Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

Hi everyone!

Im completely new to this but am planning on starting day one tommorrow! I figured I should post here as it might make me more likely to get going with it!
    I plan to do it Tuedays, Thursdays and Sundays ( I swim Mondays and Wednesdays too).

Im ridiculously unfit (and overweight!) to be honest so this will be a challenge for me, but I think i need a good challenge too. I have never enjoyed walking/running etc. so this programme might give me the motivation i need!

I have been reading through pages of this forum but simply can't read every post as its so big at this stage! I was wondering if anybody has been able to add their own music to those podcasts, I know one says you can add music to the background. I think that would be really ideal for me but Im not very technically minded so wondering how difficult it is to do?!!

Keep up the good work everybody :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Hi everyone!

Im completely new to this but am planning on starting day one tommorrow! I figured I should post here as it might make me more likely to get going with it!
    I plan to do it Tuedays, Thursdays and Sundays ( I swim Mondays and Wednesdays too).

Im ridiculously unfit (and overweight!) to be honest so this will be a challenge for me, but I think i need a good challenge too. I have never enjoyed walking/running etc. so this programme might give me the motivation i need!

I have been reading through pages of this forum but simply can't read every post as its so big at this stage! I was wondering if anybody has been able to add their own music to those podcasts, I know one says you can add music to the background. I think that would be really ideal for me but Im not very technically minded so wondering how difficult it is to do?!!

Keep up the good work everybody :)

Welcome :)

If you are willing to fork out a whopping great 3 euro, you can buy an app from iTunes that lets you use your own music and it just gives you the audio prompts over the music so you know when to run or walk :) I used the C25K app by Alex Stankovic and found it good. Although I think it's just for the iPhone and probably the iPod.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

If you are willing to fork out a whopping great 3 euro, you can buy an app from iTunes that lets you use your own music and it just gives you the audio prompts over the music so you know when to run or walk :) I used the C25K app by Alex Stankovic and found it good. Although I think it's just for the iPhone and probably the iPod.

Whereas if you have an android phone there are free programs like C25k or a pro version for about 2 Euro both by Guy Hoffman that bleep when you need to change from walking to running etc - you can play whatever you want in the background then.

Oh thanks for info but unfortunately ive only got a NANO! thanks anyways!

Whereas if you have an android phone there are free programs like C25k or a pro version for about 2 Euro both by Guy Hoffman that bleep when you need to change from walking to running etc - you can play whatever you want in the background then.

They sound great, again unfortunately just a crappy nokia for me lol I have been looking at HTC phones for a while though so maybe I will invest!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 starre

Hi everyone

I just started this today. I expect to find it a little more difficult than most, due to some health issues. I managed to get up to ten minutes of a jog, following my own plan, earlier in the year but then couldn't sustain it.

I'm feeling a little stronger now, so I thought getting to the 5K would be a great goal.

I struggled with it and didn't quite make it to the end! I think I'll just keep at each week until I can do the required amount for three sessions. So it might take me three weeks to do one week. :)

Any tips most welcome, will read through the thread too.

They sound great, again unfortunately just a crappy nokia for me lol I have been looking at HTC phones for a while though so maybe I will invest!

I have a HTC desire and I love it - I have the c25k pro on it and my own music - well worth the money for the phone!!

Oh thanks for info but unfortunately ive only got a NANO! thanks anyways!

It might possibly work with the nano, I'm not sure, I've never tried it with anything other than the iPhone or iPod touch. Anyway it's free to research it online if you have the time.

starre wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I just started this today. I expect to find it a little more difficult than most, due to some health issues. I managed to get up to ten minutes of a jog, following my own plan, earlier in the year but then couldn't sustain it.

I'm feeling a little stronger now, so I thought getting to the 5K would be a great goal.

I struggled with it and didn't quite make it to the end! I think I'll just keep at each week until I can do the required amount for three sessions. So it might take me three weeks to do one week. :)

Any tips most welcome, will read through the thread too.

Welcome to the thread :)

Work at your own pace - I've been doing the programme since June/July and I'm only after starting Week 7 today. Repeat where you need too and take your time.

Good Luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

In Cyprus on holidays but havent forgotten about c25k. Got week 7 day 2 done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 starre

Thanks!

It might possibly work with the nano, I'm not sure, I've never tried it with anything other than the iPhone or iPod touch. Anyway it's free to research it online if you have the time.

Actually, just checked, it only works with the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. Can't imagine anyone bringing an iPad on a jog with them somehow though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

W1D1 Completed!

I've waited ages to say that!!!!!

Been keeping a FD and attending Curves since July and lost a bit of weight so far.
    The only goal I've set myself so far is wanting to take part in the Manchester 10K run, as my local GAA club starts training for this in January I wanted to get a head start and try running for the first time sine I left school 16 years ago!
    It was harder than I thought, but, cant wait to get out there again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

merengueca wrote: »
    W1D1 Completed!
    I was just about to tell you about this thread on your diary!! Well done on starting! :D

terlywerly wrote: »
    I was just about to tell you about this thread on your diary!! Well done on starting! :D

TW are you the official recruiter??

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

TW are you the official recruiter??

Boards as a whole has to take the blame I think, I'd never heard of it till I started my FD.
    I'm gonna blame you all equally when my legs are too achy to wear my snazzy new heels;)

merengueca wrote: »
    Boards as a whole has to take the blame I think, I'd never heard of it till I started my FD.
    I'm gonna blame you all equally when my legs are too achy to wear my snazzy new heels;)

There are guys on this thread (like me) so please be careful when saying words like legs :P ;)

There are guys on this thread (like me) so please be careful when saying words like legs :P ;)

LMAO

is that a buzz word for you GM?
    Mention music or female body parts and you come running with your cape blowing in the wind :D

LMAO

is that a buzz word for you GM?
    Mention music or female body parts and you come running with your cape blowing in the wind :D

Aye, it's true.

Aye, it's true.

aawwww so cute
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Betsysquared

W2D2 completed

Now, I actually found it fine tonight except my knees are in bits:(
    Will have 2 rest days now and see what happens, will do lots of stretching
    and fingers crossed I will manage it Thursday.

I ran saturday morning and found it hard but was back to running in the evening tonight and found the 90sec grand and there are only 6 of them so I feel my fitness increasing, its just my body if failing me!

Also it is cooler in the evenings so maybe this helps too
    Hoping that as I lose weight, there will be less pressure on the joint

I may also try doing it on a treadmill if it continues to hurt

I may also try doing it on a treadmill if it continues to hurt

Are you running on tarmac? I found that really tough on my shins. I changed to running on grass and found it helped a lot.

I've moved on from the grass and am now using a threadmil, not half as sore but at the same time my shins were sore at the very beginning whereas now my body is getting used to the exercise.

Hi Sb

Yes, running on the roads near where I live. Today I can barely walk upstairs the pain and stiffness is so bad, its the inside of both knees, even sore to touch, they feel like they are bruised. So my plan is to take a rest day tomorrow and head to the gym Thurs and try it on machines there instead.

I am so disappointed as I am really enjoying it and usually exercise for me is a complete chore.

But hopefully like you, my knees will begin to understand that this exercise is here to stay!

As the title says another day down.
    got outta bed early this morning to get in a session, must say it set me up for the day a bit.

Wasn't too bad a run, I'm having issues with my back though at the minute when I run - just get the damn legs in check and something else has to cause trouble!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hi guys

To those of you having problems with your knees don't panic too much. Remember your body and especially leg joints are finding it harder than you mentally to get used to this new regime. I completed c25 k in may and like you felt I needed transplants at times! Make sure you have decent runners. Get your gait done as has been advised on this thread before. I was 2 and a half stone heavier when I started c25k and I knew it was a bit of a vicious circle. Carrying the extra weight was not helping the knee pain but I had to to keep up the running ( and watch my diet) in order to lose weight. Rest days are very important but try not to go longer than three days without a run. If you think the pain is serious go to a physio. Unfortunately I think joint pain is part of the course when you start out running. The Tarmac and especially footpaths are very hard on your joints.

8 months on now I've realised I'm going to feel twinges but I'm definitely not feeling anything like I did when I started out and I'm running over three or four miles three times a week now.

Hope your injuries improve and that they're not serious ones! :)

Hi Sb

Yes, running on the roads near where I live. Today I can barely walk upstairs the pain and stiffness is so bad, its the inside of both knees, even sore to touch, they feel like they are bruised. So my plan is to take a rest day tomorrow and head to the gym Thurs and try it on machines there instead.

I am so disappointed as I am really enjoying it and usually exercise for me is a complete chore.

But hopefully like you, my knees will begin to understand that this exercise is here to stay!

Have you tried putting ice on your knee's? That helped me out a bit.

And just to re-enforce what dolliemix said, get yourself some decent runners if you haven't already.

Try to stick to grass if you can. I'm still quite heavy and have had a few issues with my knees over the years. And as others have said, you need to exercise to lose weight (mostly) but then your knees take a pounding at the same time so it's a bit of a catch 22 situation.

1. Make sure you take a rest day after exercising, especially at the start.

2. Stretch before and after running, every time, no exceptions. Stretching is boring and tedious but it only takes 5-10 minutes, costs nothing and if it can prevent an injury, it would be stupid not to do it.

3. Don't overdo it. At the start, it can be very easy to overdo the exercise, especially when you start feeling good. That's how I picked up a knee injury. I could feel something was wrong and ignored it and I ended up having to go to the physio and was laid up for about 2 weeks or so. Not a huge amount of time but very frustrating too when you feel you are making progress.

4. Listen to your body, honestly. You will start to feel a little pain in your joints and after a while you will learn to know what is just an ache from exercising that you can ignore and what's the start of an injury and something you should rest.

Good luck.

Thanks everybody for your help and reassurance.

I went to Elverys today and did the gait analysis (badly as I am fairly stiff with the aul knees):rolleyes:

So I am now sporting a brand new pair of Asics which were recommended as I turn in on both feet, they actually make the knees less sore just wearing them around the house so fingers crossed!

Another rest day tomorrow and hopefully I might manage W2D3 on Thursday, will just play it by ear:cool:

Thanks everybody for your help and reassurance.

I went to Elverys today and did the gait analysis (badly as I am fairly stiff with the aul knees):rolleyes:

So I am now sporting a brand new pair of Asics which were recommended as I turn in on both feet, they actually make the knees less sore just wearing them around the house so fingers crossed!

Another rest day tomorrow and hopefully I might manage W2D3 on Thursday, will just play it by ear:cool:

You sound a bit like me. I think it's called over pronation, where the feel kind of roll inwards. I got a pair of Asics GT 2150's and they seem to be good.

• Advertisement

Snap!! GT2150 right here!

You have great taste Grandmaster:)

Advertisement