Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

kagni wrote: »
    Just finished W4D3, found it the toughest run yet but managed to finish it. I didn't really feel like going out tonight but have missed a few days lately so forced myself to get out, maybe that was part of the reason I struggled.
    Think I might repeat all or part of W4 again.

Just wondering what people's opinion is on repeating weeks.
    If I am able to struggle through and finish a week should I go on to the next one or would I be better to repeat the week until I get reasonably comfortable with it?

It varies from person to person. I think it was week 4 that I struggled with too, the 5 minute jogs were just destroying me. I decided to repeat Week 4 as I knew there was no chance I could do week 5 at that stage. So I started with Day 1 of Week 4 again, then Day 2 but after Day 2 I felt like I'd broken through some barrier or something. I knew I could do the 8 minute jogs so I didn't repeat Week 4 Day 3 and so I moved onto Week 5 then and didn't look back.

Also, your pace may be a factor. I guess it seems obvious now but when I start out too hard I've trouble maintaining that pace. I find it's better to start out slow and as the time continues and you get towards the end, if you have extra speed and energy, then use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

kagni wrote: »
    Just wondering what people's opinion is on repeating weeks.
    If I am able to struggle through and finish a week should I go on to the next one or would I be better to repeat the week until I get reasonably comfortable with it?

I found week 4 one of the hardest weeks. Like yourself I struggled through it and I actually felt really demotivated because I thought I was doing well.

I repeated it and felt much more comfortable moving onto week 5.

Did week 6 day 2 last night in the gym last night. I did a spinning class before hand and I felt so pumped up that I had to do it. Taking a break now until Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Thanks GM and SB, good to know I'm not the only one who has found Week 4 a struggle.
    I think I'll repeat at least one day from Week 4 over the weekend and see how I get on before moving on to Week 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Almighty Fitness Gods...it's been 6 days since my last session from C25K...I thought my deviation from your 3 days a week requirement might evoke your almighty wrath....but screw you I just did the 20 min run :P

EDIT: Actually does anyone know why after the 20 min jog you go back to 5 & 8 minute jogs??

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Almighty Fitness Gods...it's been 6 days since my last session from C25K...I thought my deviation from your 3 days a week requirement might evoke your almighty wrath....but screw you I just did the 20 min run :P

Well done!
    Nice milestone to pass.

I went out this evening to repeat W4D1, but when I got there I decided to give W5D1 a go.
    I had begun to hate Week4, even the music on the podcast was starting to annoy me.
    I actually enjoyed the run this evening, I surprised myself by getting through it without struggling too much.
    I think I'm going to plough on and only repeat any days that I can't actually finish.

• Advertisement

Ok so I know I was only out yesterday, but I really can only run at the weekends, so needs must.

Anyway, completed W6D1 and decided that as I was back to intervals of 5 & 8 mins I would increase the speed on the treadmill again...so I managed to cover 3.1km on this session - nowhere near the 5k mark, so this is something I need to work on.

Anyway, will be next Sat before I get a chance to run again.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Urg. Working 50+ hour weeks at the minute, so not a spare bit of energy to do c25k during the week. I'm just walking the half hour home and crashing into bed.

However, I've a good night sleep behind me so I'm gonna head out today! Tbh, I'm off the programme. My main focus now is keeping my fitness up so when work calms down, I can come straight back in to the later weeks. So gonna go for the 25 min run and keep chipping away to get the 2.25 miles (end of week 6?) so I'll be ready to go into week 7 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Smur

Hi all, just looking for some advice from you lovely people! I started the c25k this week and today was my third day of week one. So far I have only been able to get through the warm up walk and 2 jogs before I collapse into a wheezing mess and I can't continue. I would never have considered myself that unfit before, my job has me on my feet all day and I walk quite a bit. I'm not overweight either so I really can't understand why I can't do this :confused:

Smur wrote: »
    Hi all, just looking for some advice from you lovely people! I started the c25k this week and today was my third day of week one. So far I have only been able to get through the warm up walk and 2 jogs before I collapse into a wheezing mess and I can't continue. I would never have considered myself that unfit before, my job has me on my feet all day and I walk quite a bit. I'm not overweight either so I really can't understand why I can't do this :confused:

Are you trying to complete them at a great speed?

Nope, I would say at the moment my jogging speed is just past a fast walk. I wonder are some people not made for running :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Smur wrote: »
    Nope, I would say at the moment my jogging speed is just past a fast walk. I wonder are some people not made for running :rolleyes:

Try and slow down further, I jog on the treadmill at the same speed I walk at..at the minute its 3.5mph - very slow, but I can work on the speed & intensity later

If you read back through all the posts you'll see that this is a common piece of advice from people at all stages of the programme

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Hopefully I'll be posting on here in a few months time saying that I've finished the programme!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Has anybody completed the 5km run ???? if so whats a decent time ???

im doing 5km in 32 mins ????

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Time is relative. All depends on age, sex, fitness, height, weight, yada, yada, yada

As for myself it's as follows: 47, as often as possible, not very fit but getting better, 6'2", 19 stone, and I'm happy with the 5K in a shade under 41mins. that I did yesterday.
    Having said all that, YMMV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I did 5K yesterday in 47 minutes, although I was deliberately doing it very slowly as I just wanted to get the distance done. Earlier in the week I did 4K in 32 minutes so I should have some speed in reserve. I hope I do anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Thats a good time!

My first 5k race was around that. I'd love to do it in under 30.

The world record for men is 12.37! Unbelievable!
    Women - its 14.11

Sonia O Sullivan won the Silver Medal for Ireland in the 5000m /5k in 2000 Sydney Olympics at 14.41.02

She also won Gold for Ireland 5000m at the Gothenburg World Championships in 1995 14.46.47

Eamon Coughlan won a gold for Ireland at this event at Helsinki in 1983 (13.28.53)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

im male 30 / 20 stone / 6"2

i know its not about time , last year i couldnt run 1 min on the threadmill now im doing 30-35 at 9.5km an hour pace

i was just curious as to peoples times , just to let me know how good or bad im doing thats all

Got W6D3 done today. I'm going to miss the breaks !

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Betsysquared

Hi all,

Just wanted to join discussion, I started on Sunday gone and did W1D2 last night.
    I have managed it now both nights and am well impressed with myself!
    Hope that by xmas I will be running for 30mins or near enough to it
    Had a baby 10 weeks ago and determined to lose weight and get fit
    go walking a few times each week and am doing 2 gym classes each week too,(did 1/2 hour spin class on monday. thought I was going to die!, off to medicine ball tonight whatever horrors that will bring I don't know!)

So I will post here to keep myself motivated and pick up tips from you guys :D

So it will be day 3 tomorrow so do I start W2 on sat or sunday?(same day i did day 1)

thanks guys!

Hi all,

So it will be day 3 tomorrow so do I start W2 on sat or sunday?(same day i did day 1)

thanks guys!

As long as you leave atleast a day break between runs you can start when you want.

Well done on starting it. It's a great program and I wish you the best of luck :)

• Advertisement

Thanks SB!

Hope I can keep it up

W7D1 complete. Yipppe!

W1 completed!:D

Right so after another break of 6 days I went back to do day two of week six.

I managed it, but I wasn't entirely happy about it - I think I'm still overtired though, Its been a stressful week and I've been under a lot of pressure.

I'm gonna do day three tomorrow - I'm not finding that I need a break of a day over the last few weeks - I know that doesn't follow the programme, but I'm in college four nights a week at the minute so I don't have an option other than stopping completely.

W2D1 completed

I found it tough enough, even though its only one more minute running but
    I feel that I would manage week 1 no problem so I suppose its working!

rest day tomorrow

After two and a half weeks of trying and failing I finally got through W1D1 this morning. Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

glad i found this thread i just completed W1 starting W2 tomorrow actually cant wait! Betsysquared im almost the exact same as u had a baby girl just over 10 weeks ago 12 of aug and now looking to get fit and loose baby weight its nice knowing somone else similar to me doing it.

Ok completed, but again wasn't happy...realised this morning why last week was overly emotional and stressful for me, and as a result of that surprise, this run was plagued with back ache and dull pain - but anyway, it's done and I'm looking forward to my shower now.

hi Elsy!

My little boy was born on aug 10th so we are really in the same boat!

Best of luck with it, I have day 2 of week 2 tomorrow but my knees are sore, I am going to get new trainers during the week and just keep going regardless.
    I will do some stretching everyday and see how it goes.

Determined to shift a good bit of weight and I would really love to be able to just "go for a run" so fingers crossed!!
    :D

• Advertisement

Ok so the end is near, no more intervals and the 25 minute runs are do-able.

I realise I'm completing them at a very slow pace so I will have to work on that when I get to the end of the program and I can run for 30 minutes.
    It's still the the same old problem, my heart rate and breathing is fine, but the muscles in my legs can't deal with the duration if I up the pace early in the session. I guess that is something to work on.

Anyway it will be Saturday before I get to do a session again unless I'm up for it after getting in from college some night this week. I've gotten the momentum going now and I'm just not willing to let it drop.

Oh and well done to all the newbies who got started - its a great programme stick with it!

Advertisement