Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Did Week 5 Day 1 again because I left it a week since my last run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭shoegal!

Hi guys! I'm doing the C25k too and have been keeping a log over on the A/R/T forum as I'm entered for a half marathon in April (gulp!). I started Week 4 Day 1 today and found it a bit of a struggle but hopefully it will be better on day 2.

Now that I've found this thread I'm going to keep checking in for inspiration and motivation! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

shoegal! wrote: »
    Hi guys! I'm doing the C25k too and have been keeping a log over on the A/R/T forum as I'm entered for a half marathon in April (gulp!). I started Week 4 Day 1 today and found it a bit of a struggle but hopefully it will be better on day 2.

Now that I've found this thread I'm going to keep checking in for inspiration and motivation! :)

Welcome.

C25K is a good programme, you'll find lots of people on this thread who've completed it and had success with it.

I too was very, very unfit at the start. At the start I was just about completing the jogging sessions and nothing more and needed the full walking intervals to recover. I hit the wall a bit with the 5 minute jogs though and I thought I'd never get past them.

Now though, I'm starting Week 9 and I've registered for my first race (Jingle Bells 5K in December). I still haven't completed 5K during these workouts but I'm going to move onto Bridge to 10K once I complete C25K so that should hopefully get me over the line.

Week 9, Day 1 Complete

I headed out to begin Week 9 this evening. Today's workout consisted of:

5 min brisk warm-up walk
    30 min jog
    5 min cool-down walk

Sunday was the last time I'd been out on Couch to 5K and seeing I had done two days back-to-back, I decided to take two days off to give my knees and joints a rest. I was debating about whether to take a third day's rest but I was curious to see how my fitness was coming along so I headed out this evening after work.

I definitely think I find the workouts easier in the mornings. This evening's workout wasn't too bad. It wasn't as easy as the last two workouts and that was even before the extra two minutes of Week 9 were added on. Having said that it wasn't a super, super tough workout either. It was hard, but not overly so. I felt like I had plenty of energy however my legs felt somewhat tired and heavy. Having said that, I felt fairly good by the time the workout was over and I was walking home.

I used my Garmin watch and it looks like my pace has improved a tiny bit. I covered 3.7K in 30 minutes this evening (I don't count the warm-up or cool-down walks when measuring that) so I'm reasonably pleased. The last day I did 3.4K in 28 minutes so it looks like I added on .3 of a K with two extra minutes which isn't bad. I think that's an improvement for me although I'm still looking at a 40min plus 5K time at the moment :o

However I really think that will improve once I move onto Bridge to 10K as I reckon I will be easily covering 5K within the first or second week.

PS: Here's a picture of the park I run in, plus two rainbow's that greeted me outside my apartment after my workout this evening.

• Advertisement

Week 9, Day 2 Complete

I have completed Week 9, Day 2 of C25K and took a slightly different approach to the workout today. But before I go into that, a quick summary of today's workout:

5 min brisk warm-up walk
    30 min jog
    5 min cool-down walk

So you might be asking me, "grandmaster, what is this new approach you took today?". Well it wasn't anything earth-shattering, I simply jogged at a slower pace. In a way I felt a little like I was going backwards but I was talking to a friend of mine who's a pretty good long distance runner. He told me to slow my pace down and to not go as fast. He said that's the best way to avoid niggles and injuries. Then to perhaps do some fartlek training (silly name I know) and that my 5K pace would improve.

As my knees felt a bit sore after the last day, I decided to heed his advice and definitely slowed my pace today. It was amazing the difference it made to the overall experience. I covered a little less distance today compared to the last day (3.5K today, 3.7K the last day) but I felt so much better at the end of it. He said beginners always make the mistake of going out and running and the next day trying to run the same distance a bit faster. That is exactly what I was doing.

So I slowed my pace down considerably and to be honest I felt like a brisk walker could have passed me by. But my breathing was really, really controlled and easy. I could have kept a conversation going with someone today whereas the last day I would have been struggling to get more than a few words out.

For the last few minutes though, I really put the hammer down. I was able to run faster than I have been yet and I could have kept doing so for a while longer.

I was tempted to keep going past the 30 minutes today and do the full 5K, but I decided to lift off and take it easy. There's still a good 2 months until the Jingle Bells 5K and I should be doing the full 5K distance within a few weeks.

I was also pointed in the direction of this programme on the A/R/T forum: http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Knovice.htm

One thing I heard a guy called Chris Thompson saying that when he runs, he tries to keep his whole body relaxed. Even his face. He says if your forehead starts grimacing and everything, that starts to spread down your neck, to your shoulders, arms etc and that it's better to just try and keep everything relaxed.

The plan for the weekend is to rest tomorrow and finish up Couch to 5K on Sunday morning after the Grand Prix.

Curly Wurly, you better be out of bed to watch it live. I don't want to hear any waffly excuses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

The plan for the weekend is to rest tomorrow and finish up Couch to 5K on Sunday morning after the Grand Prix.

Curly Wurly, you better be out of bed to watch it live. I don't want to hear any waffly excuses!
    Of course I'll be up to watch it, I'm insulted that you would think otherwise :eek::(:D
    Well done on your progress, one run to go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

I never noticed, before I started jogging, how much a cold takes it out of you.

I literally hadn't the energy to walk the 15 minutes to the Dart from work this week. Absolutely mental how much it drains you.

I'm so itchy to get back out there, but I still can't breathe properly and would probably die.. gasping for air like a grounded fish.

*fingers crossed* I'm back to normal tomorrow. Haven't run since Monday. Don't like it :( My body is sore :(

terlywerly wrote: »
    Of course I'll be up to watch it, I'm insulted that you would think otherwise :eek::(:D

Glad to hear it. Don't forget qualifying tomorrow morning, BBC coverage starts at 5am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Glad to hear it. Don't forget qualifying tomorrow morning, BBC coverage starts at 5am.
    Can't guarantee a 5 a.m. start tomorrow... but yes to the 6 a.m. on Sunday :D

• Advertisement

terlywerly wrote: »
    Can't guarantee a 5 a.m. start tomorrow... but yes to the 6 a.m. on Sunday :D

Tut tut.

I'm up. Look at the time!

Just as well you took the easy way out and stayed in bed :P

Qualifying was cancelled due to torrential rain and it's now on tomorrow at 2am, with the race on at the same time as before. So it's either stay up all night, go to bed for 3 hours, or skip qualifying and just watch the race live.

I think it will be option 3 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Having serious issues finding the time to do 3 sessions a week, and leave at least a day between them.
    I'm in college three/four nights a week and in work all day, so the only time I have is Fri/Sat/Sun.
    Came home last night and had every intention of hopping on the treadmill - but by the time I actually got home I was exhausted and couldn't manage it (I did start and had to give up)

I'm currently struggling with the five minute runs, so haven't progressed to Week Five just yet, although I was thinking of doing W5D1 today.

The more experienced of you got any input to this? Will the break of a week do some serious damage to any possible progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Having serious issues finding the time to do 3 sessions a week, and leave at least a day between them.
    I'm in college three/four nights a week and in work all day, so the only time I have is Fri/Sat/Sun.
    Came home last night and had every intention of hopping on the treadmill - but by the time I actually got home I was exhausted and couldn't manage it (I did start and had to give up)

I'm currently struggling with the five minute runs, so haven't progressed to Week Five just yet, although I was thinking of doing W5D1 today.

The more experienced of you got any input to this? Will the break of a week do some serious damage to any possible progress?

Try W5D1 today as you planned. If you're having trouble maybe repeat W4D3 or W5D1 a few times until you're comfortable and then move on.

Suck it & see :)

vic20 wrote: »
    Try W5D1 today as you planned. If you're having trouble maybe repeat W4D3 or W5D1 a few times until you're comfortable and then move on.

Suck it & see :)

yup that was kinda my thinking - but its been a week since I ran.
    Just thinking the breaks will be a hinder to me

Ok Week Five Day One Complete :D

That wasn't half bad, if I say so myself. I didn't struggle on the runs like I previously have, and it was quite a comfortable session.
    There were no niggles or discomfort while jogging so I think the few repeats of Week 4, Day3 did some good to get comfortable with the five minutes.

Must say I'm chuffed that I was able to do that.

Now the question is, do I move onto W5D2 tomorrow evening, or risk losing the momentum by not being able to get out till next weekend...
    :confused:

Ok Week Five Day One Complete :D
    <snip>
    Now the question is, do I move onto W5D2 tomorrow evening, or risk losing the momentum by not being able to get out till next weekend...
    :confused:

Well done! See how you feel tomorrow evening & go for it if you're happy.
    (Even if you don't have the time/energy during the week if you have easy access to a treadmill a few minutes won't do any harm.)

Well done! See how you feel tomorrow evening & go for it if you're happy.
    (Even if you don't have the time/energy during the week if you have easy access to a treadmill a few minutes won't do any harm.)

There is a treadmill in my walk-in.
    Time really is the issue, I leave her at 7am and get home between 10 & 11pm...I'm just fit to fall into bed at that point - it sucks!!

Week 9, Day 3 Complete...

Couch to 5K now complete

So it's finally finished, this morning I completed Week 9, Day 3 of Couch to 5K.

Today's workout consisted of:

5 min brisk warm-up walk
    30 min jog
    5 min cool-down walk

It's been a long time coming and I think in total this is my 3rd attempt at this programme, but it's now complete. I went out this morning after watching the Grand Prix so I'd been awake from about 5.45am. I didn't eat any breakfast or anything so I'd been up for about 3 hours or so before heading out on the workout which is unusual for me at the weekends. I normally roll out of bed, stretch and head straight out. I was a little concerned I'd be running on fumes but it wasn't too bad. I could feel my stomach get a tiny bit sore/uncomfortable but I know it's because I was literally licking the bottom of the tank for fuel.

I slowed my pace again today and covered a little less distance than a few days ago. I didn't have much speed towards the end but I wasn't too worried - I just wanted to get the programme complete.

I initially tried to complete this programme about two years ago but I didn't really do it properly and I got injured within the first week or so. Cue to a few months ago and I try it again and once again I got injured. Although this time it was more to all the walking I was doing at the same time I think. So while that injury set me back, I almost had to hit the reset switch and go back to the start.

However this time I managed to complete it. My legs feel fine, knees a tiny bit sore but more achy than anything. I think/hope I've learned to determine the difference between a regular ache just from exercising and the pain that indicates a potential injury.

So what's next. Well I have the Jingle Bells 5K in about 2 months time so I need to focus on that. While I have completed C25K, I'm still not doing 5K distances. The longest distance I've done is about 3.7K in 30 minutes so it looks like 5K will take me over 50 minutes.

I've been pointed in the direction of this beginners 5K programme http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Knovice.htm

However I wouldn't need to do that from the start. I think I could probably skip the first 3 or 4 weeks of that programme as I'm currently doing about 2.14 miles so I could start on Week 4 of that programme which has me 2.25 miles. If I do that, I will have it complete with 4 weeks to go before the race.

So for all who are starting C25K, stick with it. It's tough at the start but stick with it. If you find a week too hard, just repeat it. There's no time limit for when you have to have it done by. At the start I struggled badly to jog for 90 seconds but here I am, 9 weeks later and I could have chatted the whole way through that 30 minute jog.

Couch to 5K now complete
    <snip>

Well done!

• Advertisement

Week 5 Day 2 Completed

Now that was a shocker and a half...I managed to do the 8 minute runs!!
    The last 90 seconds or so of each wasn't pretty, but I didn't stop and kept going for the whole session.

Seeing as it will be a week before I get a chance to go again, I might repeat this session and then move onto Day 3.....and yes, I am crapping myself over the 20 minute jog!!

EDIT; Oh and well done GM!!

Week 5 Day 2 Completed

Now that was a shocker and a half...I managed to do the 8 minute runs!!
    The last 90 seconds or so of each wasn't pretty, but I didn't stop and kept going for the whole session.

Seeing as it will be a week before I get a chance to go again, I might repeat this session and then move onto Day 3.....and yes, I am crapping myself over the 20 minute jog!!

EDIT; Oh and well done GM!!

Don't panic about the 20 min. run. Take it slow & easy and you'll get there.

Don't panic about the 20 min. run. Take it slow & easy and you'll get there.

Think I just need to be a bit more comfortable with the 8 minute runs first, I was ok till about 6.30/7 minutes in...then my legs started to give up. Can't figure out why its not my heart rate or breathing that is effected the most - I'm quite heavy but the only issue I have when jogging is that my feet give up before the rest of me.

Even now I'm sat on the floor and there is no pain or tiredness or tightness in my legs (or anywhere else) but when I'm in motion during the jogs my legs just scream "stop" at me all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Well done grandmaster! The feeling must be fantastic. I started again today week 4, I've changed my schedule to Sun, Tues, Thurs. I think that will work out best. Well I hope so this whole programme has been a game of snakes and ladders for me. I just had to go back to it the last couple of days I've been stuck in traffic watching runners who are like gazelles leaping past.

hatful wrote: »
    Well done grandmaster! The feeling must be fantastic. I started again today week 4, I've changed my schedule to Sun, Tues, Thurs. I think that will work out best. Well I hope so this whole programme has been a game of snakes and ladders for me. I just had to go back to it the last couple of days I've been stuck in traffic watching runners who are like gazelles leaping past.

It can take a while alright. Just stick with it though. I had a few false starts myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Couch to 5K now complete

Woohoo! Well done GM, another C25K graduate, I'm so proud :):):):D Onwards and upwards, hopefully I'll see you at the Jingle Bells 5K (though I'll prob have to start the C25K all over again cos I injured my foot a while back!)

*Wonders where Melia went to* :(

Woohoo! Well done GM, another C25K graduate, I'm so proud :):):):D Onwards and upwards, hopefully I'll see you at the Jingle Bells 5K (though I'll prob have to start the C25K all over again cos I injured my foot a while back!)

*Wonders where Melia went to* :(

Sounds like there's a few of us doing that race. I will most likely be starting at the very back. You know, just to give the elite athletes a fair chance of winning. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Did week 6 day 1 in the gym today. Didn't find it hard but that could be because I was an hyper buzz since I was in the gym.

Weather's cool enough to warrant putting on the running tights that I got in Lidl a while back. Kids are freaked out, the wife had a fit of the giggles & I have that fecking "Men in Tights" song stuck in my head again :D

In spite of all that I was warm & comfortable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Just finished W4D3, found it the toughest run yet but managed to finish it. I didn't really feel like going out tonight but have missed a few days lately so forced myself to get out, maybe that was part of the reason I struggled.
    Think I might repeat all or part of W4 again.

Just wondering what people's opinion is on repeating weeks.
    If I am able to struggle through and finish a week should I go on to the next one or would I be better to repeat the week until I get reasonably comfortable with it?

Advertisement