Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

dolliemix wrote: »
    Ha! I won't be ready for a 10k until 7th June - the Day of the Mini Marathon.

The 5k on May 9th sounds good actually. And I'd love to run in the Pheonix Park. My friends birthday is that weekend so I'll just have to make sure that she has nothing planned for that Sunday....I'm supposed to be doing 'easy' 3 mile runs on Sundays anyway in May according to my program...so a 5k would be perfect. I'll let you know as soon as she decides...

Yay!! :D Its going to be my W9D3 so its perfect timing :D Gotta ask work for the extra day off tho, already have from the Mon off for exams so hopefully they'll be ok with it! Not going to enter it yet until I see how I get on for the 20mins on Friday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

Woohoo best of luck! Hope you get some sun! What day are u doing? Starting week 4??

I made it! It was tough today, and it's so warm out, but I'm glad I did it. I've been lazy recently, using college stuff as an excuse not to go out.

So I've finished week 3... I'm terrified of week 4! Today was difficult. I didn't drink enough water before going out. Wasn't able for any extra at all today - barely made it home!

Melia wrote: »
    I made it! It was tough today, and it's so warm out, but I'm glad I did it. I've been lazy recently, using college stuff as an excuse not to go out.

So I've finished week 3... I'm terrified of week 4! Today was difficult. I didn't drink enough water before going out. Wasn't able for any extra at all today - barely made it home!

But you did it and thats the main thing!! :D Want to join us in the Phoenix Park on the 9th?? It'll be a week before you're due to finish but dolliemix did that! Don't worry Week 4 is better than it looks! :D

I'd love to but it's the day before my big exam!

I'd be up for one after that though.

I'd love to but it's the day before my big exam!

I'd be up for one after that though.

Oooh but it'd only be about half an hour! Haha I've an exam too that week, on Wed (12th). :eek: Don't worry girl, will check if there's another one later in the month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Fair play!! Week 4! God!!

I did Day 1 of Week 1 today! I am so unfit!! Missed two of the runs cause my chest hurt!! Do you run or jog?

I really wanted to do and extra half hour walk after but I woke up late and had to get home to shower and have dinner! in work at 5! Boo! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Jwacqui wrote: »

I did Day 1 of Week 1 today! I am so unfit!! Missed two of the runs cause my chest hurt!! Do you run or jog?

I really wanted to do and extra half hour walk after but I woke up late and had to get home to shower and have dinner! in work at 5! Boo! :(

Congrats - fair play on starting!!! You should slowly jog - like a fast walk!!! I am sure you needed the sleep!! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Went for the first run today! Felt great after! Was harder than I thought it would be but I think that's because I'm used to running on a treadmill, not actually ground and moving myself rather than the ground moving! Really hope I stick with it now! Felt great after! I ran/walked so are I couldn't get over it!

I do rebounding and another class twice a week so I think I'll prob just do the running twice a week, and stick in a third one if I can! Whoop!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

Hi gals!1 W7D1 tomor. i downloaded different podcasts cos i find the music in the robert ullrey ones a bit trancey. but i feel guilty doing it cos he got me so far already!! god im a sap!

Braineyneuron, didnt you say you were from cork? do you wanna be in my relay team on 7th june for the marathon? i am afraid i wont get enough people!

What podcasts are you using Newsizedbooty?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

What podcasts are you using Newsizedbooty?

i was using the robert ullrey ones and now i am using a different one. i got it from the very first post of this thread! thanks melia by the way!

couchto5.jpg

K here is the logo for this! Robbed little pic off the internet cos it was so cute!!!

Here is the code to add to your signature if you want to! :) Just delete the asterixs! (I've learned so much about HTML today!!!)

[*URL="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055869229"][*IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r41/catheadnavan/couchto5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I'm gearing myself up to head out for W1D2 now, can't stop yawning!
    The sooner I go, the sooner I'm home. The sooner I go, the sooner I'm home, the sooner I go.. . . .. . . . . ok Im outta here! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Well done to everyone who ran today - lovely day for it! I struggled in the slight heat so don't know how I'll cope in actual nice weather!

Would love to do 9th of May with you guys, but think its bit early for me - don't think I'll be finished till end of May.

I'm deffo gonna do one of the ones that brainyneuron mentioned - maybe the next one after May?

Woohoo well done for getting out there girls-you're flying it! DWG that logo is fab-finish line and all :D Have added it to my signature! Newsizedbooty, yep I'm from Cork but doing the Women's Mini Marathon in Dublin that day unfortunately (walking not jogging!), would totally do it otherwise! BlueIrishAngel I'll check for another 5K race later in May/June, I'm doing the 8K on the 17th July if you'd like to do that one? I'm going to (hopefully!) follow the 8k or 10k Hal Hingdon program after I finish the C25K so hopefully I'll be able to do that race! (Blind optimism!)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Hi all! ive been reading over on the WW thread about this c25k running thing so did a bit of investigating and decided to give it a go this evening.

Have to admit I am defo not as fit as i thought i was but not as unfit as i thought i was if that makes sense:o

Have the Robert Ullery podcast to listen to and i managed to do all of it except the last run as my lungs were about to jump out of my chest and abandon me.:rolleyes:

Hoping i can stick with it now and keep it going as i do often see people out running and think id love to be able to just throw on my runners and go for a run without worrying about heart failure after 5 mins:o

just wondering those who are a few weeks into it now how often are you getting out to do the program? am i right in thinking 3 times a week is enough:confused:

Hi all! ive been reading over on the WW thread about this c25k running thing so did a bit of investigating and decided to give it a go this evening.

Have to admit I am defo not as fit as i thought i was but not as unfit as i thought i was if that makes sense:o

Have the Robert Ullery podcast to listen to and i managed to do all of it except the last run as my lungs were about to jump out of my chest and abandon me.:rolleyes:

Hoping i can stick with it now and keep it going as i do often see people out running and think id love to be able to just throw on my runners and go for a run without worrying about heart failure after 5 mins:o

just wondering those who are a few weeks into it now how often are you getting out to do the program? am i right in thinking 3 times a week is enough:confused:

Congrats hun, thats a fantastic achievement!! :D
    Yep, three times a week is all that you should be doing. With rest days inbetween, or you could go for a walk/cycle/swim on the days you're not jogging.
    Don't worry about not finishing today, it'll get better it really will! I struggled in the first week too but kept at it and now I'm on Week 5 and absolutely loving it! Its a great feeling when you finish each session :) Well done for starting!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

ha with the way my chest was burning earlier i was sure id read it wrong:eek: but ill try stick it out and see how i go three times a week is not that much to ask really is it:rolleyes:

i think ill have to commit to posting my progress on here to keep me motivated to get out and do it again though!!

ha with the way my chest was burning earlier i was sure id read it wrong:eek: but ill try stick it out and see how i go three times a week is not that much to ask really is it:rolleyes:

i think ill have to commit to posting my progress on here to keep me motivated to get out and do it again though!!

Hehe yep definitely, we'll be keeping an eye on u! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Went well today on W1D2, found the running a bit more manageable than the first day! Had wicked bad shin splint pains for the first ten minutes, something that I suffered from anytime I used to run in the past, so just gonna really focus more on stretching everyday. Next run will be Friday morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mua

Woohoo well done for getting out there girls-you're flying it! DWG that logo is fab-finish line and all :D Have added it to my signature! Newsizedbooty, yep I'm from Cork but doing the Women's Mini Marathon in Dublin that day unfortunately (walking not jogging!), would totally do it otherwise! BlueIrishAngel I'll check for another 5K race later in May/June, I'm doing the 8K on the 17th July if you'd like to do that one? I'm going to (hopefully!) follow the 8k or 10k Hal Hingdon program after I finish the C25K so hopefully I'll be able to do that race! (Blind optimism!)
    Hey there,

Just started reading this thread.. Always good to know there are other c25K people out there.. Have never made it past three minutes before I started this program and am now running 25 minutes straight!! Saying that am on week 7 and finding it hard to get past to week 8. I run very slow but reckon I'll work on speed later....
    The ipod app for c25K is brilliant and if I ever reach the end of the program have just downloaded the 'bridge to 10K' app which is a follow on from the C25K..

Am doing the Great run on 18th April in a jog/walk style.. Have been looking for a 5k race to aim for but have had no luck finding one that suits......until TODAY!!

One in Lucan on the 26th June and although run by an athletic club is says all levels are welcome... So I am going to aim to run that one.. Anyone interested in joining a novice runner??

Love the program and this thread:)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mua

Oops I meant Sunday 23rd June for 5Km race in Lucan..

I think I'm going to do it again tomorrow? Is that bad to not have a rest day! I enjoyed it so much and I'd be running anyway of some sort if I gymed it!

Please can I do it!? ;) :P

(This enthusiasm is either a really good sign of things to come or a really big sign of my lack of a life!!!)

I think I'm going to do it again tomorrow? Is that bad to not have a rest day! I enjoyed it so much and I'd be running anyway of some sort if I gymed it!

(This enthusiasm is either a really good sign of things to come or a really big sign of my lack of a life!!!)

I'd say wait a day between sessions, you don't want to kill yourself either! I know the feeling though, I head out for a walk on the days off and I'm itching just to start running! Maybe go for a walk/cycle/swim instead?

Mua that race sounds good, don't have any jogging races lined up for June so will see how it works out with my rota in work! Hopefully will be able to do it though!

Jwacqui wrote: »

Feeling nervous about week 4! Well done on getting out, I'm delighted. If you feel like you're not ready to run, pause the podcast and take a longer break, or if you want, stop in the middle of your run for a few seconds, but try and get it all done unless you're in pain. I had to do that a few times in the first week or two.

I think part of the reason I found in tough in the first week was because I was flat-out running - it's so much easier if you just jog slowly.
    Went for the first run today! Felt great after! Was harder than I thought it would be but I think that's because I'm used to running on a treadmill, not actually ground and moving myself rather than the ground moving! Really hope I stick with it now! Felt great after! I ran/walked so are I couldn't get over it!

I do rebounding and another class twice a week so I think I'll prob just do the running twice a week, and stick in a third one if I can! Whoop!!! :D

Well done! I love that feeling.

Great, well done for getting out! You're meant to do it three times a week, with at least a day between runs, but lately I've been busy (laziness might also be a factor) so sometimes it's been two days between runs.
    Went well today on W1D2, found the running a bit more manageable than the first day! Had wicked bad shin splint pains for the first ten minutes, something that I suffered from anytime I used to run in the past, so just gonna really focus more on stretching everyday. Next run will be Friday morning!

I had them a few years ago, it was horrible. Could it be something to do with your runners? What sort of stretching routine do you have?

Ordinarily I'd say you should take the rest day, but if you're used to running anyway you might be fine? I don't know, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Well done all!
    Got a bit distracted yesterday evening but did my first evening tonight. Was glad I started, and found the podcasts great. I'm the kind that never changes the music on my ipod so was good to hear some different music and have the timing changes.

Didn't find it _too_ bad as have been struggling trying a bit of jogging on and off the last year or two, but want to do it properly this time and build up to non stop 5k. No matter how long I kept at it before I was always stopping and starting and had a mental block about running non stop!

sillysocks wrote: »
    Well done all!
    Got a bit distracted yesterday evening but did my first evening tonight. Was glad I started, and found the podcasts great. I'm the kind that never changes the music on my ipod so was good to hear some different music and have the timing changes.

Didn't find it _too_ bad as have been struggling trying a bit of jogging on and off the last year or two, but want to do it properly this time and build up to non stop 5k. No matter how long I kept at it before I was always stopping and starting and had a mental block about running non stop!

Woohoo well done! The podcasts are fantastic aren't they?! I didn't have them for the first week cos I didn't know there was any, and I really struggled. I def wouldn't have kept going without the podcast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Yeah they're great - kind of distracting too. Not sure how I'll get on with moving up as the weeks go on but fingers crossed!

Wow brainyneuron - 55 pounds lost, thats fab, well done. If only I could stay motivated enough to even lose half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055874687
    This post from the running forum talks about treatment/runners for shin splints - the toe taping exercise may help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

sillysocks wrote: »
    Well done all!

That is me to a tee!!! Have flirted with it on and off for years but never got past the first few weeks. I wish i was one of these really determined people who could just do it and not see it as a mount everest looming in front of me.

Either way we are doing it now!!! Well i didnt go on my w4 d2 last night but i will do it tonight!!!

Oh and turns out i'm doing the great ireland 10k in the phoenix park next week because one of my friends in work had signed up with her cousin and her cousin has now dropped out. Thats a bit scary isnt it!!

Advertisement