Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

first time poster to this, did W2D2 today and found it a bit tough, think it was the wind i was running against that didn't help matters.delighted that i finished it, roll on sunday to finish week 2 - can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Ok, I must say I'm feeling a tad bit de-motivated now cos I don't have my phone bleeping at me.
    Had two assignments due this week, so had no time to run, got on the treadmill there and had to stop running after 25 minutes my legs just didn't want to cooperate.

Anyone any ideas as to the next step? I don't have time during the week to do anything more than 40 minute sessions cos I'm in college mon - thurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Congrats on finishing TM, if I was in your position I would try to up my amount of running time to 40 mins over the next few weeks and then (if you are not doing it already) to cover the 5K in less than 30 mins.

I went out to do W7D2 this morning and failed miserably.
    It was a 25 min run and I had already done two of these previously (W6D3 & W7D1) but 5 mins in, I was feeling under pressure. I had to stop after 10 mins and walked for a bit then I ran for another 4-5 mins but couldn't go any further and went home :(.
    I'm disappointed because I have managed to complete all the other runs on C25K without having to stop. Will give it another go on Monday.

kagni wrote: »
    Congrats on finishing TM, if I was in your position I would try to up my amount of running time to 40 mins over the next few weeks and then (if you are not doing it already) to cover the 5K in less than 30 mins.

I went out to do W7D2 this morning and failed miserably.
    It was a 25 min run and I had already done two of these previously (W6D3 & W7D1) but 5 mins in, I was feeling under pressure. I had to stop after 10 mins and walked for a bit then I ran for another 4-5 mins but couldn't go any further and went home :(.
    I'm disappointed because I have managed to complete all the other runs on C25K without having to stop. Will give it another go on Monday.

Thanks Kagni I'm not managing the 5k in that 30 mins yet, getting about 3.7K done.

I had those useless sessions over the programme too - you'd do it one day and the next session the body would just go "screw you, I'm going home"

I mean least week I had no problems running solidly for 30 mins, couldn't do it today gave up after 25, just couldn't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'm stuck on Week four day 1; can't start it as I've just started physio today for shin splints. "No impact" for a couple of months (osteo fluid / inflamed tibia membrane so I'm told), so that's me on hold. I'll need to switch it over to non-impact circuit training, swimming and static bike exercising until I get the all clear from the physio. Not even allowed to do burpees! (I hate/love them, but I'm disappointed now :eek: )

I found that week 3 didn't quite give me that same satisfaction feeling as weeks one and two did. Like I wasn't being challenged enough if that makes sense?

For clarification, the shin splints are apparently an on-going thing that I thought had gone away and during weeks one/two didn't rear their ugly head. But the problem started to manifest itself again during week three so off I go to nip it in the bud and have it resolved decisively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Betsysquared

Well I have finished W2 as of yesterday and also finished week 1 of my couch to 1 mile swim. So glad I did both yesterday as I went out last night and am useless today:rolleyes:

I was farting about last night and found some pre-set runs on the treadmill.
    I think I might give one of them a go today and see how I get on :D

This could be funny!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Melissa89

I'm just about to start this. Week 1, Day 1 (scared:eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Melissa89 wrote: »

Welcome Melissa! Im a newbie myself, just did WK2D1 today! Its great though and to be honest I dont think anyone could be any less fit than me so if I can do it anyone can!!!

Yay WK2D1 complete!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Melissa89 wrote: »

Best of luck with it :)

• Advertisement

Week 2 finished and am delighted,took one of the couch to 5k podcasts this time instead of a stopwatch, huge difference, felt the time go quicker anyways. Roll on week 3 now tomorrow hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Woohoo, just finished week one. I tried using the podcasts in the begining but didn't warm to to music so now I just use my ipod. This week went something like this:
    day one: Pearl Jam-no code
    day two: Hole-celebrity skin
    day three: Bon Jovi-crossroads

Nothing beats running to music you love!

Right having a bad week it would seem, can't seem to run for the whole 30 mins like I was when I was following the program. It's nuts I tell ya!!

Still I spent the designated 40 mins on the treadmill, even though I only ran for about 20-25 of them - so I guess its better than nothing!!

Woohoo, just finished week one. I tried using the podcasts in the begining but didn't warm to to music so now I just use my ipod. This week went something like this:
    day one: Pearl Jam-no code
    day two: Hole-celebrity skin
    day three: Bon Jovi-crossroads

Nothing beats running to music you love!

I totally agree. I downloaded the podcast that has no music, just the guy cutting in and out to tell you to jog/walk. You can add your own music to that. I know its really easy to do with garageband if you have a mac comp? Otherwise maybe you can still download garageband to a pc? and if not Im sure theres another type of music editor that can be used on a pc. Garageband is defo easy to use tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

I repeated W7D2 tonight after failing to run for more than 10 mins on Saturday :o
    Tonight went great. I've just measured the distance I covered on Gmaps Pedometer and I did 4.4Km in 26 mins which I am delighted (and very surprised) about.
    The first 10 mins were tough but the last 10-12 were reasonably comfortable so I upped the pace which meant I covered an extra 0.5K compared to my last 25 min run.
    I totally agree. I downloaded the podcast that has no music, just the guy cutting in and out to tell you to jog/walk. You can add your own music to that. I know its really easy to do with garageband if you have a mac comp? Otherwise maybe you can still download garageband to a pc? and if not Im sure theres another type of music editor that can be used on a pc. Garageband is defo easy to use tho :)
    Audacity can be used to do what you are talking about, I downloaded and it's fairly straightforward to use.

W3D1 completed last night, felt great doing it and I really think this programme is excellent!

Some dodgy music on the runningintoshape podcast again but hey its free so shouldn't complain.

Have been on treadmill for last 2 runs, weather too awful to go out in, hope I don't totally die when I get back outside:eek:

W3D1 completed here as well, was hard going, then again the wind will play havoc with any run,especially going up a hill, back out again tomorrow for W3D2, hopefully not so breezy:D

backspacer wrote: »
    W3D1 completed here as well, was hard going, then again the wind will play havoc with any run,especially going up a hill, back out again tomorrow for W3D2, hopefully not so breezy:D

No day off for you Backspacer?????:eek::eek:

Hardcore!

No day off for you Backspacer?????:eek::eek:

Hardcore!

Ha ha don't know about hardcore,lunatic might be more apt in this weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Week 8 Day 2 completed last night. Need to stop leaving so many days between sessions.

• Advertisement

Week 2 complete today!! woohoo! Going to start week3 sunday, hope it isn't too hard!!!

Week 2 complete today!! woohoo! Going to start week3 sunday, hope it isn't too hard!!!

Excellent! I didn't find week 3 too bad actually ( have day 2 of it tonight)

Keep up the good work!:D

W3D2 completerd, found it hard coming back up the hill for the second half of it (especially 3 minute jog) but survived to tell the tale :D Couple of days rest till Saturday or Sunday now to finish Week 3!!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

Did w3d1 last Saturday and still haven't done day 2!! Hope to do it tomorrow, and really hope I don't die!! Back on track after this, way too long a gap.

I have to say I don't mind the tracks on running into shape, just know if I had to add my own tunes I'd never get round to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

W3d2 done. Found first set tough, got into my stride after that. Sore lungs from breathing that cold air, but feel so healthy!! What a day out there, perfect

Wk3D1 completed today!!!! I found it very tough, the 3minutes were LONG and my breathing was terrible, but I got through it and finished them all and feel great for it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Week 8 finished.

Roll on week 9! eeek!

Week 3 finished, just had a look at week 4 and am thinnking this is starting to look a bit tough :D Still am really getting into it now so roll on week 4!!

Ok,

So I have now completed W4D2, week four is HARD!!!!

But I have to say again that I really think this programme is fantastic.
    I skipped W3D3 as I actually found week 3 easy:cool: and decided to start week 4, well boy it was tough!
    But I finished the two days and last night I even ran faster for my last minute.
    Last night I was nervous for some reason about day 2 and had lost a little confidence I think, however, I completed it and I know for certain that if I was doing this on my own without the programe I would not have completed day2, I would have given up as I found the first 3 minutes difficult and I thought to myself, how am I going to do another 3 plus another 2x5mins.:eek:

But lo and behold, I managed it.
    Now I have one more day on week 4 then on to week 5.
    Hope to do it tomorrow, my calves felt stiff this morning even though I stretched

• Advertisement

Fair play Betsy,

Starting week 4 this evening, looks a bit of a stretch compared to week 3 but gotta get through the first session and hopefully away i go then :)

Advertisement