Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

Hi everyone !

So ive completed day one but the biggest problem I had was my breathing. I keep breathing through my mouth (more like panting to be honest!!) and it has left me with an awful sore throat today!
    Just wondering if anyone else has experience from this and if so what did you do to concur it!? .... Im laughing to myself because I know the answer is simple in theory breathe through your nose!! But Im just finding it so hard when I am already putting myself under pressure with the running!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Right so this was a great session, I had no pain or aching in my legs, being totally honest I say I could have kept running for the full 30 mins, rather than the designated 25 in this session.

I feel good about this now.

I do have to work on my posture though as my back is getting achy when I run and I can feel the muscles moving when I'm jogging.

I'm quite enjoying this now that Im running without any pain in my legs.
    I upped the pace for the last five minutes of the 28 minute run and it wasn't half bad.

I think I'll increase the speed of the treadmill by a little bit for the next session see how I get on, I'm mindful that if I start off the 28 minute run at a faster speed I'll be unable to last for the whole duration.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Right so this was a great session, I had no pain or aching in my legs, being totally honest I say I could have kept running for the full 30 mins, rather than the designated 25 in this session.

I feel good about this now.

I do have to work on my posture though as my back is getting achy when I run and I can feel the muscles moving when I'm jogging.

Work on your core. The plank is very good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQmRINu4jU

vic20 wrote: »
    Work on your core. The plank is very good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQmRINu4jU

hhmmmm I don't think I can do that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Week 7 Completed. Took a lot out of me today, i reckon thats because of the heat though.

Another one bites the dust.

Total workout was 38 minutes, with the 28 minute run sandwiched between the two walks :)

Again, no issue with the run today - quite enjoyed it. I did up the pace a lot in the last ten minutes so I managed to cover 3.5k in that time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Stench and Morrigan .....Good for you guys. Great progress :)

dolliemix wrote: »
    Stench and Morrigan .....Good for you guys. Great progress :)

Thanks dolliemix :D

SB - well done, we're nearly at the end now.

What the hell am I gonna do when I don't have my phone beeping at me to do "stuff" lol

Thanks dolliemix :D

SB - well done, we're nearly at the end now.

What the hell am I gonna do when I don't have my phone beeping at me to do "stuff" lol

Whatever you decide to do make sure you keep going! Don't get lazy once you've finished the plan. Try the One Hour Runner program.

I ran for an hour yesterday for the first time. Woke up this morning without any undue aches or pains so went out for a 30 min. run & some hill work.
    I've come a hell of a long way in 4 months :)
    Also ran my first 5K race last Sat. Time needs improvement:o

• Advertisement

Whatever you decide to do make sure you keep going! Don't get lazy once you've finished the plan. Try the One Hour Runner program.

I ran for an hour yesterday for the first time. Woke up this morning without any undue aches or pains so went out for a 30 min. run & some hill work.
    I've come a hell of a long way in 4 months :)
    Also ran my first 5K race last Sat. Time needs improvement:o

There is NO WAY I am stopping now.
    I just got out the measuring tape, cos the damn scales are pants - lost another 3/4 inch off the spare tyre and an inch off each thigh :D:D:D:D:D

Vic20 Tried that - nearly broke my face lol can't hold up my own weight

Right so, upped the pace on this one from the start - just slightly though and I felt the difference! In the final 10 minutes of the run I gradually increased the speed of the treadmill and absolutely loved it :D

The training log tells me I've run 14.78 miles this week and burned 2,032 calories :D

Ok this morning was a disaster with regards a "good" session.
    Despite the stretching before hand, my back muscles were getting achey again and I just pushed through to get the session done, but it was by no means graceful or fluid.

It has been confirmed by the onsite gym instructor that I have tight hamstring muscles from spending all day at a desk and then in a lecture hall most evenings during the week, so I'm not so much couch to 5K, but desk chair/lecture hall to 5K :D
    So these are the muscles I need to be focusing on when stretching. (Now I'm hoping I transcribed that paragraph correctly from what he was talking about this morning)

Anyway, I've only two more sessions in C25K so i'll be finished this week.
    The plan is to continue to do the 30 minute runs during the week and work on longer runs at the weekends (well for now, this could change!!)

:D

Second last run completed this morning :D

I did week 8 day 1 today after almost a week doing nothing but had to stop a few times. I'm going to re-do it.

Aw that's horrible. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

I've started the programme in a bid to boost my metabolim and shift me from my weight plateau. Week 2 Day 2 completed and going well so far. I did a 5k a few weeks back in 32 mins, but walked the uphill parts, so hopefully in 7 more weeks I will be able to complete that circuit without stopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck with it :) You should be well able for it by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

I finished Wk6 today, I'm glad to be finished the the interval stuff, no more walking just running from now on :)
    Because I didn't have to listen to my MP3 player for cues on when to start or stop I took off the earphones for most of the run. I enjoyed it more without the headphones, I might just run using a watch on Wk7 and see how it goes.
    I haven't checked the distance covered on any of my sessions yet, but I reckon I'll use something like this http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ next week to see how I'm progressing, I've a feeling I'm a way off covering 5K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I did couch to 5k a while back and got to late week 3/early week 4 (I can't remember exactly but it's when you have to run for 5 mins straight). I stopped because my knee that I had injured after a bike fall started bothering me quite a bit. I want to get back on the programme though, but maybe cut it down to twice a week so my knee has more rest time. Would this make much difference to the effectiveness or speed of advancement through the programme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Hi everyone!
    I completed W1D2 today so thought Id pop in to say hello!
    Found it quite tough now to be honest because my fitness level is terrible!
    Ill check back in with further progress and we'll see how I get on!!

:)

Right thats it - C25K all done and dusted :D

Thinking back to when I started I never though I'd make it this far and be capable of running for 30 minutes.

Right thats it - C25K all done and dusted :D

Thinking back to when I started I never though I'd make it this far and be capable of running for 30 minutes.

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Thanks Vic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Starting the programme again today after getting to week 4 during the summer.

Going to go out at my lunch time today and run along the Liffey.

I am going to jump straight into week 2 as I think I can.

Main short term goals are to lose inches and drop weight

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Betsysquared

Right!

I am back!

Started on week 2 day 1 again after my little infammatory incident with my knees

I have my new trainers and today I ran on grass, so far so good!

I am now also doing a couch to 1 mile swimming thing as i would really like to attempt a triathlon next year

So its onwards and upwards from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

Well done Morrigan - great achievement!

Kilns, I started on week 2 as well and did day 3 yesterday. I found it the toughest so far. it was very cold and I struggled with the breathing a bit. it'll be the weekend before I get to start week 3, but am looking forward to it!

Betsysquared, good luck! It's great to have something to aim for, and you are giving yourself plenty of time to work towards the triathlon :)

• Advertisement

Did week 8 day 1 again. With little stoppage.

Advertisement