Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hey, just popping in to say best of luck to all of you guys with Couch to 5k, it's what got me hooked on running a couple of years ago :) Great to see so many of you giving it a go, and hopefully I'll see some of you at the Women's Mini-Marathon in June!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Melia wrote: »
    I know! They're still on spring opening hours. It was very hilly anyway, a bit easier than my usual like-scaling-a-cliff-face-by-jogging-up-it hill, but still tough. I might stick to the flat routes till I find these longer jogs a bit easier!

Haha yeah I wouldn't be able for jogging on hills at all at the mo, theres a small bit of a hill in the middle of the jog and my legs are like-what the hell are you doing?!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

hi all, was supposed to do w1d2 yesterday but didnt get home from work til l10pm and had to be up at 4.30am this morning so didnt get to do it. ill be finished work by 2pm today so hoping ill get out to do it today instead.

I have to admit i was quite shocked at the fact that i was not impressed that i didnt get out to do it yesterday. ive never been one for strenuous exercise. i usually hate the whole working up a sweat pounding the pavement thing but i really was dissappointed that i didnt get out yesterday. i wouldnt say i was looking forward to it but i definatley wanted to go out and do it so thats gotta be a good sign right??

anyway ill post later to let ye know how i got on and im hoping by saying that i will post then i will go out and do it as an update may be expected;)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Well I've just done W2D2 and not sure if morning running is for me , although have to say anyone who has the time put your runners on today and get out - its a beautiful day... in Dublin anyways!

I found it tough enough, and I was beetroot red - lots of older people out walking at that hour of the morn who were smiling at me sympathetically so I must have looked very wrecked:)

Now that the evenings are brighter and peole can see me I may have to start wearing makeup to counter the pinkness!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

For some reason I'm not getting email updates for this thread so just checking in every so often!

Well done to all who are still going strong. I've only done w1d1 but hoping to get out today and tom for the other days. Got a new phone yesterday and have been addicted to it ever since so I need to pull myself away and put on my runners!

• Advertisement

Went out for a walk this morning (Rest day from C25K) and there were loads of people out walking and jogging! Way more than usual, I guess when the good weather hits, people start getting active again :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

I bet they've all started C25K because of our good example, BN!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Well I started Wk2 d1 today! I jumped a day because I realised the marathon is closer than 9 weeks and I figured cos I had done some little bits of running it wouldn't be too bad! I'm delighted I did cos I had a great time! The 90 second runs felt just the same as the 60 seconds! My only issue was I was a bit crampy (TOTM) which made it difficult at times but I was grand! :D

Lovely day for it too! Although I was sweltering and red faced by the end!!!!

Great!

It's sometimes hard motivating yourself to go out when you're feeling crampy, but exercise definitely helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

*Snap* Doctorwhogirl! :D I had a great time doing W2D1. Thought I wouldn't but it's so sunny out and I liked jogging for the 90 sec a lot more than 60 sec. The little park was closed, so I ran down along the quays. I hate running on concrete. Hurts the musces on side of my shins. I bandaged them with my boxing bandages when I came in!

I saw a load of joggers today, one girl was across the road, and looked like a pretty seasoned jogger. I kept up with her for my full 90 sec. I is proud :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

I started week 2 today too! I definitely enjoyed the longer runs more, it's easier to just keep going once you get started.. for the moment anyway :)

Woohoo for the W2D1-ers :D:D It definitely gets more enjoyable with the longer runs, I think I definitely enjoyed week 3 and 4 the most! It wasn't that I didn't enjoy week 5, just that W5D3 was looming on the horizon! :D

I'm going out early tomorrow for my next week 4 session... looking forward to seeing if I can manage the two five-minute jogs!

I hope the weather stays good.

Melia wrote: »
    I'm going out early tomorrow for my next week 4 session... looking forward to seeing if I can manage the two five-minute jogs!

I hope the weather stays good.

You'll fly it don't worry! Apparently we're getting good weather for the next few days anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ms. Crabapple

Hi all,

You're all doing so great with the programme. Started myself yest but it turns out it wasn't the c25k I'd started!! :rolleyes: Instead I think I'm going to do my own programme. I don't want to bring ipod with me as Id rather be aware of things going on around me (cars/bikes etc) and I think the 90 second break will be too confusing for me to figure out as I'll be using the stopwatch on my phone. A couple of years ago I did this and I built up to 30 mins but then exams and whatnot got in the way so I know I can do it again. Going out in the morning and I'm really looking forward to it.

Again just want to say that its fab that so many have got involved in this. I know that when I was doing it a few years ago I loved it. I've done lots of running/sprinting since for football but I prefer not havin someone shouting at me to run faster:P I prefer to do it on my own terms. Nite everyone xx ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

Got out this morning nice and early at 9am!

I'm on W1D2 (again!), I'm so glad I decided to repeat the week over because the first time I did it, it was so sporadic but I'm able to focus on it more now.

Such a beautiful morning out! I drove down to an industrial estate near me as it's really nicely done up with beautiful tree-lined pavements and I always love driving through it so I said I'd give it a shot running there. It's so much easier to run when you don't have to be as aware of traffic, so I think I'll head out there anymore.

There was loads of people out at that time, mostly walkers but a few joggers - I passed one girl walking in a long sleeved fleece and a scarf:eek: I was roasting in a t-shirt!

Hope everybody who gets out today has a good run!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

hi all! well i got out yesterday for w1d2 and have to say really enjoyed it!!never thought id see the day that i enjoyed jogging!

since it was such a nice day out me and the oh went to the phoenix park to do it. we parked up at the castleknock gate and took it from there heading towards the zoo. i honestly didnt think the program would take us as far as the zoo but we ended up finishing the last run right at the other end of the park:eek::eek::eek::eek:. i didnt realise just how much ground you cover when doing it.there was loads of people out walking, running, jogging, strolling, and enjoying the sunshine which i think just makes everyone more happy.:)

i was really proud of myself at the end of it. i managed to do all of the runs this time round and am really looking forward to getting out again tomorrow for day3!

was just wondering about eating before the runs how long do people leave after eating before going out? My oh doesnt get in from work till 6 and does be famished so we will be having dinner before we head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Sunny day! :D My Asics came and they really are gel cushionny good :D I tested them with some skipping. My leg still hurts though, never fully healed.

Walked down to the end of the quay & back with my boyf (1.2 km each way). He is rehabbing a broken leg so it was good for him. Think I'll cycle down later, really wanna test out my DB. I'm so scared though, don't wanna be hit by a car on the mean streets of the city centre!

Edit: Back from my cycle!! I was scared at first, and wobbly. And embarrassed. But then I really enjoyed it and it's exciting! Like you pedal faster and you go faster & feel the breeze, then you can just free wheel down slopes and going over cobble stones is all shaky. Class! I can see why kids love bikes so much :D

I was on a cycle path though so was safe from the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I'm off to do W1D2 soon enough. I'm trying to let it cool down a bit first as I don't want to die! Going to head out in about half an hour. Looking for a nice, cool shower afterwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Don't forget your suncream! P20 is very good for running on sunny days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Don't forget your suncream! P20 is very good for running on sunny days.

I forgot! Big lobster head on me now :( I'll know better in future!

The run today was great though. After run 6 I felt terrible and decided I wouldn't run again. Next thing my podcast told me that it was time to run and off I went! Couldn't believe it as I really didn't think I had it in me. I completed the full 8 runs again today so feeling very proud. I was sweating buckets when I got home which gives a nice sense of achievement :D

I tried listening to a podcast with music this time. I think it made the time go faster but at the same time the tempo of the music made me run a bit faster than I normally would. That said, it didn't kill me so that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm still having technical difficulties though; this podcast was split into sections and my iPod get closing and going to the home menu 10 seconds into each section. Not sure what's happening with it but at least I was able to easily skip to the section I needed each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Congrats Ergo! I was almost annoyed today was a rest day! Wanted to get out and go!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FreeHugs

Hi, I'm new *waves and kicks ground nervously* I'll be starting up my food diary soon in this forum and I was so worried about what I can do exercise wise to keep healthy but the Couch to 5K idea seems perfect for me, going to start later this evening!!

FreeHugs wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new *waves and kicks ground nervously* I'll be starting up my food diary soon in this forum and I was so worried about what I can do exercise wise to keep healthy but the Couch to 5K idea seems perfect for me, going to start later this evening!!

Welcome! C25K is actually really good fun plus you've got the best weather all year to start! Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

What an amazing day! Lovely weather to complete Week 2, which I managed this morning! Looking forward to getting started on Week 3 :)

Welcome! C25K is actually really good fun plus you've got the best weather all year to start! Good luck!
    I'm not able to use the thank you button yet, so *thank you!* I'm really excited :D

Dolorous wrote: »
    What an amazing day! Lovely weather to complete Week 2, which I managed this morning! Looking forward to getting started on Week 3 :)

Well done! I was quite sad that today was a rest day so I missed the lovely weather. Fingers crossed tomorrow will be nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

W2 DI completed this morning. what a fab day.. i found the run a liitle tougher but ok overall. looking forward to the next run :D

Workout 1 of weekone done..... oww. I'm so out of shape!! Though I did myself no favours by starting off going uphill, or by not streaching enough.
    Anyway that's the first time I've ever been jogging of my own free will and I'm really proud of myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭LessMass

Tonight Matthew I'm going to be.......a C25K-er!!

Well thanks to all you lovely ladies I just completed W1D1 and it wasn't too bad at all!! even though I did feel sick at the thoughts of it as I was putting my runners on!!
    I left it until tonight cos I thought I'd surely keel over in the heat today...it's been an awfully long time since I've ran so I'm delighted and can't wait until Tues but I'll be pushing a buggy with a nine month old in it on Tues so it may not be as comfortable for me...we'll see.
    I used the podcast without the music and it helped me concentrate on my breathing which I find really helpful....I'm delighted :D:D:D

Thank you all for the inspiration....I know I definitely wouldn't have started this without you all xxxxxxxx

Advertisement