much better music than most of the other ones I've heard, you can get it here...http://chubbyjones.libsyn.com/category/podcasts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 snoozysusie

It's well worth entering a race that's on around or shortly after the time you finish Couch to 5k, it's an extra little motivator to get it done when you've got that date marked on your calendar.

Totally agree with Rainbow Kirby on this one. I finished c25k just over a week ago and did the Rathfarnham 5k yesterday...it was a brilliant experience and having all those people around me made me really push myself! And the sense of achievement when I crossed the finishing line was great...I never thought I'd ever hear myself say this but I got such a buzz from running!!!! Long may it last:)

I've signed up for the Jingle Bell run in December too, so I'll have to root out that old Santa hat from the attic...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Week 5 Day 2 completed.

I got on surprisingly well. The thought of the 8min runs was really putting me off but they were grand.

20 min run next though...eek!

I'm signing up now for the jingle bells run. Hope to see you all there. :)

Well done! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Finally, I have completed the C25K programme! Only took about twice as long as the actual program is supposed to... :rolleyes: But it's done! Just back from a 30 min run that I managed to stretch to 33 mins :D Checked google earth and it was 4.5km, so not quite at the 5km mark yet, but comfortable with jogging for 30 minutes anyway. I'm happy with that!
    So another one to add to the list of people who never thought they would make it when they started out but stuck it out and even.... started to enjoy running!
    Next goal- keep jogging, improve the speed, make it to 5km and enter a 5km race sometime in the not too distant future.
    Thanks to everyone on here who has shared their C25K experiences, I wouldn't have kept it up otherwise! :)

jw297 wrote: »
    Finally, I have completed the C25K programme! Only took about twice as long as the actual program is supposed to... :rolleyes: But it's done! Just back from a 30 min run that I managed to stretch to 33 mins :D Checked google earth and it was 4.5km, so not quite at the 5km mark yet, but comfortable with jogging for 30 minutes anyway. I'm happy with that!
    So another one to add to the list of people who never thought they would make it when they started out but stuck it out and even.... started to enjoy running!
    Next goal- keep jogging, improve the speed, make it to 5km and enter a 5km race sometime in the not too distant future.
    Thanks to everyone on here who has shared their C25K experiences, I wouldn't have kept it up otherwise! :)

Jingle Bells 5K for you too so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Jingle Bells 5K for you too so.

Sadly I'll be out of the country then, otherwise I would definitely have been up for the challenge! Best of luck to you with it, sounds like you're well on your way to getting c25k finished too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

was supposed to do a repeat of Week 4 tonight, but had the most horrendous day at work so just wanna eat my weight in icecream instead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

was supposed to do a repeat of Week 4 tonight, but had the most horrendous day at work so just wanna eat my weight in icecream instead :(

I find cookie dough is good for drowning my sorrows. :D

• Advertisement

I find cookie dough is good for drowning my sorrows. :D

I didn't have that in the house though - I have Ben & Jerrys in the freezer

Week 8, Day 1 Complete

So I've started Week 8 today. I've taken two days rest after finishing Week 7 to give my knees a bit of an extra rest.

Todays workout consisted of:

5 min warm-up jog
    28 min jog
    5 min cool-down jog

Today's jog seemed quite a bit tougher than the last day, even though I was going at a slightly slower pace and that was even before I did the extra 3 minutes. I completed the workout anyway which is the main thing, and my total distance covered was just over 3.4K in 28 minutes. That 5K race I've signed up for is starting to feel daunting! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭offroadannie

well done grandmaster, i'm on week 7 so just behind you

started week 7 last weekend but due to a sore throat myself and a sick baba i haven't got out since, hopefully tomorrow again - i had been running in a field behind my house up until week 6 so couldn't believe how far i could actually run when it came to week 7 and i got out on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

well done grandmaster, i'm on week 7 so just behind you

started week 7 last weekend but due to a sore throat myself and a sick baba i haven't got out since, hopefully tomorrow again - i had been running in a field behind my house up until week 6 so couldn't believe how far i could actually run when it came to week 7 and i got out on the road

I did this back in feb-april, i think in week 7 if felt like a "real" runner. :D

I was tempted to repeat last nights jog tonight as I was so annoyed with my effort yesterday. I also got a slightly weird feeling in my chest too, like a fluttering or something moving after a few minutes but it only lasted a few seconds and went away but it was a bit disconcerting. I think that distracted me after that. I felt fine but it was hanging on my mind.

I'm going out tomorrow morning first thing to lay the smackdown on Week 8 Day 2.

Week 8, Day 2 Complete

Today's workout was much better and I feel very, very good now after it I have to admit. I don't know why but the last day felt like a very hard slog and I really was just going through the motions and just cranking out the jog to get it done. It felt tougher even before I got to the extra 3 minutes which I thought was a bit strange as I was getting used to the time.

Anyway today's workout was much better. I'm not sure if it's because it's first thing in the morning or what, but I seem to enjoy the jogs much better at this time of day. Perhaps after work I'm feeling a bit tired or stressed or something, which is quite likely as I get very stressed at my job at times.

Today's workout was:

5 min warm-up walk
    28 minutes jogging
    5 min cool-down walk

It went quite well today and I was able to complete a tiny bit more distance today in the same amount of time, compared to the last day. Still got a bit of a funny feeling in my chest around the 9 minute mark but it went away after a few seconds and I was grand. Although I'm going to make an appointment to see my doctor as I'm registered for this 5K race in December so it would be good to go talk to him and hopefully make sure I'm up to the challenge. I haven't been to the doctor before starting to exercise which I probably should have done. At least according to all the literature I read about someone beginning to exercise.

Not much else to report. I'm feeling really, really good after that run. It wasn't the all over glow at the time when I was out pounding the grass, that I sometimes get, but it was miles easier than the last day. And I feel really good now too. I'm very tempted to go out for Day 3 tomorrow, but will see how it goes. My gear is in the wash but if it's dry by tomorrow morning then... :)

One other thing, I've downloaded the Bridge to 10K app for my iPhone. I plan to start that programme once I complete Couch to 5K.

Right I did a repeat of one of the Week 4 days today, I struggled on the first half, but something clicked on the 2.5 minute walk in the middle and I was fine after that.
    Think I might do another day or two of the week four sessions before I move onto Week Five, just although it was better and I didn't struggle as much on the second half it wasn't easy either.

I have found that it is easier to run when I'm not stressed from work, but unfortunately my life schedule doesn't allow for morning runs between the full time job and 3 nights of lectures a week!!
    However, I have also found that having Micheal Buble as my running partner makes me sing along and I stop thinking about the timings/work/crappy ex boyfriends/financial issues etc etc etc.

Oh and GM - well done on being almost finished!!

EDIT: Actually has anyone ever experience tightness in their back after the session?
    Just about to get into the shower and did a bit of an "arms over the head stretch/yawn" and it felt all tight...

Week 8, Day 3 Complete

I simply couldn't resist.

I woke up this morning feeling quite well rested and immediately I thought to myself "I want to go for a jog". I know today is my rest day in theory because I went yesterday but I really felt like going today, so I did.

The jog went very well today and I was feeling brilliant towards the end and I still am now. The first 5-10 minutes are the trickiest for me, it seems to take me a few minutes to get my speed and breathing right or something, but once I do, I'm sorted.

I really, really enjoyed it today. I increased the speed for the last 3 minutes but kind of wish I had done so sooner as by the time the 28 minutes were up, I still could have continued at that pace for another while.

So that is Week 8 finished.

Week 8, Day 3 Complete

I simply couldn't resist.

I woke up this morning feeling quite well rested and immediately I thought to myself "I want to go for a jog". I know today is my rest day in theory because I went yesterday but I really felt like going today, so I did.

The jog went very well today and I was feeling brilliant towards the end and I still am now. The first 5-10 minutes are the trickiest for me, it seems to take me a few minutes to get my speed and breathing right or something, but once I do, I'm sorted.

I really, really enjoyed it today. I increased the speed for the last 3 minutes but kind of wish I had done so sooner as by the time the 28 minutes were up, I still could have continued at that pace for another while.

So that is Week 8 finished.

Another addict :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

My schedule has changed so I'm finding it hard to find the time. Back to week 5 next Saturday I think, I'll try to go out before then. My couch to 5k must be the longest in 5k history! Just out of interest, what time of day does everyone go out at? :o

• Advertisement

hatful wrote: »
    My schedule has changed so I'm finding it hard to find the time. Back to week 5 next Saturday I think, I'll try to go out before then. My couch to 5k must be the longest in 5k history! Just out of interest, what time of day does everyone go out at? :o

I prefer first thing in the morning, but I only do that at weekends. So at the weekends I try to get out between 8am and 9am. During the week, it's usually between 4.30 and 5.30pm.

For me though, the mornings are much more enjoyable.

Dawn (or shortly after).

between work & college I only really can do a Wednesday or Friday night or mid morning on a Saturday or Sunday.

my c25k is taking for ages too, I'm on the cusp of week 4/5 at the minute!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,886 ✭✭✭✭Basq

basquille wrote: »
    Week 6, Day 1 Complete!

Consisted of:

- Jog 5 minutes
    - Walk 3 minutes
    - Jog 8 minutes
    - Walk 3 minutes
    - Jog 5 minutes

Ever since doing the 20 minute run on Week 5, Day 3 last Sunday.. my shins have been slightly sore at points - not terribly sore but irritating at times. And when I completed my first run (5 minute) yesterday, I could feel them becoming slightly sore. I stuck with it and kept running and was fine as I progressed. But they were quite sore when I woke up this morning. Not too bad now. Could it be a minor case of shin splints?

Might wait til Monday for Week 6, Day 2 so I don't irritate them further.
    Haven't been out since this (last Saturday week).... my shins have been quite tender since.

I think I aggravated them further on W6D1 (after the 20 minute run on W5D3) and I don't want to do any serious damage in continuing.

Need to find somewhere in Sligo to get a gait analysis done.. no-one in the area as far as I know, but there is a Physio Clinic near me so might give them a ring tomorrow.

Feeling a bit disappointed, but I know (in the back of my mind) that I'm making the right decision.

Haven't been out since this (last Saturday week).... my shins have been quite tender since.

I think I aggravated them further on W6D1 (after the 20 minute run on W5D3) and I don't want to do any serious damage in continuing.

Need to find somewhere in Sligo to get a gait analysis done.. no-one in the area as far as I know, but there is a Physio Clinic near me so might give them a ring tomorrow.

Feeling a bit disappointed, but I know (in the back of my mind) that I'm making the right decision.

You can get gait analysis done for free at a technical running shop. I got mine done in Amphibian King in Bray, although I know they aren't really suitable for you location wise.

It's a f*****r when you get injured alright. I picked up a bit of a knee injury shortly after starting C25K myself and I was pretty annoyed with myself as I could feel it coming on and just ignored it. Anyway I was only on the shelf for about a week and a half to two weeks at most so it wasn't that long, but it sure felt like it.

No running shops around Sligo unfortunately.

My sister got it done in that place in Bray.. as she heard so highly about them on Boards, but I haven't heard many recommendations around Connacht, or the Sligo area particularly

Am a bit pissed off I haven't went out in a week and a half.. and I'm really feeling the urge to get back out there.

Might give that Physio place a call tomorrow.. there's bound to be somewhere I can go. Am determined to get out before the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

No running shops around Sligo unfortunately.
    Try Elvery's if you're near. When I was in a few weeks ago the guy said they were meant to be starting up gait analysis soon. Whether I believe something said in a Sligo shop is another story :rolleyes::D

terlywerly wrote: »
    Try Elvery's if you're near. When I was in a few weeks ago the guy said they were meant to be starting up gait analysis soon. Whether I believe something said in a Sligo shop is another story :rolleyes::D
    Yeah, a number of the Elverys stores do it.. but I've heard real mixed opinions about their "expertise" on the subject. I'd rather pay a bit more and go to someone a bit more qualified and knowledgeable on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭woohoo

I used to suffer badly wit shin splints too. I now wear in flight socks running and I haven't suffered since. I also stretch my calves a lot before and straight after my run.

• Advertisement

<snip>
    Am a bit pissed off I haven't went out in a week and a half.. and I'm really feeling the urge to get back out there.

Might give that Physio place a call tomorrow.. there's bound to be somewhere I can go. Am determined to get out before the weekend.

Resist the urge to run! It'll only make things worse.
    I've not suffered from shin splints myself but my wife has...she was off the road for a month. Climbing the walls at the end but she knew not to run as that would only aggravate it. Rest, massage with arnica oil, elevation, ice packs and gentle exercises cured it.

Advertisement