Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Needs Advice!

Options
  • 30-03-2010 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a pretty old laptop, its a Dell Inspiron 630m. Not in a position to buy a new laptop so Ive been doing some upgrading on it, new RAM, new battery, reinstall Windows, things like that, and educating myself along the way. Now my hard drive is a shocking 40gb, everytime I want to download/install something I have to delete something else. Ive tried to research the best value or most efficient way of upgrading, but I feel like Im going round in circles. So I need to tap the significant knowledge of the boards techies! Few questions:

Should I get an internal or external hard drive?
    Im thinking internal would be faster, I could put my old HD into a caddy and use that as an external HD, but have the larger one with most of my stuff internally.

If I opt for an internal HD, should it be PATA, SATA, IDE, BBC, TnaG?
    Tbh Ive tried to find this out and different places give different answers. Ive no idea what the difference is between the lot of them and my head is melted trying to make sense of it all!

Should I just buy an external 1tb HD?
    I only have a USB port so if I was downloading a film say off the internet Im not sure if it would take longer to transfer to an external HD, or if I could download it straight to the external HD and how fast this would be. Is it possible to install a SATA port or would this be worthwhile?

Feel free to correct and educate me, all help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

According to the internetz, you would need a 2.5" IDE drive to put in the 630m.

Just buy the external HDD I'd say, it will still be miles faster than any internet connection if downloading to it directly so you wouldn't notice any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

Not only that, but you could get an absolute bucket of storage, by comparison, if you went with the external. Handy if you'll be doing heavy duty downloading and don't want to spend a more later on on more space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Do you mean downloading from the internet to an external HD drive as opposed to downloading to an internal HD would be the same speed?

Without an unnaturally fast internet connection, it's hard to see the USB being the bottleneck man :)

Ah, thats intersting. Ill prob just get a 1tb hard drive so, seems to be good value in them. Also one last question, is it possible to install programs on the external HD and run them from it. Im not sure I'd need to but just in case?

• Advertisement

Yeah, totally doable for most applications, though in those cases you might see a bit of lag. If I were you I'd keep things installed on internal and use an external for media :)

Yeah thats the plan alright, thanks for all the help lads!

Advertisement