Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automatics dring more juice than manuals? How much more?

• 30-03-2010 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

How much would more would an Automatic Passat drink more than a manual?

Even approx.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

new or old shape?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

See Volkswagen Passat Gas Mileage – 1990-2008 chart for standard and automatic transmissions http://www.mpgomatic.com/2008/01/05/volkswagen-passat-gas-mileage/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Depends on a lot of factors.

I had 2 Safranes, the first a 2.0 manual and the 2nd a 2.5 auto, both petrol. The 2.0 was underpowered for the size of the car . I got the exact same milage from both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Same as above, also depends on driving style. If you push a manual high up the revs before changing gear, you'll burn lots of juice. An auto on the other hand, changes gear when its supposed to, unless you replicate the above by using "Sport Mode". Car type matters also. Old Fords, as in Cortina MK 2's for example, often were more economical in a 1.6 as opposed to the 1.3, because the body was too big and heavy for the smaller engine. Overall, I don't think there's a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Also consider the fact that auto is better (not looking to start an auto vs manual debate, it just is, right :) ) so even a bit of an increase in fuel consumption would be a small price o pay to be in a nice auto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I bought my first automatic car over a month ago. I don't think I will go back to manual ever again.

Drinks a bit more petrol than the manual. But it's worth the extra 100 euro a year.

Advertisement