Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Great posts UL Student!

Glad to see that so many people have taken up the C25K. Even thought C25K is great for weightloss, running in general is a great boost and I often find myself turning to a quick run instead of a piece of food these days when I'm stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Thanks.

For me, sometimes there is nothing better for my stress than a half hour pounding the gravel. Feel great. I have come up with some of the best solutions to probles when i wass out on a stress run! Same with college assignments, when i hit a writers block, i have come up with breakthoughs when out on a run.

I have a feeling that everybody here soon will have no probels and be more intelligent from all the great ideas we get when out running!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

the app i downlaoded to my i pod is basically just a stop watch on the screen with prompts run.. walk.. run.. walk ( you get the picture ! ) i use my owm play list and the queues cut over it. maybe i downloaded the wrong podcast ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

the app i downlaoded to my i pod is basically just a stop watch on the screen with prompts run.. walk.. run.. walk ( you get the picture ! ) i use my owm play list and the queues cut over it. maybe i downloaded the wrong podcast ?

Cool! What kind of ipod do you have? I just have a normal podcast with an audio track telling me when to run/walk etc.

its an i touch ! santa brought it ... i was a very good girl;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

That sounds great! I'd much rather listen to my own music but my mp3 player isn't an iPod unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

Well i did W4 D2 last night.

It wasnt great the hardest so far. The 1st 3 min stint was ok, tough but ok. The 1st 5 min stint was so tough, I made it but nearly threw up when i stopped! The second 3 mins was a breeze i nearly didnt realise the 3 mins was up. The last 5 mins was badly timed cause it came about while i was going up a hill and i only managed about 4 minutes!!!

I felt crap then for not making the 5 but my legs were like jelly they just wouldn't carry me.

I'm hoping W4 D3 will be better, God knows how i will manage wk 5:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hey guys

You're all doing so well. Remember some runs you're just not going to enjoy. I have to admit I haven't been enjoying any of my runs in the last week or two. :( But I've enjoyed the buzz at the end, and the fact that I'm getting out there and seeing results. The C25k plan is great that way. Even if you find it tough some mornings/ evenings you're still improving your fitness all the time! Which makes you feel good about yourself. On Week 6 of the program I didn't think I was able for it long-term but then felt great on Week 7.

And here is an incentive for those of you who are trying to lose weight. I began Weight Watchers 7 weeks ago (3rd March and I was on Week 4 of C25k ). I lost 4lbs the first week. And then I was losing 1lb/ 1 1/2 lb/ no change each week. Last week I was doing Week 9 of C25k. I was worried about weigh-in because I'd eaten my mums yummy dinner and extra helpings x 2 on Easter Sunday. I ate two Easter Eggs, coffee cake/victoria sponge .....you know yourselves!!:mad: But I still kept up my C25k

Now, because in my head I know that I'm fitter, I'm more inclined to walk/ cycle instead of drive/get the bus so at this stage I'm being more active because I find it easier.

Ok, so my point is, the reward I got from completeing Week 9 of C25k is I lost 4lbs in WW!!! :eek:

I think 4lbs is incredible at this stage of WW and wasn't expecting/deserving of it at all based on my diet. I had gone way over my points(I had to stop counting) . But I'm obviously burning up massive calories out there on these long (for me) runs.

I know some of you have hit a plateau with your weight loss and I just thought this might help you. Keep with C25k .....maybe its the little kick your body needs. No pain no gain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

It is incredible alright dollixmix to lose 4lbs so far in in WW, well done!! You muct be thrilled.

Killykilly, i remember my first 5 minute run as well, though i was going to die.It just seems so so long. I also felt the same when it went from 60seconds to 90, the 90 seconds felt like about 10 mins.

I have to say am onto W7D2, will do this either tomor or sunday but I really really feel strong this week. I mean I just could explode with pride when I finish the 25 mins. Also I dont realise how hard i am working until it comes to the cool down and my legs are like wwwwwwwwwwoaaaaaaaah what happened!

It is incredible alright dollixmix to lose 4lbs so far in in WW, well done!! You muct be thrilled.

Killykilly, i remember my first 5 minute run as well, though i was going to die.It just seems so so long. I also felt the same when it went from 60seconds to 90, the 90 seconds felt like about 10 mins.

I have to say am onto W7D2, will do this either tomor or sunday but I really really feel strong this week. I mean I just could explode with pride when I finish the 25 mins. Also I dont realise how hard i am working until it comes to the cool down and my legs are like wwwwwwwwwwoaaaaaaaah what happened!

Brilliant: Love that description!

I'm going out now for my long run and I'm kind of dreading it because I've been finding it hard the last few times....but this is getting me all eager again!

• Advertisement

fantastic loss . congrats what a great feeling :D

Well girls....W5D3 done and dusted :D:D Knew I was worrying about nothing but I guess having a day off work yesterday really didn't help-I had loads of time on my hands to worry about it! Even had a teary moment where I questioned why the hell I'm doing this in the first place!

I downloaded the Running into Shape podcast last night because I didn't like the music that was in the other one and I'm soo glad I did! The songs were great, really poppy and upbeat and kept me going. My energy started to flag with about 5 mins to go and my left shin started to twinge a bit. But soon after that Avril Lavinge's 'Girlfriend' came on and its beat was right for my strides and I got my second wind! Destiny's child 'Survivor' came on and I was singing along not thinking about the running when the voice came on to tell me the time was up! I was kinda annoyed cos I wanted to keep running to Survivor :D V funny! My legs felt really odd when I started walking-kinda wobbly, but that went away after a bit.

I just wanted to say thanks a million to the girls here for reassuring me last night that I'd be ok. Was worried about it all day and I didn't really want to post anything about it for fear of sounding like a moaner but when I finally did post, and read the replies, I felt instantly better. Better out than in I guess :D

(At the risk of sounding self centered) I feel great now, really proud of myself! I would have never thought I'd be able to jog 20 mins straight nevermind actually enjoy it! Off to book a place in the Phoenix Park 5K (9th May). Now I know I can do 20 mins, a 5K (30+ mins)doesn't seem so daunting! :D

Best of luck to everyone on their runs today/this weekend. And try not to worry about the longer ones up ahead of you. If I can do it so can you! Like dolliemix said, there will be days where you don't have a great run or you have to run less than whats in the program. Don't get disappointed with yourself and give up totally. I had a bad run last week but hopped back on the jogging wagon and kept going. We'll be here to give you support if you need it! xx

PS Thats fantastic dolliemix! Just shows what a difference the running really does make! xx
    PPS Kilkilly You can do it! I know W5 looks really daunting but add up the running times for each day. On W5D1 you're running 1 min less in total than W4D3 and on W5D2 you're doing the same amount of running just with less walking. Try not to think too much about W5D3 (like I did), it actually isn't too bad! Just looks it on paper! The key is to take it slowly and not think about how long you still have to run :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Well done brainy!

You are great - I am sitting here thinking about going out and your post just inspired me to get off computer and get going!

Thanks

Well girls....W5D3 done and dusted :D:D Knew I was worrying about nothing but I guess having a day off work yesterday really didn't help-I had loads of time on my hands to worry about it! Even had a teary moment where I questioned why the hell I'm doing this in the first place!

I downloaded the Running into Shape podcast last night because I didn't like the music that was in the other one and I'm soo glad I did! The songs were great, really poppy and upbeat and kept me going. My energy started to flag with about 5 mins to go and my left shin started to twinge a bit. But soon after that Avril Lavinge's 'Girlfriend' came on and its beat was right for my strides and I got my second wind! Destiny's child 'Survivor' came on and I was singing along not thinking about the running when the voice came on to tell me the time was up! I was kinda annoyed cos I wanted to keep running to Survivor :D V funny! My legs felt really odd when I started walking-kinda wobbly, but that went away after a bit.

I just wanted to say thanks a million to the girls here for reassuring me last night that I'd be ok. Was worried about it all day and I didn't really want to post anything about it for fear of sounding like a moaner but when I finally did post, and read the replies, I felt instantly better. Better out than in I guess :D

(At the risk of sounding self centered) I feel great now, really proud of myself! I would have never thought I'd be able to jog 20 mins straight nevermind actually enjoy it! Off to book a place in the Phoenix Park 5K (9th May). Now I know I can do 20 mins, a 5K (30+ mins)doesn't seem so daunting! :D

Best of luck to everyone on their runs today/this weekend. And try not to worry about the longer ones up ahead of you. If I can do it so can you! Like dolliemix said, there will be days where you don't have a great run or you have to run less than whats in the program. Don't get disappointed with yourself and give up totally. I had a bad run last week but hopped back on the jogging wagon and kept going. We'll be here to give you support if you need it! xx

Well done you!

Haha ...I'm like that with music too!

here's a song for you....I use this to keep me going

Well done brainy!

You are great - I am sitting here thinking about going out and your post just inspired me to get off computer and get going!

Thanks

Woohoo best of luck with it! Who knew that one day I'd be motivating others to jog :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Oh is that only for Ipods???
    That sounds great! I'd much rather listen to my own music but my mp3 player isn't an iPod unfortunately.

I agree - what can us non Ipod users use??? We are not an extinct breed... Ipods stink :eek::eek: Yes I said it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Brainy I'm sooooooooooo delighted for you! Congrats! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Pembily wrote: »
    Oh is that only for Ipods???

I agree - what can us non Ipod users use??? We are not an extinct breed... Ipods stink :eek::eek: Yes I said it :D

Use the running into shape one! I'm also anti i-pods. Anti apple in general really! I've a lovely big Creative Zen 60 GB! Yes, it is like a brick but I LOVE her :D And she has fallen onto the path so many times and has so many chips but slogs on through. Not many i-pods can say that. I look at an i pod and it breaks! Stupid Mp4 :mad::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

well done brainey!! i had myself worked up before the 20minute run as well, all stressed about it thinking i would all at the hurdle!!

Go you and GO US!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭ChillyJilly

Add me to this! Started it back in October but got a busted ankle (non-running related injury... more of a one-shoe related injury!)

Going to start it again tommorrow morning, now that the sun is shining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

Just want to say that you guys are a complete inspiration! Am on W1D3 of the program, so pretty much the beginning and thinking that I will never be able to run for 20mins solid. This thread has been great motivation.

snap snowfinch. just completed w1d3 this morning, finding ot ok so far but im sure there is waaayyyy worse to come :D

as for you non i pod users awwww :p all i can say is its a great programme, counts down the time on the screen displays time used and time remaining. whatever programme you use , the end result will be the Same... a whole herd of us gazelle like humans beating along the roads, trim fit and lookin GOOD :D:D

Brainy I'm sooooooooooo delighted for you! Congrats! xx

Thank u :D Thank you for all the support last night, you Melia and Pem were fab! :D
    well done brainey!! i had myself worked up before the 20minute run as well, all stressed about it thinking i would all at the hurdle!!
    Go you and GO US!!

Thank u! Its great to know that you and dolliemix have done it and got through it already. Makes it a bit less daunting to know that it can be done!
    Go boards.ie C25K-ers :D:D
    snowfinch wrote: »
    Just want to say that you guys are a complete inspiration! Am on W1D3 of the program, so pretty much the beginning and thinking that I will never be able to run for 20mins solid. This thread has been great motivation.

If I did it then you will definitely be able to do it! Have faith in yourself :D Your body can do a lot more than the mind thinks it can :D:D
    snap snowfinch. just completed w1d3 this morning, finding ot ok so far but im sure there is waaayyyy worse to come :D

as for you non i pod users awwww :p all i can say is its a great programme, counts down the time on the screen displays time used and time remaining. whatever programme you use , the end result will be the Same... a whole herd of us gazelle like humans beating along the roads, trim fit and lookin GOOD :D:D

Hehe and so a new race of gazelle like humans are born, spreading the C25K message throughout the world, banishing obesity completely :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Ok you can now officially add me to the list as I completed W1D1 today! As I said on my food diary, I had a few technical diffculties as I was listening to one of the podcasts that is just speaking and it kept pausing whenever my iPod locked. Then I kept skipping forward by accidentally bumping off it when I wasn't allowing it to lock.

I couldn't believe it when I finished the full workout though! I didn't feel crap and I was still breathing so it was great! Any other time I have attempted to start it I have only done 6 jogs instead of 8 so when I completed it I felt like jumping up and down for joy, but I was a bit too tired :D

The advice on here has been great as well. It was all in my head as I went along and I think that played a huge part in me being able to keep going so thanks so much for that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

PS Thats fantastic dolliemix! Just shows what a difference the running really does make! xx
    PPS Kilkilly You can do it! I know W5 looks really daunting but add up the running times for each day. On W5D1 you're running 1 min less in total than W4D3 and on W5D2 you're doing the same amount of running just with less walking. Try not to think too much about W5D3 (like I did), it actually isn't too bad! Just looks it on paper! The key is to take it slowly and not think about how long you still have to run :)

Fair play BN! You really are doing fab!:D
    I must download the Running into Shape podcast cos the one I have at the mo just talks, no music:( and I can't figure out how to get it to work alongside my own playlist:o

Managed to get back into C25K today after a wee bit of a hiatus and I'm glad to be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

Well, attempted W4D1 today, and would have finished it too if the damn park hadn't closed! I got kicked out just before my last run. The first three minute run was fine, I was kind of shocked. The five minute run was tough and I admit I paused the podcast during it and walked for about fifteen seconds till I got to the crest of the hill I was on. Managed the second three minute run fine and was almost looking forward to the last five minute run when a man came over to tell me they were locking the gates.

So I went for a walk in the woods on my way home! I walked very fast for about 45 minutes.

I might redo W4D1 tomorrow.

ergonomics wrote: »
    Ok you can now officially add me to the list as I completed W1D1 today!
    The advice on here has been great as well. It was all in my head as I went along and I think that played a huge part in me being able to keep going so thanks so much for that!!!

Woohoo thats fab ergo, well done!! :)
    Fair play BN! You really are doing fab!
    I must download the Running into Shape podcast cos the one I have at the mo just talks, no music and I can't figure out how to get it to work alongside my own playlist

Managed to get back into C25K today after a wee bit of a hiatus and I'm glad to be back!

Thanks hun! :) The running into shape podcast is good, tho her voice is a little annoying at times. Was using the guy who just talks, no music up until yesterday but I thought I needed a bit of music to keep me going for the 20mins so downloaded the W5 podcast. The songs are reallly poppy which is good but some of them have odd beats, would prefer if I had songs that I could jog to the beat!
    I think there's a podcast that you can add your own music to, but I haven't tried that yet sorry!

Well done for getting back into it! :)
    Melia wrote: »
    Well, attempted W4D1 today, and would have finished it too if the damn park hadn't closed! I got kicked out just before my last run. The first three minute run was fine, I was kind of shocked. The five minute run was tough and I admit I paused the podcast during it and walked for about fifteen seconds till I got to the crest of the hill I was on. Managed the second three minute run fine and was almost looking forward to the last five minute run when a man came over to tell me they were locking the gates.

So I went for a walk in the woods on my way home! I walked very fast for about 45 minutes.

I might redo W4D1 tomorrow.

Why didn't you just jog out of the park and do the 5 mins on the road/path? Well done for doing it tho! :D

Why didn't you just jog out of the park and do the 5 mins on the road/path? Well done for doing it tho! :D

I was parked in the car park, so my car would have been locked in. Technically I could have driven a bit and found somewhere else and gone off for my five minute jog, but it would have left me with at least a 15 minute break before it anyway. I was pretty happy with my walk. I'll get there eventually!

I've sussed out a nice flat route now which doesn't close at half eight!

Melia wrote: »
    I was parked in the car park, so my car would have been locked in. Technically I could have driven a bit and found somewhere else and gone off for my five minute jog, but it would have left me with at least a 15 minute break before it anyway. I was pretty happy with my walk. I'll get there eventually!

I've sussed out a nice flat route now which doesn't close at half eight!

Aaah I see! The walk prob did more good anyway than 5 mins of jogging! Half 8 is v early for a park to close, especially on a gorgeous sunny day like this!

• Advertisement

I know! They're still on spring opening hours. It was very hilly anyway, a bit easier than my usual like-scaling-a-cliff-face-by-jogging-up-it hill, but still tough. I might stick to the flat routes till I find these longer jogs a bit easier!

Advertisement